Shot Show 2022 - Off Topic

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kennethsime

Shot Show 2022 - Off Topic

Post by kennethsime »

Well, we all know Spyderco isn't the only knife company at SHOT this year (and some of us like guns I guess, too).

Please use this thread for posting news and updates, as well as discussing those updates. Pictures encouraged!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
MacLaren

Re: Shot Show 2022 - Off Topic

Post by MacLaren »

I'm particularly interested in what CZ has this year especially since they own Colt now.
Reckon I should add that I'm not at SHOT either.
Last edited by MacLaren on Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Well, FN re-released the Hi-Power with modern upgrades. I'm not there, but I have read that in several places today.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:56 am
Well, FN re-released the Hi-Power with modern upgrades. I'm not there, but I have read that in several places today.
That’s good news with Springfield Armory new release . Browning shut Hi Power down because machinery was wore out .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

FN, who made the Browning Hi Power, shut down manufacturing, but then re-thought the issue and set about improving the pistol. So, while the Springfield is a P35, the new FN has a few differences, including locking block. It also has ambi safeties and slide releases. It has a take down lever like the Sig. The pistol also holds seventeen in the magazine. There is no magazine safety so the trigger is better. At least that is what I heard.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Smith and Wesson has a new hammer fired all metal micro pistol that is lighter than the plastic ones.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Hogue is developing a lightweight Deka folder in MagnaCut.

Mentioned at about 4:57 of this video: https://youtu.be/xhqhxhg99js
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

mikey177 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:33 am

Man I've always thought the Hogue Knives were built well, but they seem to really be stepping into Benchmade's territory with their axis lock clone. DCA from Knife Center is real impressed with them. I don't think I need one, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one at this point.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:10 am
mikey177 wrote:

Man I've always thought the Hogue Knives were built well, but they seem to really be stepping into Benchmade's territory with their axis lock clone. DCA from Knife Center is real impressed with them. I don't think I need one, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one at this point.

I have their Ritter RSK model. It is indeed very well built.
hogue_ritter_fde_03.jpg
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I looked at a couple of knife related Shot Show videos yesterday.

The Tops booth had a Laci Szabo double edged fixed blade fighter about 5 to 6 inches long. Looked interesting to me.

https://youtu.be/KzwZR4SUbMo
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

mikey177 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:15 pm
I have their Ritter RSK model. It is indeed very well built.hogue_ritter_fde_03.jpg
Weren’t those originally made by Benchmade? Man, Hogue really is stepping into their territory.

mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:01 pm
mikey177 wrote:
I have their Ritter RSK model. It is indeed very well built.hogue_ritter_fde_03.jpg
Weren’t those originally made by Benchmade? Man, Hogue really is stepping into their territory.

Yes, they were. Benchmade discontinued the model a few years ago so Doug Ritter, the designer, searched for another company to make it. It was certainly a controversial move and was hotly discussed on other fora.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

The new 6.8 blackout will make a big splash. 1 in 3 twist barrels!
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:10 am
mikey177 wrote:

I have a few including the KC Deka exclusive. I had clip issues with thread inserts , sent back and was resolved . The clip itself is the only thing I not thrilled about . Smooth as butter right out of the box . The Deka is supposed to be revamped with fewer scale screws but not sure when this will happen . I like their new stuff older models not so much . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

kennethsime wrote:
mikey177 wrote:
The Ritter Grip was a modification of the Benchmade Griptillian by Doug Ritter. Money from their sales went to help fund his Knife Rights & Equipped to Survive organization. Benchmade decided to restructure and dropped the Ritter Grip, along with their H&K line. Benchmade wanted to focus on "In-house" designs or some such. While some wanted to give Hogue grief about producing an almost identical knife, others point out that that Benchmade put out the Freek that was similar to the Ritter Grip. A lot of conjecture that Benchmade was not happy with the Ritter Grip (and the H&K Axis-lock) taking sales from their regular Griptillian because the prices were about the same (H&K was actually less) while offering an upgraded steel (and G10 on the H&K). So the Ritter Grip got dropped and the Freek came out at a higher price.

I really like the Benchmade knives I have, but as a company they have made some decisions I just don't understand. I've handled the Hogue Ritter Grips and they are an improvement on the Benchmade versions. G10 scales, and better quality omega springs (Made by Wolff). About the only complaint I hear on them is a hotspot on the pocketclips. Easy fix with aftermarket clips, or just use a Benchmade clip that doesn't have the cutouts on them.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Halfneck wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:08 pm
kennethsime wrote:
mikey177 wrote:
The Ritter Grip was a modification of the Benchmade Griptillian by Doug Ritter. Money from their sales went to help fund his Knife Rights & Equipped to Survive organization. Benchmade decided to restructure and dropped the Ritter Grip, along with their H&K line. Benchmade wanted to focus on "In-house" designs or some such. While some wanted to give Hogue grief about producing an almost identical knife, others point out that that Benchmade put out the Freek that was similar to the Ritter Grip. A lot of conjecture that Benchmade was not happy with the Ritter Grip (and the H&K Axis-lock) taking sales from their regular Griptillian because the prices were about the same (H&K was actually less) while offering an upgraded steel (and G10 on the H&K). So the Ritter Grip got dropped and the Freek came out at a higher price.

I really like the Benchmade knives I have, but as a company they have made some decisions I just don't understand. I've handled the Hogue Ritter Grips and they are an improvement on the Benchmade versions. G10 scales, and better quality omega springs (Made by Wolff). About the only complaint I hear on them is a hotspot on the pocketclips. Easy fix with aftermarket clips, or just use a Benchmade clip that doesn't have the cutouts on them.
Well said , only thing holding myself back from the Ritter is I have examples already of the steel . I think it a nice improvement. MG2
Henry David Thoreau
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Thanks Halfneck! Great knowing the backstory.

Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:51 pm
Thanks Halfneck! Great knowing the backstory.
No problem.

I don't own a Ritter Grip myself. The Small Grip was too small in my hand, and the Standard Grip is bigger than I like. I do own one of the H&K Axis-locks. At the time you got G10 scales with D2 steel cheaper than a Zytel scaled Griptillian in 154CM. The H&K Axis-lock also was sort of between the sizes of the Griptillian.

Interestingly the Small Hogue Ritter Grip feels better in my hand than the Small Benchmade Griptillian. I don't know if it's slightly longer in length, or a difference in the thickness, but I liked it. I'd stopped at the Hogue booth at BLADE to check out the Deka, and sort of liked the feel of the Small Ritter-Grip better. Of course, Hogue also had some limited run Dekas that featured a deep carry pocketclip and different screw construction that I liked better than the regular production Deka. Guy behind the booth said they intend to incorporate those changes to the production Dekas too.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Benchmade Taggedout looks interesting. I've wanted a larger Bugout for a while... Not sure this is it but may be as close as we get.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade ... fe--137283
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I saw that one too... $171 seems like a lot for grivory and cpm154. At least it has a deep carry clip
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb