Bark River Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kennethsime

Re: Bark River Knives

Post by kennethsime »

Paraguy wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:05 am
The thing is they still haven't taken my money. They charge your card once the item ships.
Im a little confused about the DLT preorder. Do they charge you 25 dollars on top of the price? I also don't see an actual price anywhere.
The $25 is more like a deposit/down payment. When the knife is ready, you have the option to purchase it. That final pride isn’t known until the knife is ready, but expect it to be about $250-400 depending on the knife and options - mine are usually $300. I’m pretty sure they apply the $25 deposit to that price too - I don’t actually know because my only pre-order that’s actually made it to me was from KSF. DLT’s pre-order knives also come with a $25 DLT gift card which is cool.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:03 am
Paraguy wrote:
The thing is they still haven't taken my money. They charge your card once the item ships.
Im a little confused about the DLT preorder. Do they charge you 25 dollars on top of the price? I also don't see an actual price anywhere.
The $25 is more like a deposit/down payment. When the knife is ready, you have the option to purchase it. That final pride isn’t known until the knife is ready, but expect it to be about $250-400 depending on the knife and options - mine are usually $300. I’m pretty sure they apply the $25 deposit to that price too - I don’t actually know because my only pre-order that’s actually made it to me was from KSF. DLT’s pre-order knives also come with a $25 DLT gift card which is cool.
That seems like it costs a lot more than the previous runs. Didn't the green micarta version cost 207 USD? Do I have to make a preorder if I want one? I don't like not knowing how much I will need to pay.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

I asked them (optics planet) if they had any in stock and this is what they said:

"We are showing that this product is currently backordered from our supplier. At this time, we do not have an up to date ETA from our supplier.

We do support backorders and order hard-to-find and high-demand products for our customers continuously. We recommend placing an order for backordered product, as this allows you to lock in the price and your place in the queue. Orders are filled on a first-come-first-serve basis, so having your place in line ensures you receive the item as quickly as possible. While we do authorize your payment method when the order is placed, you won’t be charged until the order is ready to be shipped.

You may notice that backorder dates change and wonder how those dates are determined. We utilize a combination of product-based historical trends as well as direct communication from our vendor regarding their estimated time for us to receive their product in our distribution centers. While we strive to meet or exceed the estimate for every single order, supplier availability changes regularly, and we will email you when the ETAs change. You’re also welcome to check Order History in My Account for updated backorder dates. We show you the best estimates, which are not a guarantee, and we update the website as we receive new information from the vendor or receive product in our distribution centers. Sometimes it takes longer than estimated for product to arrive, however placing a backorder guarantees your place in line."

It seems that they are ordering from a supplier like Blue Ridge Knives.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:03 am
Paraguy wrote:
So you think a plain canvas micarta ULB will cost around 250USD + a 25 dollar DLT gift card so 225 basically?
"Some call me...Tim?"
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I cannot bring myself to order a knife if I don’t know the price.

I just wait for them to drop and snag what I can.

Like every other quality knife brand, the price of Bark Rivers seems to have soared over the past few years. That makes it hard to do a mystery price pre order.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:11 pm
I cannot bring myself to order a knife if I don’t know the price.

I just wait for them to drop and snag what I can.

Like every other quality knife brand, the price of Bark Rivers seems to have soared over the past few years. That makes it hard to do a mystery price pre order.
How many are usualy left do you think?
"Some call me...Tim?"
bearfacedkiller

I don’t really know. I have bought most of mine from Knivesshipfree and after a drop they usually have quite a few. It seems like KSF and DLT both get about the same amount. They seem to be two of the main dealers for Bark River.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:38 pm
I don’t really know. I have bought most of mine from Knivesshipfree and after a drop they usually have quite a few. It seems like KSF and DLT both get about the same amount. They seem to be two of the main dealers for Bark River.
How much do they go for at KSF?
"Some call me...Tim?"
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

I had a much longer reply but it got out of hand, so I stripped it down to this:

My example: I did a pre-order through DLT for $25 for a Bravo Every Day Carry in 3V. I went with Brass hardware, burgundy snakeskin canvas micarta scales and a yellow liner with a drop point. I estimated a ~$230-240 price based on looking at the others that were still for sale or out of stock but still had pricing.
When it was ready (May of this year) my cost was 222 out the door to finish the purchase. I also got a $20 gift card when it came in. So 222+25-20= 227 total. This matched up well with my estimate based on existing model pricing in similar style.

