SureFire E2D

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mancer

SureFire E2D

Post by Mancer »

Hi all

Long time no posting.
Been building a small IT company so have been busy.
I got ahold of a SureFire Executive Defender flashlight, first surefire I have ever handled.
Seems fairly solid and bright, but not nearly as bright as I thought it would be with what I have read.
For its size I must admit the beam of light is very powerful, but would imagine that the attacker would need to be in the dark and have his eyes fully adjusted to the darkness for this to blind him.
My 6D Maglite is twice as bright and this thing can blind you during the day, so I suppose the E2D would be a good carry flashlight for pockets while the 6D Maglite would be good to carry in a vehicle.
If I look into the E2D it is bright but not enough to force me to look away, where as the big 6D cell Maglite cannot be looked at for any duration, it is painful to look at something that bright.
Also if I was an attacker and had a choice, Id rather be hit full on in the head with the scalloped E2D than the Maglite which is really heavy and could do some serous serious skull cracking.

I've also moved into a new hobby, the wife is not a firearm fan due to things that have happend to her.
So into archery I go, I got a bow off ebay (waiting for it too arive) called a PSE Carroll Marauder II, I also bid on another bow by mistake (I bid $20.00) and when I saw it was too late as I won,lol
Its an old Jennings ArrowStar Mark II, it needs some work so Im busy stripping it and cleaning it up.

Anyhow hope all you guys are still around and doing well.

Cheers

MaNcEr
It's Time To Kick @$$ 'N Chew Bubble Gum
hanswurst

Post by hanswurst »

hi mancer,
guess my eyes are pretty sensitive, a quick look into the beam of the e2d and i see stars. it may not be bright enough to blind somebody, but it will for sure stun them long enough for me to let them feel the crown and quickly run away. :)
marco
BOK

Post by BOK »

I did away with the E2D bezel and put a KL1 head on it instead.

I prefer the efficiency of the LED's.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha MANCER!!!

**** man...was wondering about you and the Mrs.!!!

Archery huh? I used to do the same...had a PSE, a BEAR, and a Browning...Love archery, moved onto a 58# Martin recurve for more of a challenge.

Surefire's huh? Too expensive for me, but some of the hardbars at my workplace carry them and like 'em. OBTW, still waiting for you to send me that Neostead bro! :p

SO good to see you. Regards to the family and God bless :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

hehe, ya buddy

Wouldnt mind a NeoSteed myself hey.
Ya the Surefire is bright, but as I said Ive never ever seen one, it looks like a quality built flash light and very solid, as is my MagLite.
When my eyes have adapted to a darkend room I do get a tad stunned from the light, but boy oh boy that Maglite is something I love.
I got it back home in South Africa and love the thing to bits.
Id be curious what it would look like (shine like) with one of the LED conversion kits such as the terralux DA-5W.

Anyhow, can see why an old cop friend back home spoke so fondly of his maglite 4D when he has used it as a baton.
The D cell's make it even more solid and very heavy, a shot to the head with that Im sure would drop most people to the ground.

Bok does the K1 head house a more powerful LED, how much brighter is it than the E2D.

Ye the E2D is EXPENSIVE!!!!!, $105.00 for a flashlight (LOL R1500.00 for it in South Africa, divide 1500 by 6.5 and see what USA $$ we dish out there!, this is the quote I got from the South African distributors, works out to about $230)

Anyhow, Daywalker didnt know you did archery, you gonna need to give me advise now n then,lol

Have no idea what that jennings was in draw weight, but darn it is tightly strung.
The PSE is from 45-65 lb draw weight and I believe it is 45" from end to end.
So hopefully its something I can use to learn.

The prices of new bows are incredible, especially when a bow is more expensive than a firearm, lol

But hopefully Ill be around here more often now.
The mrs is starting her own business as well, Im helping her with the IT stuff and web design.
Shes going to be making jewelry, all from gems and natural stones as well as selling natural stuff like imported natural oils from South Africa (our stuff is a far higher quality than the stuff you get here)
Shes also going to be importing and selling South African teas.
So its gonna be busy!!

Cheers

MaNcEr
jbake

Post by jbake »

Howdy Mancer,

Yeah, my mega 6 cell Mag is brighter than my E2D. But my Mag won't fit in my back pocket :p

To be honest, I have just about 0 faith in "blinding" an adversary.

For me, the E2D is a pocket stick.

It's good for hammer fists - it's a force multiplier.

And I can carry it every day and it has never gotten a second look.

As far as getting hit with one, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end - those scallops are pretty sharp.

You ever seen a boxing match where somebody gets a cut above the eye? Hard to fight when you can't see.

Hey, I remember the conversations about your lovely bride and firearms, but I can't remember whether or not AIRSOFT was acceptable.

Airsoft Atlanta can get you a metal gas glock that will keep your skills honed and provide you with hours of entertainment.
jbake

Post by jbake »

Hey Mancer, the KL1 is WEAKER than what you have.

The KL4 is arguably about the same in brightness.
I have one for my E2D. It's pretty cool.

The KL4 also lacks the sharp scallops, so it is a little more pocket (and people) friendly.

