A little about yourself

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
rickh

A little about yourself

Post by rickh »

Hello everyone, I've been on this forum for about a year now and have learned quite a bit about the great Spyderco. After reading so many post by you all I'm interested to know a little more about all the interesting people here. Like what are your interest, music, hobbies, career, etc. Myself, I'm a commercial photographer. I mainly photograph people for advertising, brochures and annual reports. It is my job but its something I find myself doing even when I have free time on my hands, photographing things for myself. Other than Spyderco knives I love reading, mainly photographer monographs, history books and a little espionage fiction. I've got a small library. I also have two German Shepherds which are like my kids, (see avatar),that I like to spend time with not to mention a wonderful girlfriend. My music interest are a little all over the place from old school jazz to something a more aggressive. And I love movies, foreign, action, drama, and comedy. Just curious to know a little about the people on this forum. Maybe one day there will be a annual Spyderco Forum get together. So what about everyone else?
Fall seven times, stand up eight (Japanese Proverb)
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

you shoot medium format?
rickh

Post by rickh »

severedthumbs wrote:you shoot medium format?
ST, I use to shoot a lot of medium format with a Hasselblad. Nowdays I shoot everything digital. I have to say I have not shot film in at least 3 years. In a way I miss it but shooting with a digital camera has a lot of benefits.Thats what my clients want and I like the instant gratification of knowing that I have the shot I need. The downside is I spend a lot more time in front of a computer. I still have a large format (4x5) camera but it hasn't been used in at least 3 years either.
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

Oh I meant MF with a digital back.

So you using a Canon dslr now? I really want to get a 1Ds Mark II.
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

21 year old kid. Was raised in the country, moved to Montreal for school a few years ago. I live on my own in my appartement so life is sometimes lonely and often tough. I'm a film student, wanting to be a critic, teacher or something of that nature. My mom is a teacher so I think I've always been into that branch, and teaching/discussing film theory is the best.

My two passions in life are movies and knives. I'm a tireless knife collector, and I like to try and play with as many things as I can. On a good day, I can also watch 3 or 4 movies. I like montage, scores and good acting in particular. Big Brando fan...and James Dean too of course.

No girlfriend at the moment, no kids that I know of(kidding, no kids for sure!), no pets although I have a thing for Dobermans. Musically I like the extremes in particular (classic and heavy metal, go figure!) but also love Elvis, Ray Charles, the Beatles, AC/DC and stuff like that.

Don't go out in bars too much. Takes me a while to get comfortable with people but the few that I bond with enjoy my strange sense of humor and way of dealing with stuff.

nice thread
-Dean
rickh

Post by rickh »

severedthumbs wrote:Oh I meant MF with a digital back.

So you using a Canon dslr now? I really want to get a 1Ds Mark II.
I do shoot with Canon 1DS MKll. A lot of my images are reproduced no larger that 8 1/ x 11. If needed I rent a digital back for medium format or use a Canon 1DS.
rickh

Post by rickh »

Thanks Jimmy Dean. Nice to know a little more about you. I'm like you, I can watch 3 or 4 movies in a row. I have rainy day marathons where I watched movies all day and into the night. I watched the whole Band of Brothers series in one setting. I'm not only watching and listening to the movie, but I also like the whole production aspect of the film, especially lighting and the choice of locations.
CKE

Post by CKE »

26, married for 2 years, 1 son 3 1/2 months. Cancer survivor. I too love movies and knives. Been a Spydie collector for around 10 years and have gotten into some higher end stuff as well. I am currently on disabilty recovering from oral cancer...coming up to the one year mark cancer free, thats big for me. I hate not working but my health and recovery are number one. Started to make my own knives in the last month or so and have lots of designs and steel for some more. 4 are at heat treat right now.
I am an apprentice machinist 4th year. When I get back to work I will write my ticket. For pets I have 1 dog, 1 rabbit, 1 goldfish and 4 snails.
Thats my story and I's sticking to it!!! :)
Craig
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

36 years old, married, two kids, two dogs, one cat, one mother-in-law, all in one house.

I grew up a country boy, spent a lot of time in the woods, roaming, camping, hunting.
I love collecting knives and firearms (although my knife collection has interfered with my firearms collection!).

I'm a corrections officer at a very large prison since 1990. Was a member of Corrections Emergency Response Team for six years, two years as a sniper. Also did a year on the Fire Emergency Response Team. Instructor in various subjects, including Threat Groups (Gangs), Immediate Responder, Practical Firearms, Defensive Tactics, CERT Baton, Riot Control, Chemical Munitions, and others.

