Best G-Shock platform?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Meadowlark

Best G-Shock platform?

Post by Meadowlark »

Hi, it seems a handful of you guys are into Casio G-Shocks.

I've never owned one though I've recently been looking and will probably buy one soon.

What are the newest/best models that include the following:

1. Small watch face

2. Atomic clock accuracy

3. Solar recharge

4. Tide/moon phases

5. LED backlight

Thanks!
MacLaren

Re: Best G-Shock platform?

Post by MacLaren »

I absolutely loved my Pathfinder. Had it for years
It had everything you mentioned - minus the small watch face. It wasn't big but, it wasn't small either.
I think they call it something different now.
Now a days I have a big ole Mudmaster - I like it too, but it's pretty big & it doesn't have the tide & moon phases. I miss that.
Good luck with your search. You really can't go wrong with a Casio G Shock
*edit* I will amend what I said, I really don't think my old Pathfinder had an LED backlight.
Last edited by MacLaren on Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Check out the 2100 series, the CasiOak. Might not have the tide function.
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Gwx-5600, but backlight no led
96265939_6702c049-e6e4-4b24-80e3-41613a3f5e5e_676_676.jpg
IMG_20220924_164005_181.jpg
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
Kenneth1977

Post by Kenneth1977 »

Check out the JDM market such as https://www.seiyajapan.com/
They have a lot of different styles not available here in the US and a little better tech to me.
What is your price range ?
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

IMG_20220924_132819616_HDR-01.jpeg
My favorite is the Mudman. Very user friendly with a great backlight. Price is fairly reasonable too.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Appreciate the response; the mudman looks a bit big for my use, Barry but I'm sure it's pretty useful.

I'm checking out that website now, kenneth. Thanks!

The 5600 series is what I'm leaning towards since it seems to be the smallest watchface series. Thanks mak! And Rick, I think you recently mentioned it in a separate thread.

Bdub, I looked at the 2100 series but the size is a bit large for me.

Mac it seems these watches are the Toyota Corolla of timepieces; ubiquitous and tough to kill.

I think the LED is a newer module?

I never realized the wide* world of g shock fans on the internet forums; reminds me of this place!

Anyway the 3495 module seems sufficient but I'd like that tide/moon feature, too..

Edited for autocorrect
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

https://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/ ... lti-band-6

Probably gonna wait a day or two to decide but this is where I'm leaning. Guess it can be a partial Christmas present from the kiddo - if I can wait that long..
Kenneth1977

Post by Kenneth1977 »

Meadowlark wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:59 pm

Probably gonna wait a day or two to decide but this is where I'm leaning. Guess it can be a partial Christmas present from the kiddo - if I can wait that long..
Just me but I’d get a screw back case. They are more but with it in the long run.
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Kenneth1977 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:17 pm
Meadowlark wrote:

Just me but I’d get a screw back case. They are more but with it in the long run.
Maybe I'm mistaken but those photos show this model with a screwed in stainless back, no?
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I was on a similar quest myself a few years back. It never materialized though. I think in the end it was because I had to compromise too much on my other preferences to get the tide feature.

With regards to LED backlight, I might be behind the curve here, but historically LED light used to be Casio’s “cheap” light on demand feature and the E.L. (Electro luminescence) was the top of the pops, with a soft evenly distributed backlight.
Maybe something new has come along that I’m unaware of, but either way I don’t believe you’d be disappointed with an E.L. G-shock. All of my 3 G-shocks are E.L. for a reason.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

O.P. you could also consider some of the Casio Pro Trek watches too. They are very, very, nice.
That being said, if I were you, I would really up my budget all I could and get one with everything that you want. Because, it will last you for the rest of your life. Especially a G - Shock. Just my 2 sheckles worth.
Here's a pic of my MudMaster GWG1000-1A1
Man, I can do anything with this watch and it comes out looking brand new after I clean her up. That Sapphire is just pure awesomeness!
Last edited by MacLaren on Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

GW-M5610U with 3495 engine is best now, but no moon phase;
i wearing old GW-M5610 with 3159 engine, very lacks current time in stopwatch/timer mode, 3495 fixed this bug.
Overpuy fot the screw back is superfluous, with the tough solar battery does not need to be replaced for 10-15 years, unless you like and want DLC coated 😅
IMG_20220923_180020_653.jpg
IMG_20220923_180016_858.jpg
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
Kenneth1977

Post by Kenneth1977 »

Meadowlark wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:48 pm
Kenneth1977 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:17 pm
Meadowlark wrote:

Maybe I'm mistaken but those photos show this model with a screwed in stainless back, no?
That one doesn’t have a screw back case but yes it it does have screws that hold the back on and that’s different.
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Makunochimaster wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:39 am
GW-M5610U with 3495 engine is best now, but no moon phase;
i wearing old GW-M5610 with 3159 engine, very lacks current time in stopwatch/timer mode, 3495 fixed this bug.
Overpuy fot the screw back is superfluous, with the tough solar battery does not need to be replaced for 10-15 years, unless you like and want DLC coated 😅

IMG_20220923_180020_653.jpg
IMG_20220923_180016_858.jpg
Yes, this is the module I went with but with the blue screen.

It'd be cool if they could include moon/tide into this module.
MacLaren wrote: O.P. you could also consider some of the Casio Pro Trek watches too. They are very, very, nice.
That being said, if I were you, I would really up my budget all I could and get one with everything that you want. Because, it will last you for the rest of your life. Especially a G - Shock. Just my 2 sheckles worth.
Man, I can do anything with this watch and it comes out looking brand new after I clean her up. That Sapphire is just pure awesomeness!
I can't spend more than ~150.

I appreciate all the input.
juggler

Post by juggler »

The GW-7900 should also be close to what you're looking for (solar, atomic, tides & moon phases).

It's not as small as the square models but more compact than the "big boys" (Mudman, Pro Trek etc.). The ergonomics are IMO much better than those of the 5600/5610 series (bigger buttons and fifth dedicated light button).

https://www.casio.com/us/watches/gshock ... W-7900B-1/
Attachments
GW-7900Bpng.jpg
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
max808

Post by max808 »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:58 am
O.P. you could also consider some of the Casio Pro Trek watches too. They are very, very, nice.
Looks real nice, this one's been on my wishlist for some time and can be had for a good deal these days if you shop around, mostly JDM like someone mentioned. Kinda hard to justify though when you already have half a dozen G to pick from but definitely an interesting proposition. If Casio decided to make a stainless steel one with solar quad sensor module and bracelet I would own several. And yes Sir sapphire for the win, even though I haven't been able to scratch any of my mineral crystals either and they're supposed to be even more shatterproof. Mine get bumped into hard surfaces on a daily basis and just take it like a champ. If you don't mind scratches on your bezel and bracelet on account of the soft 316L steel used, I feel like stainless G offer the best value in general. Weight weenies need not apply.
:cheap-sunglasses
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

You make a great point, Max.
& I said it as well, it's just really hard to go wrong with any G-Shock.
I also hear ya on stainless steel. I really miss my Pathfinder. It was an ABC that also had the moon & tide graphs. I wound up giving it to my little brother.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

juggler wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:42 am
The GW-7900 should also be close to what you're looking for (solar, atomic, tides & moon phases).

It's not as small as the square models but more compact than the "big boys" (Mudman, Pro Trek etc.). The ergonomics are IMO much better than those of the 5600/5610 series (bigger buttons and fifth dedicated light button).

https://www.casio.com/us/watches/gshock ... W-7900B-1/
I tried this one. I loved everything about it, so many features ... except I couldn't see the numbers unless the light was perfect. Old eyes not picking up the contrast as well as they used to. All these tacticool watches are lost on me. Give me a standard positive display and I am much happier, and know what time it is.

Cheers
max808

Post by max808 »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:46 am
You make a great point, Max.
& I said it as well, it's just really hard to go wrong with any G-Shock.
I also hear ya on stainless steel. I really miss my Pathfinder. It was an ABC that also had the moon & tide graphs. I wound up giving it to my little brother.
Thanks MacLaren, happy to oblige. If that Pathfinder were a G-Shock it would be perfekt for me and I'm pretty sure your lil bro was over the moon with it. I intentionally limit myself to collecting only G-Shock, if not I would probably end up with several Duro, Oceanus and Lineage cuz the Kashio rabbithole runs deep son.
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard