Switchblades!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Switchblades!

Post by James Y »

The only Italian-style switchblades I owned were a couple of cheaply-made ones, probably made in Mexico (and were smuggled in from Mexico) back in the '70s. The blades were a cheap steel stamped "Rizzuto Estileto Milano" and " Stainless." Good only as novelties.

Today, if I legally could, I would like to have a Pro-Tech Godfather. IMO, the quality of Pro-Tech's autos are second to none.

It sucks that autos, balisongs and gravity knives are illegal, at least where I am, which won't be changing anytime soon or far. Once opened, they're just knives, like any other folding knives.

https://youtu.be/aJ68i9KeLoE

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Re: Italian (or any other) Switchblades

Post by James Y »

Switchblades in the Movies (1920 - 1959)

It would have been nice if the person who compiled this had included the names of the movies in the video. I'm familiar with several of the movies, but still...

Anyway, good compilation. More to come...

https://youtu.be/eNYuSHk6S_c

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Switchblades in the Movies (1960 - 1969)

https://youtu.be/cqP2-PRcAE8

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Switchblades in the Movies (1970 - 1979)

https://youtu.be/fD-aURN_avk

Jim
James Y

Re: Switchblades!

Post by James Y »

Switchblades in the Movies, 1980s

I really wish that auto knives were shown in more of a positive light, such as advantages in emergency utility when only one hand was available. Once opened, a switchblade is just another knife, no scarier than a kitchen knife or any folder. But that flicking open triggers a fear reflex in a lot of people out of proportion to the actual knife itself, perpetuated by cinematic representations such as these. Admittedly, I still enjoy seeing them in movies, though.

1980 - 1984:

https://youtu.be/E1TXsYy3jQw

1985 - 1989:

https://youtu.be/ckKsyvdy25o

Jim
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

I have tried a few times to find a nice classic switch blade. It's just wrong not have a real switch blade as a knife enthusiast. I remember getting in trouble for having a hair comb switch blade growing up.

Wish someone would make a $100-200 classic switch blade made to last.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

James Y wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:45 am
It sucks that autos, balisongs and gravity knives are illegal, at least where I am, which won't be changing anytime soon or far.
Yeah, I got an Italian switchblade or two back in the 70's. Back in those days, that might have been the only style of switchblade available. It's all I knew about. But to be honest, every Italian-style switchblade I've ever seen is junk. There's no way I'd choose one for any conceivable task. Maybe they're ok for sitting at your desk making clacking noises as you open your mail, but that's about it. Here on The Forum, we talk about toughness, edge retention, fit, finish, etc. Italian switchblades are none of that.

So is it illegal to own a switchblade, or is it illegal just to carry it around with you outside your home? I suspect the latter, but I could be mistaken.

Whereabouts in Socal are you located? Anywhere near La Habra?
James Y

Post by James Y »

Snacktime wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:53 pm
I have tried a few times to find a nice classic switch blade. It's just wrong not have a real switch blade as a knife enthusiast. I remember getting in trouble for having a hair comb switch blade growing up.

Wish someone would make a $100-200 classic switch blade made to last.

I had a switchblade comb back in the 70s, took it to school a couple times, and never got in trouble for it, because it was a comb. I didn't carry it more, because the butt end had a protuberance, and the guard on the top bolster were both too sharp for pocket carry. I did own a couple switchblades I'll discuss a little in my next post.

TBH, I'm not sure how rugged a traditional Italian switchblade can be. I would personally prefer any auto from Pro-Tech.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:45 pm
James Y wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:45 am
It sucks that autos, balisongs and gravity knives are illegal, at least where I am, which won't be changing anytime soon or far.
Yeah, I got an Italian switchblade or two back in the 70's. Back in those days, that might have been the only style of switchblade available. It's all I knew about. But to be honest, every Italian-style switchblade I've ever seen is junk. There's no way I'd choose one for any conceivable task. Maybe they're ok for sitting at your desk making clacking noises as you open your mail, but that's about it. Here on The Forum, we talk about toughness, edge retention, fit, finish, etc. Italian switchblades are none of that.

So is it illegal to own a switchblade, or is it illegal just to carry it around with you outside your home? I suspect the latter, but I could be mistaken.

Whereabouts in Socal are you located? Anywhere near La Habra?

I'm down in San Diego.

I think you can own any length switchblade, as long as it stays at home. You can only legally carry a switchblade if the blade is under 2". I own two CA-legal switchblades I bought in the early 2000s; a Pro-Tech Runt, and a DKD Shark Tooth, with a hawkbill blade. Quality on both are outstanding. The Shark Tooth looks and feels like a bigger knife, even though the blades are both sub-2". They are both rock-solid, and still fire as powerfully as the days I got them. I would carry them, but TBH, they're a bit too small for me for a clip knife, especially the Runt, with its short, fat-bellied drop point.

Back in the '70s, I had a couple cheap Mexican switchblades, one a 3" and the other a 3.5" blade. They both had lots of blade play, the tips were exposed when they were closed, and the saber-ground stiletto blades were soft chrome steel that wouldn't take an edge. They also had cheap swing guards. I used to carry the 3" one to junior high in 8th and 9th grade, knowing it was illegal and cheap, but feeling cool about being "the man who carries a switchblade." I carried a medium stockman in my other pocket for the real cutting chores.

One day in 9th grade, while sitting in class after lunch, I felt a stinging, prickling sensation on the right side of my private area. I reached in my pocket and realized that the switchblade had come about one-third open in my pocket, and the tip had been lightly poking my junk. Later that afternoon, I tossed it into a dresser drawer and never carried it again. I still have both of those old switchblades, but they stopped working at all many years ago.

Jim
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

James Y wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:45 pm
realized that the switchblade had come about one-third open in my pocket,
Yikes! Carrying a switchblade in your pocket is no different than carrying a pistol in your pocket: you'd better think it through thoroughly before going down that road. My "switchblade education" resulted in a LOT of the red juice, but it was leaking out of my hand. I haven't had a desire to carry it since.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

As teenagers, despite them being illegal here, we found we could easily buy cheap switchblades on school or family trips to France. We didn’t (I still don’t) know where they were made and only half suspected “Rostfrei” on the blade wasn’t the country of origin.

Usually undersprung, we would swap out the spring from a similar sized slipjoint, which would make them far more satisfying, although could flip out of your grasp if you weren’t careful…

The safety buttons on these were often loose, so also learnt to add an extra provision of a split pin to jam the safety lock slide.

Of course, by the time you fished the darn thing out of the bottom of your pocket, pulled out the split pin, released the safety, and made sure you had a full, firm grip before pressing the button, any possible benefit of an automatic was so totally lost it was laughable. We felt cool by association, though. :')
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I have to admit a fondness for Italian style autos though my favorites are German made by Othello, etc. I couldn't get them for so long that it made me want them more. I bought my first while stationed in Germany. Several stores I frequented had bowls of them by the register and they were between 30-40 dm. That was $10 to 15 USD back then. I still have one left of the group I brought back from Germany. The majority are ones I bought at various gun shows I used to go to or sell knives at back in the late 80's and early 90's.
James Y

Post by James Y »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:26 pm
James Y wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:45 pm
realized that the switchblade had come about one-third open in my pocket,
Yikes! Carrying a switchblade in your pocket is no different than carrying a pistol in your pocket: you'd better think it through thoroughly before going down that road. My "switchblade education" resulted in a LOT of the red juice, but it was leaking out of my hand. I haven't had a desire to carry it since.

Yeah, luckily there was no blood in my case. The tip was the only part of the blade that was sharp.

Another good thing about modern autos like Pro-Tech, or my DKD, is they have pocket clips for tip-up carry. Which would keep even an accidentally fired-open blade from hitting my "boys."

Truthfully, I think manual one-handers like Spydercos are way better than autos. Less to go wrong or foul up. And if I'm so inclined, I can get my Spyderco out and open faster and easier than a switchblade. IF I wanted to, which i usually don't feel the need. Unless something needs cutting really quickly, which hasn't happened too many times for me.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:39 am
As teenagers, despite them being illegal here, we found we could easily buy cheap switchblades on school or family trips to France. We didn’t (I still don’t) know where they were made and only half suspected “Rostfrei” on the blade wasn’t the country of origin.

Usually undersprung, we would swap out the spring from a similar sized slipjoint, which would make them far more satisfying, although could flip out of your grasp if you weren’t careful…

The safety buttons on these were often loose, so also learnt to add an extra provision of a split pin to jam the safety lock slide.

Of course, by the time you fished the darn thing out of the bottom of your pocket, pulled out the split pin, released the safety, and made sure you had a full, firm grip before pressing the button, any possible benefit of an automatic was so totally lost it was laughable. We felt cool by association, though. :')

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Chris!

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:24 am
I have to admit a fondness for Italian style autos though my favorites are German made by Othello, etc. I couldn't get them for so long that it made me want them more. I bought my first while stationed in Germany. Several stores I frequented had bowls of them by the register and they were between 30-40 dm. That was $10 to 15 USD back then. I still have one left of the group I brought back from Germany. The majority are ones I bought at various gun shows I used to go to or sell knives at back in the late 80's and early 90's.

I heard before the 1958 switchblade ban, hardware stores used to sell switchblades hanging on racks. Also, some companies lije Schrade used to make switchblade pen knives for women, so they wouldn't worry about breaking their nails opening their little knives. I think they were advertised as tools for the sewing kit.

