Suburban Survival: Options? Tools & Supplies?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JRinFL

Re: Suburban Survival: Options? Tools & Supplies?

Post by JRinFL »

Salt is over looked when it comes to many survival planners. Going to need a large supply in order to preserve your food for months.Hard to find in nature, harder than it looks to make at the sea shore.

Living off the land after the first few months will be extremely difficult as all the easily harvested crops and wildlife will be depleted.

Potatoes are a survival crop. Fields of wheat can be burned, as can potatoes, but with the potato the edible portion is under ground.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The pristine landscapes of the prehistoric world must have supported a population of human hunter gatherers that was a tiniest fraction of today’s population. The difficulty must have been finding other people.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:05 am
The pristine landscapes of the prehistoric world must have supported a population of human hunter gatherers that was a tiniest fraction of today’s population. The difficulty must have been finding other people.

Yes.

If you look at the world population numbers going way back you will see they were actually VERY small until not all that long ago.

Then things started exploding population wise.

There are some that say humans are overpopulating the world, I tend to agree with that thought.

I don't know what the answer is to the problem however.

Although in nature when a species gets overpopulated something usually happens to cut it back. ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:27 am
Salt is over looked when it comes to many survival planners. Going to need a large supply in order to preserve your food for months.Hard to find in nature, harder than it looks to make at the sea shore.

Living off the land after the first few months will be extremely difficult as all the easily harvested crops and wildlife will be depleted.

Potatoes are a survival crop. Fields of wheat can be burned, as can potatoes, but with the potato the edible portion is under ground.
Great points about the root crops. They do seem to produce far more yield that most other garden veggies & fruits ( yeah tomatoes are a fruit)

There is a guy who contributes to the Backwoodsman and several other survival type magazines named Christopher Nyerges. He's recently done a couple of most interesting articles about "foraging". These articles point out many edible plants, seeds, acorns ( white oak only), Hickory nuts and so many that are too numerous to mention that can help sustain a person.

I hope to GOD above that it doesn't come to that but it wouldn't hurt to gain the knowledge.
max808

Post by max808 »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:09 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Although in nature when a species gets overpopulated something usually happens to cut it back. ;)
You seem to be looking forward to this, naturally assuming you won't be part of the herd that gets culled I guess? Also it's written in stone somewhere in Georgia if memory serves.
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

max808 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:36 pm
Ankerson wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:
You seem to be looking forward to this, naturally assuming you won't be part of the herd that gets culled I guess? Also it's written in stone somewhere in Georgia if memory serves.

Hardly...

Was just stating what normally happens when a species gets overpopulated.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One of the latest areas of endeavor I've been exploring is the use of axes, hatchets and hawks. That's what they used before the days of chain saws. And in several national forests and other protected parks you are not allowed to use chain saws and must use buck saws, axes and adzes.

One needs to know what resources are locally available and what you have legal access to close to where you live. Learning the skills, maintenance and sharpening of edged striking tools could be extremely valuable in a prolonged power outage or any other type of interruption of services.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The best survival saw I've found is this type: https://www.rei.com/product/199841/sol- ... lsrc=aw.ds

I've used them quite a lot. Very handy.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Does anyone have a 10/22 take down? Do you like it? And has anyone here every tried converting one to .17 hm2?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:40 pm
One of the latest areas of endeavor I've been exploring is the use of axes, hatchets and hawks. That's what they used before the days of chain saws. And in several national forests and other protected parks you are not allowed to use chain saws and must use buck saws, axes and adzes.

One needs to know what resources are locally available and what you have legal access to close to where you live. Learning the skills, maintenance and sharpening of edged striking tools could be extremely valuable in a prolonged power outage or any other type of interruption of services.
I really like my Hardcore Hammer's Hatchett JD. She bites like helll man. Josh has one too. They're very nice.
Take that with a grain of salt though, man. I'm no expert on hatchetts. But, I think you would really like it.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:33 pm
I really like my Hardcore Hammer's Hatchett JD.
Which model do you have?
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

If there was anything like a global or nationwide shtf scenario, then I really doubt that anyone's personal agricultural efforts will persist. Any idea of Little House on the Prairie seems to me like a romantisized one.

Mad Max, passing by your farm, memories of his childhood flashing. His mother's voice, gently whispering "Boy, I told you how to separate right from wrong. Always do the right thing. Do not torture and cripple these candid people, just to rob a goat and a few bushels of wheat. Wait for the one with the cow, du**a**!"
He rides along with a small tear in his eyes and for the blink of an eye, he wishes his comrades could see the deep, deep hole in his hurt, hurt soul...

As someone mentioned above, 'they' will search, find you and crush you down. Then they'll take your supplies and go for the next opportunity. No matter if it's you with your family, farming five acres in Walnut Grove or a 100+ group with machine guns, if law has abandoned, anything will be possible.

There's no chance to feed all the people in the world without mechanized agriculture. Hunger and greed will corrupt people to do unspeakable things. Since the beginning of the pandemic, we saw different minded people teaming up, driven only by hate on something that even might not exist. So I hope anything like this will never happen.

If we're talking about a local crisis, our best bet will be asking for help in our neighborhood (bordering states), as we actually see with UA. I don't know how the people in Eastern Ukraine call what had hit their fan, but I guess it starts with a 's'.

I'm living in Southern Germany, Ukrainian territory is less than 1000 km away.
My best bet is to save enough gas and the capability to quickly collect 100 Liters of fresh water and to load and fill up the van and leave in a westward direction.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:49 am
MacLaren wrote:
I really like my Hardcore Hammer's Hatchett JD.
Which model do you have?
Hey Tom,
I believe I have the Survivalist
It came with a sheath too
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Granoo Fink wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:30 pm
If there was anything like a global or nationwide shtf scenario, then I really doubt that anyone's personal agricultural efforts will persist. Any idea of Little House on the Prairie seems to me like a romantisized one.

