Suburban Survival: Options? Tools & Supplies?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderGrill

Re: Suburban Survival: Options? Tools & Supplies?

Post by SpyderGrill »

James Y wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:23 am
I highly recommend a book called 'The Dark Secrets of SHTF Survival' by Selco Begovic, who survived just such a situation during the Balkan War. If anyone is interested in what happens during urban survival situations from someone who has actually been there/done it, look into it.

Jim

Thanks for the recommendation. I just got the book today, havent read any yet but ready to get into it. I wonder if it will say the same thing I have told my wife about people killing and robbing for water and food when they cant go to the grocery store and get it. And the looks she gives me when I say them things.

God Help us, I believe this day is coming

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:38 pm
James Y wrote:
I highly recommend a book called 'The Dark Secrets of SHTF Survival' by Selco Begovic, who survived just such a situation during the Balkan War. If anyone is interested in what happens during urban survival situations from someone who has actually been there/done it, look into it.

Jim

Thanks for the recommendation. I just got the book today, havent read any yet but ready to get into it. I wonder if it will say the same thing I have told my wife about people killing and robbing for water and food when they cant go to the grocery store and get it. And the looks she gives me when I say them things.

I'm afraid you are absolutely right. I'm holding out hope that something can be done to avert such a scenario taking place. But I'm not living in fantasy land either. Because there are some strange things going on in this town I've lived in off and on for most of my life. We've had 3 murders in the past 8 months which is unprecedented. One of the murders took place in the men's room in a local McDonalds burger stand.

In the past year or so it seems like people are just getting hateful and really short tempered. We've had a couple of bad fights break out in local grocery stores. Again that is unprecedented as well. I hate being negative but like a baseball umpire I call them the way I see them. People do all you can to increase security for your homes.
James Y

Post by James Y »

SpyderGrill wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

I'll be interested to see what you think of it. It's been awhile since I read my copy; it might be a good time to read it again. It's a fairly quick read, but definitely not a light read.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I just read a review on that book by Selco Begovic on a very interesting website. Apparently there are some really dark things to know about "Real Authentic Survival". People will be killing your kids, raping your wife and taking anything you got unless you're ready to play hardball. I got a feeling the author is 100% right on.

The review stated that the author survived during the 1990s war in the Balkans and it was a living nightmare apparently. The review also states that you can throw all the typical survival advice that most books give out the window. Because people will go to the most evil extremes to attain what they want and need. He also says that bartering is extremely difficult during those times without being killed or worse.

I got a feeling this book is one everyone should read>> that is if you can stomach it.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:17 am
SpyderGrill wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

I'll be interested to see what you think of it. It's been awhile since I read my copy; it might be a good time to read it again. It's a fairly quick read, but definitely not a light read.

Jim

Whatever the book says it will be even worse here in the US due to the high population and all of the major cities.

I think I said something about it before, how things will go in reality if it all goes south.

Whatever people think it will be MUCH worse.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

There is a reason why people have struggled so long to maintain the thin veneer of civilization. Real human interaction can be unpleasant. Look at this quote from almost 400 years ago.

"Whatsoever therefore is consequent to a time of Warre, where every man is Enemy to every man; the same is consequent to the time, wherein men live without other security, than what their own strength, and their own invention shall furnish them withall. In such condition, there is no place for Industry; because the fruit thereof is uncertain; and consequently no Culture of the Earth; no Navigation, nor use of the commodities that may be imported by Sea; no commodious Building; no Instruments of moving, and removing such things as require much force; no Knowledge of the face of the Earth; no account of Time; no Arts; no Letters; no Society; and which is worst of all, continuall feare, and danger of violent death; And the life of man, solitary, poore, nasty, brutish, and short." Thomas Hobbes' Leviathan, 1651
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Also read about the what happened on the western fringes of the US Civil War or WWII on the Eastern Front. All perpetrated by "civilized" people.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:05 am
Also read about the what happened on the western fringes of the US Civil War or WWII on the Eastern Front. All perpetrated by "civilized" people.

One would be surprised what happens once all the lights go out so to speak in modern so called civilization.

Which is why we have GOVERMENTS and laws and rules to live by in any civilized society.

Someone will always be in charge, that is just the way it is.

