Flat Earthers: Growing In Numbers

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Flat Earthers: Growing In Numbers

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Boom! Doc ends the thread haha!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:35 pm
Haha!! Good one, Doc! :rofl
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
remnar

Post by remnar »

https://youtu.be/KvAk9718Jo8
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:17 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
I couldn't agree with you more "Meat Man". I've never seen any of the Flat Earthers give a valid answer to that one that you just demonstrated. Not to mention the differences between the Northern and Southern hemisphere regions that they have no explanation for at all.

Like I said earlier I'm just baffled as to how this movement even got started in the first place. Also how would the different seasons be affected in different regions if their claims are valid. I try to be open minded but this movement has nothing I can wrap my head around.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

87017237.jpg
87017247.jpg
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

2779AAAB-2F2D-4793-B73C-DFA883E0B6A8.jpeg
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Meat man wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:17 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
I couldn't agree with you more. Also try asking one of them about the obvious differences between the Northern and Southern Hemispheres>> which wouldn't exist if the earth was a flat disc.

I do not have a dog in that fight at all>> nor would I waste the valuable time of a good dog to bother him with a pointless, baseless belief. Lately it's been mostly college aged young people I see here locally with their "flat earth" T-Shirts on. Go Figure????
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:01 am
If the earth is flat, how is it that someone can (for example) fly a plane east from the United States east coast, across the Atlantic Ocean, reaching Europe; continue flying east through West Asia/The Middle East; continue eastward through Central and East Asia; continue east across the Pacific Ocean, reaching the United States west coast; then continue flying eastward, back to the east coast, without having to backtrack the opposite way they had come?

Jim
Not only that Jim>> My Pastor friend who was 32 years in the US Navy who had been to all parts of the globe by sea and air during his active tenure told me that all you need to do to prove the spherical shape of the earth is to take a seafaring voyage around the entire continent of Antarctica>> which he claims is done routinely not only by the US Navy but other navy forces from other countries as well. That cat ( if it existed) would have been out of the bag decades ago IMO.

Also Ferdinand Magellan and his crew would have never been able to navigate around the entire globe as his crew eventually did. Any navigator ( past or present) could easily explain that their science is based on a round/spherical earth.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Joe,

I wonder if some of those college-aged kids with those Flat Earther T-shirts wear them as a lark, as opposed to actually believing it?

Yup, how anyone can seriously doubt the earth is spherical is mind-boggling.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:14 am
Joe,

I wonder if some of those college-aged kids with those Flat Earther T-shirts wear them as a lark, as opposed to actually believing it?

Yup, how anyone can seriously doubt the earth is spherical is mind-boggling.

Jim
Oh NO!!! There are most definitely avid believers in Flat Earth and colleges seem to be some of their favorite stomping grounds >> now I can't speak for each and every one of them. But I have encountered two of them recently from local colleges who are sold, "hook, line, & Sinker" on the Flat Earth Theory. The movement has gained momentum in several college campuses throughout the USA and Canada>> and probably globally as well in certain sectors.

Just the amount of videos that Bitchute, RoxyTube, and Odyssee have on the subject of "flat earth" is truly mind blowing. Which is unfortunate because there are some real people trying to convey real truths on those platforms as well.

Oh but do not try to bring up common sense information or valid points which challenge their viewpoints>> because they get heated real easily it seems. Brainwashing is a most interesting science.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:01 pm
2779AAAB-2F2D-4793-B73C-DFA883E0B6A8.jpeg
Hahaha!!! :rofl
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

While numbers in fringe groups increases as the total population increases, I wonder if the percentage relative to the whole population is growing? I doubt it myself. It’s more likely due to the Internet and social media that fringe groups have an equal voice and that makes it seem like they are growing in numbers.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

That could be it, and I don't think that too many people, really, deep down, honestly believe the earth is flat.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i like to argue the earth is flat with people occasionally just to troll them. it's fun.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:32 pm
It’s more likely due to the Internet and social media that fringe groups have an equal voice and that makes it seem like they are growing in numbers.

