How for do you travel to work?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ted

How far do you travel to work?

Post by Ted »

This week I'm doing a project out of the office, and need to drive a boring 130 km/83 miles to my work place (yes, that closet filled with computers).
How far do you travel each day? - and, anyone got some nice scenery while driving?
Ted
Attachments
hell.jpg
hell.jpg (36.52 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi Ted. Well, I'm fortunate enough to live "next door" to my working place. It only takes 10 minutes of walk till there (so I usually walk). Not much of a scenery to see, though. :p
There is a dark side too. Oftenly, the phone rings (at the most unappropriate moments, of course) - "come here, we have a situation", and since I live that near... :(
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.

Post by 224477 »

Hello,

my office is situated next to the airport, also across the whole town, but we prefer the highway, nothing special to see, instead our biggest oil rafinery, several km´s beside the highway. By car it takes about 10-15minutes, by public transport dirrect crossing the city it takes about an hour, or sometimes even more, depends from the traffic jams.
Fisher of Men

Post by Fisher of Men »

I've been working at the same place for about 5 years now. I drive about 35 miles to work and 35 miles home. I get to take the "turnpike" so it's a nice scenic drive. It's also good because it's not bumper to bumper traffic. It's nice and open. I can just turn on the cruise control and listen to the radio :) . I'll see if I can take some pictures of the scenery on my drive and post it :)

Cheers,
Fisher of Men
BOK

Post by BOK »

I'm all over the place for my job.

I drive about at least 150-200kms on any given work day. There is some very nice scenery on route to some of the places I'm required to travel.

Sorry no pic though :(
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Ted, when I started working in Albany, I lived 90 miles southwest of it, in the Catskill Mountains, so my round trip commute was 180 miles (290 km) a day. Spent close to four hours a day on the road. Did that five days a week for seven years, then they moved the office to Troy, another 10 miles further north! Shortly thereafter I decided to move a bit closer to work. Now have about a ten mile trip each way. With the walk to or from the parking lot its about twenty minutes each way. To make things even sweeter, I now get to work a four day "compressed" work week, do ten hour days but spend less time out of the house each day than I did when I had the long commute. Will say that during the fall the scenery was spectacular, both on the "local roads" down where I use to live and along the 65 mile stretch of the NYS Thruway that took me most of the way. "Fall foliage" tours are very common here. Rest of the year it was pretty enough, to me "countryscapes" always will beat "cityscapes", but the fall was my favorite.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
samosaurus

Post by samosaurus »

I trip my rides to work, average out at about 59-km daily from home to office.. On a heavy day, I clock about 130-km on field work..

Sam
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

10 miles one way for me.As for the road I use getting there,back country road,ever seen the Dukes of Hazzard.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

I live about 2 miles from my workplace. Convenient but no decompression time before I get home.
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

I don't have a car so I walk to my workplace, which is about 25 minutes away. Keeps me in shape. The only "scenery" I get is the krispy kreme.....that's about it

-Dean
Fisher of Men

Post by Fisher of Men »

Here are some pics from this morning's drive in. Not so great because they were taken from my camera phone :)

Enjoy...

Hannibal Lecter

Too Far...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

I commute about 1½ hours each way to work five days a week, equivalating to about 90 miles each way. I am attempting to convince my employer that four 10-hour days would be to their advantage; it would certainly be to mine. :p

The scenery is beautiful, to be fair; this morning's show was snow-covered trees as far as the eye could see. No sunrise to speak of this morning, though it is not unusual to be amazed by pale blues and pinks across much of the sky.

---
Ta,

H
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

I commute about an hour one way each day. Bus route is just a half block away from my house, transfer in downtown Calgary to our Light Rail Transit and about a 5 minute walk to the office. Time can sometimes vary about 15 min. if I miss a connection.

- gord
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

I live .6 (point-six) miles from work. I have to go through both a stop sign and a stoplight to get there. I don't mind the stop sign, but that stoplight, it sometimes costs me tens of seconds.
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

Joe Talmadge wrote:I live .6 (point-six) miles from work. I have to go through both a stop sign and a stoplight to get there. I don't mind the stop sign, but that stoplight, it sometimes costs me tens of seconds.
LOL. Joe do you ever get to work and are still asleep.
My commute is ~12mi/20km each way. I nice 2 lane highway. Only 1 traffic light that I can right turn on red. Usually 15-20 minutes. If it's not trees it must be a used car lot. On the 9mi/15km highway I count 11 dealers. :)
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
wotanson

Post by wotanson »

I travel about 25 miles to work each way, very rural as I climb into the foothills, lots of trees, deer, wild turkey(not the drinking kind) and dairy farms etc. The hospital I work in overlooks a little hollow. The main reason my Wife and I moved up here was that the scenery is so beautiful and you get a much less Sub-urban feel, more rural. Karen takes metro north train to work in NYC, 65 miles ~1 hour 5 minutes + 10 minutes on the subway. Life is good!
HOW BOUT THEM RED SOX!!
ODIN, GUIDE MY SWORD TO ETERNAL VICTORY!
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

20 miles of rolling English countryside for my commute. :) However, I always get stuck behind a tractor!! :mad:
"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
jbake

Post by jbake »

62 miles one way. Almost all interstate.
Takes me about an hour and 15 minutes.
The cost of gas and the more frequent oil changes suck.

But, I just to work only 20 miles away and that would take me at least 45 minute - just sitting in traffic.

A coworker has moved nearby, so now we take turns driving in.
jaxon

Post by jaxon »

Mine's about 9-1/2 miles, through would you believe, 5 towns. Our SoCal side by side bedroom communities. Residential small town streets. No freeways for the first time in years. 30 to 40 (if I hurry) mph. Plenty stop signs and several stop signals. One light rail crossing. 20 - 25 minutes. If anyone cares.

Cheers :) ,

Jaxon
Live to Ride....Ride to Live
JDEE

Post by JDEE »

Shanks' Pony - I walkout of the bedroom through the kitchen through the lounge into the knife shop!
Jdee
Have a Knife Day
rusticforge.com/knives Australia