help me think better of this blade

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ykspydiefan

help me think better of this blade

Post by ykspydiefan »

I inherited a knife collection a while ago. It has been a thing going through sentimental items, found items, specialty items and historical items too. Last time the forumites helped me out, it was to identify a Kuomintang dagger. Thanks team.

Now this item has come up for observation. I would like to think better about this blade. Considering the lack of an easily readable name, obvious billboarding, country of origin and provenance(recycling and picking.)... I want to believe it could be better than a gas station novelty.

Overall, it is 16 inches, 9 inch blade with a pointy bit on the pommel. It demonstrates the worst execution of a choil that I have ever seen. The spacing is too wide even for XL mitts. Functionally there is a choil past the guard, it is 1/5 inches of wasted space.

I have no reason to doubt the 440 steel. I have every confidence in a couple of companies China COA blades.

Is there a reason to believe this is better than a novelty item? Do the letters, or name mean anything to anyone?

IMG_20220630_232552011mondo.jpg
IMG_20220630_232617603blade.jpg
IMG_20220630_232853527close.jpg
IMG_20220630_232945640china.jpg

Currently it shows no use or sharpening. Regardless I would like to smash a tree with it until the tree was in nice little burnable bits.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Accutron

Re: help me think better of this blade

Post by Accutron »

The phrase is 'molon labe', which means 'come and take it' in Greek.

The knife is gas station garbage. Given its size and mass, it's probably not safe to use.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

The lettering on the blade translates to “Come and Take it “ . This appears to be something one may find on the Bud K site , I don’t mean to be disrespectful. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

As others have said it is unfortunately not a high quality piece. This knife, and many others, are sold under the name “Greek Warrior Molon Labe Fixed blade collection.”
-Nick :bug-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

You can still probably go to town on a log with it. Be sure and wear proper safety equipment.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It might make a good beater. Give it a shot and see. You might be able to do things with it you would not dare do with an expensive knife. I had one like that, once. It was the best kudzu knife in the world.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Hey! Thanks again team. And, I googled kudzu, had never heard of it before. Willow is the trail hog around here.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)