Anyone use a safety razor?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kennethsime

Re: Anyone use a safety razor?

Post by kennethsime »

I really didn't enjoy my Derby blades, but then you've got the variable of your razor, your face, and your skill as Doc has pointed out several times in this thread. I agree though, they just weren't that sharp.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Ric

Post by Ric »

I would say the face prep is a big factor.
Also before or after the shower.
So many variables - but still a great joy :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I want to quantify what makes a good, smooth razor that is yet efficient. I contacted Matt at the Razor Emporium, who designed and makes the top end Rex razors. He sent back this video the cuts through a lot of urban myth and explains what I wanted to know, plus some other things, as well.
https://youtu.be/GB1_cv99nao
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Well, my face actually survived…

My EJ de89 arrived today and as the current Mrs was out this evening I’ve just given myself one of the closest shaves I’ve ever had (even with one of the Derby Extra blades it came with). No cuts, nicks or significant irritation, although I do feel a little exfoliated.

I think I’m going to really like using it.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:05 pm

My EJ de89 arrived today and as the current Mrs was out this evening I’ve just given myself one of the closest shaves I’ve ever had (even with one of the Derby Extra blades it came with). No cuts, nicks or significant irritation, although I do feel a little exfoliated.

Excellent! It's a great feeling, huh?

One rule of thumb I learned is not to make more than one pass of a given area without re-lathering. I find that as long as I go slow, and follow this rule, I can get a nice close shave without nicking or irritation.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:05 pm

Awesome. I hope you did not use canned soap! :grimace That is a fantastic shaving razor and I should have stopped at that one when I got it. Of course, like Spyderco knives, for me I can't have but one.

When you get good, slick soap, try a Feather blade. Get the angle right and it will feel like you are merely wiping off the soap, but your face will be whisker free. I really love that DE89.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:54 pm
I hope you did not use canned soap! :grimace
The De89 is the fluted handle one, which gave me decent purchase when I was soaped.

Although the razor came with a tube of EJ soap, I used what I had in the cabinet - a hand pump of Sukin brand gel that tbh felt like the stuff that comes out of aerosol cans but without the gas.

I gave up on that and used some Lush Prince which is a non lathering cream. I had always found that best when I used to use disposables (!), although clogging to the multi blades, as it is both lubricant and balm/moisturiser.

I shall have to get a brush & try out the EJ soap next, by which time all the blade samples will have arrived.

Thanks for the YT link, btw. That’s a great channel.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I discovered something about the Henson that is different from my other razors made of other materials. From Henson's FAQ:

"Best practice is to thoroughly rinse the razor under water after each shave. No need to fully disassemble after each shave. Be sure to store your Henson in a dry place; we don't suggest storing in the shower.

Replace the blade every 3-5 shaves and when you disassemble to do so we suggest a light cleaning. You can use a soft bristled toothbrush and water, soap or mild cleaning solution if you wish. Dry and place a new blade in."

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, I got my Henson Ti22 titanium medium today. What a beautiful razor! It is rather shiny where the lazer cuts are on the handle, and the rest is a nice softly gleaming polish. It is not the dull titanium grey like is often seen on knives. It is a beautiful razor.

Shave: As soon as I got it I disinfected it and washed it. I put a hot steamy towel on my face while I lathered up the bowl and brush. I popped a Feather blade in the razor and then made a pass down my cheek. OMG! Going down my face it was slicker than snot on a door knob! That polished Ti seemed to glide down my face. The whole shave was like that. The weight of the razor really helped. It is twice as heavy as the aluminum version, so I did not use pressure. I just let the weight of the razor do the work. I got a fantastic shave. I am not saying this to be a fan boy. I would be critical if I thought there was merit. But, this razor gave me one of the best shaves I have ever gotten in two passes. The shave was extremely smooth, no dragging, tugging, sticking, or anything. I got no irritations. It is so efficient that I accidentally shaved through part of my thick mustache without realizing it and took it down to the skin in one stroke. Well, it will grow back.

Finish: I have already mentioned how it is nicely finished. The photos don't do it justice. It is a really good looking razor. It is as good as it could be. The lazer cuts really pick up the light and sparkle. The handle is a bit more polished than the head, as can be seen. The head has a nice, semi-gloss, well-polished, smooth finish that wants to glide across the surface of my face.

The handle looks smooth in the pictures, but in reality, it is not. Those bands are actually raised and those lazer cuts are very sharp. It sticks in my hand as good as any knurling, even with soap.

Fit: The fit, too, is what you'd expect from Henson. It is tight and perfect. I had zero issues with the brass threads. Unscrewing and screwing in the handle was smooth, like butter. Very nice, indeed. They use brass threads that screw into a tungsten insert because Ti on Ti can gall and stick.

This is a truly high tech razor and it shows in the workmanship as well as the overall design.

I am a happy camper. I have no buyers remorse and no regrets. This razor is worth every penny (to me it is).

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

That is a gorgeous razor! You can really tell the precision machining.

I just checked the price :O

On a more mundane level I now have a Simpson t3 synthetic brush on the way. The choice of brushes & materials was a little overwhelming tbh but there used to a rather unkind but well used expression “as rough as a badger’s arse” which now puts me off natural bristles…
Ric

Post by Ric »

@doc dan

Did you also think about the titanium aggressive version?
Is there a big difference between AL and TI ?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:28 am
That is a gorgeous razor! You can really tell the precision machining.

I just checked the price :O

On a more mundane level I now have a Simpson t3 synthetic brush on the way. The choice of brushes & materials was a little overwhelming tbh but there used to a rather unkind but well used expression “as rough as a badger’s arse” which now puts me off natural bristles…
There are different kinds of badgers. The badger hair they use on the brushes is very soft. Boar is the one that is more coarse. However, I use synthetic because it dries faster in this humid climate. A good synthetic is hard to tell from badger.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ric wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:03 pm
@doc dan

Did you also think about the titanium aggressive version?
Is there a big difference between AL and TI ?
I thought about it, but I don't need more aggression, and to be honest, it is hard to imagine anyone needing more, unless they don't shave very often. The medium is just right for me.

The difference is that the head is more polished than on the aluminum and the Ti razor weighs twice as much as the aluminum, but is still light in weight. The Henson AL is a great shaver, which is what made me want the Ti so much. It is too early to say for certain, but I think the extra weight is just enough to make shaving even better. But the cost ! :scream

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc, that’s the flashiest razor I’ve ever seen. Looks like it’s going 200mph just sitting there.

Might even buy one myself. :cheap-sunglasses
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:01 pm
Doc, that’s the flashiest razor I’ve ever seen. Looks like it’s going 200mph just sitting there.

Might even buy one myself. :cheap-sunglasses
You should. It is the most idiot proof razor I've ever used, and so it is good for me. The good thing is that you can try an aluminum version that is pretty inexpensive.

Smiling Wallaby carries them, but not the whole line. https://smilingwallaby.com.au/search?ty ... s&q=henson* Perhaps they are out of stock on some colors of the medium. You have the get the Ti version from Henson directly. I tried the mild/standard and then the medium in aluminum, first, before I spent the money for the Ti version.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

The costs are not the issue it’s the availability
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, the Ti are only periodically produced. The aluminum are available all of the time. Sometimes, the dealers carry the Ti, but they sell out quickly, even at that price.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Some eye candy.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, I won a contest. I have two more razors in the mail headed my way. What am I going to do with all of these? I might sell the lovely Razorock Game Changers. I have both the .68 and .84 heads. I am not sure, though. But, I really want another Henson. :grin-smiling-eyes I think I have a problem.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

You do!! You have RAD!