The Feared Kukri

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

The Feared Kukri

Post by James Y »

Interesting history of a fascinating knife design.

https://youtu.be/w6ZIY2i1t2s

Jim
TomAiello

Re: The Feared Kukri

Post by TomAiello »

Thanks for posting that. I'm really fond of Kukris but have never really collected very many.
Brookso

Post by Brookso »

Kukri is an interesting mix of knife and axe imo, but after using one couple o times I think it's not suited that well for local wood. I've been sweating trying to chop a small tree like no tomorrow, meanwhile takes only couple o' minutes to chop it with a my small axe I've got from outdoor sports store https://gritroutdoors.com/ Ofc it might be my lack of technique but personally, not my cup of tea! Great video nevertheless
Last edited by Brookso on Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks for posting that. I find that when well made these are enormously effecting knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have three from Himalayan Imports. I used one to demo a particle board & formica bathroom counter top. I ended up rolling the edge, but was able to use the included tool to massage it back into place. I'm not holding it against the knife or the maker as it was never meant for the job I used it on.

I have have to sell them off, the last to go would be the model designed after the WWII issued version. Looks good, comfortable, fast in the hand.

There was a BF member who was in the US military (Army, I believe, but could have been Marines) who carried one in Afghanistan. Went by the name Falcn or similar. Always wondered what happened to him.

Anyway, get a real one made in Nepal by a real kami and work it hard. Interesting tools, for sure.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

These - and the Gurkha who carry them - are legendary, and held in very high regards here.

I regularly come across battered old (clearly military issued) ones as kept as gardening tools …

The current Mrs is from Aldershot, home of the British army, with a large Gurkha presence. I can heartily recommend Nepalese food, too!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

if you're interested in a modern take in a folding design, check out the cold steel rajah ii. it's actually small for a kukri, even though it's huge for a folder.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
James Y

Post by James Y »

Hi, guys. Thank you for the comments.

I've been considering getting a Ka-Bar Kukri machete. Inexpensive enough, but is something I'd be willing to use hard. Alas, I'll have to wait for quite awhile until I'll spare the money to buy a knife again.

Jim