I think this is true for basically everything you read about these days...literally everything from movie reviews to political/ethical issues and I think the media and just being able to access information so easily is the cause of all of it. There are a lot of issues I see today on the news both good and bad that do not seem as extreme in real life as they're made out to be when I read about them or hear it on the evening news. All it takes is one news report to spread and suddenly a movie is either groundbreaking or total garbage, or this group of extremists have done this and it's such a major problem when that group may only have 50 people in it.

We've reach this scary sci-fi hive mind level where everyone is connected and we can share our thoughts almost instantly. What's most concerning to me is, if I don't agree with what I'm reading I'm only a few clicks away from finding a different story/news outlet that supports what I want to hear and validates my preconceived opinion and suddenly whatever crazy idea I have seems very real because I've got all these references that support it. Most people seem reluctant or even afraid of having their opinions changed and would rather live in an echo chamber than deal with being wrong.

I also just love the irony of the whole "question everything" mentality because it stops the instant the other side asks you to question what your own beliefs are and it goes in both directions.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Those are good point you make David for sure. I could name a bunch of movements and/or debatable issues that wouldn't have ever got off the ground had it not been for the easy access of the internet. The internet is a pendulum that swings both ways. It is similar to television>> you can use it to edify and educate or you can use it for fantasy and to a large degree a way to spread evil and malevolent lies as well.

That's one reason I tend to totally avoid social media sites like Facebook, Twitter ect. I can't even tell you all how many people I've talked to recently who have been burned by social media sites>> but for whatever reason they keep going back to them. If you all think that Barber Shops and Beauty Salons were major rumor factories in years gone by>> which they both have historically been over the years>> the internet does even more than that exponentially.

Just ask Jon Gruden if you don't believe me that you can be bitten horribly by e-mails and social media sites, even a decade after the fact just like Jon Gruden has recently experienced to a horrible degree. But there has always been a small remnant of people throughout history who have subscribed to the "flat earth theory" ever since time began. I've personally never been to outer space or lower earth orbit so I can't even say 1000% for sure>> some scientific facts I just have to take their word for. But when you factor in all of the obvious evidence I don't see how anyone could believe the earth is a flat disc. Like the one Brother pointed out>> it would be daytime over the entire planet all at the same time>> and it would be night time over the entire planet all at the same time as well. and we all know for a fact that isn't true. Not to mention the weather patterns in the Northern and Southern hemispheres and remote regions of the planet. Without even seeing it first hand I would have to conclude that there is enough evidence to confirm that the earth is a spherical ball that rotates on it's axis.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Joe,

As to how anyone could still believe the earth is flat, I’ll go back to what I posted earlier. There are some people who think they are too clever. They believe that because there is some deception in mainstream media, that therefore EVERYTHING in common/mainstream knowledge is false.

“They brainwash us into thinking the earth is a sphere, but I’m smarter than the rest, and I know that whatever “they” say, the truth is the exact opposite. So if they tell me the earth is round, it really means it’s flat.”

That’s an oversimplification, I know, and probably wouldn’t include everyone in the flat earth believers category, but there are a LOT of people who think like that, about a lot of things. Especially nowadays. Then they make people who really ARE on to something about other things look like idiots, because they get lumped together.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:28 pm
Joe,

As to how anyone could still believe the earth is flat, I’ll go back to what I posted earlier. There are some people who think they are too clever. They believe that because there is some deception in mainstream media, that therefore EVERYTHING in common/mainstream knowledge is false.

“They brainwash us into thinking the earth is a sphere, but I’m smarter than the rest, and I know that whatever “they” say, the truth is the exact opposite. So if they tell me the earth is round, it really means it’s flat.”

That’s an oversimplification, I know, and probably wouldn’t include everyone in the flat earth believers category, but there are a LOT of people who think like that, about a lot of things. Especially nowadays. Then they make people who really ARE on to something about other things look like idiots, because they get lumped together.

Jim

Jim,

It's because...

THEY KNOW>>>>> :rofl

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:39 pm
Jim,

It's because...