What Are ya Dipping?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Foehammer

What Are ya Dipping?

Post by Foehammer »

I know I’m not the only one who likes to pack a fat lip. Currently trying Copenhagen Southern Blend for the first time. I like it better than straight. Just wish it was long cut.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
twinboysdad

Re: What Are ya Dipping?

Post by twinboysdad »

Took me forever to quit. Has been close to 20 years. Cope fine cut was my jam. Disgusting habit and if I were to go back it would be Snus. I used Nicoret gum to quit and if you ever go down that road, you can chew each piece twice. It’s expensive so double “dipping” the gum helps. Smoking is grosser for the record
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

twinboysdad wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:48 pm
Took me forever to quit. Has been close to 20 years. Cope fine cut was my jam. Disgusting habit and if I were to go back it would be Snus. I used Nicoret gum to quit and if you ever go down that road, you can chew each piece twice. It’s expensive so double “dipping” the gum helps. Smoking is grosser for the record
The funny thing is I don’t feel addicted. Just went off the stuff for 3 weeks, because I could. It’s nice to be back at it for sure, but if I ever needed to quit I’m sure I could manage.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I dipped, smoked non filtered, filtered and cigars for around 10+ years, probably 15 but I prefer not to count. I don't miss it and have vaped since 09/15/2015. I think the vaping is the least destructive to my health. I am addicted to nicotine. I've quit all of these things dozens of times, sometimes for years, but always went back. So far, if you vape nicotine there are no drawbacks as far as anyone knows. The science is clear about it, there is little to no harm.

When I worked in concrete is when I started dipping. It was so hot you needed moisture in your mouth, so I fell into it. You would be swinging a sledge hammer or a pick-axe for 5 to 6 hours a day and you would be dying for a drink, so you would do anything. You cannot take a break every 5 minutes for a smoke or water and you did not want your belly sloshing, so you dipped.

I started with Copenhagen, but one of the guys was wise and set me straight with a molasses plug. A lot more moisture and not as aggressive on the gum-line. Nonetheless, my gums did recede so I quit.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Brookso

Post by Brookso »

Foehammer wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:24 pm
twinboysdad wrote:
The funny thing is I don’t feel addicted. Just went off the stuff for 3 weeks, because I could. It’s nice to be back at it for sure, but if I ever needed to quit I’m sure I could manage.
Lucky you, took me long time to quit those! And it wasn't pretty, felt really sick for few weeks.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Brookso wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:31 am
Foehammer wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:
Lucky you, took me long time to quit those! And it wasn't pretty, felt really sick for few weeks.
Tobacco is a terrible mistress.

The only drug I can say I've ever been addicted to was tobacco. That is why I vape. Tobacco left an imprint on my brain and I'm just weak enough for it to be resonant in my brain for years after quitting to make me pick it up again to get nicotine. But I still miss smoking too!!! I simply cannot NOT quit nicotine though. The act of smoking has not gotten me back to lighting up. I took the easy way out and conceded that I'd use the least dangerous form of nicotine, vaping.

I think when they tell me I have a month left to live, I'll buy 30 fine cigars and have at it.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Brookso

Post by Brookso »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:53 pm
Brookso wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:31 am
Foehammer wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:
Tobacco is a terrible mistress.

The only drug I can say I've ever been addicted to was tobacco. That is why I vape. Tobacco left an imprint on my brain and I'm just weak enough for it to be resonant in my brain for years after quitting to make me pick it up again to get nicotine. But I still miss smoking too!!! I simply cannot NOT quit nicotine though. The act of smoking has not gotten me back to lighting up. I took the easy way out and conceded that I'd use the least dangerous form of nicotine, vaping.

I think when they tell me I have a month left to live, I'll buy 30 fine cigars and have at it.
I've quit tobacco like 4 years ago, but coffee won over me. Can't skip even a single day of coffeine, otherwise my head feels like exploding and I'm grumpy entire time :D
Also been enjoying running lately(local store https://rununited.com/ holds some amateur half marathons here n there and stuff, so I started participating). Breathing got much better compared to 4y ago, but still rough
Last edited by Brookso on Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

You can’t buy dip in Oz and that’s probably a good thing.

About 15 years ago a mate of mine organised for a fella named Craig Hamilton to come over from the US and run a series of Horsemanship Clinics which I attended. Craig is a several times World Champion Roper and an exceptional and highly talented horseman and he and I hit it off. I don’t think he’d ever met a cheeky little Aussie who laughed and gigged him like I did. Ah, hahaha!

Anyhow, he and the other fella (can’t remember his name) he came over with both dipped and after initially laughing and gigging them over all the spitting I figured I should give it a go.

At first I had trouble keeping it in wad in one spot in my gob and after only a couple of minutes it was everywhere and it was their turn to laugh. Ah, hahaha!

Craig and the other fella stayed with us the entire long weekend and I finally got the hang of keeping it in all together and the rest is history.

The only problem was actually getting it. Around the same time a mate of mine from the Naval Base I worked on went to the US for an advanced Gas Turbine Coarse and sent me over a heap which I kept in vacuum sealed bags in the freezer.

We used to have US Naval vessels come the the Base fairly regularly too and I’d get the sailors to buy if for me. A mate used to send me some from Canada too. As it went I dipped for about 5 years odd I s’pose.

Beloved wife absolutely hated it and the kids and most of my mates thought I was odd. I just laugh and spat some more. Ah, hahaha!

One day I thought I was going to die. I was at work sucking Copenhagen Original long cut, my favourite, and spitting into an empty Lucozade bottle I’d near filled. A bit later I opened a new bottle of Lucozade had a swig and screwed the lid back on. Now I had two identical bottles on my desk and you can guess what happened. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha!