Contrary to what some misguided people want to believe without order there is chaos.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

True freedom tends to chaos.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Freedom more often leads to spontaneous order, which is much more efficient (and just) than centrally imposed order.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_order
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ankerson really hit the nail directly on the head when he made reference to the bigger cities being a problem. Which is why I got out of Kansas City about 4 years ago and moved back out to the suburb I grew up in. I immediately felt safer the day I moved back here. And Kansas City is far from being one of the worst. Cities like Chicago, DC, L.A. San Francisco, Detroit and probably at least 12 others I could name. If you possibly can get out of the bigger cities.

As much as I liked the convenience, immediate access to almost anything and the ease of earning a living it's just no longer worth the risk in my humble opinion.

Which is one big reason I gave this thread the title I gave it. And don't think the suburbs will be without constant mayhem because they will. But you're overall chances of surviving to old age are better in the suburbs where there is still some sense of sanity. I've also found it easier to network with people who have more to lose. There are so many people in the bigger cities living off the system who virtually have nothing to lose and they seem to have no moral compass at all.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

That sounds like a good argument for moving. My bottom line strategy for civil unrest is 'be somewhere else when it happens'. I don't think the whole world will fall apart all at once. And if it does, we're all going to have very large problems and very low odds of survival.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:32 am
I just read a review on that book by Selco Begovic on a very interesting website….

The review stated that the author survived during the 1990s war in the Balkans and it was a living nightmare apparently. …
This was a particularly nasty civil war, fuelled by very long standing cultural and religious resentment, rather than economic hardship. That’s what happens if you have a core of people looking for an excuse to turn on the “other side”, leaders willing to lie to exploit that, and enough of the rest of the population gullible enough to believe those lies. Same happened in Rwanda.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:55 am
That’s what happens if you have a core of people looking for an excuse to turn on the “other side”, leaders willing to lie to exploit that, and enough of the rest of the population gullible enough to believe those lies. Same happened in Rwanda.
Unfortunately, that seems to be the way a lot of the world's political leaders are pushing (all over) at this point. When political leaders look toward 'the glories/injustices of the past' rather than moving toward a more prosperous future for all, they breed that kind of resentment. But focusing on past glory/injustice sells well to a whole lot of people (and increasingly, also, to voters in western democracies), and it's demonstrably a very effective way for leaders to increase their own power and influence.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:40 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
That’s what happens if you have a core of people looking for an excuse to turn on the “other side”, leaders willing to lie to exploit that, and enough of the rest of the population gullible enough to believe those lies. Same happened in Rwanda.
Unfortunately, that seems to be the way a lot of the world's political leaders are pushing (all over) at this point. When political leaders look toward 'the glories/injustices of the past' rather than moving toward a more prosperous future for all, they breed that kind of resentment. But focusing on past glory/injustice sells well to a whole lot of people (and increasingly, also, to voters in western democracies), and it's demonstrably a very effective way for leaders to increase their own power and influence.
That's very well laid out the way you described it. Because during this most recent debacle here in the USA I've witnessed a nasty division created among it's own countrymen. The media seemed to go out of it's way to get two groups of people to gravitate to one side or the other with little or no room for compromise. Meanwhile controlling all the information so few people can really make a well informed decision. So many people reacting on emotion rather than trusted knowledge or true wisdom. Without going into details in this last two year time slot it's been extremely wise to keep your opinions to yourself unless it were to become a life or death situation. Even then things could get really volatile.

But I'm afraid with the economic core eroding as fast as it seems to be that it might change the rule book all together. And I hope and pray to GOD above all that can be averted. Personally I've never seen things so divided as they seem to be at this time in our lengthy history. Which can be a real powder keg if things were to get out of hand. And knowing who your friends really are and who your enemies really are might not be that easy to determine.

And for GODs sakes don't let any neighbors know that you are saving up provisions (unless they are trusted family and long time true friends). The last thing you want to do is to become a target for those who have not prepared. This is one time I can remember where true wisdom can prevail and silence can be golden.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:35 am
TomAiello wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:40 pm
ChrisinHove wrote:
That's very well laid out the way you described it. Because during this most recent debacle here in the USA I've witnessed a nasty division created among it's own countrymen. The media seemed to go out of it's way to get two groups of people to gravitate to one side or the other with little or no room for compromise. Meanwhile controlling all the information so few people can really make a well informed decision. So many people reacting on emotion rather than trusted knowledge or true wisdom. Without going into details in this last two year time slot it's been extremely wise to keep your opinions to yourself unless it were to become a life or death situation. Even then things could get really volatile.