Also enjoy drawing pen and ink, and pencil. Hopefully, this will evolve into my second career.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Silvercall

I'll play

Post by Silvercall »

Im 24, finishing up a Criminology diploma and planning to go into the RCMP (policing in general) or Customs. I have two fish, one is a fighting fish the other one is.... I really dont know what it is but it eats all the alge in my fish tank so its cool. I also like to watch movies, but i must admit my taste are probably not as sophistcated as the previous poster :o I did watch Band of Brothers also and loved it. I like to read; my girl freind says i could open a library with all my books. In fact when i have too many books i give them to the local library and they keep the ones they want and sell the ones they dont want. As for my music tastes.... we'll lets just say that i think im the odd one out in this group.... I listen mostly to R&B and Rap/hip-hop.... please dont hold it against me.
Its only recently that I've gotten into knives. My GF actually got me started by getting me a Cricket after my SAK broke. Now I have 3 Spyderco and i plan to get more eventually (the new forum knife is next on my list)
anyways thats a bit on myself.
Great thread btw
:spyder: Silvercall :spyder:
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

20 year old Engineering student at The University at Buffalo. I am a Right tackle, currently in Camp. Was born in Woodbury, connecticut, then move to Bronx, NY when I was 4 or 5. Went throgh elemantary and Middle school with good grades. Went into Hs, Played Football, Wrestling and Track. Did pretty well in those. 1 championship football season also was 2nd in city in shotput. Had really good grades in HS. 95% GPA with a 1280 SAT. Went to NYIT, then transfered to NYU but found it to hard and I also wanted to play football again, so now i am in University at Buffalo.

I live with my Mother and Brother. and my Cat chief. Image

She is pretty and Loves Turkey and treats,

My first passion is weight lifting. 2nd is computers which I excel at and love.

Knives really arent a passion, just a smaller Hobby. Not really a collector, just get a certain satisfaction from buying a Tool rather than electronics.

People say that my online English is horrible, but I have actually always done very well in English and writing in school, My prior 2 writing classes. 101 and 151(201) I recived a A and a B+. so it must be my typing.

I also love to debate people just to debate. I also love to spend my time researching, almost everything. Just to know it so I can debate people on it. I am almost never wrong and even if I know I am wrong you will never change my opinion and I will still always come out with a victory even if I am dead wrong which rarely happens.

I am 6'3 320 lbs

Bench=430lbs
Squat=655lbs
Powerclean=325bs
deadlift=430lbs

I wear a 3x shirt and have a size 18 3/4 neck and have a size 12 shoe and 14 sneaker.

My girlfriends name is Tal and she likes Alpacas.

Types of MusicI like
metal |||||| Soilwork,Tool, Unearth, Dream Theater, Sworn Enemy
Punk |||||| Pennywise,Operation Ivy, Lagwagon and Gold Finger.

hope thats enogh for ya guys.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Lets see...

21, living in my folks's basement for dirt cheap rent(free from sept-april while I'm in school this fall-spring).

Scouts Canada from 89-97, Air Cadets from 96-02(only got up to sgt due to politics, but I was on drill, range, flag party commander, rifle drill, honour guard, and trained with the biathalon team.... parade position depended on who showed up, everything from security to parade commander to medical).

I'd have gone Air Force if my knee wasn't fubar'd in grade 10 wrestling. Can wrap it up and do either long distance or heavy weight but not both... can't even pass the physical/medical to get into basic. At least I'm safe if we ever go to war :rolleyes:

Start school on sept 6th, Electronics Technician. 30 weeks, 100% employment :D ... 4yrs ago they made 3600/month right out of the course... who knows how much I'll make next summer.

Hobbies are anything that gets me outdoors(biking, jogging, walking for a couple hours in any weather[-30c to +40c, rain, snow], hitting the bush for a few days), knives(obviously :p , my grandfather started me on my 5th bday :D ), and I'll spend hours on end discussing philosophy. Music is pretty eclectic... anything but country and rap(or whatever they wanna refer to this new stuff as.. Dre, Nas and Snoop were good). COFFEE :p [I go through a pot a day now, was at 3 pots a day myself about 2-3 months ago, spending 10usd/lbs up to 36usd/lbs for my coffee]

Spent the last year working on my left wrist. Chipped cartiledge[TFCC]. 40lbs work load, but can do 100lbs if I can keep straight and only move it 1-2x, not the 100x I was doing at work of 200ish lbs at a time).

You'll notice Chad(Daywalker) refer to me as the energizer bunny or the terminator... in the last 4yrs(since spring 01): Right knee[twisted in wrestling, 250lbs opponent vs my 185lbs], both shoulders[bone chips, parked car at 1am biking home, did a number on both myself and the bike), 5 ribs(stone stairs, water on top step, flat on back and broke em), right lower jaw (chair in the face, braces saved 6 teeth from getting knocked out, hairline fracture in jaw resulted in 2 months of soup vs getting wired... constant migrane 4yrs later still), "exposed" bone on right hand(middle finger, strained enough times that it's open to injury from the palm if I grip wrong or too tight, base of finger rubs), Left wrist[chipped cartiledge on the TFCC, torn 2 ligaments due to that, pain and weakness all day every day. Pushed down and twisted to get up on a table at work all day/everyday for a month at work cutting insulation... something like 10K times before it 'finally' gave and I kept working for a month before 5lbs hurt to pick up].
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
dialex

Post by dialex »

I'm an old fart (see pic attached) ;) 39 years old (will be 40 this winter) :( , 173 cm tall and about 160 lbs ( I know, I know, but I'll lose some... some day) :o
Right now I'm working as a technical manager at a firm and I spend a lot of time at work (installing new equipment right now). Sometimes I hardly find time for my familly :( but I'm glad that they don't miss any of the material things.
I am a very rich man (although not in money), I consider myself to be just an average guy whom God has chosen to spoil, I'm married with a very special lady and we got two beautiful boys (will be 4 and 2 years old this winter) :D
I am an avid bookworm, I like computer games (especially real time strategies and first person shooters) and a good movie now and then. I like different sorts of music, from Strauss and Vivaldi to Santana and Sade, from Gary Moore and Robert Miles to Evanescence and NightWish. I am a bit embarrased to confess that I love cartoons :o
Oh, and knives, too, did I mention something about knives? :D
Attachments
family.jpg
family.jpg (74.13 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
DiALEX04.jpg
DiALEX04.jpg (35.21 KiB) Viewed 2023 times
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
CKE

Post by CKE »

Nice looking family there Alex.
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
rickh

Post by rickh »

Hey guys, thanks for responding. I think this is great. Its really good getting to know you all a little better, something more to put with a screen name and that individuals thoughts on the great Spyderco. Almost everyday I read the post here and sometimes I think, man I'd like to sit down and have a beer or cup of coffee with that person.
minnshooter

Post by minnshooter »

Well here goes, 31 yo married for 10 years now. Wow that's a long time. I have a 3 year old son, Zach who I love unconditionally. I spend most of my time either working around the house, hunting or fishing. I grew up in Southern California, just north of San Diego and I now live on 13 acres in rural Minnesota. I love the Midwest and I will never live in a big city ever again. I am in agricultural sales and travel just about every day. My favorite band is Pearl Jam, Ed Vedder is the MAN!!. I am including a pic of me and my 9 point buck that I got last year.

imgImageimg
rickh

Post by rickh »

CKE, wish you good health and a strong recovery.
Jimd, stay safe out there.
Silvercall, best of luck with your new career.
Vincent, 6'3 230, I bet you can move some bodies out of the way. Good luck in school and on the field.
Vampyrewolf, Chad is right, energizer bunny, terminator and lets throw in a timex watch. Keep on ticking brother.
Dialex, old fart? You gotta be kidding. You are rich, great talent and a great family. Congrats again.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I'm 24 years old. I'm a mechanical engineering major in South Dakota. I'm back living in my mom's basement now that I started school again. I've done a lot of jobs since high school before going back to college. I worked retail at a two video rental store chains, worked for Citibank for awhile, worked production for a pharmaceutical manufacturer, was a document processing technician for Xerox for awhile, stocked shelves overnight at Wal-Mart for a few months, and now I'm a pharmacy technician part-time at the second largest mail order pharmacy in the country (it's called Cigna Tel-Drug). I was raised just outside of Indianapolis, IN. I've got no girlfriend at the moment and no urge for one. I love movies. Some personal favorites are: A River Runs Through It, Rushmore, The Big Lebowski, Goodfellas, Alfie (original Michael Caine version). I read a lot as well. I usually read at least one book a week if not more. I go out with my friends any chance I get. I love meeting new people at the bars and clubs around here, although I would love to be someplace bigger than Sioux Falls, SD. So, I think that's about it. Thanks for reading.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

I'm an old fart at 55 :D This year, wife and I hit the 30 year mark, two kids (boys/28 and 30), and the younger got married a couple of years ago and made me a grandad last November :D I test software for living - been with my current employer the better part of 14 years. I started there as a trainer (we got to keep our frequent flyer miles, and I travelled enough in the first five years, to get enough points for 15 domestic and 4 international trips - which my wife has managed to use up for her conferences), became a courseware designer and then moved to Research Group to help setup a Support/Documentation/Training divsion. Then I was "requested" to transfer to the QA group, by the director of the division, which was a new created group at the time. Current designation is Sr. Test Analyst (Sr. part means I'm just older :D ), which involves not just the testing part, but the process and writing it (we are ISO9001 and getting ready for ISO14001), developing the tests/executing, and maintaining a room with about 80 or 90 PC's. I am one of two who report to the Release Manager and we work with 3 other testers, soon to be 6 (I REALLY hope!) With our group - it's all about release schedules and "market windows", so the odd stint of 100 hour weeks is not unusual. It's played havoc with my knifemaking hobby over the last couple of years.

Hobbies - Collecting knives, of course, is one. I have a small shop set up for knifemaking/whatever else my wife needs in our basement and garage. Leatherwork has been a natural spin off. Leatherwork has been the main thrust this year. 8-Ball is my fall/winter passion (competed in the North American National in Vegas 4 years in a row ), coupled with movies (something else I collect - I don't have cable TV, and in my area of Calgary, without cable there is no reception) I enjoy action movies, sci-fi, with a bit of horror. My wife is a hobbyist as well, especially in the scrapbooking (and you though knife collecting was expensive), more recently, but my shop is surprisingly busy in "non-knife" activities. Somewhere in there, I occasionally get to golf :) Toys - I like my "toys", constantly looking for new tools, widgets to make my hobbies or life more fun/easier. Lee Valley Tools is a very bad place for me :D

My wife is very active in EWI (Executive Women's International), which is networking group for women, via her work (inside sales). She is past president, and currently a historian, and serves on 3 o 4 various committees, so she is every bit as busy as I am. She attends several conferences per year, some are paid for, some are not. I am "required" to attend several formal functions per year :D Probably about the only time I have to dress up - these are those black tie super formal things. A little different than jeans/golfshirt :D Weekends are very precious to us. My grandson is a blessing in one way - I actually get to spend time with my wife as well :D And here I was under the impression that as I got older, I would have more time :rolleyes:

- gord
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

I'm 24 years old, still going to school. I'm on what we call the 7 year plan. I've never been a good student, I test well, but I'm lazy. My high school GPA was only a 3.0, but my SATs were 1340. I got into the University of Delaware but promptly was "academically dismissed" due to my lack of going to class. I've since gone to the local community college and have now transferred back into a "real school" where I'm taking part time classes for a degree in Criminal Justice. I have no idea what I intend to do with it, but its the only major I can actually get myself to go to class for.

I work full time (need the insurance) as an assistant manager at an independent grocery store. That consumes most of my time, as I am more than willing to work ridiculous hours to get overtime. My job for the most involves babysitting teenagers who don't want to work for their money, and forty year old men who don't want to do what I tell them. Most days its not bad, but some days I wish they let me carry a cattle prod to get these people working.

I bought my first house in april of last year, and that consumes most of my income(after that is tuition) which leaves very little :spyder: money.

Like others who have posted before me, I don't go out much, for several reasons. One, I'm cheap. Two, I refuse to pay 4 dollars for a beer at a bar, when I can get six beers for a little more. Three, I quite drinking two years ago (I was drinking a little too much, and I had to stop) Four, I much prefer to sit at home with some friends, watch a movie, just hang out, than go to some loud smokey bar or clur where I have to scream to be heard.

I'm a fairly recent :spyder: collector, and my obvious specialty is for Guntings. I currently have 5 (1 440V PE, 1 440V CE, 2 S30V CE, 1 S30V PE) with 2 more on the way (both 440V PE) My EDC is the same every day. Waved Endura left front pocket, Black Dodo PE right rear pocket, Leatherman Charge XTi on belt, and S30V Gunting PE when I'm going somewhere "less than reputable.

I have a girlfriend of over a year, that I fully intend to marry, as soon as I finish college and get a real job. I do not want to get married before I finish school because I'd like to have time to spend with my family. Working and going to school takes 90% of my time, with the other 10% going to sleep. With just work to contend with, I'm hoping I'll free up a good chunk of time to see my wife. I also would like to be around for my kids, instead of always being out at work or school.

I think that about covers all the important stuff. :D
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-