Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

Post by James Y »

Kung fu Quest IV: Silat

https://youtu.be/iwNZVzhyX8g

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Sparring With Benny Urquidez While Filming Wheels on Meals With Jackie Chan

(Video below)

Keith Vitali was the other main fighting villain, alongside Benny Urquidez, in the 1984 movie Wheels on Meals, which was filmed in Spain. At that time, Keith Vitali was one of, if not the, top-rated Karate point fighter in the US. He had also done some PKA (Professional Karate Association) kickboxing.

Benny Urquidez was an undefeated WKA (World Kickboxing Association) kickboxing world champion. Unlike PKA kickboxing, WKA kickboxing allowed leg kicking.

Benny was, and still is, one of my two biggest idols, alongside Bruce Lee. In fact, I think I hold Benny higher up than Bruce. I regret never having had the opportunity to spar with Benny Urquidez back in the day, but he certainly would have decimated me. Benny was not only the (IMO) greatest American kickboxer of all time, but he is an incredibly knowledgeable and versatile MARTIAL ARTIST, who also had real fighting experience on the street. Benny is now in his early 70s, and he still looks amazing.

https://youtu.be/8bDuV2sztWE

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Depending on what state you live in, you may be able to carry a firearm or edged weapon for self defense. If you are over 50 years of age, I'd acquaint yourself with the rapid deployment and use of these tools under stress.

In the early 1990's after I started attending Iowa State I used Gopher and then web browsers to locate and study different martial arts for a rapidly ageing human, me! I knew that if I were over 60, my punches, kicks and movement during a self defense encounter would be poor and I was looking for some art that an older man could use for self defense.

I found the edged weapon arts of escrima, arnis and kali, each slightly different and offering something to all age groups who studied them. Then in 2000 when in Silicon Valley, I undertook the study of my first edged art. I've since partaken in the study of at least 5+ edged weapon arts and I study to this day, although most of it is by video and DVD.

The following story was posted on a prepper site that I support and the discussions of how to protect church services, but it is a good story for anyone over 50 thinking of self defense.

The Selection of a Church Security Detail, "The Dynamic of Older Church Security Team Members," by R.E.D
https://survivalblog.com/2023/05/02/dyn ... ers-r-e-d/
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 12:21 am
Depending on what state you live in, you may be able to carry a firearm or edged weapon for self defense. If you are over 50 years of age, I'd acquaint yourself with the rapid deployment and use of these tools under stress.

In the early 1990's after I started attending Iowa State I used Gopher and then web browsers to locate and study different martial arts for a rapidly ageing human, me! I knew that if I were over 60, my punches, kicks and movement during a self defense encounter would be poor and I was looking for some art that an older man could use for self defense.

I found the edged weapon arts of escrima, arnis and kali, each slightly different and offering something to all age groups who studied them. Then in 2000 when in Silicon Valley, I undertook the study of my first edged art. I've since partaken in the study of at least 5+ edged weapon arts and I study to this day, although most of it is by video and DVD.

The following story was posted on a prepper site that I support and the discussions of how to protect church services, but it is a good story for anyone over 50 thinking of self defense.

The Selection of a Church Security Detail, "The Dynamic of Older Church Security Team Members," by R.E.D
https://survivalblog.com/2023/05/02/dyn ... ers-r-e-d/

Thanks for sharing and posting that article, Naperville.

I agree, as you get older, you need to take every advantage that you can get. I also agree that martial arts training is not practical to train self-defense to older people from scratch. This is something that (apparently most) young people, including many martial arts, combatives, and self-defense instructors, fail to consider.

