If you could, would you go back in time?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ChrisinHove

Re: If you could, would you go back in time?

Post by ChrisinHove »

Also a lot of what we assume about the “olden days” is what we have seen on the screen about the few people then with money and/or privilege.

You don’t have to talk with many people who recall the pre WW2 days to realise the overwhelming majority of folks didn’t have very much colour or interest in their lives at all, which were full of drudgery and financial uncertainty.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:03 am
Also a lot of what we assume about the “olden days” is what we have seen on the screen about the few people then with money and/or privilege.

You don’t have to talk with many people who recall the pre WW2 days to realise the overwhelming majority of folks didn’t have very much colour or interest in their lives at all, which were full of drudgery and financial uncertainty.

MOST of them think that are ignorant, programmed, and or delusional. :eye-roll

There was no good old days in human history. ;)

Nostalgia is nothing more than a delusion in itself being fueled by the programmed by certain types and regurgitated by the intentionally ignorant.

Given the sheep like nature, confirmation bias and the inability of the most to actually think for themselves a lot of it is not surprising at all.
James Y

Post by James Y »

ChrisinHove wrote:

Chris,

Very true. And it's usually people who were born long after a particular time period who romanticize it and long to go back to it.

I have heard a few people who actually lived through an era (the 1950s, for example), who described it as "perfect." But almost without exception, those who said that and who were alive at that time were kids back then. How something is seen and experienced from a child's perspective is usually worlds apart from an adult's perspective.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:54 am
ChrisinHove wrote:

Nostalgia is nothing more than a delusion in itself being fueled by the programmed by certain types and regurgitated by the intentionally ignorant.

Given the sheep like nature, confirmation bias and the inability of the most to actually think for themselves a lot of it is not surprising at all.

Jim,

A lot of those who think the past was all better don't even realize that a high percentage of people nowadays (including themselves) would have been considered prime candidates to be taken to, and left to rot, in places like those in the video below. In fact, similar things were still happening after WW2:

What It Was Like to Be a Mental Patient in the 1900s

https://youtu.be/j1hkwWi1YxM

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:29 am
Ankerson wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:

Jim,

A lot of those who think the past was all better don't even realize that a high percentage of people nowadays (including themselves) would have been considered prime candidates to be taken to, and left to rot, in places like those in the video below. In fact, similar things were still happening after WW2:

Jim

Jim,

Good video.

Well like I said most of them are intentionally ignorant, programmed and or delusional in the 1st place so. :rofl

They might have been in one, well they would need a lot more of them today and much larger ones too to house all of these. :rofl

Might need a huge island or just ship them all to Antartica with as many as there are these days. :smirk

I see more than a few post stuff all the time on my feed that are way down the rabbit hole. :rofl

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:13 am
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim,

Good video.

Well like I said most of them are intentionally ignorant, programmed and or delusional in the 1st place so. :rofl

They might have been in one, well they would need a lot more of them today and much larger ones too to house all of these. :rofl

Might need a huge island or just ship them all to Antartica with as many as there are these days. :smirk

I see more than a few post stuff all the time on my feed that are way down the rabbit hole. :rofl

Jim

Jim,

TBH, because I used to suffer from depression, in decades past, I myself would have been considered a prime candidate to have been locked up in an asylum. The big difference is that unlike people today, I and many others who experienced depression in past decades never openly talked about it. So I was able to keep it hidden. Even now there are those who keep it hidden, until they don't.

People were stuck in such places for the littlest and stupidest of reasons. Being an unwed mother was another one of many stupid reasons people were locked up. I'll bet that being overly sentimental for, and wanting to return to past eras, would have counted as a form.of "insanity" back then.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:20 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim,

Good video.

Jim

Jim,

TBH, because I used to suffer from depression, in decades past, I myself would have been considered a prime candidate to have been locked up in an asylum. The big difference is that unlike people today, I and many others who experienced depression in past decades never openly talked about it. So I was able to keep it hidden. Even now there are those who keep it hidden, until they don't.

People were stuck in such places for the littlest and stupidest of reasons. Being an unwed mother was another one of many stupid reasons people were locked up. I'll bet that being overly sentimental for, and wanting to return to past eras, would have counted as a form.of "insanity" back then.

Jim

Jim,

One of the main issues is that so many focus so much on the past for various reasons. :eye-roll

We however should not forget history, but don't delude it, twist etc for various gains. Which seems to happen all too often.

