Flat Earthers: Growing In Numbers

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
me2

Re: Flat Earthers: Growing In Numbers

Post by me2 »

Thank you.

I also discovered a reason according to them for governments to hide the earth is flat. Some FEers propose the earth is a true plane, which means it is infinite in all directions. Some just say there is way more than we’ve been led to believe. Either way beyond the ice wall there is a lot more land and resources some entity somewhere doesn’t want us to know about.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

That still explains absolutely nothing regarding why a government would want to hide that. It's nonsense.
The cognitive dissonance displayed by "flat earthers" is stunning.

Please tell me you don't actually entertain that notion as reality just because some lunatic (or troll) on the internet proposed it to be true?
-Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:46 am
That still explains absolutely nothing regarding why a government would want to hide that. It's nonsense.
The cognitive dissonance displayed by "flat earthers" is stunning.

Please tell me you don't actually entertain that notion as reality just because some lunatic (or troll) on the internet proposed it to be true?
Gotta agree with you brother. The ignorance to even entertain the thought is honestly mind boggling.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

If the earth is flat, how is it that someone can (for example) fly a plane east from the United States east coast, across the Atlantic Ocean, reaching Europe; continue flying east through West Asia/The Middle East; continue eastward through Central and East Asia; continue east across the Pacific Ocean, reaching the United States west coast; then continue flying eastward, back to the east coast, without having to backtrack the opposite way they had come?

Jim
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:01 am
If the earth is flat, why can someone (for example) fly a plane east from the United States east coast, across the Atlantic Ocean, reaching Europe; continue flying east through West Asia/The Middle East; continue eastward through Central and East Asia; continue east across the Pacific Ocean, reaching the United States west coast; then continue flying eastward, back to the east coast, without having to backtrack the opposite way they had come?

Jim
Must be one heck of a ricochet off that ice wall :eye-roll
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:07 am
James Y wrote:
If the earth is flat, why can someone (for example) fly a plane east from the United States east coast, across the Atlantic Ocean, reaching Europe; continue flying east through West Asia/The Middle East; continue eastward through Central and East Asia; continue east across the Pacific Ocean, reaching the United States west coast; then continue flying eastward, back to the east coast, without having to backtrack the opposite way they had come?

Jim

And I thought the ice wall was supposed to be the terminus. Now they are moving the goal posts by saying there is actually lots of land and resources beyond the ice wall.

Jim
me2

Post by me2 »

I don’t believe it but it’s a reason. Access to resources others don’t have is a great reason to keep something hidden.
me2

Post by me2 »

James Y wrote:
If the earth is flat, how is it that someone can (for example) fly a plane east from the United States east coast, across the Atlantic Ocean, reaching Europe; continue flying east through West Asia/The Middle East; continue eastward through Central and East Asia; continue east across the Pacific Ocean, reaching the United States west coast; then continue flying eastward, back to the east coast, without having to backtrack the opposite way they had come?

Jim
The way it’s modeled flying East or West is just flying clockwise or counterclockwise on a disk. It falls apart more completely with flight distances and times in the Southern Hemisphere. On a flat disk the distances are much greater the further one gets from the North Pole.

It’s good to remember the FEers are not unified in how they think things work. For instance gravity doesn’t work on a flat earth the way it’s observed to work. There are a couple ways they try to explain it but both are problematic.

For those who wonder how anyone could believe in a flat earth there are some things that make it difficult to tell without sufficient technology. The geocentric model, where the earth is the center of the solar system, works as does the heliocentric model. Both predict the movement and location of stars and planets as observed with just the eye or an optical telescope. The geocentric model is a little less accurate and is more complicated, but it works.
me2

Post by me2 »

This is way older than people babbling on the internet. It goes back to the later 1800s and has had periodic upswings and recessions since.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

me2 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:36 pm
This is way older than people babbling on the internet. It goes back to the later 1800s and has had periodic upswings and recessions since.

Until around 323 BC really.

Then around the 6th and 5th century BC the word really got around more so that it was not flat.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:30 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:07 am
James Y wrote:

Jim

And I thought the ice wall was supposed to be the terminus. Now they are moving the goal posts by saying there is actually lots of land and resources beyond the ice wall.

Jim

People watch too many movies. :')
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:

Jim
Not only that Jim but it was like I was saying earlier that there are certain ways you can prove it. All you really have to do to prove the earth is round/spherical is to have a seafaring ship sail around the entire continent of Antarctica. Which I know has been done several times by our US Navy and probably other country's Navy ships as well>> and dozens of times too.

My whole deal in starting this thread is how something like this can grow legs and become an issue in the first place. Could Ferdinand Magellan's mission even been possible on a flat earth? And how could airplane pilots navigate on a flat earth as they claim? But it still astounds me how popular this belief has become lately.
me2

Post by me2 »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:47 pm
me2 wrote:

Then around the 6th and 5th century BC the word really got around more so that it was not flat.
Right but I was referring to the modern incarnation started by Robotham in England in the 1800s. The incarnation that clearly shouldn’t be possible since we showed it was round a millennium before.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

me2 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:11 am
Ankerson wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:47 pm
me2 wrote:

Right but I was referring to the modern incarnation started by Robotham in England in the 1800s. The incarnation that clearly shouldn’t be possible since we showed it was round a millennium before.

Nothing really surprises me anymore. :eye-roll

The conspiracy theories people believe these days are just as stupid, if not even more so. ;)
me2

Post by me2 »

Many have a small bit of truth that makes them more believable, like the geocentric and heliocentric models both working. If you have a model that is different but still predicts planetary and constellation movement there is the hook. If that were the only thing we had to go by we still wouldn’t know which was which. Actual proof is much more difficult to come by than thinking there’s no way that works. I am encouraged that there seem to be a few prominent flat earthers that changed their minds.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

This topic was pretty well beaten flat (pun intended) on this forum
for two years and nine months beginning in March of 2017.
Earth is Round and Orbits the Sun

Thus inspired, in July of 2019, I took this panorama photograph showing the curvature of the earth.
The iPhone camera sweeps from the Galveston Island Pier about ten miles to the northeast
180 degrees across the Gulf of Mexico to the San Luis Pass about ten miles southwest.
The corners of the level railing are on the horizon.
The bulge of the gulf above the center of the railing is the curvature of the earth.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The bulge of the gulf above the center of the railing is the curvature of the earth.
That's just CG. :smirk

Actually, most flat earthers I have met just did it tongue in cheek to be annoying to the occasional person that would fall for it. Sort of like the old guy that tries to tell you he really did see a Jackalope all the while hoping someone will fall for his really old joke.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

An even more incredible theory is the belief in a Hollow Earth.
At least that concept provided a venue that spawned numerous books and movies.
The latest is a new series on TV, La Brea.

The La Brea tar pit falls into a massive sinkhole taking out a chunk of Los Angeles.
In this version, the environment is not that unlike Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth,
except that it is also a gap that drops assorted Angelinos into the beginning of the Holocene Epoch,
a geological period that began more than 10,000 years ago and continues to this day.

Sadly, all of Los Angeles did not fall in
but it does allow for a soap opera that transcends time and space.
Last edited by Mad Mac on Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:35 pm
Now that’s funny!!!!! LMAO!!!