The trend, especially nowadays, is to say that unless you train in BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA, etc., you cannot defend yourself. Asking an older or elderly person, for whom self-defense is even more critical, to do that is ridiculous. I used to have similar stupid thinking when I was young; I thought if I just continued training for life, I could do everything I could do then, even if I reached 90. Luckily for me, early on I figured out the difference between most martial arts training (styles, sparring, etc.), and real-life self-defense, and I was smart enough (and encouraged) to develop a simple skill set (not based on “style”), intended strictly for SD, that could be applied regardless of age (unless one is completely disabled). Meaning simple and dirty, does not require someone to be in top physical condition (like Muay Thai requires, for example), and are natural and instinctive. A few of which have worked for me IRL in the past. The only key is you have to be ready and WILLING to use them if 100% necessary. If someone isn’t willing and able, then nothing will work for them.

However, I will say that I have known some lifelong martial artists with real fighting experience who could still seriously damage people well into old age. My first Mantis teacher in Taiwan, when in his 70s, was surprisingly fast, accurate, and could still hurt you badly.

Only a few months ago, I visited my sifu in Choy Lee Fut at his home, and at 80, he still has speed, power, agility, and intensity, more so than most 30-somethings I see. Even though he obviously couldn’t compete in a ring match, he honestly didn’t look or move any different than he did in his 50s and early 60s, when was I actively training under him, and he was fast for his age then. He also had surgery to remove a brain tumor sometime prior to 2010, and had cancer surgery in 2021 (ironically, on the exact same day I had my last hernia surgery).

Supposedly, when Jack Dempsey was in his 70s, he KO’d two young muggers outside of his restaurant in NYC. Don’t count all old guys out.

These are some of the reasons why I still include things like Kung Fu forms practice (to a degree) in my training. Things that most martial arts and combat sports enthusiasts deem as worthless. But using forms as an example, they maintain your balance, coordination, train your mental discipline, and your body to move naturally in ways that are unnatural for the average person. There is something to be said for being able to move in ways most people can’t as one gets older. IMO, such physical and mental qualities are essential for daily living in itself, if one has been doing them since they were young. Of course, teaching an older person from scratch most likely wouldn’t help them much at all in that respect, unless maybe they’re taught a gentle form of Tai Chi or Qigong, which may help their coordination and balance, and lessen their chances of falls.

I carry a 51” straight, rustic walking stick made of hickory. I also know how to use it. I trained in staff fighting and sparring for years. In application, I never twirl it like a baton, or swing it around in a big arc like a baseball bat, like I’ve seen in many YouTube videos that show self-defense with a walking stick or a cane; which require too much room and probably wouldn’t have much effect against an attacker; and which also makes the cane or walking stick easier to block, grab, and possibly take away. The stick method I use, which I modified and simplified from southern-style staff fighting, can be done even in a confined area, like a narrow hallway, or in close quarters. I mainly use it single-ended, striking with the hard handle end, not the end with the rubber ferrule, except in rare instances. Used correctly, it’s almost too easy to apply, and is very difficult to deal with, much less be disarmed. It also covers a gray area between non-lethal and potentially lethal force.

I know that many people carry a cane out of necessity, but I do not. I prefer a walking stick. IMO, a cane gives the impression of frailty of the person carrying it, compared to a walking stick. I also prefer a straight stick, without a hooked end. Walking sticks also have more reach than canes. I don’t actually need a walking stick as a walking aid, and I don’t go around faking a limp. I simply carry it in my hand. I’ve passed cop cars with it, and the cops never even gave me or my stick a second look.

I distrust pepper spray, after a canister of Sabre Red failed me one day (before I started carrying a stick) when an aggressive dog came at me bearing its teeth, but luckily stopped short. The firing mechanism had literally frozen and wouldn’t fire. Also, there are instances during violent encounters where people are immune to pain, such as that caused by pepper spray, joint locks, etc. So my SD methods focus on mechanical damage, and not so much on inflicting pain, to stop at attack.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 9:24 am
Thanks for sharing and posting that article, Naperville.

I agree, as you get older, you need to take every advantage that you can get. I also agree that martial arts training is not practical to train self-defense to older people from scratch. This is something that (apparently most) young people, including many martial arts, combatives, and self-defense instructors, fail to consider.