But I'm afraid with the economic core eroding as fast as it seems to be that it might change the rule book all together. And I hope and pray to GOD above all that can be averted. Personally I've never seen things so divided as they seem to be at this time in our lengthy history. Which can be a real powder keg if things were to get out of hand. And knowing who your friends really are and who your enemies really are might not be that easy to determine.

And for GODs sakes don't let any neighbors know that you are saving up provisions (unless they are trusted family and long time true friends). The last thing you want to do is to become a target for those who have not prepared. This is one time I can remember where true wisdom can prevail and silence can be golden.

Well....

There are indeed a lot of mislead and very stupid people out there. :eye-roll

Let us not forget the pandemic and who it was who shut everything down here in the US. ;)

Anyhow, what did people really think would happen once the whole world was shut down for more than a year? And it still is in some places.

It's supply and demand, CAPTITALIZM..... CAPTITALIZM..... What half the country says they support and rabidly at that. :rofl

Until maybe now that it's hitting them dead square in the wallet and they are crying like a bunch of babies.

Remember the old saying...

Be careful what you wish for as you may just get it.... :rofl

Not even going to get into what those same ones are trying to push now.. It's actually much, much worse... If they get that it will be much worse than people could possibly imagine. :eye-roll

Personally it is just sad at the very least watching what is happening and it all going right down the drain.

Well, with 350 Million people here in the US now were do people think they are going to go?

What do they think is going to happen if it all falls apart?

Can't really go anywhere to avoid the issue unless one leaves the Country, and even then well....

It's just not going to work out the way they think... :rofl

That whole RED DAWN movie thing that they seem to hold on to and pray for is just not realistic at all.
max808

Post by max808 »

The most I've learned in life is from my dogs. Human and dog psychology are sometimes eerily similar. One central pillar of dog life is pack mentality, which translates to gang mentality in humans where strength lies in numbers. This inherently brings a power structure or hierarchy with it and thus the alpha or type A personality was born, probably thousands of years ago. A wolfpack is strictly governed by an alpha male and female or power couple in humans. They're usually physically superior specimens that have proven their skill/valor and more than likely challenged and defeated a former pack leader and took the crown. Nature is ruthless like that... now picture Trudeau/Macron next to any alpha male or even regular trucker/laborer/construction worker and compare. Something seems off there... as if the pack has been distracted and divided to the point where it's no longer a unit. And make no mistake brothers and sisters, we are thé pack that constitutes over 7 billion souls, reason why the architects are sitting in their house of cards scared sh!tless that it's about to crumble and expose the lies.
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
max808

Post by max808 »

In case anyone is interested in group dynamics and mass hysteria, Netflix currently has a limited series called Woodstock 99 which details the chaos and mayhem that took place there for 3 days. One episode per day, it's fascinating stuff, near the end of the second day Fred Durst from Limp Bizkit enters the stage and see what happens next...
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Brain is number 1 tool, keeping calm, and not over reaction.

Grew up in 50’s with threat of Nuke War, drop drills in school, like hiding under desk would prevent vaporization.

Then came Vietnam, and dumb mr joins Marines, but never got sent to nam,

Why give self ulcers when you can boy scout be prepared.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

akapennypincher wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:59 am
Brain is number 1 tool, keeping calm, and not over reaction.
How true!! You've hit the nail on the proverbial head directly. Even in everyday life I've seen people turn a rather minor incident into a horrible situation just by over-reacting to something that was not all that bad. And when you over-react you affect so many people around you. Keeping a cool head is always a huge advantage.

I'm going to be extremely picky of the company I'll keep if I'm ever forced to bug out so to speak. Just simply eliminating a "Judas Iscariot" type of person and/or being able to quickly identify an imposter can be life saving.

Be aware of who your friends are NOT. It is a skill that can be honed just by using sound wisdom. Anyone that brags on themselves a lot is usually a dead give-away most every time.