I’m laughimg now but not so much after taking a big swig of stale tobacco juice and spit. I spewed in a waste paper basket and dry retched for about an hour.

The last lot I had was a couple of years ago from a mate who bought back a couple of tins of this after a trip to the US.

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:19 pm
The science is clear about it, there is little to no harm.
Sorry but you're kidding yourself if you believe that. That's what they said about cigarettes too years ago

I started with chewing tobacco when I was in high school. Went to cigarettes in college. Smoked a pack a day for probably 35 years then quit for a few years. Started nicotine again by vaping. You can't tell me it doesn't effect your heart rate and blood pressure. I can tell you for a fact it did mine. Not mention putting a foreign substance in your lungs. I was having weird headaches, shortness of breath, my appetite sucked, etc etc. I finally quit vaping a couple years ago. It was the hardest time I've ever had quitting a nicotine substance. I always used juice with fairly low nicotine content and I slowly stepped it down. Even after I stopped using the lowest nicotine content available I was having major withdrawals. I still crave it sometimes but there's no way I'll go back because I don't want to ever go through something like that again
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Nicolette gum is the least egregious nicotine delivery platform IMO.
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

I don’t dip any longer, did at one time. Scroll Bandit's.

Long time vice is good Cigars from Cuba, Dominican Republic, Honduras, and of course Nicaragua.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:02 pm
Naperville wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:19 pm
The science is clear about it, there is little to no harm.
Sorry but you're kidding yourself if you believe that. That's what they said about cigarettes too years ago

I started with chewing tobacco when I was in high school. Went to cigarettes in college. Smoked a pack a day for probably 35 years then quit for a few years. Started nicotine again by vaping. You can't tell me it doesn't effect your heart rate and blood pressure. I can tell you for a fact it did mine. Not mention putting a foreign substance in your lungs. I was having weird headaches, shortness of breath, my appetite sucked, etc etc. I finally quit vaping a couple years ago. It was the hardest time I've ever had quitting a nicotine substance. I always used juice with fairly low nicotine content and I slowly stepped it down. Even after I stopped using the lowest nicotine content available I was having major withdrawals. I still crave it sometimes but there's no way I'll go back because I don't want to ever go through something like that again
I do worry about it and sometimes I make my own vape juice. I have 2 gallons of 100mg/ml raw nicotine bottled in amber glass sealed with argon gas and stored in 2 freezers located 35 miles apart so that it will keep for decades.

I don't have 100 years of evidence that vaping is safe, so you have me there, but the only thing in vape juice is nicotine, vegetable glycerine, and polypropylene glycol.

Nicotine is a natural substance in some vegetables. Nicotine is in potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants, and sweet peppers, all food plants and ALL members of the large family Solanaceae.

Vegetable glycerine and propylene glycol are ingredients in some foods, medicines and makeup.

GOOGLE SAYS: Vegetable glycerin is a clear, odorless and sweet-tasting liquid derived from vegetable fats. It is added to food, cosmetics and pharmaceuticals and may offer health benefits, such as moisturized and resilient skin, relief from constipation, improved hydration and better physical performance.

GOOGLE SAYS: Propylene glycol is used to absorb extra water and maintain moisture in certain medicines, cosmetics, or food products. It is a solvent for food colors and flavors, and in the paint and plastics industries. Propylene glycol is also used to create artificial smoke or fog used in fire-fighting training and in theatrical productions.

Too much of any product can kill you. I try to be careful!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Brookso wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:04 am
I've quit tobacco like 4 years ago, but coffee won over me. Can't skip even a single day of coffeine, otherwise my head feels like exploding and I'm grumpy entire time :D
Yea, I like caffeine too. I usually have a coffee a day, and 5+ cups of tea. I'm not grumpy when I don't have it, but it certainly brightens my day.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:36 pm
Nicolette gum is the least egregious nicotine delivery platform IMO.

In my pocket, desk at home, desk at work, vehicle, fishing bag, … :woozy
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Cope Mint, one of my faves. Put it in the freezer and let it get semi-frozen...maaan is it good on hot days.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Stokers Mint long cut. Juicy and the flavour lasts forever.

When I created this thread I figured more folks would be dipping, especially the folks down south.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

I quit about 4 years ago after almost developing mouth cancer. Been chewing motor eggs to this day.
Dipping is extremely addictive and one habit I regret taking up as a kid. Neck my grandparents are the reason I started it. They would buy me Red Man tobacco then upgrade me to SKOAL.
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

JoshLikesSekiCityKnives wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:30 am
I quit about 4 years ago after almost developing mouth cancer. Been chewing motor eggs to this day.
Dipping is extremely addictive and one habit I regret taking up as a kid. Neck my grandparents are the reason I started it. They would buy me Red Man tobacco then upgrade me to SKOAL.
Due to school I only dip 1-2 times a day now. I’ve cut back a lot; looking back on the summer I can safely say I was addicted to the stuff. I sometimes even go days without it.

It seems some people are susceptible to mouth cancer and others never get it. I think oral hygiene is important, not only with regard to tobacco but sugary foods and drinks.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I've had this monkey off my back for close to 20 years now and I'd love to have the ~$30,000 or so back I spent on it plus all the dentist visits. I quit cold turkey and it haunted me for years. Certain smells would quicken back to me and I'd reach for my shirt pocket or just think Copenhagen.

I started quite young(probably 12 or so)when in Scouts and playing baseball. Those two seemed to go hand in hand. I regret ever putting it in my mouth.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Stokers wintergreen. Not really the biggest wintergreen fan after buddy and I got rather lit and I dipped some cope wintergreen ages ago, but it’s pretty good.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045