The trend, especially nowadays, is to say that unless you train in BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA, etc., you cannot defend yourself. Asking an older or elderly person, for whom self-defense is even more critical, to do that is ridiculous. I used to have similar stupid thinking when I was young; I thought if I just continued training for life, I could do everything I could do then, even if I reached 90. Luckily for me, early on I figured out the difference between most martial arts training (styles, sparring, etc.), and real-life self-defense, and I was smart enough (and encouraged) to develop a simple skill set (not based on “style”), intended strictly for SD, that could be applied regardless of age (unless one is completely disabled). Meaning simple and dirty, does not require someone to be in top physical condition (like Muay Thai requires, for example), and are natural and instinctive. A few of which have worked for me IRL in the past. The only key is you have to be ready and WILLING to use them if 100% necessary. If someone isn’t willing and able, then nothing will work for them.

However, I will say that I have known some lifelong martial artists with real fighting experience who could still seriously damage people well into old age. My first Mantis teacher in Taiwan, when in his 70s, was surprisingly fast, accurate, and could still hurt you badly.

Only a few months ago, I visited my sifu in Choy Lee Fut at his home, and at 80, he still has speed, power, agility, and intensity, more so than most 30-somethings I see. Even though he obviously couldn’t compete in a ring match, he honestly didn’t look or move any different than he did in his 50s and early 60s, when was I actively training under him, and he was fast for his age then. He also had surgery to remove a brain tumor sometime prior to 2010, and had cancer surgery in 2021 (ironically, on the exact same day I had my last hernia surgery).

Supposedly, when Jack Dempsey was in his 70s, he KO’d two young muggers outside of his restaurant in NYC. Don’t count all old guys out.

These are some of the reasons why I still include things like Kung Fu forms practice (to a degree) in my training. Things that most martial arts and combat sports enthusiasts deem as worthless. But using forms as an example, they maintain your balance, coordination, train your mental discipline, and your body to move naturally in ways that are unnatural for the average person. There is something to be said for being able to move in ways most people can’t as one gets older. IMO, such physical and mental qualities are essential for daily living in itself, if one has been doing them since they were young. Of course, teaching an older person from scratch most likely wouldn’t help them much at all in that respect, unless maybe they’re taught a gentle form of Tai Chi or Qigong, which may help their coordination and balance, and lessen their chances of falls.

I carry a 51” straight, rustic walking stick made of hickory. I also know how to use it. I trained in staff fighting and sparring for years. In application, I never twirl it like a baton, or swing it around in a big arc like a baseball bat, like I’ve seen in many YouTube videos that show self-defense with a walking stick or a cane; which require too much room and probably wouldn’t have much effect against an attacker; and which also makes the cane or walking stick easier to block, grab, and possibly take away. The stick method I use, which I modified and simplified from southern-style staff fighting, can be done even in a confined area, like a narrow hallway, or in close quarters. I mainly use it single-ended, striking with the hard handle end, not the end with the rubber ferrule, except in rare instances. Used correctly, it’s almost too easy to apply, and is very difficult to deal with, much less be disarmed. It also covers a gray area between non-lethal and potentially lethal force.

I know that many people carry a cane out of necessity, but I do not. I prefer a walking stick. IMO, a cane gives the impression of frailty of the person carrying it, compared to a walking stick. I also prefer a straight stick, without a hooked end. Walking sticks also have more reach than canes. I don’t actually need a walking stick as a walking aid, and I don’t go around faking a limp. I simply carry it in my hand. I’ve passed cop cars with it, and the cops never even gave me or my stick a second look.

I distrust pepper spray, after a canister of Sabre Red failed me one day (before I started carrying a stick) when an aggressive dog came at me bearing its teeth, but luckily stopped short. The firing mechanism had literally frozen and wouldn’t fire. Also, there are instances during violent encounters where people are immune to pain, such as that caused by pepper spray, joint locks, etc. So my SD methods focus on mechanical damage, and not so much on inflicting pain, to stop at attack.

Jim
Definitely there are some men/women who are 70 with backgrounds in combat sports or martial arts that can tune up 90% of the people out there. It's just me. I know that I better not try it. I don't think that I have the stamina to fight for 15 minutes.

* Maybe I'd manage to defeat the perp and nothing will come of it. Everybody gets lucky once in a while.
* Maybe they will arrest me again. I've said it a few times, the only people who I see getting away clean with self defense in IL are CCW permit holders. I've seen a number of people in IL shot by CCWs and it is rare that one of them ever ends up arrested. It's like a get out of jail FREE card. If I ended up in prison as a 63yr old, that would be a dumb move on my part.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I have all of FCS Guro Ray Dionaldos videos. He has a knife drawing video for fixed blades that is spectacular.

https://youtu.be/2O6MchAeAkc

Doug Marcaida
https://youtu.be/UfV_TyCbwLo
James Y

Post by James Y »

Palm Strike VS Punch

(Video below)

I found this video entertaining.

Both palm strikes and punches are important. However, I no longer train to deliver closed-fisted punches to the head. The only type of fist strike I would use to the head anymore are hammer fists, and those are edge-of-fist strikes and are NOT PUNCHES, which land with the knuckles.

There are MANY people in martial arts who say that palm strikes aren't as effective as punches. It's obvious that most who make those comments don't actually train, much less have ever used, an open-palm heel strike in a fight.

Like anything else, palm heel strikes must be trained extensively, so they are as natural to throw in a fight as a punch. If you've only heard about, or only "know" about something but don't actually train it properly and extensively, it won't work for you in a real fight. In fact, you won't even remember it in the heat of violence, because it hasn't become ingrained into your nervous system so that it becomes an automatic action/reaction.

Many people don't train palm heel strikes because they generally aren't used in combat sports, at least not with any versatility, and they aren't as dramatic-looking as punches. Most people grew up watching movie fights where the hero punches the bad guy. He doesn't palm strike them. Off the top of my head, I can name only one American movie (A History of Violence) where a guy palm heeled another guy in a fight scene. Closed-fist punches are also seen as more 'masculine" than striking with a palm heel. Thus, many automatically consider palm heel strikes as worthless, or only something you might see in a women's self-defense course. Those are some examples of why many people (especially many men) have an aversion to actually putting in the work to develop palm heel striking into an effective weapon.

Palm heel strikes, especially palm heel thrusts, also require you to be closer in to your opponent than when throwing punches. Palm heel strikes require different ways of closing the gap, positioning yourself relative to the opponent, and a greater level of commitment. It involves more than only the difference between open palm and closed fist.

In addition, when using palm heel strikes, you must imagine yourself driving the ends of the forearm bones through the target. The palm heel is simply the end point with which the ends of the forearm bones make contact.

To be fair, not every type of strike fits every type of person. Everyone has their preferences. I just find it interesting when some people post comments online about the inferiority of palm striking compared to punching, when it is clear from their comments that they are assuming, and haven't seriously trained, much less actually used, palm heel strikes for real.

https://youtu.be/Uzqj1XTe84A

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Joe Lewis Talks About Bruce Lee and Kickboxing

https://youtu.be/AXdG577px94

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

"This Dude's Kick is Crazy"

I'm posting this because I really like his own shoestring budget training setup. I like how he doesn't always require the latest-greatest hi-tech gym for his own self-training. I love creative setups like this.

https://youtu.be/EI0ygcc9Mhw

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 1:36 am
"This Dude's Kick is Crazy"

I'm posting this because I really like his own shoestring budget training setup. I like how he doesn't always require the latest-greatest hi-tech gym for his own self-training. I love creative setups like this.

https://youtu.be/EI0ygcc9Mhw

Jim
I'd like to build an outdoor gym here like that but my neighbors would go nutz! I'll bookmark that video and if I get the hankerin maybe I'll do it. Tires are excellent for escrima training but this guy reveals that a lot more can be done with homemade equipment.
James Y

Post by James Y »

People Couldn't Believe He Could Do This

Believe it ot not, I've actually seen quite a few people who were very overweight like this guy, who could move quickly, do very good low postures, full splits, high kicks, and acrobatic flips. It's not as if he just took up training to lose weight. It's obvious that he's been training for decades, since he was a young child. And it's possible that he was never really lean to begin with, but just gained more weight over the years. Some people are natural endomorphs.

Some YouTube commenters said, "Just imagine if he were in shape." When I'll bet that none of them, in whatever shape they're in now, can move as well as he can.

Contrary to what the narrator says at the beginning, the Kung Fu he's doing (which actually looks like a type of performance Wushu mixed with gymnastics), and the ability to move like that, is NOT accessible to everyone. It requires a higher-than-average degree of coordination and natural athleticism, that the average person just doesn't have. If some long-time, overweight couch potato thinks they can one day decide to take up "Kung Fu" and move anything like he does, they are sadly mistaken.

Can he actually fight? Maybe. Maybe not. But like I always say, "Never Underestimate Anyone." Based on his ability to move in and of itself, he already defies people's expectations of how a person with that type of build should be able to move.

https://youtu.be/KFFJrQrxVps

Jim
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

James Y wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 12:56 am

Believe it ot not, I've actually seen quite a few people who were very overweight like this guy, who could move quickly, do very good low postures, full splits, high kicks, and acrobatic flips. It's not as if he just took up training to lose weight. It's obvious that he's been training for decades, since he was a young child. And it's possible that he was never really lean to begin with, but just gained more weight over the years. Some people are natural endomorphs.

Some YouTube commenters said, "Just imagine if he were in shape." When I'll bet that none of them, in whatever shape they're in now, can move as well as he can.

Contrary to what the narrator says at the beginning, the Kung Fu he's doing (which actually looks like a type of performance Wushu mixed with gymnastics), and the ability to move like that, is NOT accessible to everyone. It requires a higher-than-average degree of coordination and natural athleticism, that the average person just doesn't have. If some long-time, overweight couch potato thinks they can one day decide to take up "Kung Fu" and move anything like he does, they are sadly mistaken.

Can he actually fight? Maybe. Maybe not. But like I always say, "Never Underestimate Anyone." Based on his ability to move in and of itself, he already defies people's expectations of how a person with that type of build should be able to move.

Jim
If I saw this guy rip off his shirt and do that in public I would laugh (mostly WITH him). If he ripped his shirt off in anger towards me and began his acrobatics, I would run like a scalded dog
James Y

Post by James Y »

twinboysdad wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:31 am
James Y wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 12:56 am

Jim
If I saw this guy rip off his shirt and do that in public I would laugh (mostly WITH him). If he ripped his shirt off in anger towards me and began his acrobatics, I would run like a scalded dog

😄

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

S. Carman: "Why Karate is My Base"

https://youtu.be/QIDza9svu98

"Sayf" Carman on Karate

https://youtu.be/nFOC6sfRjeE

Jim
vivi

Post by vivi »

If you don't know, ONE FC has free cards every friday morning. They put on awesome fights. Mostly muay thai, some MMA. Highly recommended if you prefer the striking in MMA to the grappling side. Really good production values, good pacing and basically no ads. Can't beat it. Prefer it to the UFC these days.

There's a girls fight coming on now, then it's the co-main and main event.

ONE FC is also putting on a second card later tonight.
:unicorn
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I have mentioned before one of my sons wrestling, in fact he’s been year round (high school and club) going on 4 years. His brother has decided to try BJJ and in taking him I have been able to watch the judo class that coincides with the beginner BJJ. I did judo 19 years or so ago and there is no way at 49 I would consider this now. First off there are 8-10 dudes over 200 lbs and at least 2 are 6’4. There are a few who are at least my age if not older but they are tree trunks and I am a lanky bamboo LOL. All this to say a standing grapple with large boned oafs is not something I am game for anymore. The BJJ I could easily handle but I am really enjoying lifting and running and that alone still gives me aches and pains.
James Y

Post by James Y »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:46 am
If you don't know, ONE FC has free cards every friday morning. They put on awesome fights. Mostly muay thai, some MMA. Highly recommended if you prefer the striking in MMA to the grappling side. Really good production values, good pacing and basically no ads. Can't beat it. Prefer it to the UFC these days.

There's a girls fight coming on now, then it's the co-main and main event.

ONE FC is also putting on a second card later tonight.

Thanks, vivi.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:03 pm
I have mentioned before one of my sons wrestling, in fact he’s been year round (high school and club) going on 4 years. His brother has decided to try BJJ and in taking him I have been able to watch the judo class that coincides with the beginner BJJ. I did judo 19 years or so ago and there is no way at 49 I would consider this now. First off there are 8-10 dudes over 200 lbs and at least 2 are 6’4. There are a few who are at least my age if not older but they are tree trunks and I am a lanky bamboo LOL. All this to say a standing grapple with large boned oafs is not something I am game for anymore. The BJJ I could easily handle but I am really enjoying lifting and running and that alone still gives me aches and pains.

I took BJJ from ages 44 - 46. Just for the experience, not to be a lifetime pursuit. It was a competitive BJJ school, so there were many young, competitive guys. It was fun. There were a couple of guys who were in the 260 - 270-pound range. If they mounted or simply laid down on you, it was like a beached whale. That wasn't fun.

A lot of the guys, especially more seasoned practitioners, always had bandages on their fingers and toes. I knew I wasn't going to stay in BJJ for too long, because at that time my profession was massage therapist. Your hands are your money; I wasn't going to mess my hands up just to train a martial art. But it was fun while I did it. The grappling wasn't so strange to me, because I'd done similar floorwork in Judo decades earlier.

The most soreness I got from BJJ was my ears, from the friction. They would be red and feel hot after class. Something I hadn't even remembered from grappling back in my Judo days.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

An Interesting Martial Art You Haven't Heard Of

I remember Tadashi Yamashita from way back in the day. He was famous in the American martial arts scene in the 1970 and '80s. Anybody who has ever watched Enter the Dragon (starring Bruce Lee) has seen Tadashi Yamashita without even realizing it; he appeared briefly in film footage breaking objects on the arm and body of O'Hara (Bob Wall). Yamashita was also the leader of the evil ninja group opposite Chuck Norris in The Octagon (1980).

Tadashi Yamashita also appeared in Japanese martial arts movies that starred Sonny Chiba and Yasuaki Kurata in the '70s and '80s.

Tadashi Yamashita was originally a Shorin-ryu Karate sensei. It's clear to me that Yamashita was also heavily influenced by Ed Parker's American Kenpo. What he demonstrates in the video clips is not traditional Okinawan Shorin-ryu. Yamashita and Ed Parker were friends; I saw them together in person at Ed Parker's Long Beach Internationals tournament in the early '80s. He probably also studied Filipino MAs, and possibly some Chinese and Indonesian MAs. I hadn't been aware that he'd trained in Jeet Kune Do.

I've always heard that it was Dan Inosanto who taught Bruce Lee how to use the nunchaku. I've never heard anybody say that Tadashi Yamashita taught Bruce Lee.

https://youtu.be/3QL_Irmfk6Y

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Sayf Carman: "Who Said Karate Does Not Work?" (Part 1)

Some people may not like some of the things Sayf Carman says, but he speaks A LOT of truths in his videos.

Note: This video is 10 years old.

https://youtu.be/cyXYXHqBd7U

Jim