Back in the '70s and early '80s, our next door neighbor was a single woman who was a cop. She gave my dad a Camillus switchblade with an orange handle and a clip point blade, and also had a sharpened slipjoint hook blade that opened by hand from the other end. Yes, a cop gave my dad a switchblade; probably because he was losing too much dexterity due to his Parkinson's to use his old nail-nick pocketknives. I don't think he ever carried or used it. It was pretty heavy. I think it was intended for paratroopers(?). I still have it, and it still opens, though like my cheap Mexican Italian-style switchblades, the blade tip sticks out of the handle when closed.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Two knife scenes from the movie 12 Angry Men (1957). Of course, nowadays there's no way that Henry Fonda's character could bring a switchblade into a courthouse and into the jury room in order to make a point (no pun intended). He'd never make it past security, and would be arrested himself.

https://youtu.be/2vE5hwyzV1M

https://youtu.be/U44_sEUJROI

Jim
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

James Y wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:15 pm
Truthfully, I think manual one-handers like Spydercos are way better than autos. Less to go wrong or foul up. And if I'm so inclined, I can get my Spyderco out and open faster and easier than a switchblade.
You are correct on all counts. Another benefit is that all my Spydies are one-handed closers. Side-opening autos require either two hands, or pushing against your leg. One exception is a gravity knife, which I just got, and it needs a sheath rather than a clip. The other exception is OTF. The standard design is lacking, in my opinion.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jim I'm glad you started this thread on Automatic Folding Knives i.e. "Switchblades". There is so much disinformation and so much falsehood surrounding automatic folding knives. Two of the Autos I've owned and used are the Benchmade model 1000, Boguszewski Auto-Spike and the Benchmade model 2500. Neither one of those Benchmade models are made any longer unfortunately. The Boguszewski Auto Spike was a terrific knife. I sold that last one of those I had about a year ago and I wish I had not sold it. You are right that Protech makes a great auto-folder; they make great quality blades to be sure. But Benchmade also made some great "automatics" as well. Microtech also makes some pretty respectable automatic models. That is if you can get past their arrogant cult-like behavior. I've never yet tried out one of Spyderco's Auto models. I will eventually. Automatics just don't intrigue me like they used to at one time. However I would love to have a Boguszewski auto Spike again.

When I was still in the tree service business as late as 2010 I carried that Benchmade model 1000 with me every time I climbed up in a tree. It was much safer to operate a folder "one-handed" when I needed one when working at dangerous heights. Here in the State of Missouri we have a "collector's provision for automatics. The only time law enforcement gives a person a hard time concerning automatic knives in Missouri is if you are caught with one while committing a crime. And usually they just take it away from you in most of those cases.

Automatics get so much bad press and bad publicity and it's totally without merit.
James Y

Post by James Y »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:34 pm
James Y wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:15 pm
Truthfully, I think manual one-handers like Spydercos are way better than autos. Less to go wrong or foul up. And if I'm so inclined, I can get my Spyderco out and open faster and easier than a switchblade.
You are correct on all counts. Another benefit is that all my Spydies are one-handed closers. Side-opening autos require either two hands, or pushing against your leg. One exception is a gravity knife, which I just got, and it needs a sheath rather than a clip. The other exception is OTF. The standard design is lacking, in my opinion.

Yes, the easy one-hand closing is invaluable. You can also partially open a Spydie, such as for cutting a thread or a piece of tape. With a Spydie back lock, you can also do a slow, silent opening by depressing the lock bar until the blade is all the way open. It takes a bit longer than a standard opening, but is more subtle if you don't want people nearby hearing a metallic "snick" sound. With an auto, it has to open fully and the same way every time.

How was the purchase of the gravity knife? I'm a little surprised they shipped to CA. The CA-legal Pro-Tech and DKD autos I own were bought in person at a gun show and a brick-and-mortar knife shop respectively, from dealers I knew years ago.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:32 pm
Jim I'm glad you started this thread on Automatic Folding Knives i.e. "Switchblades". There is so much disinformation and so much falsehood surrounding automatic folding knives. Two of the Autos I've owned and used are the Benchmade model 1000, Boguszewski Auto-Spike and the Benchmade model 2500. Neither one of those Benchmade models are made any longer unfortunately. The Boguszewski Auto Spike was a terrific knife. I sold that last one of those I had about a year ago and I wish I had not sold it. You are right that Protech makes a great auto-folder; they make great quality blades to be sure. But Benchmade also made some great "automatics" as well. Microtech also makes some pretty respectable automatic models. That is if you can get past their arrogant cult-like behavior. I've never yet tried out one of Spyderco's Auto models. I will eventually. Automatics just don't intrigue me like they used to at one time. However I would love to have a Boguszewski auto Spike again.

When I was still in the tree service business as late as 2010 I carried that Benchmade model 1000 with me every time I climbed up in a tree. It was much safer to operate a folder "one-handed" when I needed one when working at dangerous heights. Here in the State of Missouri we have a "collector's provision for automatics. The only time law enforcement gives a person a hard time concerning automatic knives in Missouri is if you are caught with one while committing a crime. And usually they just take it away from you in most of those cases.

Automatics get so much bad press and bad publicity and it's totally without merit.

Thanks for sharing, Joe.

I had heard of Benchmade's quality autos, but didn't mention them, because I've never even handled one before. So it wouldn't have been truthful if I said I knew they were good.

I remember handling a manual-opening Benchmade Boguszewski Spike at a gun show, back in the late '90s. I didn't buy it, but it was a cool design. I remember the Kevin Bacon movie Stir of Echoes showed what looked like a BM Spike near the end of the movie. The Native Chief's blade shape reminds me a *little* bit of the Benchmade Spike.

As for Microtech, their designs look cool, but I've heard too many negative things on forums about Microtech's customer service.

Jim