Doctor visit...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DAYWALKER

Doctor visit...

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha ALL,

First of all, I feel REALLY silly threading this after what my Canadian Knifebrother "Terminator Bunny" has gone through, but pain sucks and I am hurting! :o

On the 7th of this month, I had to break up a fight, and took down the inmate who was "winning". Anyway, I did not notice any pain in my chest area...just the "normal" pain to my left knee and elbow. This is natural when you hip throw someone and land on concrete!

Chest pain started to reveal itself to me on the morning of the 8th, and has gotten progressively worse. Saw the doctor today, and he said that I had some kinda "infrasomethingortheother" OR I may have damaged a nerve, OR I did in fact hairline or pop a rib or two outta place. Xrays and some kinda electrotherapy he suggested. That'd take two to three weeks for work comp to approve. :mad: Cortizone shot offered. I refused...Pain pills? I refused again. These things only mask the pain, something I don't want.

Chiropractor. I know a good one who is also a Martial Artist...I just wanna know if I popped something outta place, and this guy is good and can tell by touch if I did. I hope. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I would truly appreciate any prayers regarding this localized injury I sustained most likely by landing on the inmates chin. Think of falling forcefully onto a rounded table corner...ow.

Doctor suggested a week out of ****, as I did express my disgust of feeling..."vulnerable". However, i do not know the Work Comp ropes, so I return to **** tomorrow. Meantime though, I know a few guys who were out on WC, and will find out the scoops. I asked my COS what the details on this were, and he didn't help very much... :mad:

Me: "So Cap, should I go out on WC, the first three days are taken from my sick leave, correct? Now, IF I stayed out a week, would my sick get used and does the 2/3 pay come in immediately as to not disrupt my paycheck OR is there a lag and is the WC check seperate?"

COS: "Well, first it has to be approved...see, according to policy when the last Governor prior to his leaving office, somewhere more Americans chose JIF. I forwarded all your reports and paperwork to the admins on Oahu, and perhaps the possible lag, if any, might be affected by San francisco mint ice cream, my favorite flavor which is in fact reliable aside from what I was told about the procedure that, well, I do have a tin of altoids."

What?!!

Anyway, I thank everyone who emailed me regarding my injuries regarding that takedown. Also, I attached a pic of me holding where the injury is This was right before leaving for the doctor, I just noticed how happy I look :rolleyes: ...perhaps someone here, most likely Pat, has had the same injury in the same location? Thanks deeker, for sharing your horror stories with me...now perhaps for a few more. When I lift something, cough, or laugh...it hurts. It has been affecting my sleep big time. When I sneeze...oh man, feels like I just took one from a 12gauge! :eek:

Mahalo much, God bless, and thanks for reading...
Attachments
owch.jpg
owch.jpg (60.48 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

My friend, I'm wishing you the best possible, painless, and speedy recovery. For sure! Take care Chad.

Post by 224477 »

Dear Chad,
I hope you will be soon OK. We need more of your outstanding designs! Sorry for your injury. I am thinking oy you anytime I touch the SCF ;)
Will Email you soon!
Take care,
Jano
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hope you feel better soon Chad.

Don't you have a union rep that you can call for the straight dope on Workers Comp? Know that here in NY you can screw up a claim by going back to work after being told not to by the comp doctor. Here what would happen, timewise is that all time you took off would originally be charge to sick leave (assuming you had enough on the books to cover it) then, once the claim is approved as a WC case, you get remibursed in time. But we do have to "play by their (the WC folks) rules" fill out tons of paperwork and stay out when they tell us to, go back when they tell us to.

Based on the spot you're pointing to, think you can rule out a "popped" rib, they hurt like ****, but the pain is either right at the sternum or right at the spine. Cracked rib and the bruised muscles that go with it will hurt right at the injury site. Had those twice, once from a racing accident, once from slipping in the shower and landing on the edge of the tub.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

greencobra wrote:My friend, I'm wishing you the best possible, painless, and speedy recovery. For sure! Take care Chad.
Mahalo GC...I think a case of MacCheese oughta do it! :rolleyes:

God bless and take care :cool:

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

[quote="224477"]Dear Chad,
I hope you will be soon OK. We need more of your outstanding designs! Sorry for your injury. I am thinking oy you anytime I touch the SCF ]

Mahalo much Jano,

I dunno about "more of my outstanding designs"...I am still waiting on my actual first one! :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: !!! :D

God bless and be good! :cool:

DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

The Deacon wrote:Hope you feel better soon Chad.

Don't you have a union rep that you can call for the straight dope on Workers Comp? Know that here in NY you can screw up a claim by going back to work after being told not to by the comp doctor. Here what would happen, timewise is that all time you took off would originally be charge to sick leave (assuming you had enough on the books to cover it) then, once the claim is approved as a WC case, you get remibursed in time. But we do have to "play by their (the WC folks) rules" fill out tons of paperwork and stay out when they tell us to, go back when they tell us to.

