Nearly-Forgotten TV Shows, Themes, and Ads

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Nearly-Forgotten TV Shows, Themes, and Ads

Post by Doc Dan »

To some, those old shows are silly, "dorky". However, I'd like to point out that such shows have a huge influence on kids and how they behave. They modeled good morals and good behavior. When you compare them to most shows nowadays, they may not be as technically good, but the are a lot better in ways that count. Look at what is modeled on most shows, today and then look at our society. I ask you...were we better off then, or now?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:07 pm
To some, those old shows are silly, "dorky". However, I'd like to point out that such shows have a huge influence on kids and how they behave. They modeled good morals and good behavior. When you compare them to most shows nowadays, they may not be as technically good, but the are a lot better in ways that count. Look at what is modeled on most shows, today and then look at our society. I ask you...were we better off then, or now?

Doc, this might shock you, but I don't necessarily dislike those old shows, or at least not all of them. Otherwise, I wouldn't have started this thread. I grew up on those types of shows in the '60s and '70s. I can feel that certain aspects of things are dorky without outright disliking them. But not everything back then was necessarily great, and not all kids had great behavior back then, either. I'm thankful that I grew up when I did, and I wouldn't trade places with a young person growing up today for anything in the world. But I also don't look back on the past with rose-colored glasses

One thing I will say for some of those old shows was their ability to take little things and make an entire episode around them. For example, like The Andy Griffith Show. I actually like watching reruns on TV Land. There was an innocence (as it was presented in fictional TV shows) that doesn't exist anymore. And yes, some of that was dorky. Some in a nice dorky way, and others in a dorky-dorky way.

As for more recent or current dramatic TV series or sitcoms, I barely watch any at all. Virtually zero.

It is my opinion that the popular music, movies, and also much of TV, etc., from decades past were, and still are, worlds better than now.

Nowadays, I'm willing to bet that kids are FAR more influenced by social media and current popular music than they are by what's on TV.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 11:26 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

Doc, this might shock you, but I don't necessarily dislike those old shows, or at least not all of them. Otherwise, I wouldn't have started this thread. I grew up on those types of shows in the '60s and '70s. I can feel that certain aspects of things are dorky without outright disliking them. But not everything back then was necessarily great, and not all kids had great behavior back then, either. I'm thankful that I grew up when I did, and I wouldn't trade places with a young person growing up today for anything in the world. But I also don't look back on the past with rose-colored glasses

One thing I will say for some of those old shows was their ability to take little things and make an entire episode around them. For example, like The Andy Griffith Show. I actually like watching reruns on TV Land. There was an innocence (as it was presented in fictional TV shows) that doesn't exist anymore. And yes, some of that was dorky. Some in a nice dorky way, and others in a dorky-dorky way.

As for more recent or current dramatic TV series or sitcoms, I barely watch any at all. Virtually zero.

It is my opinion that the popular music, movies, and also much of TV, etc., from decades past were, and still are, worlds better than now.

Nowadays, I'm willing to bet that kids are FAR more influenced by social media and current popular music than they are by what's on TV.

Jim

Jim,

Have to agree with you here.

I also don't look at the past with rose colored glasses on as way many seem to do, and that fuels the ongoing delusions. ;)

And or selective memory, also adds to the delusions. :eye-roll

A lot of the shows were better overall, the quality of the acting in itself was better as was the plots of the shows. One thing I also liked was the episodes could stand alone and were not just one constant like a soap opera like most of todays shows.

For the rest, social media and the sort, there have always been jerks out there and other assorted unsavory types, that's just human nature and society in general really.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 5:33 am
James Y wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Jim

Jim,

I also don't look at the past with rose colored glasses on as way many seem to do, and that fuels the ongoing delusions. ;)

A lot of the shows were better overall, the quality of the acting in itself was better as was the plots of the shows. One thing I also liked was the episodes could stand alone and were not just one constant like a soap opera like most of todays shows.

For the rest, social media and the sort, there have always been jerks out there and other assorted unsavory types, that's just human nature and society in general really.

Jim

Jim,

Yeah, I realized quite awhile ago that although I had a mostly great childhood back then, I also remember living it through a kid's perspective. Unless someone grows up in a bad area, or in a toxic household, most kids have a sheltered perspective of the world.

I'm thankful I wasn't born a decade earlier. Only recently, my brother told me what he dealt with in school, from both other students and teachers. People who were supposedly only exposed to "wholesome" influences. By the time I came along, things weren't nearly as bad. It explains why he had been so moody and rebellious back then.

I wasn't intending on this becoming a social commentary, but I often hear some Americans say that X-decade (the 1950s, for example) was "perfect" and "idyllic." I guess it depends on your perspective. Maybe for some people the '50s were perfect. But as you say, selective memory probably plays a part in a lot of it, too.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 6:09 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim,

Yeah, I realized quite awhile ago that although I had a mostly great childhood back then, I also remember living it through a kid's perspective. Unless someone grows up in a bad area, or in a toxic household, most kids have a sheltered perspective of the world.

I'm thankful I wasn't born a decade earlier. Only recently, my brother told me what he dealt with in school, from both other students and teachers. By the time I came along, things weren't nearly as bad. It explains why he had been so moody and rebellious back then.

I wasn't intending on this becoming a social commentary, but I often hear some Americans say that X-decade (the 1950s, for example) was "perfect" and "idyllic." I guess it depends on your perspective. Maybe for some people the '50s were perfect. But as you say, selective memory probably plays a part in a lot of it, too.

Jim

Jim,

That's pretty much all of it really, it just feeds the delusions.

Selective memory, believe what they want to believe, being told what they want to hear, confirmation bias and some other things all are the issues with most of it.

There never was a perfect time period in human history, it's a delusion spoon fed to the delusional that need to hear and believe what they want to believe. They will believe just about anything if it fits into their belief system. I see it every day and it is really sad.

Yes, I also hear and or read it all the time also, but all they are doing is repeating what they heard some place else.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 6:27 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim,

I'm thankful I wasn't born a decade earlier. Only recently, my brother told me what he dealt with in school, from both other students and teachers. By the time I came along, things weren't nearly as bad. It explains why he had been so moody and rebellious back then.

Jim

Jim,

Selective memory, believe what they want to believe, being told what they want to hear, confirmation bias and some other things all are the issues with most of it.

There never was a perfect time period in human history, it's a delusion spoon fed to the delusional that need to hear and believe what they want to believe. They will believe just about anything if it fits into their belief system. I see it every day and it is really sad.

Yes, I also hear and or read it all the time also, but all they are doing is repeating what they heard some place else.

Jim

Yes, "the grass is always greener," as they say.

I'd like to point out that we aren't talking about, or singling out, anybody here, who has posted in this thread.

This subject begins to cross over into some of the discussions in my "If you could, would you go back in time?" (or whatever the thread title is) thread.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 7:22 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 6:27 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Yes, "the grass is always greener," as they say.

I'd like to point out that we aren't talking about, or singling out, anybody here, who has posted in this thread.

This subject begins to cross over into some of the discussions in my "If you could, would you go back in time?" (or whatever the thread title is) thread.

Jim

Jim,

Exactly.

I just get sick and tired of hearing it personally. :eye-roll

Watched this the other day again. (back on track)

https://youtu.be/--gdB-nnQkU

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 6:33 am

Jim

Good film. I watched it again around 10 years ago. A lot of it is really corny now, but still entertaining.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Frankenstein Jr. & The Impossibles (1966 - 1967)

Intro:

https://youtu.be/0NnGf_ZHcbI

https://youtu.be/EGDmgn-wDJY

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Fri May 26, 2023 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 10:50 am
Ankerson wrote:

Jim

Good film. I watched it again around 10 years ago. A lot of it is really corny now, but still entertaining.

Jim

Jim,

The story line is solid though, based on a book.

There is a documentary on the film that is an interesting watch.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 10:57 am
James Y wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 10:50 am
Ankerson wrote:

Jim

Jim

Jim,

The story line is solid though, based on a book.

There is a documentary on the film that is an interesting watch.

Jim

Haven't read the book. Will probably check out the documentary.

The thing I really noticed when I watched it again was that the gang members looked way too old to be running the streets the way they were. Not that there aren't older gang members in real life, because there are. But I would expect the ones running around like that to be mostly in their mid-to-late teens, possibly early 20s. The actors looked to be well into their 30s.

Not that movies have to be realistic to be entertaining. Heck, I like good old-school martial arts films, which aren't realistic at all.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Welcome Back, Kotter (1975 - 1979)

Theme song:

I think I only watched the first season of this. Possibly into the second season. The only cast member who went on to big-name crossover stardom was John Travolta.

https://youtu.be/Mmm3KTa601s

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Sugar Time (1977)

This is a REALLY-forgotten show. I remembered seeing TV promos for it, and I remember hearing the opening theme song once or twice. The only reason I remember anything about it at all is because it co-starred Playboy Playmate Barbi Benton. Don't ask how a 14-year-old kid knew who Barbi Benton was. Anyway, I had to Google her name and her TV appearances to remember the name of this show, which understandably lasted only one season.

Intro:

https://youtu.be/6wnXGhhw4g4

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Tom & Jerry / Grape Ape Show (1975, intro)

Back then, I thought this was an awful cartoon. However, compared to most of the crap that passes for TV today, it wasn't half bad.

https://youtu.be/Ee3VTf784q0

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Candid Camera

(Gorgeous Teacher segment, 1965)

IMO, the boys' reactions to the hot lady teacher are a lot more entertaining than the girls' reaction to the male teacher. If the boy who says, "Holy mackeral!" in the very last segment had stood up, that table would have risen up with him.

🤭

Candid Camera was probably the very first of what are now called "reality tv" entertainment shows, at least in the States.

https://youtu.be/7mGlQeSbou0

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

ShamWoW Commercial (original)

https://youtu.be/1Q39yGLPkMY

I've gotta say, you have to admire this guy's tenacity and resourcefulness. Most people in his shoes would have given up long ago, but he keeps on plugging away. He's not afraid to hustle and get himself out there. That takes a lot of chutzpah.

What Happened to Vince from ShamWoW?

https://youtu.be/Di9rFWSpGrE

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Smash-Up on Interstate 5 - Full TV Movie (Aired December 3, 1976)

I remember watching this when it aired. I was 13. Didn't leave much of an impression on me. I had thought it was a dramatized movie based on a real incident. It seems pretty dorky now. But TBH, as corny as it is, it's still better than a lot of what's being put on TV nowadays.

https://youtu.be/WUSeABQRi84

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Just watched Death Race 2000 (1975) again.

https://youtu.be/twVaEpqXR2I&t=3444s
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:08 pm
Just watched Death Race 2000 (1975) again.

https://youtu.be/twVaEpqXR2I&t=3444s

Thanks, Jim!

Jim
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

James Y wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:51 am
Airlsee wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:18 am
As a 9–11 year-old kid in the late 90's I used to watch Speed Racer and Jonny Quest every night and it wasn't until many years later that I realized they were actually re-runs, LOL!

This thread is great, thanks Jim!

I'm glad you are enjoying it, Airlsee!

Actually, Jonny Quest was, and still is, my favorite cartoon show of all time! By the time I first saw it at age 4 in 1967, it was already in reruns, though of course, I didn't know it at the time. It originally aired from 1964 to 1965.

It was way ahead of its time...then again, maybe not; it regularly featured people (mostly bad guys) getting killed in various ways: Getting shot, crushed, blown up, killed by animals and monsters, etc. Even by the late '60s or early '70s, that type of violence wasn't allowed anymore on Saturday morning cartoons. It was only later, as an adult, that I realized how unique it was. The soundtrack music was great, too! I liked the show so much, I got the series DVD set when it was released.

Speed Racer was great, too. It was among the first Japanese animated series to air in the US.

Jonny Quest, intro & closing credits:

https://youtu.be/svbjS7YZ7sc

Jim
Yup, Jonny Quest was my favorite as well. Sadly it was only one season.
Another good one was Space Ghost.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.