Healthy Food?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vampyrewolf

Healthy Food?

Post by vampyrewolf »

Ok, I've got a weight challenge going with my mother and sister... April 1st weigh in... 15lbs or $25... and I plan to make $50 out of it.

So, I've got 5 weeks to lose 15lbs.

I want your healthy food suggestions. Nutrition is key since I want to eat as little as possible but still snack every 2-3hrs. Lately I've been snacking on deep fried chick peas and rice snacks. Late night snack is usually pepperoni sticks and cheese.

I'm open to pretty much everything (I'm not big on fish though), looking for everything from snacks, to meals, to advice.

Help me win $50 here.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
CKE

Post by CKE »

LOTS o VEGGIES!!! Green veggies are best I have been told. The darker the better.
With losing so much weight I am trying to do the opposite right now. I add calories to everything I can get down which at the moment is only soups.
Sorry not too many suggestions except the veggies. Take Care and good luck with the weight and 50$
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
i.v

Post by i.v »

well... everything you've been eating so far is horrible.. throw it away... no more snacks, no more fried food, no more light drinks.
for a good diet you need 5-6 small meals a day.. SMALL ;)
lots of fruits & vegetables, a little meat is ok for as long as it's chicken or fish & it's not fried, bread only, low fat cheese, rice & eggs..
what does it come down too?
breakfast:
a piece of bread with some cheese, some sort of vegetable & one egg protein
second meal:
fruit, a couple of apples maybe? anything goes
lunch:
some chicken or fish, a bit of rice, vegetables
4th meal
again, fruit, you can add a bit of low fat yogurt with granola or something like that
dinner:
vegetables (yes, again :D ) a sallad if you will, rice, potatoes etc.
5th meal:
a light snack, like the previous in between meals.

meals should be spaced 2-4 hours from each other.
work out! you need to burn fat, best things to do are:
boxing, running, swimming, jump rope, even walking a few miles every day.
light activity every day, serious efforts like really long runs, no more than 3 days a week. adding pushups & situps will also strengthen muscles.
if you can be consistent with that, you'll lose weight faster than you think.
hope this helps :D
p.s
it's not easy, but worth it
if you smoke, quit, at least for a while or try to cut down
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Craig: veggies aren't a problem... Have about $15-20 worth in my fridge right now... mid day snack is usually a 1/2 package of celery, couple tomatoes or a full cucumber... I've done weeks at a time with only veggies.

I.V.: sounds good... looks close to what I did just about 3yrs ago(hashbrowns & eggs for breakfast, fruit for lunch, salad for supper, whatever I wanted later on... 7 weeks 25lbs)...
As to excersize and smoking... Physio gym 3x a week for 1hr 15-1hr 20(warmup is 7mile on the bike in 20min, after my 10min walk to get there)... quit smoking back on labour day(and I'm not even allowed a cigar until after surgery).
It's been about -5c this week... gonna be jogging again next week by the looks of it.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
hanswurst

Post by hanswurst »

anything high in protein, low fat will help.(like grilled chickenbreast)
also check out this link, might help http://www.ultimatefatburner.com/articles/water.html
marco
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Hi Pat - You will not going to like this. Little excercize and lots of snack or fast food fattens you very fast. Only one thing really helps and that is a drastic change of lifstyle. and feeding habits. so, you have to determine what it is you want and start all over with a lot of diciplin.

Veggies, fruits less sugar and fat. Eat half of your normal intake, drink just water (lots of it) no snack or take an apple if you feel like snacking. Less alcohol and try some form of excercize that you are able to do.

Couch potatoes don't cut it anymore!
Be strong, good luck and go for the 50 bucks. :D
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
Ted

Post by Ted »

Jur's right. I did the no candy/no alcohol/no junk food, and normal sized meals for 5 months about 2 years ago and lost 40lbs in that period!

Oh, and if you feel hungry doing this, then you're diet is working! :D

15lbs in 5 weeks might be a bit much - I got 2lbs per week

Ted
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha VW!!!

Welp...Craig is right, as well as a lot of others here. BUT, eating fibrous carbs, i.e: Brocolli, cauliflower, celery, etc...in place of your starchy carbs, i.e: Potatoes, rice, etc...Fibrous carbs take longer to break down in the digestive process, thereby making you "feel" full.

Eat your proteins with those fibrous carbs. Lay off the processed meats towards the later part of the day, and if you must eat them, do it early on...Bread is okay, but not past mid day...just keep the ratio of more "FIBROUS carbs to everything else", and do drink lots of water...

You'll do it man!!! Just remember, diet is only part of the equation...ya gotta exercise dude!!!

God bless :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
argyll

Post by argyll »

Don't know about your usual diet, but I was able to lose 15 lbs by just cutting back on sugars and simple carbs, and substituting complex carbs. For example brown rice instead of white, low carb whole wheat breads, no fruit juices, whole wheat pasta instead of regular, no candy bars, and limited baked goods, yams instead of white potatoes, eating lots of veggies and snacking on roasted soy nuts. Good luck.

Best regards,

Argyll
Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit -- Ovid (He who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)
Hannibal Lecter

Back Up...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

Might I suggest a different approach to this.

I dropped 20 pounds in one month, fifteen the next, and ten the next. How? 1200 calories a day and <20g fat. It can be done. All the fresh fruits and vegetables you can eat, excepting things like potatoes. Lots of grilled chicken, fish, though some red meat was thrown in lest I lose my mind completely. Lots of vegetables, cut back on starchy foods, but the biggest factor is *reading the nutrition labels!* It isn't always about the calories and fat; look at the serving size. If you buy a multi-serving bag/can or something, portion it out *prior* to starting in on it. Individual ziplok bags, etc. This will spare you a *lot* of misery later.

More importantly, unless you want the weight back, make a committment to change your lifestyle and eating habits permanently. Going back to old habits will hurt you badly after reaching your target weight. Just change your entire approach to eating and nutrition and you will be fine, but you have to keep in mind that you can *never* go back. Once you make up your mind that that thought is OK, you'll be in fine shape.

By the way, the first two weeks on a 1200 cal/day "lifestyle" will *suck* royally. Be prepared to be a bit irritable. Make it through the two weeks, and it isn't a problem anymore.

---
Ta,

H
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Simona

Post by Simona »

Health food is sure No.1, but diet only is not good ..

Health food + 4-5x weekly one hour here : CLICK

:D success warranted.
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Vampyrewolf

I'm with you.

I lost 10 pounds in the last two weeks.
Diet mainly consists of:
Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal with 1 cup fruit (no milk or sugar)
lunch: 1 sandwhich 2 fruit
dinner: Baby spinach salad with chicken, japalenos, thousand island, Chiptole tabasco sauce,
and a side of vegies

I found when I tried the 6 meals a day that my stomach wasn't shrinking so my appitite wasn't going down. Six meals per day is ideal but I'm finding that by putting off my cravings longer (between meals) it allows my stomach to shrink. Then when I do go back on six per day I won't be intaking so much.

At any rate always check with doctor and nutritionist.
Also excersise is important :)