Bark River Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kennethsime

Re: Bark River Knives

Post by kennethsime »

HolySteel wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:04 pm
I only have one Bark River - a Macassar-ebony-handled 'First Production Run', unused but with no box. I think I paid too much, but I love Macassar Ebony and wanted a BR drop point hunter as my first one.

I was not impressed with the finishing details as compared to my L.T. Wright hunter - you can barely feel where the scales meet the spine on that one - but I can always finish it myself, and probably will at some point.
Looks like a Bobcat Hunter, or maybe a CDPH to me. They print first production run on the first run of each new model.

It’s interesting that you mentioned the comparison to LT Wright. I have a few smaller LTs, and while the workmanship is very good, the first thing I noticed compared to my BRKs is that the finishes are rougher. I agree though, my LTs have been impeccable.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:03 pm
HolySteel wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:04 pm
I only have one Bark River - a Macassar-ebony-handled 'First Production Run', unused but with no box. I think I paid too much, but I love Macassar Ebony and wanted a BR drop point hunter as my first one.

I was not impressed with the finishing details as compared to my L.T. Wright hunter - you can barely feel where the scales meet the spine on that one - but I can always finish it myself, and probably will at some point.
Looks like a Bobcat Hunter, or maybe a CDPH to me. They print first production run on the first run of each new model.

It’s interesting that you mentioned the comparison to LT Wright. I have a few smaller LTs, and while the workmanship is very good, the first thing I noticed compared to my BRKs is that the finishes are rougher. I agree though, my LTs have been impeccable.
It's 8.2" long - I thought it was a CDPH. Also, it's the only BRK I've ever handled, so I have no others to compare the finishing to, but I have three L.T. Wrights and they are all perfect.

I will probably end up with another BRK at some point, but I've been tied up chasing Spydercos recently.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:55 pm
It’s a rainy Sunday here. I cleaned the house, walked the dog, and wasn’t ready to crack a beer yet, so I took all the Barkies out and did some edge maintenance. Reloaded the DLT CL paddle strop and went to down.

God darn, these are my favorite knives. Strop back to paper carving in no time. I wish I could strop my V-grind knives like this!

The Bushcraft Scout in Magnacut is probably the sharpest. Great steel.

Dude - Stellar collection!!! I’ve gotta get on the “Premium” fixed blade bandwagon and I’m sure it’s a 🐇🕳️…but I hike/camp or kayak/canoe trip and hunt/fish too much not to at least get a couple…would love an edc and bushcraft model or maybe just something in the middle…thinking about a couple Bradford Guardians but these Bark Rivers look awesome, especially the PSK👏👊
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:45 am
kennethsime wrote:

Dude - Stellar collection!!! I’ve gotta get on the “Premium” fixed blade bandwagon and I’m sure it’s a 🐇🕳️…but I hike/camp or kayak/canoe trip and hunt/fish too much not to at least get a couple…would love an edc and bushcraft model or maybe just something in the middle…thinking about a couple Bradford Guardians but these Bark Rivers look awesome, especially the PSK👏👊
My favorite EDC fixie is my LT Wright Frontier Valley, which is fairly comparable to the Bradford Guardian. I'd like a Barkie that size at some point - maybe the PSK EDC, maybe the Essential 2.

I definitely feel like the BRKs shine in larger knives, where you can really put them to work. The Bravo 1.25 LT is my favorite camp knife, but you can't go wrong with anything from the Bravo, Bushcrafter, or Aurora family. That convex grind is next level.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Thanks, I’ll have a look 👊
Pickmansmodel82

Post by Pickmansmodel82 »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:46 am
kennethsime wrote:
I definitely feel like the BRKs shine in larger knives, where you can really put them to work. The Bravo 1.25 LT is my favorite camp knife, but you can't go wrong with anything from the Bravo, Bushcrafter, or Aurora family. That convex grind is next level.
Agreed. Friend of mine let me use a bushcraft ultra lite for a couple of trips. Decent knife, but didn’t care for the handle.