Bought my KL4 off ebay for a really good price.
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

Hey jbake!
Thanx for all the handy info.
Ye I would not like to get nailed with the scalops either, when rubbing your finger on them they dont seem that sharp, but with even a small amount of force Im sure it would be quite painful, I can image with a stike the movement would lead to flesh not been poked but ripped which would really make the adversery jump for something other than joy, lol
I have never used "blinding" an attacker with light, but I suppose it can be very affective in the right circumstances.
Since your attacker would not be expecting such a thing, a quick blinding could just give you an extra edge in getting that good blow in to his face or where ever.
Personally I read a post on jamesakeating.com from an american doing something rather stupid, but we dont think sometimes and walking back to his hotel in Durban, South Africa.
He was walking back down a dark street with no traffic or people around, this ofcause is not an ideal situation.
I myself armed with my .45 would not do this unless I had to and would have been plenty trigger happy at any "paranoia" that approched me.
Anyhow 2 "young black punks" as he quoted where following him, he crossed to the divifing block between the lanes on the street to check, and they followed.
He only had a half filled 2 litre water bottle.
When they came running for him with knives out he managed to get a good shot into his attackers head.
Now that would be the ideal situation for my 6D Maglite, a flash of that would have sent the attackers eyes all over, one good shot would have taken him down and I would have finished the job by pumbeling the cr@p out of him Rodey King style.

I cant have my Glock here, but to be honest the area Im in is so safe that Im not as paranoid as I was back home.
Although people here think Im still too paranoid because I turn every now and then to watch my surroundings or I want the car doors locked.
I saw on the news here about a young guy (17 years) who was in his parents car sitting at a red light.
He saw some scruffy middle aged black guy approaching his car with his eyes fixated on the kid.
The kid said soon as he saw this guy he knew there was trouble, but the kid sat there, didnt lock the doors, didnt drive off, allowed this guy to open the door and climb in.
Now I said to my wife, how can someone be so clueless?
Mabey its a random situation but people here seem to have to much faith that nothing will happen to them.
People dont seem to be as security aware as I feel they should be.
Its nice having the amount of LEO's around that you do here, but I think that peoples minds are far too much on other things, this seems to be apparent in their driving skills.
I know it must be bad when I talk to other people from other states and they all have the same comment on Utah drivers, lol

Anyhow, its nice having the things you guys do, although there is alot we have back home that I really miss.

Cheers

MaNcEr
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

SHEESH

Check this out!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.centurychina.com/cgi-bin/any ... =2&gV=0&p=

Maglite 6D converted to a one shot shotgun, but the light still works.

Cheers

Sheldon
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

that there would be one outstanding reason to own a 6cell. ive been carrying my defender for 1 year 4 months and have yet to see a reason to put it down. as far as being brighter then a 6 cell, that was never advertised, and that remark was ment for lights outside of the executive series. the e series is ment to combine carry features with amazing output and dependability. i own 2 6 cells and havent bothered using them in a couple years. one stays in my van and the other in my cabin for lack of a better place. as far a self defense my nightime carry is always an e2d w/ a pacific salt se and a stinger for company, and with that setup im am confident that i could handle the situation if it came to that. personally as i have stated in other threads the e2d is one of the best personal carries you can find. the only warning i have is that with the crennulated bezel i dont believe it is wise to carryin in the front pocket, seeing that it will chew through jeans in a heartbeat. i carry mine clipped to the outside left front pocket and it never seems to fail. and on another note as far a devistation, the light is certainly bright enough to momentarly stun someone and force them to look away in nightime encounters alowing a follow up atack, being knife, stinger, or e2d . striking someone w/ the e2d will easily bust them open, and give proper chance for someone to run. all in all i think its a sound choice. sorry to write so much, got excited. either way thats my opinion, hope it helps.
GS
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder:

Mancer

Post by Mancer »

Great thanx for your imput.
I have a job interview lined up tommorrow which is gonna be late shifts (Graveyard), I have and enjoy friction lock batons, but in alln honesty I think the most superb defensive weapon that is flexable and can be bend to be stored in back packs would be a Sjambok.
A blow to the back with a friction lock baton would hurt like **** and break some ribs mabey, but I feel the sjambok has the most power in the type of pain it delivers.
Kinda like pouring gasoline on the attackers wounds n lightin em up.
Cold Steel have some beutiful sjamboks (new model) available for about $20.00.
I know that James Keating has spoken of these before.

I think for a carry option that can be bent to be consealed, it is another fine option along with a good quality light such as the E2D.

Cheers

MaNcEr
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Sjamboks or Latigos can be bent if heated to run from one shoulder to the other under a jacket and deployed quickly through the sleeve...Wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one of those....Oh Man!!!! ...Doc
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

Ye I AGREE!!!
Man them things are nasty.

Wonder if this would be concidered the worst striking weapon in existance or if there is something even worse.
Anyhow, there are brand new coldsteel sjamboks on ebay for BUYITNOW prices ranging from $8 to about $12 for 42" and 54" ones.

Cheers
MaNcEr
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I was on the receiving end of one of those sjamboks, I wasn't hit too hard and it raised an instance welt..almost cut the skin...they are not fun...BTW I wasn't being interogated by South African Police..this happened in Filipino Stick Fighting Class where we call it a Latigo...Original whips used to be made from stingray tails...ouch...Doc
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

OUCH, stingray tails?
I never knew that, thats quite a clever idea on their side.
I can imagine it must have hurt like heck.

Thanx for sharing that info

Cheers

MaNcEr