How "In Shape" are You?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

Re: How "In Shape" are You?

Post by vivi »

decided to kick it up a notch this month. screw waiting until january!

12-2-21 Kickboxing at 9:30am. weighed in at 216. warmed up with five minutes of just kicks, focusing on head kick flexibility. did five more minutes of just kicks on muay thai bag then switched to boxing on aqua water bag. boxed for 20 mins., rested, then boxed another 20 minutes. cooled down with five minutes of kicks on the light everlast bag. ran a neighborhood lap in 1:43.16! blasted my old records of 1:50 and 1:47! I know under 1:40 is possible within two weeks.

12-2-21 kickboxing again at 8:30 pm, weighed in at 221. warmed up with usual stretches then just kicks until 8:45. boxing on aqua bag after that for 40 minutes. worked on general form for a while then did high power 4-10 punch combos to finish out cardio. switched to weights at 9:35. 85lb db shrug for 40. 105 for 21 . 20lb side raise db for 20. squats. 95lb/12. 145/6. 165/5. 215/2!. abs. steep decline reg for 32. side to side for 26. reg for 34. side to side for 20. dip stand leg lifts for 26. 60lb db side lean ab exercise for 16 each side. 75/16. laying down leg lifts for 24. 5 minutes of boxing, done at 10:30pm. 210 calf raises and 20 lebert bar dips at home.

the squat numbers are 200% embarrassing but it's the most I've done since getting my left knee smashed by a car in a high speed crash. I'll be up to 500+ some day!

My cardio is the best it's been. It's a great feeling doing stuff that used to gas me and barely breathing hard.
:unicorn
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Good work, Vivi!

I wish I had your commitment…
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Nice work! :thumbsup:

My one knee has been giving me a little grief, as well. I haven't done squats for awhile; switched to stiff-legged deadlifts in the meantime. I usually start my workouts with overhead press behind-the-neck, weighted dips, deadlifts, then barbell curls/block weight toss/sledgehammer swinging. Often I will throw in some grip or wrist strength training in the mix, although using thick bars really works the grip as it is.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:59 pm

My one knee has been giving me a little grief, as well. I haven't done squats for awhile; switched to stiff-legged deadlifts in the meantime. I usually start my workouts with overhead press behind-the-neck, weighted dips, deadlifts, then barbell curls/block weight toss/sledgehammer swinging. Often I will throw in some grip or wrist strength training in the mix, although using thick bars really works the grip as it is.
I like training grip strength and forearms in general. I do a lot of reverse curls, pull-ups, wrist curls, etc. Though I've been laying off the wrist curls and reverse wrist curls lately because my wrists are a little messed up at the moment.

I dug up some old photos for some comparison shots:

fall 2020 - hadn't been weightlifting or running, just cycling

spring 2021 - had been casually lifting 1-2x a week but still living off beer and pizza. wasn't putting forth much effort at this point

dec 3 2021. about 35 days since I decided to really try. was only doing cardio for the first 10 days.

I worked out every single day in November. Most days consisted of a run before work, then kickboxing & weights after work. Some days I hit the gym in the morning and night.

For comparison I worked out a grand total of five days in October.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Vivi,

It's a blast to work out. When I was in college in the 90's I made use of their student facilities.

Have Fun!!! :party-face
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:16 am
The Meat man wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:59 pm

I like training grip strength and forearms in general. I do a lot of reverse curls, pull-ups, wrist curls, etc. Though I've been laying off the wrist curls and reverse wrist curls lately because my wrists are a little messed up at the moment.

I dug up some old photos for some comparison shots:

fall 2020 - hadn't been weightlifting or running, just cycling

spring 2021 - had been casually lifting 1-2x a week but still living off beer and pizza. wasn't putting forth much effort at this point

dec 3 2021. about 35 days since I decided to really try. was only doing cardio for the first 10 days.

I worked out every single day in November. Most days consisted of a run before work, then kickboxing & weights after work. Some days I hit the gym in the morning and night.

For comparison I worked out a grand total of five days in October.
Wow that's a pretty intense routine! I'm not sure I could sustain daily (or even more frequent!) workouts. My body needs plenty of recovery time, so I usually go for 2 -3 times per week. Of course I'm focusing more on strength than cardio right now, which also makes a difference.

How do you handle diet? I imagine you've gone off the beer/pizza diet. ;) Myself, I just generally try to eat a balanced diet, getting plenty of protein and vitamins while limiting sugar. No supplements or anything, although I have taken some in the past.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

I try to get plenty of protein and carbs and a little fat, and work in fruits n veggies for flavor & vitamins.

Fluids is mostly water, and a lot of it, plus milk from protein shakes. No sports drinks, energy drinks, pre-workouts etc. Only supplement is creatine.

My big issue is eating enough calories. That's why I use protein shakes, because there's no way I can stomach eating enough to get all the calories from solid food and still feel light enough to do runs and kickboxing workouts.

I tend to snack throughout the day and eat a light breakfast and lunch, so I can still go running and not feel queasy. Then eat huge dinners.

Like tonight I made a wrap with two 300 calorie 12" burrito wraps, guac, bacon, pico, 12oz of mango habanero grilled chicken, cheddar jack blend and some cayenne pepper. Well north of 1,200 calories. Plus a 500 calorie shake, a banana, and a granola bar, and probably a snack before bed. So over 2,000 calories for a single meal.

on the surface having to worry about eating enough rather than too much may sound nice, but it starts to feel like a job, and despite how l much I eat I'm often finding myself hungry to the point of physical pain.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

So far, I lost 14lbs!!! Just starting to exercise now, no weights and there is plenty that I can do. Next DRs appointment is in late May and I am going to try and drop 25lbs by then. The goal is to lose around 55lbs, and get down to 170lbs.

Every day, I try and not eat before 12 noon, or after 9PM. This is called intermittent fasting. You can extend the hours that you do not eat. This is the biggest change that I made to my life so far.

I have a pitcher with filtered water in it that I slice up a lemon and drop in. I drink a few glasses of that a day rather than pop. Have not had any pop for a few months except for a few times that I went out to dinner, and I stopped sitting around drinking pop at home at least a year ago. Saving quite a bit of money not buying pop every month.

I eat a lot more fruit. I also eat a lot of Goya red and black beans mixed with sliced up tomato and penne pasta. Then let that sit for 5hrs in the refrigerator.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:24 pm
So far, I lost 14lbs!!! ...
Good on you, Nap!

Mate, for what it’s worth and I don’t rightly know because I’ve never struggled with weight but I often fast also. I do because I have my own theory that being, if you don’t drive your vehicle you wouldn’t top up the fuel tank if it’s already full. So I think we most often eat because that’s what we do or that’s what we’re supposed to do.

When I worked on construction sites as a young rigger and I couldn’t possibly tell you how much I ate but I burned it off and always sat at 147 - 150lb, the other boys called me hollow legs. Ah, hahaha! I’m a shiny arse now and only push a mouse around a desk. If I ate the same now I’d be obese, I reckon.

These days I generally have one good solid high protein meal early in the day and eat nuts, fruit, cheese, tinned tuna, anchovies and the like as snacks till dinner when I’ll have a light salad with plenty of olive oil or some yoghurt, or even just a cup of tea and a couple of slices of toast with honey or Vegemite. :winking-tongue

I have no idea of availability in the US but on the days I don’t eat per se, I have a couple of tins of Ensure Plus. Another little trick is to get plenty of fibre. Again, don’t know of availability but I drink at least one glass of Metamucil each day, often two or three. It’s surprisingly filling and smashes cholesterol levels.

Anyhow, good luck with it all and just don’t give up, mate. :smiling-cheeks
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

@Bloke, you're a good man.

[+1]
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:27 pm
@Bloke, you're a good man.

[+1]
Debatable, Nap. Ah, hahaha! :winking-tongue

Anyhow, I like to treat myself sometimes too. It’s 14:50 here at present and I’m smashing a galaktoboureko (like a vanilla slice just better ;)) from the local Greek Cake Shop along with a flat white coffee, no sugar of coarse. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :cheap-sunglasses

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
max808

Post by max808 »

Still on 1 meal a day but on a hard day will eat twice. Other than that some protein bars and a teaspoon of creatine in my coffee once or twice a week. By coffee I mean a triple espresso with a dash of yoohoo, up to half a gallon which is 4 times the advised amount of liquid you need to drink with it. I also read that caffeine helps to absorb the creatine in your system and it sure gets you buzzed when you don't drink it often. Been doing less pushups and working on forearms and grip strength more using a weighted bungee cord. Also some trap/curl supersets back to back. All in all some losses and some gains, put about 5 pounds of mostly lean mass on, though my love handles would beg to differ. 😎 But hey winter is coming and according to local farmers it's supposed to be a pretty severe one over here so the extra padding will surely burn off in no time...
20221013flex1.jpg
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
max808

Post by max808 »

Now's a good time around here for some Wim Hof method...
20221218212017dawntrip001.jpg
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Update!

I'm down 35lbs now. Trying to get down to 165lbs from around 235lbs. This is all just diet so far.

I cannot do push-ups, planks or hit a bag, my entire right arm hurts on and off for most of the day. Not sure what the issue is and am think of getting an x-ray or MRI to sort it out.

By Spring I'm hoping that I can go back to walking. Haven't been out for a walk in a year or two due to spinal stenosis.

Getting old is no fun, get in all the reps, walks, bike rides and runs NOW while you can!!!!
max808

Post by max808 »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:41 pm
Update!

I'm down 35lbs now. Trying to get down to 165lbs from around 235lbs. This is all just diet so far.

I cannot do push-ups, planks or hit a bag, my entire right arm hurts on and off for most of the day. Not sure what the issue is and am think of getting an x-ray or MRI to sort it out.

By Spring I'm hoping that I can go back to walking. Haven't been out for a walk in a year or two due to spinal stenosis.

Getting old is no fun, get in all the reps, walks, bike rides and runs NOW while you can!!!!
Good job Sir, well on your way to getting healthy again. Took me 5 years to go from 220 to 170lbs and have been sitting at 180 for a couple years now. Walking is a central part of my conditioning and since getting that B50YT with step counter it's not even funny how I try to beat 10,000 steps every day, usually to no avail. You do burn around 2,000 kCal in the process which is actually 2 million calories so stay grinding and keep up the good work Naperville!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

max808 wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:55 am
Naperville wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:41 pm
Update!

Good job Sir, well on your way to getting healthy again. Took me 5 years to go from 220 to 170lbs and have been sitting at 180 for a couple years now. Walking is a central part of my conditioning and since getting that B50YT with step counter it's not even funny how I try to beat 10,000 steps every day, usually to no avail. You do burn around 2,000 kCal in the process which is actually 2 million calories so stay grinding and keep up the good work Naperville!
I need to do something different to drop more weight. All that I have been doing so far is watch what I eat. I'll give it my best to go out and walk in 2023.