Mad Max, passing by your farm, memories of his childhood flashing. His mother's voice, gently whispering "Boy, I told you how to separate right from wrong. Always do the right thing. Do not torture and cripple these candid people, just to rob a goat and a few bushels of wheat. Wait for the one with the cow, du**a**!"
He rides along with a small tear in his eyes and for the blink of an eye, he wishes his comrades could see the deep, deep hole in his hurt, hurt soul...

As someone mentioned above, 'they' will search, find you and crush you down. Then they'll take your supplies and go for the next opportunity. No matter if it's you with your family, farming five acres in Walnut Grove or a 100+ group with machine guns, if law has abandoned, anything will be possible.

There's no chance to feed all the people in the world without mechanized agriculture. Hunger and greed will corrupt people to do unspeakable things. Since the beginning of the pandemic, we saw different minded people teaming up, driven only by hate on something that even might not exist. So I hope anything like this will never happen.

If we're talking about a local crisis, our best bet will be asking for help in our neighborhood (bordering states), as we actually see with UA. I don't know how the people in Eastern Ukraine call what had hit their fan, but I guess it starts with a 's'.

I'm living in Southern Germany, Ukrainian territory is less than 1000 km away.
My best bet is to save enough gas and the capability to quickly collect 100 Liters of fresh water and to load and fill up the van and leave in a westward direction.

This whole SHTF thing has been overdone, romanticized, monetized, advertised and even had movies and some TV shows made.

None of which are even remotely realistic if something really was to happen now.

Doesn't stop those who are drooling for something to happen though. :eye-roll

Even see memes on FB about it. :eye-roll
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Everybody should be stocking up your pantry right now with dried things like rice, beans, pasta, canned vegetables, meat, anything that will last for years without refrigeration.

Also stock up on ammo and if you dont own a firearm, you better go get one or three
James Y

Post by James Y »

I highly recommend a book called 'The Dark Secrets of SHTF Survival' by Selco Begovic, who survived just such a situation during the Balkan War. If anyone is interested in what happens during urban survival situations from someone who has actually been there/done it, look into it.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MacLaren wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:40 pm

I really like my Hardcore Hammer's Hatchett JD. She bites like helll man. Josh has one too. They're very nice.
Take that with a grain of salt though, man. I'm no expert on hatchetts. But, I think you would really like it.
I just looked at "HardcoreHammers" website. I've never yet ever used any of their tools but I sure like what I just seen on their website. The two hatchets that I've had for years that I really love are an old Estwing hatchet that I've had for years and an old Sears Craftsman hatchet. Both of them are quality built. I've had that Sears Craftsman hatchet since 1982 and I paid over $40 ( 1980s dollars) at the time because I wanted something that could endure harsh treatment. The Craftsman and Estwing hatchets both are built with superior quality.

A good friend of mine has a hatchet and axe both made by Granfors Bruks ( Swedish company). They are both balanced beyond belief. I most definitely want to check out a Granfors Bruks axe at some point. And I'm most definitely going to find out if there are any dealers here in the Kansas City MO area for those HarecoreHammer tools. This is the first testimony I've ever heard about them. Because MAC you and I have similar tastes it seems when it comes to tools. Thanks for the "heads-up".
max808

Post by max808 »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:50 pm
max808 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:36 pm
Ankerson wrote:
ChrisinHove wrote:

Hardly...

Was just stating what normally happens when a species gets overpopulated.
Thanks for answering my provocative post. You're absolutely right but in our case it seems some of us are more than willing to accelerate the process in unnatural ways. But let's not go there cuz that would take us into unsanctioned territory on here. Let's stick to the facts instead. Domestic violence is up, armed robberies up, kidnappings on the rise, have been for years, homicides are up, record numbers across the board, record inflation in some regions of the world, people lost over half their capital overnight, in some cases people lost everything, foreclosures, layoffs, wars and rumors of war...
I know I'm painting a grim picture here, only to illustrate that people are desperate and will do most anything to get what they feel like they need or are entitled to.
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think you may be a little too alarmist. Crime is up compared to the last several years, but still lower than it was in the 1990s. I don't think the 90s were too terrible.

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/U ... statistics
max808

Post by max808 »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:38 pm
I think you may be a little too alarmist. Crime is up compared to the last several years, but still lower than it was in the 1990s. I don't think the 90s were too terrible.

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/U ... statistics
Depending on where you live you might not have noticed much but a couple years ago we already had record numbers so to top those is pretty stunning. Gun death rate increased 15% from 2019 to 2020, here are the statistics for the US in 2020 according to CDC.

2020 > 45,222
19,384 murders (43%)
24,292 suicides (54%)
535 unintentional
611 law enforcement
400 undetermined

2020 most on record since 1968
14% increase from the year before
25% increase from five years earlier
43% increase from a decade prior

2020 total deaths
34% increase from the year before
49% increase over five years
75% increase over 10 years

513 killed in active shooter incidents
2000 > 3 asi
2020 > 40 asi

2021 > CDC data suggests nearly 49,000 people died from gun violence

This being just one aspect of violent crime, these numbers would suggest an alarming trend. And the news I've been watching for several years does corroborate that data. Have you seen the videos from the Bay area where teenagers run up on Asian seniors, sometimes with deadly consequences? That was a trend for a while, or the gang of lil kids that severely beat a small girl in broad daylight on the mean streets of NY, just to take her phone? Or that woman on the subway getting raped and being filmed instead of saved by the other passengers, people getting stabbed in the back waiting on the platform or pushed in front of oncoming trains... I've seen the surveillance videos myself and could go on and on but I won't out of respect for the victims. Safe to say to me these are signs of the times.