Based on the spot you're pointing to, think you can rule out a "popped" rib, they hurt like ****, but the pain is either right at the sternum or right at the spine. Cracked rib and the bruised muscles that go with it will hurt right at the injury site. Had those twice, once from a racing accident, once from slipping in the shower and landing on the edge of the tub.
Aloha Deac',

The doctor I saw today was not a comp doctor...just my regular physician. The comp docs are all on another island IIRC. Thanks for the info though, and yes, we have a Union...how helpful they will be in this case, I dunno. Hopefully better than our COS was!

Yeah, I popped a rib outta place shooting in on one of my training partners in 2003. In fact, I think I emailed you about it then? Felt it from my spine moving outwards in terms of the pain. Darn thing took almost a month to heal!

This one is localized...like, right by the serratus area and i can feel it towards the sternum. Where my whole hand is, that's where it hurts.

The tub story rings a bell...I think I did tell you about that other injury, and then you scared me with that tub story...thanks for scaring me again. :eek: :p

God bless and take CARE! :cool:

Damage1978

Post by Damage1978 »

Chad,
Sorry to hear about the injury, I hope you get well soon.

Take care.
Dan
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

Chad

Hope you have a speedy and full recovery (and successful dealings with WC!)

By the way, painkillers do just mask the pain but, they can help you avoid the "protective" response where you reactively (and continuously) tense the muscles around the site of the injury (to protect it) often causing them to spasm. But maybe that's just me :o

Get well!!
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
pjrocco

Post by pjrocco »

I'm sorry to heard about your injury Chad. I wish you a speedy recovery, my prayers are with you my friend.

Take care and God bless! :)
Rock
thenick

Post by thenick »

Paperwork, always paperwork. Darn this sock! I just hope that the inmates are going to be quiet. Remember never to show that you are in pain because that would mean troubles for you.

Stay safe and for once let the inmates kill themselves and not you.

Go take some good time at the beach. Salt water is always good.
.:: TheNick ::.
Tank

Post by Tank »

Sorry to hear about your injury Chad, That really sucks. Not only do they hurt but they just get in the way of life. I hope you recover quickly. Those CO's of your make me cringe.. Sounds like they need to take a real shift and not just sit in the office....
Take care my friend.

Peace.
-John
Hannibal Lecter

Wow...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Chad,

Prayers sent, my friend, as always. Drop a note if you need anything.

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Rob

Post by Rob »

Chad, sorry about your injury. I hope you'll have a speedy recovery!

Get well soon,

Rob
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

Poor Chad ;)

I know it hurts and I'm glad to see you are not the type of Macho that will just live with the pain and admit it reduce your efficiency...

As for the Chiro, if it helps, fine. If not, try to go to a nice Osteopath. It's like Chiro, but they see the body as a full equilibrium of flow of energies instead of just a mass of nerves connexions from the spine.

I, personally have had much more recovery from a single visit to the second one than from 10 visits to a chiro. But that is just me.

As for the paper work, well, I guess it is the same all over the planet.

I will keep you in my thoughts... Stay alive...

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

To me , the problem comes from something quite obvious... you don't have enough body fat :D ! Start pounding some Big Macs to yourself. Two things would likely occur.1) If you land in the same way, two to three inches of fat will serve as a nice soft cushion or, 2) you'd be out of breath before you even reached the break-up, thereby saving yourself the need to rely on your new-found "body armour"!

My brother banged himself up a couple of months back by falling off a set of stairs landing on an above ground pool pump and the doc said he popped some of the intercostal muscles or connective tissue and his symtoms were similar to yours. I think rest was the only real answer. Maybe you could do some light duty(if there even is such a thing in your profession). Otherwise, you may have to book out even if it is a problem.

Take it easy, man, and let somebody else take up the slack for a bit. It sounds like you do more than your fair share as it is. :)
Woody

Post by Woody »

Prayers sent to ya Chad... Take care Bro......
Easer to ask for forgiveness than permission…. :p
vinnypie

Post by vinnypie »

hope your'e feeling better. please let us know what the doc. says. MOTRIN 800mg. works!! stay away from the narcotics. broke my wrist 6 mo. ago and had surgery and rods on the OUTSIDE of my arm for 2 mo., pins, screws, all that crap. after i left the hospital i took motrin and it worked just fine.

speedy recovery and i'll pray for you.

VINNY
better to have a knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
ront

Post by ront »

Hi Chad,
I hope the pain can be relieved soon!! I am very glad it was not worse!

Ron
Jurphaas

Well wishes from the NL

Post by Jurphaas »

Aloha Chad - Sure hope you'll be feeling better soon. Pain sucks big time. Next time before you jump tell that sucker to pull in his chin...or else you will sue him for damages...LOL!
Jurphaas. :D
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *