Noob Wet Shave El Cheapo Starting Outfit.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Noob Wet Shave El Cheapo Starting Outfit.

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

OK, I already know you get what you pay for. Gotcha. I just wanted to post this for us on a budget or starting out. My shaving set Would have ran me a total of $30. But am did not have to pay for the shave soap. So I think I did pretty good. I did this as a way to see the bare bone minimum to invest in wet shaving. My total with discounts and freebies ran around $24.
1. 50 Gillette silver blades for $8 on Amazon.
2. Cheap glass dish sitting in the kitchen for free. (Was considering cutting a 16 ounce water bottle to make a cheapo soap bowl)
3. Thick mascara brush from the chick section of the local Target store for $3 to use as a soap brush for time being. (Yes it works) Their only soap brush in stock ran over $45.
4. Free bar of shaving soap. (Can run $5 to $9)
5.King C Gillette safety Razor. Found on Amazon for $13 after 35% off subscribe and save with a $5 off Amazon coupon to top it off.
So for anyone on a budget I feel like $24 to $30 is well worth the price and roughly the price of 4 to 8 cartridges depending. I hope some of my ideas help out.
ChrisinHove

Re: Noob Wet Shave El Cheapo Starting Outfit.

Post by ChrisinHove »

Good call sticking with the branded razor, I think.

I bought a knock-off Merkur travel set off fleabay and it was junk.

A couple of Januarys ago I picked up my Edwin Jagger de89, blades and a tube of brushless soap for £24 / $30 as a discounted Xmas set. Although very good, it still turned out to be a gateway into a more costly pleasure, but one I haven’t regretted in the slightest.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The DE89 is a superb shaver. You got a great price on it. Walmart wants $45+ nowadays. I guess it is the current problems causing such price increases.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:38 am
The DE89 is a superb shaver. You got a great price on it. Walmart wants $45+ nowadays. I guess it is the current problems causing such price increases.
Yeah these current problems suck. Freaking $5 to $8 for a dozen eggs. Thrift stores selling
used worn clothing for 3 to 5 times the price of buying it new in a store and becoming more expensive than Macy's.
There is just a few reasons I took up wet shaving and invested my start up kit as cheap as possible.
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:39 am
Good call sticking with the branded razor, I think.

I bought a knock-off Merkur travel set off fleabay and it was junk.

A couple of Januarys ago I picked up my Edwin Jagger de89, blades and a tube of brushless soap for £24 / $30 as a discounted Xmas set. Although very good, it still turned out to be a gateway into a more costly pleasure, but one I haven’t regretted in the slightest.
I honestly did not want to give up cartridge shaving. But it's getting too expensive entirely. I have seen decent brands of cartridges go for $24 to $90 depending on being a 4 pack or 12 pack. And how many blades shoved into it. I hate anything with more than 2 blades. Irritates my skin. And once hair gets in them. They shave bad and cause cuts and irritation from the non removable hair caught in the cartridges. And they dull on my one or 2 uses tops. The money I will save from cartridges will go toward paying of my credit card debt and small savings.