Men's Belts?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
awa54

Re: Men's Belts?

Post by awa54 »

Wide belts, watch bands and wrist bands without a watch, in black leather and sporting a double row of holes were definitely a thing in the mid to late 70s as I recall.

Nothing inherently wrong with that style, I just didn't love it then and had no choice but to wear it...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

awa54 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:13 am
Wide belts, watch bands and wrist bands without a watch, in black leather and sporting a double row of holes were definitely a thing in the mid to late 70s as I recall.

Nothing inherently wrong with that style, I just didn't love it then and had no choice but to wear it...
I was gonna post the same thing about the wrist bands too! I remember those pretty well - at least in '77 - although I was 5 & in Kindergarten, I remember very well our Kindergarten teachers Asst.'s son came by one day to see his mom for whatever reason he came in the class & I remember well, Mrs. Hoilman introducing him to the class......Lol, for whatever reason I remember that big wide leather belt with double holes and big wide leather wrist band that looked just like the belt.....man, ....I thought to my little self, "hot dam"! Or more likely, "wow" - I gotta have my little self one of them big leather wristbands with double holes!! ......FYI, it never happened 😔
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

awa54 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:13 am

I actually appreciate your input and learning about the style and what era they come from. I actually want to thank you for the history lesson.
I feel the same distaste about Rustler jeans my grandmother ordered got from KMart n the early 1980's. The hip kids wore Guess and Levis. I was stuck with the $5 Rustlers.
Growing up in West Virginia. The only thing about belts I remember was leather with huge buckles with marlboro, Jack Daniels, or Red Man tobacco logos.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:54 am
I thought to my little self, "hot dam"! Or more likely, "wow" - I gotta have my little self one of them big leather wristbands with double holes!! ......FYI, it never happened 😔

Haha! Nowadays, the leather is the underwear, the wristband is a tattoo, and the double holes are in the nose and tongue.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Halfneck wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:56 pm

https://bisondesigns.com

I wear it at work, with shorts during the summer, and on hiking trips.

Thanks for the reminder about Bison. I've had one of theirs for a while... a nice looking lightweight that I use for hiking. After seeing your post, I checked their web site and found they were having a sale. I got two belts for me, at eight bucks each, and two collars for the dogs, for six bucks. Smokin' deal.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:37 am
MacLaren wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:54 am
I thought to my little self, "hot dam"! Or more likely, "wow" - I gotta have my little self one of them big leather wristbands with double holes!! ......FYI, it never happened 😔

Haha! Nowadays, the leather is the underwear, the wristband is a tattoo, and the double holes are in the nose and tongue.
I know, right! 😆
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

I love Grip6. They do the most creative things. This time they figured out how to put a glow-in-the-dark backing behind their buckles... Spooky!
- Richard
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

No limp noodles here fellas! :winking-tongue
Ranger Belts! Less than $100 😎
Last edited by MacLaren on Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I really don't worry about belts much these days.

When I used to do a lot of shooting I needed a heavy duty one to hold the handguns or just use one of my military web utility belts.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Yeah man, nothing worse than carrying a revolver or 45 auto and that holster goes to saggin....
That Ranger Belts like a duty belt. I love it.
Never hardly use it but, it's nice when I do.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:49 pm
Yeah man, nothing worse than carrying a revolver or 45 auto and that holster goes to saggin....
That Ranger Belts like a duty belt. I love it.
Never hardly use it but, it's nice when I do.

Normally carried a N frame Smith & Wesson, Model 57 or 29.

Or a Colt 45 ACP or Python.

So yeah heavier guns.
benben

Post by benben »

Had an old original Beltman belt from when they were made in Apex, NC, awesome belt! Left it on my bed after work one afternoon and my sweet German Wirehaired Pointer decided she like the taste of it and chewed two or three inches off the end of it. She just turned ten, it’s the only thing I think she’s ever chewed up…

Decided to order another Beltman, guess the business was sold and moved to Alabama, ordered two, a black one and a tan one, both were super nice when they arrived, and the price was decent. That first original one was close to ten years old and still stiff, the two new ones got floppy really quickly, definitely not the same belts as the original!

Been wearing a Kore nylon ratcheting belt for the past six months, game changer, haven’t worn either of my leather Beltman belts once since buying my Kore belt! Think I paid $55 for the Kore.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Yoder belts are great, especially for the price
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:41 am
Yoder belts are great, especially for the price
Hey, GB. Is this the right company?
https://www.yoderleather.com/collections/work-belts

They look nice. My dad used to have a belt with the stitched figure eight design. Which belts do you recommend? What do you like about the belts? What do you like about the company?

Have a great weekend,
- Richard
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I got one of the stitched water buffalo belts. Nice thick and sturdy leather, good stitching, less expensive than some others. USA/Amish made. They use some interesting leathers too.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I tend to like the more light weight materials especially in the hot summertime. I wear cargo shorts much of the summer when I'm working and leather and sweat don't seem to go well together.

I'm wondering which companies focus on lightweight materials like Nylon, Kydex, canvas or any other material that can be washed after a really hot sweaty day of work.

I can't remember which issue it was but OFF GRID magazine a few year back had an article on men's belts for a wide range of uses. Leather looks great no argument there but it's sure not meant for harsh conditions it doesn't seem.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Hi, wondering if any others are using Rubber belts?
I have a 1 inch wide one converted from a Rifle sling.
A 2 1/2 inch bought as a Free diving weight belt.

Both work great as knives and other tools stay where placed on belt when worn so don't slide around on waist
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:24 pm
I bought my 100 year wallet from Saddleback Leather Co. I absolutely love it. If I ever think I want to change away from my ratcheting belt by Mission Belts I would probably give one of theirs a try. https://saddlebackleather.com/leather-belt-old
I just got one of their wallets and was looking at belts. I’m currently wearing a cheap Carhartt belt most days, and feel it’s not long for this world.

I think it’ll be from Saddleback. I do like the Hanks belts too, though. Definitely want something I won’t have to worry about for a good long while.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.