What "Other" is in your pocket???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

Re: What "Other" is in your pocket???

Post by vivi »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:06 am
Ha! We've been doing the same thing Vivi!
I just got thru with a 7 & 1/2 pound filet yesterday evening with the Muteki Slicer (Hitachi White Steel)
This little sclier has been great! A joy to use.
I don't think she's as hardly as smooth as my Tojiro DP (VG10) sharpened by Jason Bosman. I can't wait to let Jason get a hold of this Muteki!
That looks like a really comfortable slicer to use!

I'm planning to buy a sujihiki next, but for now I've been using my 150mm petty for finesse trimming and my 10" gyuto for cuts. Gets the job done, but something slimmer would be nice, especially for working with fish.

Not sure if I want to get the model that matches my gyuto or go for something different. That gyuto pictured above has quickly become my favorite knife to use...
:unicorn
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:32 am
MacLaren wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:06 am
Ha! We've been doing the same thing Vivi!
I just got thru with a 7 & 1/2 pound filet yesterday evening with the Muteki Slicer (Hitachi White Steel)
This little sclier has been great! A joy to use.
I don't think she's as hardly as smooth as my Tojiro DP (VG10) sharpened by Jason Bosman. I can't wait to let Jason get a hold of this Muteki!
That looks like a really comfortable slicer to use!

I'm planning to buy a sujihiki next, but for now I've been using my 150mm petty for finesse trimming and my 10" gyuto for cuts. Gets the job done, but something slimmer would be nice, especially for working with fish.

Not sure if I want to get the model that matches my gyuto or go for something different. That gyuto pictured above has quickly become my favorite knife to use...
Awesome!
I meant to tell you, those are some beautiful knives you got there. I'll bet the farm thier lasers too 😎
Ya know someone told me a long time ago, spend your money, where you spend your time.
And, l like you, spend a lot in the kitchen and just really enjoy using a good kitchen knife.
Look forward to your posts Vivi!
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:26 am
aicolainen wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:45 am
Looks very nice, Vivi!

I'm also at a point where investing in more EDC and outdoor knives doesn't really buy me any noticeable gain in performance, so I've been thinking about improving my kitchen knives.
I don't really know where to start though. I'm not interested in kitchen knives in the same way I am with EDC and outdoor knives, so it feels like stepping into a big, scary, unknown universe :)

Come to think of it, I have one knife I like to use for a wide range of cutting. It's a really cheap one and I think its a cheese knife that came with one of those gift kits. Now, the reason I mention this, is that I've though many times while using it, how nice it would have been to have a similarly built good quality knife. And also without the holes, which I assume is there to avoid cheese sticking to the knife blade.

I'll take a picture of it, maybe someone here knows of a better knife that can be used in a similar fashion.
The nice thing about kitchen knives is you can get some very high performance knives for very cheap.

Kiwi makes a range of knives that sell for $5-10 shipped. I bought their paring knife, nakiri style knife, and ~7" "chef knife." They take screaming sharp edges easily and ship with really nice geometry. Soft stainless steel so expect frequent touch-ups and edge stability in general is pretty low. But you could easily maintain one of their knives by giving it a few swipes on a sharpmaker with fine rods every week, they sharpen so fast and easy.

Kom Kom knives come out of the same factory I believe. They're another thai brand with wood handles and stainless blades with performance just like Kiwi.

Victorinox has all sorts of good, cheap options. I like their wharncliffe paring knife for opening packages of vac sealed food etc., and their modern paring knife for general use. I used their 10" chef knife professionally for a decade before I upgraded to japanese knives.

Old hickory knives have gone downhill a lot in my lifetime, but you can still buy pretty much any of their patterns for under $20 if you want a cheap carbon knife to mess around with. Their geometry is atrocious so expect to reprofile before use.

Tramontina out of Brazil makes a range of cheap kitchen knives with good performance for the price point. I have a boning knife and santoku from them with white plastic handles that ran about $10 each.

The knife I personally recommend people start with when wanting to dip their toes into higher quality cutlery without spending a lot is a $40 VG10 Santoku from Tojiro of Japan. https://japan-knifeshop.com/products/to ... 70mm-f-311 I have used mine extensively and have gifted many of them. Killer geometry, great ergos, stainless steel and a modest size mean anyone can pick it up and feel comfortable right away.
Thank you for the lengthy and thorough reply.
Tojiro seems to be obtainable even in the EU, so I'm tempted to give it a try. The F311 was currently OOS at Lamnia, but I'll put it on my watch list.

I've considered Old Hickory as a beater outdoor/camp type chefs knife, but even for that use I'm not totally convinced. For regular kitchen use I'm afraid I'm not very tempted at all :)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Dunno why a Santoku hasn't appealed enough for me to buy one. Guess I'm a creature of habits acquired in my youth. Grew up using chefs knives and Chinese cleavers in the kitchen. I guess the Santoku sorta looks like a Chinese knife and a chef's knife had a baby. Maybe that's the appeal.
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Apparently it’s Bond day. 60 years since the world premiere of Dr. No

In tribute
LM SideClip… I googled “James Bond knife”, and the internet returned a Gerber automatic. Can’t have that, so I picked a non-locking, UK legal Leatherman that’s not entirely unlikely to share a gene or two with the current Bond.
I also don’t have any Omega Seamasters or Rolex Submariners laying around. I have a watch from a UK watch brand though (my one and only), which isn’t half bad.
And ofc, my good ol’ PPK. Just as ofc; range carry only for this one, cause such are the rules in Nannystateistan.

Oh, almost forgot. My Bentley wouldn’t fit in the frame. So unfortunately I can’t show it to you
Makunochimaster

Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

So I was on the hunt for a Hinderer, and quickly realized that pretty much no vendors have those in stock. This ZT0562CF was the next best thing, and it's pretty darn awesome. Haven't had any ZTs in a while, it's nice to flip this thing all day.
Makunochimaster

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I love how this knife keeps increasing in value these days.

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Makunochimaster

Netherend

Post by Netherend »

I just picked up a Falkniven F1 Wolf that I am carrying
E41D03F3-AC98-462B-9E1F-2FE12006160F.jpeg
Just one more knife...
Makunochimaster

abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Netherend wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:30 pm
I just picked up a Falkniven F1 Wolf that I am carrying E41D03F3-AC98-462B-9E1F-2FE12006160F.jpeg
One of my all time camp favorites, but I didn't know about this version. Curious to hear impressions of the new steel.
Makunochimaster

mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

The slippery and uncluttered Protech Malibu.
malibu 05.jpg
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

mikey177 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:30 pm
The slippery and uncluttered Protech Malibu.malibu 05.jpg
They'd be so, so perfect with just a little bit more texture to the scales.. even if it were just like a minimal Benchmade 940 type finish on the aluminum. I've never actually dropped mine or anything, but it's always a thought in the back of my head..

Regardless, great knife! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

^ It is indeed a great knife. The latest version has a checkered textured. Unfortunately, they are still very hard to come by.
Makunochimaster

abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »