Youch!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jimd

Youch!

Post by Jimd »

Last night, my daughter asked me to cut the plastic ties from the package that her new bike lock came in.

No problem! I whipped out my trusty Strider SnG (3.5", flat-ground blade) and commenced to cut. Now, as most of you know, plastic bands are usually pretty hard to cut.

Not this time. I put a lot of pressure on the band, and it let go in short order. The issue arose because I was holding the package with my left hand, which was in the path of the speeding blade.

Rest assured that I now have firsthand knowledge that this knife will penetrate flesh very efficiently. It did, in fact, pierce the flesh of my left ring finger at an angle, and travel to the bone, leaving a sort of half-moon cut.

The blood and the cusswords flowed liberally. My wife scolded me for "playing" with my knife as I sought a handful of napkins to apply direct pressure with.

It feels much better now, though... :o
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

jimd,
sorry to hear that. I'll remember that the next time I get some plastic straps. I hope you don't need stitches.
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

Dang Jim.... I am wincing and feeling your pain. There is nothing quite like the sinking feeling one gets when you know you've just cut yourself deep. Last time I did it was about a year or so ago in a brilliant little maneuver I'm not gonna rehash ... :D . I didn't get stitches either, but instead ended up binding it up super tight with bandaids for 2 or 3 days. The cut oozed blood for nearly 2 day. I likely should have had a stitch or two, but I didn't want the scar.

Heal up good man.!
Steve
CKE

Post by CKE »

Jim...you know why this happened :) The Spydie gods were mad at you :( The Dodo should have been your first choice and not that overpriced prybar :) :) :) Hope your hand heals quickly and take care!!!
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
SURLY

Post by SURLY »

Its not the gun but the aim.... Glad your ok ! SNG's/SMF's Rule.. Love the Bug :spyder: BUG or BULL keep your digits accounted for Bro.
:spyder: "Always a Cricket"
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

stitches? just use super glue. it has become a very handy tool for me.
Senate

Post by Senate »

A Strider, Blood and Cusswords... it's Nightmare before Christmas for your daughter! :D
grahjas

Post by grahjas »

lol, similar adventure with a piece of fruit. My FB04 was not shaving sharp, i had wet hands, and i was cutting on the edge of the cutting board. The edge closest to the handle was dinged (let a friend use my knife and he dropped it) and it didnt get through the rind of the orange, the orange rotated off the board, sliding onto the SHARP edge of the knife and pulling my thumb into the path of the blade--bad news.
Super glue soved it all though.
Never had a dull knife again.
Jason
A Normal person with incredible knives in the service of an AWESOME God.
fret

Post by fret »

Guess I'm not alone when it comes to cutting myself. Last time I had stitches the doctor didn't sew up the parts to match. Now when I use the hand/finger it bleeds under the skin. Still doesn't have any feeling in it after a few years. I will do without stitches when I hack myself again. I read that there is a special super glue that hospitals use. It's sterilized. Use once and toss the tube. The stuff at the stores is not sterilized so they say. But it costs less at the store than at the hospital ER. About twenty dollars at the ER plus the ER cost.
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

d00d there is nothing wrong with super glue in my book, and I am in my 3rd last year of med school. I use it all the time, just be sure you clean the wound good before applying the glue.
Senate

Post by Senate »

severedthumbs wrote:d00d there is nothing wrong with super glue in my book, and I am in my 3rd last year of med school. I use it all the time, just be sure you clean the wound good before applying the glue.
just a question to be sure: where do you apply the glue?
on the surface of the skin or directly in the wound is ok too?
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Ah, the Super Glue trick. I've not used it yet (hope I never have to!!).

I really should have had a few stitches, but refrained for the following reasons:
--My family and I were tired, and wanted to get home to bed. I'd been up since 0430 (I have to get up for work at this uholy hour), and it was approaching 2200 hours.
--I don't like my skin being sewn up. Period.
--I really don't have the extra cash to blow on ER expenses.

Now it's a few days later, and it's pretty much stopped oozing. I can see where the blade went under the skin, past the point of entry. Nasty! I really had some pressure on that "sharpened pry bar"!

This still doesn't top my stunt with my first Native a couple years ago. I was holding my new FRN Native (CE) in my left hand while listening to my wife talk. While fiddling with it, it slipped from my hand. Before I could stop myself, I reflexively grabbed for it on its way down.

The tip stuck into the fleshy palm part that's underneath the thumb, about halfway between thumb and wrist. It severred some of the muscles that control my thumb, and it was VERY hard and painful to operate my thumb for a few weeks. Penetration of the tip, I later measured, was about 1/2-inch. Another YOUCH!

And man, did the blood flow on THAT one! I soaked a paper towel in short order. Had to go sit down, as I began feeling a bit woozy. And the pain....oh, Lordy, the pain was intense! A lot worse than the stupid stunt I pulled a couple days ago.

Yep, about once a year I pull a good "Oh, crap!" move with one of my knives. Guess I'm good 'til next year. :)
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

Senate wrote:just a question to be sure: where do you apply the glue?
on the surface of the skin or directly in the wound is ok too?
ok once wound is cleaned you close the wound and apply a light bead of the glue to the top of the wound to "seal" it. not in the wound. How would it heal, silly? Ok if the cut is so deep that it cuts through muscle or nerve, or if it longer than about oh a couple inches, you should seek proper medical treatment. Only use super glue on minor cuts.
Ray.Hood

I too feel your pain.

Post by Ray.Hood »

I think that a little blood goes with the territory. I walked into a knife store,
picked up an Applegate-Fairbairn folder? Thumb slid up the blade, got a band-aid in the store, LOL! Bought the folder tho. Super=glue works, tried it.
They use a similar product instead of stitches in O.R.s. Glad you are ok. :)
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

the med stuff is derma-bond... same product(consumer grade though) is bandaid liquid bandage... purple stuff and it's 10 applications per box
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Ray.Hood

Seen Derma-Bond used on a guy's knee.

Post by Ray.Hood »

That stuff did not look strong enough to me. :confused:
Who knows if my wife has another back surgery, maybe that stuff will cause less scarring. Hopefull, she will NOT (God willing) need another surgery.
How's the hand?
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Actually, I mostly feel embarrassed when I cut myself and when any of my friends find out. You know how it goes: "Oooh mister knife expert cutting himself, stop playing with knives!".

I feel lucky having worked parttime as a butcher; the first two weeks I cut myself on every possible sharp corner in the shop, including the counter. Since then, no serious cuts ever (knock on wood)! The only scratches I get these days are from entertaining my cat! ;)

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

The finger's doing better, not too much pain any more. A little swelling, but not bad.

My stab wound in my hand healed, but there was pain for a few months, as the muscles mended back together.
Artwork For Sale