Fast forward a couple of months, found a deal on an ext 1 in magnacut. Great palm swell and size on the handles. The convex grind just lasers through materials. Beating on it a bit including batoning wood never felt less than confident in its performance.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I’ve gotta get on the “Premium” fixed blade bandwagon and I’m sure it’s a 🐇🕳️…but I hike/camp or kayak/canoe trip and hunt/fish too much not to at least get a couple…would love an edc and bushcraft model or maybe just something in the middle…thinking about a couple Bradford Guardians but these Bark Rivers look awesome, especially the PSK👏👊
I own two PSKs and about a dozen Guardian 3's (it's one of my go-to platforms for trying out a new steel). I prefer the ergonomics of the Guardian (it fits my hand better) as well as the slightly greater blade length (seems much more noticeable than the measurement in my EDC uses).

The Guardians get _a lot_ more EDC carry time than the PSKs. Some of that is the sheath (the PSK sheath totally _sucks_), so I've been meaning to put together a good kydex sheath (want to work on my sheath making skills anyway--I've been carrying one of Chad Kelly's knives and his sheath is a masterpiece) and give the PSK some more belt time to see if it can grow on me a bit more.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Pickmansmodel82 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:59 am
kennethsime wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:46 am
kennethsime wrote:
Agreed. Friend of mine let me use a bushcraft ultra lite for a couple of trips. Decent knife, but didn’t care for the handle.

Fast forward a couple of months, found a deal on an ext 1 in magnacut. Great palm swell and size on the handles. The convex grind just lasers through materials. Beating on it a bit including batoning wood never felt less than confident in its performance.
Those EXTs look really cool. I’m on a spending freeze right now, but I’d really love to compare an EXT 1 to my Gunny Hunter LT. DLT either just dropped, or is about to drop some LT EXT-1s and EXT-2s, which really light my fire.

SaltyCaribbeanDfly

TomAiello wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 9:12 am
I’ve gotta get on the “Premium” fixed blade bandwagon and I’m sure it’s a 🐇🕳️…but I hike/camp or kayak/canoe trip and hunt/fish too much not to at least get a couple…would love an edc and bushcraft model or maybe just something in the middle…thinking about a couple Bradford Guardians but these Bark Rivers look awesome, especially the PSK👏👊
I own two PSKs and about a dozen Guardian 3's (it's one of my go-to platforms for trying out a new steel). I prefer the ergonomics of the Guardian (it fits my hand better) as well as the slightly greater blade length (seems much more noticeable than the measurement in my EDC uses).

The Guardians get _a lot_ more EDC carry time than the PSKs. Some of that is the sheath (the PSK sheath totally _sucks_), so I've been meaning to put together a good kydex sheath (want to work on my sheath making skills anyway--I've been carrying one of Chad Kelly's knives and his sheath is a masterpiece) and give the PSK some more belt time to see if it can grow on me a bit more.
Thanks for your input…a dozen? Man I just want a couple!!! I like the PSK and Guardians but a Chad Kelly would be incredible!!!👊
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Bravo 1.25 LTs just dropped in Cruwear over at DLT.

They’re a pretty penny, but gosh darn is that not a knife to end all knives.

Edit: looks like this isn’t a new run, but rather a release of preorders. There are fresh examples of a few other models too.

Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

Greetings from Marinette WI

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Granoo Fink wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:56 am
Gorgeous. I hope you stopped by DLT! Is that an EXT-1?

Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:22 pm
Granoo Fink wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:56 am
Gorgeous. I hope you stopped by DLT! Is that an EXT-1?
It's an EXT-2 LT.
I like that's a little bit longer. Those LT ones are my favorites.
kobold

Post by kobold »

The mighty Tundra 3 Camp.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

kobold wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:13 am
The mighty Tundra 3 Camp.
That knife is a STUD!!!👊
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

PSK EDC, really liking this little guy so far 👍
kobold

Post by kobold »

PSKs are cool, esp. this black with matching mosaic pins is the :bomb .
Also have one in burl. :-)
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Yeah it’s a sweet little knife and the mosaic pins are cool looking…I hardly notice it in my pocket…just looked up the burl and they are beautiful, had no idea there were so many variations 👏
kobold

Post by kobold »

kobold

Post by kobold »

LT doing kitchen stuff. Admirably.