Anyone use a safety razor?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Pokey

Re: Anyone use a safety razor?

Post by Pokey »

I tried a new Personna blade in my Parker Variant the other day and found it nicking me where I haven't had problems when using a Feather blade. I've had good luck with the Personna blades in my original Van Der Hagen cheapy fixed razor, but in the Variant, it was a dermabrasion treatment along with the shave. Ironically, it was a pretty good shave, but I got lots of nicks and razor burn.

I tried a tube of the Cremo Original Formula shave cream and my take-away is when you initially add water to spread it on your face, it's fine. But, it seems to dry out quickly and get thick and sticky. Cremo says to add more water, but then it gets too runny and thin. I'm sticking with the Van Der Hagen Shave Butter I started with. It's slipperier, while thicker and just seems to get slippery again if you need more water. It just seems to stick on your face better, too.

It sounds like everyone here is zeroing in on different combinations of razors, blades, and special sauces that they like, and what works well for them. Not surprising, everyone's beard and face is different.

The only way to find out what works for you is to try different stuff. Just like knives. ;)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

First Shave with the Henson mild DE:

Finding the time to try the brush and soaps… geez, what spare time? During the week I’ve got to get 4 kids ready for school and lunches packed for them and myself. Not gonna happen. Saturdays, I make a big breakfast and gotta get kids to dance. Won’t happen then until my wife can drive again (broken ankle, in a boot now). Sundays… well that is my only day without regularly scheduled family obligations, so it’s my chance to get out in a canoe. No time to shave! What’s a Dave to do?!?

I shaved with the Mach 3 yesterday so this morning I had 1 days growth. I didn’t want to overwhelm the Henson with the full week’s stubble and didn’t have time to play with the brush and soaps this morning. I popped the first blade in the Henson and got in the shower. Used plain Barbasol foam and went for it. My first reaction was “crap, I should have got the medium version”.

I shaved in the pattern I normally do; down, then chase ATG. I’ve got a mustache at the moment so didn’t have to deal with under the nose, but did have the chin and lower lip. This razor gives very little feedback, at this level of growth, except going ATG I do get some audible feedback. There’s obviously going to be a bit of a learning curve to get the optimal angle programmed into muscle memory, but there’s no penalty for poor technique 👍

I finished up with Aqua Velva aftershave, which I think I prefer to the Proraso. I definitely got more sting from the aftershave than normal! But no nicks, no blood, no discomfort. Overall a fine shave. I’m delighted to know that I can just shave in the shower as normal so this DE safety razor thing doesn’t have to cost more time, or be put off, or cause me to have to get up 1/2 an hour earlier. At the conclusion of the shave I’ve decided the mild Henson is working out just fine. Time will tell with muscle memory and a longer beard if the mild was the right choice. And of course, I can explore other blades, but so far I’ve no objection to the Astra.

TL;DR

Great razor, great shave. Total satisfaction. Will use for a good while before changing anything.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I think I'm going to have to get none of these Hensons.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:55 pm
I think I'm going to have to get none of these Hensons.
Basically a no brainer shave as long as you get the angle right. The flats are supposed to be flat against the face. Then, the shave is really smooth and efficient. I got the medium, but my wife has the standard (Henson as standard, medium, and only in the Ti there is aggressive). I am not sure which I like best. Both shave really well.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

After trying a couple of razors, a few different blades, and two different shave creams I'm dialing in what works best for me. Outside of a good solid razor and quality blades, I'm coming to the conclusion that the number of days between shaves for me makes a big difference in the quality and comfort of the shave.

Last week I dropped a Merkur Super blade into my Parker Variant razor and got an unusual amount of nicking and razor burn. Earlier this week I used the same exact same razor/blade combo and it worked great, even with one use on the blade. The difference was not shaving for two days vs. not shaving for four.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Pokey wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:11 pm
After trying a couple of razors, a few different blades, and two different shave creams I'm dialing in what works best for me. Outside of a good solid razor and quality blades, I'm coming to the conclusion that the number of days between shaves for me makes a big difference in the quality and comfort of the shave.

Last week I dropped a Merkur Super blade into my Parker Variant razor and got an unusual amount of nicking and razor burn. Earlier this week I used the same exact same razor/blade combo and it worked great, even with one use on the blade. The difference was not shaving for two days vs. not shaving for four.
I often notice that shaving too soon after a shave results in knicks - is that what you’re experiencing, or the opposite?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:10 pm
Pokey wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:11 pm

I often notice that shaving too soon after a shave results in knicks - is that what you’re experiencing, or the opposite?

Yes, shaving every two days is rough on my skin, but every four days is fine.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I shave every day. I have no nicks and no cuts and no irritation. Technique is important, and so are the razors and blades used. Some razors are so aggressive that they do not do well on a lot of faces shaving very often. The razors and blades I tend to use glide across my face like a puck on ice.

Also, canned soap does not have enough lube in it and does not shave as good as old fashioned shaving soap and is not any quicker to apply, either. Shaving soap (either hard, or in a tube) will really make a razor glide over your face. Also, how you prepare, such as shaving as soon as you get out of a hot shower, or using a hot wet towel on your face for 30 seconds to a minute, will make a huge difference, as well. Then, there is the issue of whether the blade is right for your face, or not. A blade that works in one brand of razor will be terrible in another brand of razor. Sharp blade + mild razor = nice shave. Mild blade + aggressive razor = nice shave.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

FYI, best price I’ve found on Feathers without buying 200. I wanted some to try; these are reputed to work in concert with my Henson mild razor as Doc Dan noted above; mild razor + aggressive blade

https://americansalonsupplies.com/produ ... 25e3&_ss=r
Doc Dan

Re: Sal Razor

Post by Doc Dan »

For some reason I think @Sal uses a safety razor. I wonder which he uses?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

He’s talked about using a straight, but I don’t recall if he’s mentioned using a DE.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

You might be right. I might remember wrongly. I thought he mentioned it in replying to someone. Well, if he responds, we'll know.

I have a vintage Gillette Slim Adjustable coming, like I first started shaving with. I can't wait till it gets here and see if my technique is any better. They really aren't as aggressive as some of the razors out there, nowadays.

I've been drooling over a Henson Ti and a Yates. I would love to know what people think of these two. I already know how the Henson shaves. I wonder more about the Yates, which people also seem to love.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I found this on Maggard.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

AL13: You can untighten 1/4 turn to make it more aggressive.
Ric

Post by Ric »

ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Well, thanks to you lot I have an Edwin Jagger de89 on the way. A retailer was clearing out the last of the Xmas gift sets.

Weekdays I’m electric but weekends & big nights out I’ve been multiblade disposable for many years, so I’m intrigued to see how it goes!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I think you’ll be pleased! Many say they really “enjoy the shave” and I sort of thought, yeah right. But they were right. I enjoyed that little piece of “me time”.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:04 pm
Well, thanks to you lot I have an Edwin Jagger de89 on the way. A retailer was clearing out the last of the Xmas gift sets.

Weekdays I’m electric but weekends & big nights out I’ve been multiblade disposable for many years, so I’m intrigued to see how it goes!
It is a great razor. You will not be disappointed. Did you get a sampler pack of blades? Astra is well loved, and so are the German made Wilkinson Sword. If you want to go even milder you can use Voshkod or Rapira blades. I like the more aggressive, super sharp Feather blades in mine.

When starting with a new razor, I put the cap on my cheek and then rock it down till I get the right blade angle. I try a short pass and see if I've got it right and go from there. It is kind of like finding the right angle for sharpening Spyderco serrated edges on a Sharpmaker. Once you've got it locked in everything is smooth sailing.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:42 pm

Did you get a sampler pack of blades?
Thanks for the advice - I fear I might need it!

It says it comes with a pack of Derby Extra blades, appropriate because it was Derby’s advice on page 1 that got me looking at this particular razor and which is quite funny, really.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:18 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:42 pm

Did you get a sampler pack of blades?
Thanks for the advice - I fear I might need it!

It says it comes with a pack of Derby Extra blades, appropriate because it was Derby’s advice on page 1 that got me looking at this particular razor and which is quite funny, really.
Derby a pretty mild and not very sharp compared to others. Try them and see how you like them. Mine came with a pack of Astra blades, if I remember correctly. Try these (approximately from sharpest to mildest): Feather, Kai, Astra (green), Voshkod, Rapira, Wilkinson Sword. For me, the uber sharp Feather makes the razor glide across my face effortlessly in this particular razor, but my face may not be the same as yours.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050