Like I said and will repeat again. "THERE WAS NO GOOD OLD DAYS"

That is the harsh reality of it all and people do really need to wake up and realize this.

Live in the present and try and make improvements for the future all the while not forgetting the mistakes from the past.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:33 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim,

Good video.

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim,

One of the main issues is that so many focus so much on the past for various reasons. :eye-roll

We however should not forget history, but don't delude it, twist etc for various gains. Which seems to happen all too often.

That is the harsh reality of it all and people do really need to wake up and realize this.

Live in the present and try and make improvements for the future all the while not forgetting the mistakes from the past.

Jim

I agree. So many romanticize the past because they're not experiencing it in the here and now. So they mostly experience it through old photos, reruns of Leave It To Beaver, and The Andy Griffith Show, and start to believe that that's how life really was back then. And though it might seem impossible to believe, RIGHT NOW will one day be seen as "The Good Old Day" for certain generations.

Ordinary people have opportunities to do things right now that people only a couple decades ago, much less 40, 50, or 60 years ago, could never have even imagined doing. If used positively, such things can only be life-enriching.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:43 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Good video.

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim,

Jim

I agree. So many romanticize the past because they're not experiencing it in the here and now. So they mostly experience it through old photos, reruns of Leave It To Beaver, and The Andy Griffith Show, and start to believe that that's how life really was back then. And though it might seem impossible to believe, RIGHT NOW will one day be seen as "The Good Old Day" for certain generations.

Ordinary people have opportunities to do things right now that people only a couple decades ago, much less 40, 50, or 60 years ago, could never have even imagined doing. If used positively, such things can only be life-enriching.

Jim

Jim,

Yes, absolutely. :cheap-sunglasses

So many things we now take for granted were not even remotely possible in the past as you said.

And that's not even getting into quality of life in general, it's getting better even though so many are fighting to reverse everything and put us all back into the past. :eye-roll

You know back in the good old days... :eye-roll

And yes they really are trying to put all of us there again, back 250+ years ago. :eye-roll

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:52 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

So many things we now take for granted were not even remotely possible in the past as you said.

And that's not even getting into quality of life in general, it's getting better even though so many are fighting to reverse everything and put us all back into the past. :eye-roll

And yes they really are trying to put all of us there again, back 250+ years ago. :eye-roll

Jim

Jim,

Are there times in my youth that I feel a bit nostalgic for? Yes, sometimes. Nothing wrong with that. What would be 'not good' is to become so fixated on the past being better, and wanting so bad to return to it, that one isn't able to appreciate and live in "the now." The latter leads to a type of arrested development.

IMO, some things in the past WERE better. Movies (for the most part), popular music, etc. But as I've mentioned before, if there really were a time machine and I could go back to the '70s, I wouldn't go back, not even for a visit. I experienced a lot of good, but in many ways, hindsight can be selective.

Speaking for myself, I will say that I feel lucky to have grown up and experienced up through my young adulthood BEFORE the internet and social media came along. For many reasons, including the fact that I can appreciate the benefits of modern technology without necessarily being overly attached to, or overly influenced by it. Yet not having been born so far back to have felt limited in the choices of what I could do in life.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:57 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:52 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim,

Are there times in my youth that I feel a bit nostalgic for? Yes, sometimes. Nothing wrong with that. What would be 'not good' is to become so fixated on the past being better, and wanting so bad to return to it, that one isn't able to appreciate and live in "the now." The latter leads to a type of arrested development.

IMO, some things in the past WERE better. Movies (for the most part), popular music, etc. But as I've mentioned before, if there really were a time machine and I could go back to the '70s, I wouldn't go back, not even for a visit. I experienced a lot of good, but in many ways, hindsight can be selective.

Speaking for myself, I will say that I feel lucky to have grown up and experienced up through my young adulthood BEFORE the internet and social media came along. For many reasons, including the fact that I can appreciate the benefits of modern technology without necessarily being overly attached to, or overly influenced by it. Yet not having been born so far back to have felt limited in the choices of what I could do in life.

Jim

Jim,

I think we can appreciate the technology more than others.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:27 pm

Jim,

I think we can appreciate the technology more than others.

Jim

Thanks for the correction, Jim. I'm usually hesitant about speaking for others when making statements like that.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

What Was the Diet of a Medieval Peasant?

https://youtu.be/H21Olb24cpY

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

How Far Back in Time Could an English Speaker Go and Still Communicate Effectively?

Several years back, I watched a Scottish horror movie that was in English. But all of the actors' Scottish accents were so thick that the movie had English subtitles, which were greatly needed. Throughout most of the film, I had to read the subtitles, because it sounded like they were speaking another language. And I think that the movie had originally been intended only for release in the UK.

How much harder would it be to go back centuries and understand, and especially to be understood, when speaking English? Or any other language compared to its modern versions.

I had a friend who originally came from Liverpool who told me that one time, he went into a pub in another part of England, and he could barely understand the local bartender, because of his accent and his speech pattern. I'm not sure if that's a common type of occurrence over there or not.

https://youtu.be/Y63dBBlHlSk

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Marie Antoinette: What Did She Look Like? Facial Recreations From Death-Mask & History Documentary

This isn't related to traveling back in time, but it's quite interesting, IMO.

https://youtu.be/OXhEBfK3Njc

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:43 pm

Jim

Jim,

Now this would be the video for most of the delusional to watch. ;)

But then it would blow holes in their belief system to the point they wouldn't believe it.

In the end this is what some are actually pushing for and hard for all of us to go back to now. :eye-roll

That if they actually realize it or not, but then most are too ignorant to realize what it is they are actually asking for.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:12 am
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

But then it would blow holes in their belief system to the point they wouldn't believe it.

In the end this is what some are actually pushing for and hard for all of us to go back to now. :eye-roll

That if they actually realize it or not, but then most are too ignorant to realize what it is they are actually asking for.

Jim

True.

I wonder how many of those who *really* want to go back to the past…not talking about those who just reminisce about it, but those who seriously want to go back to another time period…were actually alive before there were such things as modern amenities. Would anyone, including a millennial or a Gen Z person, really want to go back to medieval times? Or the 1800s? Or even back to the 1970s or ‘80s, before anyone could go online and look up almost anything, and post comments or videos that can be viewed worldwide in a second? I know I wouldn’t, and I’m a latter-period “boomer.”

It’s kind of like the people who watch anime, and want to move to Japan, because want to live in an anime world. Not realizing that anime are fictional, often fantastical entertainment.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

James Y wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:12 pm
How Far Back in Time Could an English Speaker Go and Still Communicate Effectively?
….

Jim
That’s quite an interesting video! I think you would be better off learning Latin as a time traveller, as you could always find a member of the clergy - or a Roman! - to communicate with.

U.K. accents are becoming less problematic over time, but dialects and colloquialisms still vary widely. It usually doesn’t take long to “tune-in”.
James Y

Post by James Y »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:45 am
James Y wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:12 pm
….

Jim
That’s quite an interesting video! I think you would be better off learning Latin as a time traveller, as you could always find a member of the clergy - or a Roman! - to communicate with.

U.K. accents are becoming less problematic over time, but dialects and colloquialisms still vary widely. It usually doesn’t take long to “tune-in”.

Thanks for sharing, Chris.

When my mom and my aunt went to visit Japan for the first time in 1984, they spoke some Japanese that they had learned in a Japanese-language school in Los Angeles in the 1930s. They had been born here. When they visited relatives in Japan for the first time and spoke in Japanese, they were understood, but were told their Japanese was very good but archaic Japanese. It was a more formalized, old-fashioned manner of speaking. Sort of like if an educated person from the eastern United States in the late 1800s to early 1900s time traveled to modern times and spoke English; they would be understood, but their manner of speech would seem a bit strange. Because spoken languages are always changing with the times in the countries where they are spoken, for better or for worse.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:42 am
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:12 am
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

True.

I wonder how many of those who *really* want to go back to the past…not talking about those who just reminisce about it, but those who seriously want to go back to another time period…were actually alive before there were such things as modern amenities. Would anyone, including a millennial or a Gen Z person, really want to go back to medieval times? Or the 1800s? Or even back to the 1970s or ‘80s, before anyone could go online and look up almost anything, and post comments or videos that can be viewed worldwide in a second? I know I wouldn’t, and I’m a latter-period “boomer.”

It’s kind of like the people who watch anime, and want to move to Japan, because want to live in an anime world. Not realizing that anime are fictional, often fantastical entertainment.

Jim

Jim,

Who knows, these morons just are typically parroting what they heard and or read someplace so I seriously doubt they actually have any clue. :eye-roll

Kinda like the certain types who have all the answers for everyone else thinking it will just effect everyone except them. :rofl

They are too stupid to realize they would be affected just like everyone else. :eye-roll

It's all part of the delusions.

Jim