Excuse me while I pat myself on the back...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Deacon

Excuse me while I pat myself on the back...

Post by The Deacon »

...for making it through six months without a cigarette. :)

EDITED TO ADD: For the benefit of anyone opening this thread for the first time or who has, understandably, forgotten it, it was started in FEB 2005 and gets resurrected on anniversaries of the day I stopped smoking.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

way to go, now buy a celebratory knife for yourself... you've earned it
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
JD Spydo

Big time reward

Post by JD Spydo »

I would say that the Deacon deserves a titanium ATR for that feat. So everyone on the forum put in a dollar each :D
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

Very well done to you, sir! Unfortunately, I have to fight with the nicotine monkey every day! :mad:
"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

congrats, I know first hand it's quite an accomplishment!
I had stopped for a while until the old habit came back to kick me. You're doing better than I am
CKE

Post by CKE »

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
CutEngineer

Way to go!

Post by CutEngineer »

Very good! Don't relax too much yet though. I spent years leaning into clouds of smoke just for the smell.

When I decided that I wanted to quit, it took several tries. Once I quit for more than a year before I lost my way. The final solution was to bet a friend (an honorable friend) $100 that he would smoke before I did.

I am cheap enough that no matter how badly I thought I wanted a cigarette, I wanted the money more.

While my friend was honorable, he was a sore looser, and paid me off in pennies. He lasted about 10 months, but didn't tell me for several more months.

Finally, the cravings went away. And now, after 17 years, I can truly say that that cigarette smoke stinks.

How are you doing on weight gain?
Senate

Post by Senate »

Great news Paul!

I'm glad I never started :)
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
spyderknut

Hoorah!

Post by spyderknut »

ATTA BOY!

one day at a time...... :cool:
silverback

Post by silverback »

Very good, keep it up!
I'm four months smoke free now. (pat on back)

The hard part isn't the quitting, that's easy. It's hard not to start again. :D
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
mikewww

Post by mikewww »

Excellent !!!!!! I did this years ago, and found that the best reward was (beside the health benefits) That I could SMELL THINGS AGAIN !! I now find the smell of smoke to be a huge turn-off. So, go out and buy yet another Spydie! :) :) :) :) :)
Manifest

Post by Manifest »

Congratulations! And like others have said, buy yourself a nice new Spydie! :)
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha my friend!

Right on man...RIGHT ON!!! ;) I too. would suggest you go and get yerself a :spyder: , but uh...which ones DON'T you have? :confused: (Linerlockers not included) :rolleyes:

God bless you bro :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Ted

Post by Ted »

Congrats! You probably save a lot of Spyderco-money while not smoking...
wotanson

Post by wotanson »

Way to go Paul, any tips? I quite once cold turkey, lasted two years, I've been back five years now, and I can't quit to save my life now. A friend said Welbutrin (spelling) worked for him, but I'm reluctant to resort to drugs. Cheers and congrats!!!!!! Rob
HOW BOUT THEM RED SOX!!
ODIN, GUIDE MY SWORD TO ETERNAL VICTORY!
dialex

Post by dialex »

Congratulations Paul. Now it's time to treat yourself with a big cigar! :eek:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Shiden

Post by Shiden »

Congratulations. That is very, very good to hear. I hate smoking.

Shiden
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Thanks everyone!

Can't claim to have kicked the habit, started smoking at 13, quit at 35 and went two years without one only to pick up right where I left off in a moment of stress. Took me another 23 years to try giving them up again. Started this thread because someone suggested that it making it "public", like CutEngineer's $100 bet, would be one more incentive not to go back. Up to now, think I had only told a couple folks.

VW - that's how I justified the CF Navigator I got last week.

JD - thanks for the thought, might be the only way I'll get an ATR before they go out of production and become "collectible".

Senate - yes you are, not starting is a heck of a lot easier than stopping.

Simon, Dean, Wotanson, coughing up blood can be a great motivator, but not one I'd wish on anyone else.

CutEngineer - as I said above, was off them for two years once before, taking it one day at a time now. Must admit I stopped leaning into clouds of smoke after the first week. Sometimes think maybe my old sofa is still acting as a "patch" considering all the nicotine it absorbed over the years. Old car died about a month ago, had been a rolling ashtray for seven years, but had not been smoked in for five months. Rented one that came equipped with an overflowing ashtray, that plus the stress of suddenly "needing" to go car shopping **** near made me start again. Got through that and the new car didn't come with an ashtray or lighter. As for weight, probably have put on a couple pounds, have been using a mixture of Chex Party Mix, raisins, peanut butter M&M's, and Pepperidge Farms Goldfish to keep my hands and mouth busy. I try not to over do it, but am sure that coupled with the reduced amount of exercise I get in the winter (down from way too little to none :o ) it has had some effect.

Silverback - Congrats to you too! Perhaps we ought to make one of those pacts, where the first one to revert buys the other a :spyder:

mikewwww - True, but the smell thing is a two edged sword. There are smells I can now enjoy more, like the aroma of Chocolate Haupia flavored Kona coffee brewing that is wafting through the air here right now thanks to Daywalker. :cool: But there are others, which I could pretty much tolerate and ignore before that now either make me nauseous or drive me straight up the wall. The smell of immitation butter flavored microwave popcorn is about at the top of that list. :eek: I swear one of these days I'm going to barf all over my keyboard at work from it. :o

Ted - I probably had one of the least expensive habits going, was rolling my my own for the last 15 years so it was only costing me about $15 a week. That may have made it easier to stop too. Don't think they put all the additives in rolling tobacco they put in commercial cigarettes here in the US. Plus, the Rizla rollbox I used rolled a nice thin stick, so less tobacco, and thus less nicotine per cigarette.

Alex - you devil, but I was thinking more along the lines of a couple tokes off a nice fat Jamaican... never mind. ;)

If all goes well, will "resurect" this thread in August and every six months thereafter.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dialex

Post by dialex »

Good luck Paul. I don't smoke (however, I grew in a house full of cigarette smoke), but my father does and has serious problems (coughing all the time, difficulties in swallowing aso.). :(
I know he'd readily pay a fortune to quit but he lacks the will :( While he tried several times, but we found he was hiding away from us to get his drag(s). :( During all this time he pretended he smokes no more than 4 - 7 cigartettes daily. :eek:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
fret

Post by fret »

:) Great to hear that. Congratulations. I don't smoke due to health problems. I have had relatives and friends pass away painfully from the smoking diseases. Right now my friend's wife is undergoing chemotherapy due to smoking. A cancerous lump in the left lung. Hopefully the cancer did not spread? Time will tell.