Best G-Shock platform?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: Best G-Shock platform?

Post by MacLaren »

max808 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:44 am
MacLaren wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:46 am
You make a great point, Max.
& I said it as well, it's just really hard to go wrong with any G-Shock.
I also hear ya on stainless steel. I really miss my Pathfinder. It was an ABC that also had the moon & tide graphs. I wound up giving it to my little brother.
Thanks MacLaren, happy to oblige. If that Pathfinder were a G-Shock it would be perfekt for me and I'm pretty sure your lil bro was over the moon with it. I intentionally limit myself to collecting only G-Shock, if not I would probably end up with several Duro, Oceanus and Lineage cuz the Kashio rabbithole runs deep son.
I hear ya man, (& thank you!)I meant to mention it wasn't a G-Shock.
Anyways, the one I've always wanted was the Maharishi MudMaster Special Edition - but good gracious they are $$$$ - & get snatched up so quickly by collectors. And when they do hit the 2ndary market, they are just unaffordable- by me anyways.. so yeah, even the just the G-Shock Rabbit Hole is miles and miles long, lol
Man, I love this Maharishi though......
juggler

Post by juggler »

bobnikon wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:02 am
I tried this one. I loved everything about it, so many features ... except I couldn't see the numbers unless the light was perfect. Old eyes not picking up the contrast as well as they used to. All these tacticool watches are lost on me. Give me a standard positive display and I am much happier, and know what time it is.

Yes, I agree: negative displays look cool but are hard to read in most lighting situations.

Fortunately, there's another version of the GW-7900 with a positive display :winking-tongue
Attachments
positive.jpg
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

juggler wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:37 pm
bobnikon wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:02 am
I tried this one. I loved everything about it, so many features ... except I couldn't see the numbers unless the light was perfect. Old eyes not picking up the contrast as well as they used to. All these tacticool watches are lost on me. Give me a standard positive display and I am much happier, and know what time it is.

Yes, I agree: negative displays look cool but are hard to read in most lighting situations.

Fortunately, there's another version of the GW-7900 with a positive display :winking-tongue
I would have liked that one, but unfortunately I fell victim to available+onsale. It resulted in a return. I will probably look at that model next time I am in the market. I decided to go a different way, as I like analogue, so I picked up one of these, for some reason, maybe the dot display (?) I can read the upper display pretty well. So far, I love the watch.
GST B200D.jpg
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

That's a very nice G-Shock Bob. Congratulations.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I was pretty much set with my G-shocks, or so I thought.
This thread has me contemplating one with tide-/moon phase graph.
My two regular squares does feel a little redundant, even though they're quite different in appearance, so I was already considering letting one go. What I didn't consider up until now, was replacing with a different one. Hahahahahaha.. forums, such a bad influence
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

😆
So, this thread got me to browsing some Casio G-Shocks as well as their Pro Trek - now I'm flooded with all types of bullchit watch adverts on FB!
These p.o.s. watches that look great but, cost $20
Lol, it's just unbelievable at all the bullchit there is out there today!!
max808

Post by max808 »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:51 am
max808 wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
I also hear ya on stainless steel. I really miss my Pathfinder. It was an ABC that also had the moon & tide graphs. I wound up giving it to my little brother.
Thanks MacLaren, happy to oblige. If that Pathfinder were a G-Shock it would be perfekt for me and I'm pretty sure your lil bro was over the moon with it. I intentionally limit myself to collecting only G-Shock, if not I would probably end up with several Duro, Oceanus and Lineage cuz the Kashio rabbithole runs deep son.
Anyways, the one I've always wanted was the Maharishi MudMaster Special Edition - but good gracious they are $$$$ - & get snatched up so quickly by collectors. And when they do hit the 2ndary market, they are just unaffordable- by me anyways.. so yeah, even the just the G-Shock Rabbit Hole is miles and miles long, lol
Yeah dude, seen the Maharishi mudmaster go for crazy money online. The color looks great, other than that I don't see why you would wanna spend double or more on a watch just cuz it's limited edition. Also in my previous post I forgot to mention their Edifice line, which offers incredible value and is said to be not much less resistant. Just glad I have enough fortitude to abide by my strictly G rule, cuz Lord knows some of those Edifices are quite tempting.
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Well I'm not up there with the maharishi money but the G-Shock came today, ordered Sunday evening and was here in the American Midwest by Wednesday afternoon- from Japan. Pretty neat. If I could post some pics I would. These watches are great.

Appreciate all the input!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

max808 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:37 am
MacLaren wrote:
max808 wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Yeah dude, seen the Maharishi mudmaster go for crazy money online. The color looks great, other than that I don't see why you would wanna spend double or more on a watch just cuz it's limited edition. Also in my previous post I forgot to mention their Edifice line, which offers incredible value and is said to be not much less resistant. Just glad I have enough fortitude to abide by my strictly G rule, cuz Lord knows some of those Edifices are quite tempting.
Tell me about man.....just crazy
But yeah, those Edifce watches are nice. I was able to snag one a few years ago. I believe it's a Red Bull Racing -.it had something to do with that anyways, it has a 1/1000th stopwatch! ⏱️
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Meadowlark wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:15 pm
Well I'm not up there with the maharishi money but the G-Shock came today, ordered Sunday evening and was here in the American Midwest by Wednesday afternoon- from Japan. Pretty neat. If I could post some pics I would. These watches are great.

