Fishing

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mushroom

Re: Fishing

Post by Mushroom »

JestersHK wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:56 pm
Cool thanks I'm off to find some. Fast stripping a wooly bugger for bass is almost more fun than catching trout. I got my PB flyrod bass that way a month or so ago. 4.4lbs
Great fish!!! I’m still after something that size, my PB Largemouth is only 3lb 2oz so I can only imagine how fun that fight must have been on a fly rod.

JestersHK wrote: Mushroom you could also try throwing that twig under a weighted bobber, especially if there's any chop or wind on the water, or if you're in a creek let it drift like a san Juan worm fly. I bet they'd tear that up
That’s a great idea and I will definitely be trying that next time I use it! I’ll be in a pond so the weighted bobber will be ideal for some better casting distance. Thanks for the tip!
-Nick :bug-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Caught a couple Stripers this past weekend using chunks of mackerel. Estimating they were both in the 20-24 inch range and they were released after a couple quick photos. The first one was caught with a Shimano Baitrunner reel and hearing that secondary drag screaming when a fish takes the bait is so satisfying!

Couldn’t resist the quick photo op…

Second one was my first fish caught with a new Daiwa reel I decided to try out. (Daiwa BG 3000) It’s my first Daiwa reel and I like it so far.

olywa

Post by olywa »

I've been thinking about the Daiwa BG. I recently opted for the Penn Battle III 3000 and it's a winner. Now looking for something lighter in the 1500 range and I may just have to try the Daiwa BG out.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageGrandson today . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

That’s a nice fish, MG2! I’ve been doing a lot of wading lately but a bass boat like that would be amazing to use.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

It in a lake that only allows trolling motors nearby . My grandson is mildly autistic and loves to fish really sweet young man . He manages produce at our local grocery store . Thank you MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

That’s great for him! One of the best parts about fishing is how accessible it is for everyone. A good trolling motor rig can be the best way to fish in my opinion, so trolling motor only is not a bad thing in my opinion. A handful of small ponds near me do the same.

olywa wrote: I've been thinking about the Daiwa BG. I recently opted for the Penn Battle III 3000 and it's a winner. Now looking for something lighter in the 1500 range and I may just have to try the Daiwa BG out.
I have a Penn Fierce III 6000 that I bought just to have something to handle the currents in the Cape Cod Canal. It is a really heavy reel though and casting it can get tiring fast, so I rarely use it.

The Daiwa BG 3000 is a much more reasonable size for casual inshore fishing.
Brookso

Post by Brookso »

Even if you don't have a rig, fishing still is the most accessible past time I'd say ever. After all can always find spots to fish at the shore.
Recently picked up myself a TFO Pro III rod( been browsing for options for some time, found a few good guides - https://gritroutdoors.com/expert-guides-tutorials mostly this one tbh - and went with it). So far exactly 0 issues with it :D
Last edited by Brookso on Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

That’s very true and even how I do a lot of my own fishing! Sometimes I’m lucky enough to get an invite onto a friends boat but for the most part I’m either in the kayak, wading, or fishing from shore.
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

Nice stripers and bass. I've had the green light from the wife for a few years now to buy a boat, but I prefer wading and being in the water... lots of my buddies have boats too so that helps as well and is much cheaper lol.

A ditch pickle from my pond the other day. Got a new hand crafted jigging rod as well with custom cork burn but don't think I can post video here...
Attachments
Resized_Resized_20220810_123457(1).jpeg
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:08 pm
ImageGrandson today . MG2
Nice summer memory!
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

I’ve always enjoyed bass fishing. Last week at my over pressured pond, I pulled out this chunker. It was a fun fight, drag ripping a few moments and a smart fish trying to wrap itself in weeds.
Attachments
3C075897-D285-4953-8E54-A161D72847F9.jpeg
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:12 am
I’ve always enjoyed bass fishing. Last week at my over pressured pond, I pulled out this chunker. It was a fun fight, drag ripping a few moments and a smart fish trying to wrap itself in weeds.
Thank you Kevin. Nice catch yourself ! Dan
Henry David Thoreau
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wow, I've miss a lot since I was away,

Great work and pic, brethren!

We're coming into season after an exceptionality cold and wet winter and I'm looking forward to tossing a soft plastic or two after my targeted Flatties these warmer months. :smiling-cheeks
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Was out on a friends boat fishing in Boston Harbor a few weeks ago and we spotted this Ocean Sunfish (Mola Mola). It dove deep when we got close so I was only able to get a short video.

Screenshots from the video
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Caught a handful of fish yesterday wading around a local pond. Few small Chain Pickerel, some Yellow Perch, and a few Largemouth Bass.

And of course, on my fifth “last cast” of the night, I hooked into a big one! It jumped and I could see that it was the biggest bass I’d ever hooked. After it jumped I turned the rod and *pop* it came off…

I thought it just got off the hook but then I as I got the lure in, I saw that it literally snapped the hook completely off the bait!

Never had this happen before. It was enough to force me into avoiding this brand in the future though! :cussing
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Fly Fishing was my passion it was what I did in free time.

Always want to do it in Alaska River s, never had the 💵’s.
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

Is that a wlure brand lure? Bummer losing the big one like that. I've had many hooks pull out of Rapalas to the point I stopped throwing them...
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JestersHK wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:54 pm
Is that a wlure brand lure? Bummer losing the big one like that. I've had many hooks pull out of Rapalas to the point I stopped throwing them...
It’s from brand called “Googan Squad.” They do some really heavy YouTube marketing and have popped up in a bunch of big box tackle shops. I won’t lie, I bought into the marketing and have a few of their hard baits and a bunch of their soft plastic baits.

This is the first time I’ve broken one of their hard baits but that’s enough when it potentially cost me a new PB! :grin-squint

At first I really liked their soft plastics because they have good action and I like the scent they use but the durability is really lacking. It’s difficult to get any of their soft plastics to last more than one or two fish, in my experience. Sometimes even less and I’ve actually had them tear up just from being cast a bunch.
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

It has the same shape of the blanks my buddy uses from wlure. I switched exclusively to wlures jerkbaits after breaking bills and ripping hooks out from tails on Rapalas and mega basses.

I'm targeting big trout, potentially world record browns and I'd be sick if my bait failed like that...

The wlures take a beating, I got a few with 100 plus trout on them. The walleye and browns tear them up but I've only lost a few that finally wore through.