Am I finally done with knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The short answer: no.

The long answer, things have finally changed for me. My collection is huge. I have more knives than I know what to do with, and I've contemplated selling a chunk of the collection that I don't use. And my interests and priorities have changed. My spare money is going elsewhere. Saving up for vacations, and fun outings. And the biggest change music.

Some of you who have been around a while have heard me mention that I 'used to be' a musician and record engineer. And though my ambitions of being a professional in that business are long behind me, the 'used to be' part has slowly faded. I'm recording and playing again. My last spare $1000, went towards music and recording gear, not knives. And I think that's how it's going to be for a while.

I'm not done. I still carry my knives, still love them, and I'm sure I'll pick up a few this year. But it's finally slowing down for me.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JSumm

Re: Am I finally done with knives?

Post by JSumm »

Well, just because you are slowing down for the moment, don't let it keep you from discussions on here. I don't think you have to be actively collecting to provide feedback and commentary here both in Off-topic and in general where Sal likes to gather info. I know from Sal and Eric, that both the prototype displays and this forum provide them feedback that they want to hear. They look and listen to where the most traction is.

On your music, congrats on the new found interest and desire. You definitely owe it to yourself to pursue it further. Who knows what will come of it.
Last edited by JSumm on Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Congrats on returning to an activity you love!

I find myself in a similar boat, but without a definite direction like music. I'm trying to gear up to sell dozens of knives, fishing rods and reels, and firearms. Several bicycles. Hundreds of fishing lures. Winter clothing inappropriate for the Gulf Coast. I have too much stuff that I'll never use again.

If I weren't so intimidated by the actual process of selling, I'd already be well down that road...

And plus, there's the Nishijin Damascus Stretch 2 XL, so it's not the time to quit quite yet. :cheap-sunglasses
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Same here brother, I just put my money down and joined the waitlist for a Noble preamp/DI, and I won’t see it till approximately march of 2024. However, I play bass for about 6 live gigs a month on average, some paid, some not (which is at least 72 times a year). All with a knife in my pocket (usually Spyderco!)… And that’s outside of my full time job.
I encourage you to do it to whatever capacity you desire.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

@Coastal - you just described my position perfectly - except it's just bladed implements that I need to part with. Hundreds and hundreds of knives, machetes, etc., and I'm not real jazzed about the prospect of trying to organize it, calculate fair values of each piece, and then go through the boring and time consuming process of selling it all.
--Jeremy
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

The first time you list 10 or less and get back 4 digit numbers, you’ll discover it is well worth it.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I came to the realization the odd feeling I had for a couple of knives was due to their handles being too short for my taste. The handles were big and thick, but just too short in length. I'm also thinking of thinning the herd and starting with the knives that feel funky in hand.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Why sell? We all know guitarists only ever need one guitar … :zany
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I say follow your passion ! I purged my collection some years back , decided if I didn’t carry in pocket the knife had to go . I admit I miss a few and yes my collection is slowly growing but with a different outlook. I envy anybody who plays music and wish I had gone down that road years ago . As JSumm says : “ Follow your heart ! “ Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm kind of in the same boat Matt, totally understand. My collection is quite modest compared to yours, but even so feels like more than enough for what I need them for these days. I've mentioned many times already, that I received a promotion at work a few months back and it all but eliminated my relatively heavy knife use. Still a bitter sweet feeling, as I sit here at my desk with this wonderful S90V Ti/CF RIL Military in my pocket...knowing it's likely not going to cut a single thing today.

I used my knives heavily in the warehouse all these years and because of that needed to learn to sharpen knives, which then became an even more exciting aspect of the hobby than the knives themselves! Since I don't use my folders with food, they are pretty much relegated to odds and ends things around the house and landscaping. I've already got all kinds of different steels, different models with various lock types and materials. Knives from a $60 Manbug to a $600 CRK. I don't see any reason to continue buying knives. Chances are the role/niche is already filled in the collection.

I've seen a lot of cool sprints and exclusives released over the past year, but talked myself out of just about all of them. Which honestly made me a bit proud of myself, because I used to try to nab them all haha!! I also knew we had a lot of projects that we wanted to get done at the house, and my constant knife buying was really hampering my ability to save a lot of money.

After all that rambling...I'm basically content with what I have. I'm still interested in the hobby and enjoy reading others reviews and experiences with sharpening but my personal journey has pretty much come to an end. Very bitter sweet to finally make some better money and work a lot less hours, but at the expense of the fun of my favorite hobby.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:49 am
I'm kind of in the same boat Matt, totally understand. My collection is quite modest compared to yours, but even so feels like more than enough for what I need them for these days. I've mentioned many times already, that I received a promotion at work a few months back and it all but eliminated my relatively heavy knife use. Still a bitter sweet feeling, as I sit here at my desk with this wonderful S90V Ti/CF RIL Military in my pocket...knowing it's likely not going to cut a single thing today.

I used my knives heavily in the warehouse all these years and because of that needed to learn to sharpen knives, which then became an even more exciting aspect of the hobby than the knives themselves! Since I don't use my folders with food, they are pretty much relegated to odds and ends things around the house and landscaping. I've already got all kinds of different steels, different models with various lock types and materials. Knives from a $60 Manbug to a $600 CRK. I don't see any reason to continue buying knives. Chances are the role/niche is already filled in the collection.

I've seen a lot of cool sprints and exclusives released over the past year, but talked myself out of just about all of them. Which honestly made me a bit proud of myself, because I used to try to nab them all haha!! I also knew we had a lot of projects that we wanted to get done at the house, and my constant knife buying was really hampering my ability to save a lot of money.

After all that rambling...I'm basically content with what I have. I'm still interested in the hobby and enjoy reading others reviews and experiences with sharpening but my personal journey has pretty much come to an end. Very bitter sweet to finally make some better money and work a lot less hours, but at the expense of the fun of my favorite hobby.
I think that is a reasonable outlook Rick . I went through that phase years ago myself and realized I was missing out on other endeavors. The upside though as you have said using and sharpening is really the most important thing about a knife collection. You can’t replace the memories kicking back with the sweetie enjoying the hard work on your home . That satisfaction is priceless. Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

Knives are a great hobby, but IMO it's important to have a variety of interests/passions. That way, when interest in one hobby wanes a little, you have other passions to focus on.

I don't have as many knives as probably most forumites have, but I have a lot. Far too many to use up in a lifetime.

For the past decade-plus, I was already not buying many knives, sometimes going a few years without acquiring any. And 2 years ago, my knife-buying ended. All of my money goes to essentials, and any extra expenditures have been going into creating the online business I just started.

I would still like some models, and I even post about wanting some in the Spyderco discussion forum. But I also know that even before I stopped buying knives, about 98% of the knives I said I wanted I never actually bought. And until I start turning a profit, I won't be buying 100% of the knives I would still like to acquire.

It's actually very freeing. Many knife people have a serious case of FOMO around the constant need to acquire more. I don't have that. As a result, I actually enjoy the knives I have (at least the ones I favor) more than when stuck in the compulsion to constantly acquire more and more. After a while, that endorphin rush of getting a new knife becomes less and less, anyway.

Not "having to" constantly buy more knives doesn't mean I no longer have a passion for knives. I can still have an interest in knives, only from a different perspective now.

Jim
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

James Y wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:13 am
Knives are a great hobby, but IMO it's important to have a variety of interests/passions. That way, when interest in one hobby wanes a little, you have other passions to focus on.

I don't have as many knives as probably most forumites have, but I have a lot. Far too many to use up in a lifetime.

For the past decade-plus, I was already not buying many knives, sometimes going a few years without acquiring any. And 2 years ago, my knife-buying ended. All of my money goes to essentials, and any extra expenditures have been going into creating the online business I just started.

I would still like some models, and I even post about wanting some in the Spyderco discussion forum. But I also know that even before I stopped buying knives, about 98% of the knives I said I wanted I never actually bought. And until I start turning a profit, I won't be buying 100% of the knives I would still like to acquire.

It's actually very freeing. Many knife people have a serious case of FOMO around the constant need to acquire more. I don't have that. As a result, I actually enjoy the knives I have (at least the ones I favor) more than when stuck in the compulsion to constantly acquire more and more. After a while, that endorphin rush of getting a new knife becomes less and less, anyway.

Not "having to" constantly buy more knives doesn't mean I no longer have a passion for knives. I can still have an interest in knives, only from a different perspective now.

Jim
Very well said , once one passes through the gotta have it stage, it becomes easier . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Thanks for the kind words all! Seems a lot of your experiences are similar to mine. Glad I'm in good company.
:cheap-sunglasses

And I will definitely still try and stay active on the forum. Though I do want to cut back on the FOMO and seeing CF Subverts doesn't help :winking-tongue
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Not this one right?

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I hear you. I have enough edc knives to last a lifetime at this point. I buy new ones now mostly to try a new concept and those concepts have to be pretty good.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:23 am
James Y wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:13 am

Jim
Very well said , once one passes through the gotta have it stage, it becomes easier . Dan

Exactly, Dan. You gotta "Break on through to the other side."

😁

Now, even if I had the extra funds, it would be difficult to break the inertia of not buying knives to get myself to buy another knife again.

Jim
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Ha ha ha James ! The Doors ! Good one . Dan
Henry David Thoreau
James Y

Post by James Y »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:52 pm
Thanks for the kind words all! Seems a lot of your experiences are similar to mine. Glad I'm in good company.
:cheap-sunglasses

And I will definitely still try and stay active on the forum. Though I do want to cut back on the FOMO and seeing CF Subverts doesn't help :winking-tongue

I admire that you are reigniting your passion for music. And for simply prioritizing enjoying life!

🙂

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:08 pm
Ha ha ha James ! The Doors ! Good one . Dan

This is gonna sound corny as heck, but I’m…

“Mr. No-Knife Buyin’! Mr. No-Knife Buyin’!” (in Jim Morrison’s voice).

😊

Jim