The price of knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Roefisher

The price of knives

Post by Roefisher »

Hello all.

This feels like the elephant in the room but don't mention it kind of thing to me.

First off, I'm not hitting at any company or product but I feel that things have gone so far off the scale recently that it surely must be a concern to everyone except the wealthy?

The price of goods, including knives has now reached a scale where I'm out. To tell you the truth, I was waiting in the sidelines for a UK based Chris Reeve knife to come along and now that it has, I am so peeved that I decided to write this thread. I was looking at a Sebenza and it came available... at well over £500. Over £500 for a plain Sebenza! Now, I swore back in whatever the date, that I'd never buy a CRK with that awful "Made In Idaho" tax avoidance bollocks, but the price (greed) of previously made second-hand CRK knives forced my hand to try after one of these newer ones.

But I'm not going to pay over £500 for any CRK, never mind a plain one. And, back on topic, Spyderco knives have also crept up to a point where I just can't afford them. I thought a good knife at around £200 was alright but that's long gone. The UK shops are taking the slash with their profiteering and I am more than mad about the whole thing. In all fairness, it's not really Spyderco's fault either, it's the shop pricing that's bordering on a joke - or well past being funny.

I guess I'm just really down about the way things are going. Thank God or the devil in **** that I'm on life's home straight but, for the time being, this is still a mill-stone to carry.
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
JRinFL

Re: The price of knives

Post by JRinFL »

I’m not going to go too deep here for a list of reasons, many of which you can guess. I will say that I have a few short years where I can continue this hobby, at least in the acquiring phase. But at the rate prices are increasing, that few years will likely turn to months.

At the end of the day, a knife is a very simple tool that is now approaching (and exceeding in some case) the cost of highly complex and sophisticated electronic gear. Even firearms are more intricate and complex mechanisms, but many cost less. I firmly believe the collectible cutlery market has gone insane.*

I’m US based, so I am not hurting anywhere near as bad as our overseas friends.

*Industry apologists will be along shortly to set us straight and explain why we should pay so much for so little.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’ve had to put myself on an indefinite hiatus from acquiring any more knives for almost the past year. I did the same thing several years ago, which lasted for years. Even when I do buy, I don’t go crazy like many knife afis do.

It’s mainly for financial reasons at the moment. But it’s also because I’ve been into knives most of my life, though I’ve always gone long periods without buying any. That endorphin-stimulating rush of getting another new knife wore off for me a long time ago. I find that without the constant “need” or impulse to acquire more knives, I’m enjoying the knives I already have a lot more. The last thing I need is for a hobby of mine to become a source of stress in itself. AND I’ve been rediscovering some of my knives that I have, but initially lost interest in, or failed to appreciate. When I pull such knives out and ‘rediscover’ them again and give them another chance, it’s like acquiring a new knife without having to buy another one.

If I never buy another new knife I won’t be upset about it, because, although I probably own fewer knives than many members here, I already have way more knives than I’ll ever need. Maybe someday I’ll acquire a few more, and it’s fun to say, “I’d like to have or see this-and-that,” but I’m very picky, and for now I’m good. But I fully understand being upset at the rising prices. And the amount in each price jump has gotten ridiculous in the past few years.

Jim
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Times are definitely getting tougher, and things getting more expensive. We're currently saving for a new back deck, fence and driveway. I've sold a few knives over the past few months, and the REC Manix will likely be my last purchase for a very long time, unless I get a chance at that 15V Manix.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I’m pretty much done with buying knives. I bought way too many over the years. I had a blast along the way. Look forward to seeing what new knives come out but just won’t be buying them.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

If I buy anything it'll be kitchen knives.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'm absolutely stone cold B.R.O.K.E. but still in the knife market buying and now for the 1st time selling knives. A person has to live and they have to decide what they need vs wants.

I'm selling knives to buy new knives that are just now coming out, and to pay for prepper goods. I like Spyderco knives so I'm hoping to keep buying. Waiting for a Cold Steel Espada XL to arrive.

Prepper Goods?
- more martial art knife, escrima, judo training DVDs
- 4 packs of Thyrosafe
- 5 cases of water every month on a recurring basis for preps
- 1 or 2 cords of wood for the coming Winter in case nat gas is cut off or skyrockets
- 4 pair of long underwear(top and bottoms) for myself and another family member in case nat gas costs skyrocket
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

The curve of diminishing returns is well established as it pertains to the price of an individual knife.
What isn’t mentioned as often is how that curve basically plummets when you go on to buy additional knives. No matter the price point.

This is just simple facts, so when prices go up across the board, and especially for the stuff we can’t do without, like food and energy, and you’re already struggling to make ends meet, ANOTHER knife becomes one of the hardest investments to justify.

I’d be careful to point fingers though. Not that obvious and proven price budging hasn’t happened, but keeping the lights on and making predictions for the future (near and far) has become an ever increasing struggle also for businesses. The price of energy and access to the raw materials that drives our economy is simply keeping most business owners awake at night these days.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

As i am from Belgium i know very well what you are talking about.
Prices have skyrocketed but is has nothing to do with the energy crisis or covid it is just the way business works. Every year the companies need to make a profit and that profit should be bigger then the year before if not they say they made “losses”. Now i love spyderco and they are my only interest in the knifeworld so i can only use them as an example.
But if you look at Spyderco’s situation the Spydies have bin going more expensive long before covid!
As example when the delica 4 came out i paid 58 euro for it.
Few years later but before covid in still good times it increased to 98 euro and now its 104 euro.
So saying its covids or the energy crisis its fault is way off sure it does not help but its not the root of the problem. Its just the entire industry’s way of doing business that is going wild if you then also look at how corrupt countries are and how much money is sticking in the customs business ,
then its not so remarkable that we are paying crazy much for a knife.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I also feel that Spyderco is no longer available for me. How is it possible that an FRN VG10 knife cost 1/2 of the price of say a new Glock 17? Don't tell me because the steel Spyderco uses is so expensive of the FRN. The steel is laser cut and the FRN is plastic forced in a mold. It's not that it needs a long intricate machining. So i have not bought a new Spyderco in months and with these prices my 70 or 80 other Spyderco's will suffice for the near future. Sad but true. I can no longer explain the purchase of a new Spyderco to my family, or to myself.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Just to put it in perspective. A handmade custom ground Pikal knife by Dirk Pinkerton with micarta handles and in CPM154 with a custom sheath 230€.....the new SPYDERCO LIL TEMPERANCE 3 375€.... How ridicoulus is that? https://www.carabinasypistolas.com/nl/s ... zakmes.php
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Jim Malone wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:41 am
Just to put it in perspective. A handmade custom ground Pikal knife by Dirk Pinkerton with micarta handles and in CPM154 with a custom sheath 230€.....the new SPYDERCO LIL TEMPERANCE 3 375€.... How ridicoulus is that? https://www.carabinasypistolas.com/nl/s ... zakmes.php
Yes its ridiculous that price for so little knife compared to golden designs.
And i will bet you the new frn version will be not much cheaper maybe 275 euro is my most positive guess.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Every generation has had this conversation, probably as far back as trade has existed. I can't remember how many times my grandfather told me stories about the price of gas and the cost of a cheeseburger. The "back in my day" realization comes around for every generation.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Im not buying a CRK at $500 and Im not buying Spydercos for that.

Some pay $10 for a cup of coffee everyday and some pay a $1.00 at McDonalds.

Spyderco is raising prices too much and will probably push them out of bussiness. The normal knife guy is having costs raised from mortgages, rent, grocery, gas, you name it.

And if a customer has a complaint, I see the answer is "how does it cut" not a very good response to me

I have a PM2 Micarta/Cruwear that I love. But the exsposed liners never were sanded, nothing like the polished liners on my Kapara.

Spyderco seems to be raising the price and quality is going down hill.

That will kill them.

Just my thoughts.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I'm just glad that I was around to aquire all the Spydies I wanted while collaborations were prominent, and all good designs and exclusives were had between $120 & $210...
So it goes.
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Buy quality it will last, buying junk off Amazon, Wal-Mart, or Harbor Freight is just dumb.

Need a tool for infrequent, or short term use, Harbor Fright Is ok.

Maybe if people got the cost of doing business, and staying in business they might get it.

Rent, mortgage, insurance, permits, licenses, utilities, cost of raw material, machines, good people to work got you don’t get paid in peanuts.

Wonder what it cost Spyderco a year for just PRODUCT LIABILITY POLICY?

Because if some knucklehead hurt defy being dumb with a Spyderco product, it not knuckleheads fault.

Owning business is all on owner, who gets paid last.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

It's not the knives, it's your currency.

Take a $250 Spyderco knife, divide by 10, it's a $25 knife.

If you drop money from helicopters, you get inflation.
Milton Friedman, 1969.

Printing up 5-10 trillion dollars has consequences.
benben

Post by benben »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:30 pm
I’m with you on this, there’s a forum member on Glocktalk I’m thinking about letting him make me a kitchen knife out of 80crv2 and desert ironwood.

My last purchase was the Ayoob sprint, I almost feel I bought it out of obligation after two years of posts, 130+ pages, and tons of anticipation, of course I know that’s not true. Is it worth $210.00, guess that’s up to who’s buying it? It’s a fantastic knife but it’s more than I wanted to pay…but I’m glad I got one!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

benben wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:52 pm
MacLaren wrote:
I’m with you on this, there’s a forum member on Glocktalk I’m thinking about letting him make me a kitchen knife out of 80crv2 and desert ironwood.

My last purchase was the Ayoob sprint, I almost feel I bought it out of obligation after two years of posts, 130+ pages, and tons of anticipation, of course I know that’s not true. Is it worth $210.00, guess that’s up to who’s buying it? It’s a fantastic knife but it’s more than I wanted to pay…but I’m glad I got one!
Nice. I hear ya benebn.
Of course, I as you, trust Spyderco. So, whatever they charge, it is what it is.
But, I really wanna get one if those Spyderco Murray Carter Super Blue Blades
benben

Post by benben »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:02 pm
benben wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:52 pm
MacLaren wrote:

Nice. I hear ya benebn.
Of course, I as you, trust Spyderco. So, whatever they charge, it is what it is.
But, I really wanna get one if those Spyderco Murray Carter Super Blue Blades
I handled 5 or 6 different ones at SMKW, they’re so super nice, almost walked out with a Santoku…