The other knife I bought nearly a year, exactly, before that is similar size was a Featherweight Fox River 3V in brass, snakeskin and green liners (this got me started in that pattern for 3V knives from BRK). It was 224 new and I did not pre-order it.
The Bravo 1 Hunter in 3V with brass/snakeskin/yellow&green liners was 285, new and I did not pre-order.

I might have gotten closer to 200 if I did something like Black or Green micarta, plain hardware and no liner. The way I saw it on the ordering sheet, the farther down the list you go in materials the more it will cost. Stay at the top and it wont be crazy. The burgundy snakeskin was near the bottom of the micarta list, then it got into other materials.

Looking at other BRK knives with those other materials they cost way more than the ones that do not use them. I also feel those materials are probably more likely to fluctuate in price than the more mundane readily available stuff.
bearfacedkiller

Paraguy wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:15 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:38 pm
How much do they go for at KSF?
The prices seem similar to DLT’s. I like both dealers. DLT has rewards but KSF sometimes has good discounts. I would probably just buy from whomever has the configuration I wanted.
-Darby
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Paraguy wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:10 am
Danvp wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:48 am
Paraguy wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:19 pm
Thanks, Dan! I went ahead and bought the ultra-lite I personally love the look of it above the aurora and after some research it seems like it's close in size with the Mora no. 1 classic which is what I'm used to. Although I'm glad that the blade stock is a tad thicker (.01) Would you mind posting another comparison pic with another knife I might be more familiar with (Mora, Spyderco, Benchmade)? Thanks again!

Youre welcome. The ultra lite is a good choice. And about the mini Aurora, tastes differ. I have made a picture with some other knives for comparison. Don't know if you own one of these to make it more relatable for you. Hope it helps.

All my BRK's i order from DLT. They make pictures of the actual knives themselves. So what you see is exactly what you get.

From top to bottom:
- Fallkniven F1
- Chaparral
- ULB
- Paramilitary 2 (yes, i know it still hasn't patina on it)
- Mora Companion

Thanks! It looks like a great size! How does the blade stock thickness compare to the chap?

The Chap is thinner. The ULB has almost the same blade stock thickness as a Police 4 and it is thinner then a PM2. Although the latter has a distal taper and the ULB is almost straight from base to the near end of the tip. I assume you one a PM2? Look at 2/3 of the spine from the base to the tip. That thickness is about what you will get with the ULB.

Al this talking about the ultralite makes me want to carry it more.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Maybe It's worth noting that KSF is in the same town as BRKT.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

kobold wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:13 am
BRKT is in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. KSF is in Tennessee. DLT is about an hour south of BRKT in Wisconsin, and have a claim that they "meet with the management team at BRKT daily" - I think they mean that Jason and Mike talk on Facebook a lot.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Rabbit with veggies, bacon, rosemary, salt and the ULB.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kobold

Post by kobold »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:39 am
kobold wrote:
BRKT is in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. KSF is in Tennessee. DLT is about an hour south of BRKT in Wisconsin, and have a claim that they "meet with the management team at BRKT daily" - I think they mean that Jason and Mike talk on Facebook a lot.

Sorry, you must be right, I based that on some YT videos I watched moths ago. Probably confusing with another dealer?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

kobold wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:43 am
kennethsime wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:39 am
kobold wrote:

Sorry, you must be right, I based that on some YT videos I watched moths ago. Probably confusing with another dealer?
You know, I may not be. I searched "knives" on google maps near Escanaba and found this listing for Knives Ship Free in Escanaba, with a Tennessee phone number. The KnivesShipFree website lists a Tennessee address also. Interesting.

My Gunny Hunter LT definitely shipped from Tennessee.

kobold

Post by kobold »

I think when BRKT moved, KSF moved after them.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Here we go:

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

KSF moved to Tennessee a few years ago, but they were located in Escanaba prior to that for a several years. The website probably has not been adjusted to reflect current reality.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kobold

Post by kobold »

Thanks for clearing it up.