College Football 2021

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TomAiello

Re: College Football 2021

Post by TomAiello »

I feel like the SEC is too big as it is. I don't really feel like Missouri is a good fit. Maybe Texas A&M is?

It just seems like we're moving toward the point where there is only one conference, and it has 72 teams in it.

If the playoffs were to put the conference champions against each other, that might help, by encouraging teams to move to weaker conferences so they could get into the playoffs? I really don't know what the solution is...it just seems like having everyone else join the SEC isn't the right way to go about this. What's next? Washington and Oregon join the 'No Longer Southeast Conference'?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

My goodness- The USC Trojans are set to hire Lincoln Riley away from the Oklahoma Sooners!!
Lol, Riley saw the writin on the wall- too dam hard to win an SEC Championship! Much, much easier to win the PAC12. That way he can always be in the College Football Playoffs....
sok

Post by sok »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:16 pm
My goodness- The USC Trojans are set to hire Lincoln Riley away from the Oklahoma Sooners!!
Lol, Riley saw the writin on the wall- too dam hard to win an SEC Championship! Much, much easier to win the PAC12. That way he can always be in the College Football Playoffs....
You will always be known as the person that told me Lincoln Riley was leaving Oklahoma.

It looks like Bob Stoops will coach OU for whatever bowl game they have. If they can keep this year's recruiting class together, they will be fine.

This whole thing may have been 3D chess to get rid of Mike Stoops as defensive coach. /s
sok

Post by sok »

Now that I have mentioned Bob and Mike Stoops, I guess I will throw brother Mark into the mix. Just kidding Kentucky.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

sok wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:25 pm
Now that I have mentioned Bob and Mike Stoops, I guess I will throw brother Mark into the mix. Just kidding Kentucky.
Bro, I am sorry man. I knkw that has to hurt.
But, I honestly feel like he flew the coop for greener pastures. It will be much easier to win the PAC12 than it would be the SEC.
Gosh, was there any idea that Riley was wanting to leave and furthermore, why exactly did Oklahoma want to join the SEC?
sok

Post by sok »

^^^ Bob Stoops leaving hurt. Lincoln Riley leaving, not so much. We just need someone at the moment to keep everything status quo through the transition by keeping players and recruits happy.
sok

Post by sok »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:35 pm

Gosh, was there any idea that Riley was wanting to leave and furthermore, why exactly did Oklahoma want to join the SEC?
There were rumors about Riley and LSU, but not USC. As far as why Oklahoma joined the SEC, money probably.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

sok wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:12 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:35 pm

There were rumors about Riley and LSU, but not USC. As far as why Oklahoma joined the SEC, money probably.
Ahhh.....of course. Thanks bro.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I can't see how Missouri fits in the SEC. OK, maybe, but not MO. Money is the name of the game, however. The SEC has always dominated. I remember back in the 1960's there was a serious disrespect for the SEC by the big norther leagues. However, most of the time when they actually played an SEC team they got a spanking and sent home. Football is a religious cult in the South.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:42 pm
Football is a religious cult in the South.
Yes, yes it is.

I married into it (I grew up in California, but went to graduate school at UGA) and I'm constantly amazed. I'd never been to a football game before I got married. But it's a requirement of my marriage at this point. Football culture in the south is like nothing else I've encountered. It's more fervent than most religions.
sok

Post by sok »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:19 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:42 pm
Football is a religious cult in the South.
Yes, yes it is.

I married into it (I grew up in California, but went to graduate school at UGA) and I'm constantly amazed. I'd never been to a football game before I got married. But it's a requirement of my marriage at this point. Football culture in the south is like nothing else I've encountered. It's more fervent than most religions.
I think this is part of the reason Lincoln Riley is moving west.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I feel Lincoln Riley made a brilliant decision imo.
Not only will he have a much easier shot at making the playoffs almost every year, but he also gets to live in sunny Southern California. He gets to go to Arizona, Arizona State, Northern California, Oregon, Washington, etc....beats the helll outta goin to Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee, South Carolina, etc....and dealing with that miserable murderous muggy HEAT! Not to mention, he'll be the King of Los Angeles-
Yeah, I would've done the same thing in heartbeat lol.
Now, I'm certainly not laughing because he left OU.
I feel bad for the fans. That's a tremendous blow to the program. But, considering his choices are what they were, I cannot blame him one bit. Imo, OU and greed are to blame imo.
Edit- this could be disastrous for OU. Just ask FSU, Nebraska, Florida, what loosing a good coach can do.
I really hope OU gets a winner to replace Riley.
sok

Post by sok »

^^^
I kind of agree with you that Lincoln Riley made a smart decision. He would never be able to make this kind of money if he stayed. He has peaked. He was born on third base and thought he hit a triple.

Mayfield and Kyler weren’t Riley’s recruits. Rattler and Williams were though and we see how that worked out. Oklahoma made Riley, not the other way around. I think he is a good coach but not great. He will make USC better. Think Mike Leach with manners.

Enough about LR. Not many Universities have a Hall of Fame coach in their back pocket. We do and he has been all over this. The narrative that Oklahoma is some sort of sinking ship is premature. They have been pretty lackluster the past two years, but have won the Big 12 Championship six years in a row until this year and won’t be in the Championship game this weekend. The last two years are a good look at what a Lincoln Riley team looks like.

Having said that, Oklahoma is still a 10-2 team and going to a decent bowl game. They are far from depleted and helped to make LR a very rich man. People will be standing in line to step in. Whether the right decision is made or not is yet to be seen.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

sok wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:52 pm
Not many Universities have a Hall of Fame coach in their back pocket.
Definitely.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow. Brian Kelly leaving Notre Dame for LSU!
sok

Post by sok »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:14 am
Now there’s a man running towards the fire.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

sok wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:30 am
MacLaren wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:14 am
Now there’s a man running towards the fire.
Hehehehe....he must be tired of Indiana.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I wonder who will coach ND in the post season.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I think Josh Heupel may be da man. It looks like he might bring Tennessee back to a dominant position. It has been a long time coming. I mean, TN is playing football like I've not seen in decades since he took over; and in a short amount of time, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sok

Post by sok »

Josh Heupel is da man. There were rumors that there was a rift between him and TPTB at OU but I can't remember the details. But the OU faithful still love him and consider him Oklahoma royalty. Great guy and great story.