Congratulations
But, why can't ya post pics?
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:35 pm
Meadowlark wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:15 pm

Congratulations
But, why can't ya post pics?

Impatience, I suppose.
max808

Post by max808 »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:35 pm
max808 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:37 am
MacLaren wrote:
max808 wrote:

Tell me about man.....just crazy
But yeah, those Edifce watches are nice. I was able to snag one a few years ago. I believe it's a Red Bull Racing -.it had something to do with that anyways, it has a 1/1000th stopwatch! ⏱️
Looks nice, crazy accurate chrono I started looking and found this infiniti red bull one that made my heart skip a beat it's so pretty.
edificeinfinitiredbull001.jpg
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Oh man, go for it, Mac!
Seriously, that's a beautiful watch!

Btw, & lol, you are very kind Mac. Actually, I think it does have a 1/1000 stopwatch...(I'm getting cornfused)
Heck, it's been years since I've worn it. I think it was a 2010 or maybe earlier model? But, it does have the 1/1000 analog chronograph.
And I think mine is a Black Label Edifice
Here's s good little write up that Ariel Adams did on it, from A Blog To Watch
https://www.ablogtowatch.com/casio-edif ... ch-review/
max808

Post by max808 »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:05 am
Oh man, go for it, Mac!

Btw, & lol, you are very kind Mac. Actually, I think it does have a 1/1000 stopwatch...(I'm getting cornfused)
Heck, it's been years since I've worn it. I think it was a 2010 or maybe earlier model? But, it does have the 1/1000 analog chronograph.
Imma have to exercise some restraint Mac cuz my wallet has been hemorrhaging all year. And yes the dial on your Black Label Edifice clearly states 1/1000 chronograph which is crazy at this price point and in a Swiss automatic would set you back thousands of dollars.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

max808 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:47 am
MacLaren wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:05 am
Oh man, go for it, Mac!

Imma have to exercise some restraint Mac cuz my wallet has been hemorrhaging all year. And yes the dial on your Black Label Edifice clearly states 1/1000 chronograph which is crazy at this price point and in a Swiss automatic would set you back thousands of dollars.
I hear ya man... I really do.
& that's awesome! The 1/1000 chrono....wow.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I feel the best bang for the buck g-shock with the most features is the rangemaster. It is around $200 for a tough solar, atomic, ABC watch. Its truly one of my favorites. I also recommend the top dog mudmaster gwg1000- truly amazing and a beast of a watch!!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:49 pm
I feel the best bang for the buck g-shock with the most features is the rangemaster. It is around $200 for a tough solar, atomic, ABC watch. Its truly one of my favorites. I also recommend the top dog mudmaster gwg1000- truly amazing and a beast of a watch!!
Yeah, that $200 version is a helluva watch for the money!
I'll swear, a man just can't go wrong with a Casio G-Shock. They're hard to beat!
max808

Post by max808 »

MacLaren wrote:
max808 wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Here's something for ya Mac, Casio just came out with a GWG-2040 to commemorate their upcoming 40th anniversary of the G-Shock brand next year. It's called fury red I think and looks even better than the Maharishi in my opinion.

Per your (enabling) assist, I dove into the Pathfinder rabbithole head first and stumbled onto this PRW-3500T, now I just can't get over the insane value proposition that is a used triple sensor titanium ProTrek... I'm gitty as a schoolgirl.
:cheap-sunglasses
prw3500t001.jpg
Thank you Mac for broadening my horizon and putting this on our radar, more than happy to oblige. Even though it is not strictly a G, it is a proud member of the most noble Kashio clan and thus no rules have been broken in acquiring this particular specimen, which was made in Thailand. As usual build quality and fit & finish are exceptional.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

max808 wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:11 pm
MacLaren wrote:
max808 wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Here's something for ya Mac, Casio just came out with a GWG-2040 to commemorate their upcoming 40th anniversary of the G-Shock brand next year. It's called fury red I think and looks even better than the Maharishi in my opinion.

Per your (enabling) assist, I dove into the Pathfinder rabbithole head first and stumbled onto this PRW-3500T, now I just can't get over the insane value proposition that is a used triple sensor titanium ProTrek... I'm gitty as a schoolgirl.
:cheap-sunglasses

prw3500t001.jpg

Thank you Mac for broadening my horizon and putting this on our radar, more than happy to oblige. Even though it is not strictly a G, it is a proud member of the most noble Kashio clan and thus no rules have been broken in acquiring this particular specimen, which was made in Thailand. As usual build quality and fit & finish are exceptional.
Congratulations!!! 🥳 🎉
Man, you will LOVE that watch!! I had my 1500 T7 for YEARS! Oh, for a red hot second I thought that was my old Pathfinder. & in ways, I really like my old Pathfinder better than my new MudMaster.
But, yeah man, you have one helluva nice watch.
Enjoy!
max808

Post by max808 »

Thanks brother, it's definitely a keeper. Crazy light at around 4 ounces but quite overbuilt and super comfortable. Similar ABC watches cost 5 times what they charged me for this gem. Good looking out Mac!