Ocean Depth Comparison

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Ocean Depth Comparison

Post by James Y »

https://youtu.be/Q5C7sqVe2Vg

Jim
TkoK83Spy

Re: Ocean Depth Comparison

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The ocean has always blown my mind and terrified me. The fact that we know more about outer space than we do the oceans on our own planet... that's a scary fact to process in my eyes.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:01 pm
The ocean has always blown my mind and terrified me. The fact that we know more about outer space than we do the oceans on our own planet... that's a scary fact to process in my eyes.

I’ve always had a fear of deep, dark water. I’m sure just about everyone does, but ocean (and many lake) depths are mind-boggling.

I heard somewhere that Scotland’s Loch Ness, if it were drained, could supposedly fit 10 times the world’s entire human population in it.

Jim
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

James Y wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:13 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I’ve always had a fear of deep, dark water. I’m sure just about everyone does, but ocean (and many lake) depths are mind-boggling.

I heard somewhere that Scotland’s Loch Ness, if it were drained, could supposedly fit 10 times the world’s entire human population in it.

Jim
Anything over about 12ft deep and I'm uncomfortable! If I can't see the bottom, chances are I'm not going in it.

-Rick
James Y

Post by James Y »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:25 pm
James Y wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Jim
Anything over about 12ft deep and I'm uncomfortable! If I can't see the bottom, chances are I'm not going in it.

I remember at age 6 being afraid of the deep end during swimming lessons. It was only about 8 feet deep maximum, and I could see the bottom, but the idea of that much water terrified me. I eventually got used to it, but I’ll never forget that feeling of anxiety I had at first. I couldn’t imagine having to jump ship out at sea, and swim (hopefully) to a life boat on water that could be hundreds, if not thousands of feet of deep, inky blackness below me.

OTOH, I’ve always felt a connection to the ocean. I like to be near it.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The video is an excellent find. I watched it here on a large screen and fwd it to everyone that I know.

I knew Lake Superior was large, and deep, but did not think that it would make it into a video such as this. It is strange but Lake Superior for all of it's vastness is being studied for rain-water runoff that carries farm fertilizer to the lake. Apparently green algae blooms have happened more than a few times and they are trying to prevent them. The algae is poisonous!

When I was in my early 20's I raced 16ft Hobie Cats, 3 times even venturing out on to Lake Michigan in one. The largest boat I've sailed was a 36ft McGreggor Catamaran. My boating days are over as I am not quick, nimble, or capable of swimming a mile if I had to. I don't know that I even have much of an interest in cruise ships after seeing that video!

:smiling-cheeks
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

James Y wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:49 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:25 pm
James Y wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Jim

I remember at age 6 being afraid of the deep end during swimming lessons. It was only about 8 feet deep maximum, and I could see the bottom, but the idea of that much water terrified me. I eventually got used to it, but I’ll never forget that feeling of anxiety I had at first. I couldn’t imagine having to jump ship out at sea, and swim (hopefully) to a life boat on water that could be hundreds, if not thousands of feet of deep, inky blackness below me.

OTOH, I’ve always felt a connection to the ocean. I like to be near it.

Jim
Much as I hate to admit it, I'm a little the same way! Trying to overcome it though...having learned scuba diving a couple years ago, all of my dives so far have been in Midwest quarry lakes with short visibility and cold, deep water. It's fun, but yeah floating on the surface and looking into the murky depths below, with a rope disappearing into the gloom 60 feet below..it's a little uncomfortable at first, lol.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I've never fooled around with deep water!
I can swim fine but, I stay away from deep lakes and as far as the ocean, i just walk out in there and play around like everyone else.
Edit- it's not so much that I have a fear for the deep like I do heights, it's just I'm leary of it if that makes sense.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

When my mother was in her early teens she was swimming in a pond (disgusting, but apparently normal in the 60's haha) and was at a part where the water was over her head and ended up getting her leg tangled in the vegetation below. Thankfully she got out of it in time obviously, but it changed her life and relationship with water ever since.

I heard the story when I was young and we ended up getting a 4ft deep above ground pool. She would go in it but never underwater. I'll never forget the day I was a typical brat kid, being like 11 years old and I snuck up behind her and dunked her under. WORST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE...at that point haha. She freaked out, was crying and jumped out of the pool. I remember my dad was weed whacking around the pool at the time and asked what was going on. I told him and he was pretty disgusted with me too. That's the first time I realized how traumatizing that event must have been for her.

I've been on cruises and have no problem with that. I've also done excursions where we were kayaking with a clear bottom kayak in the Caribbean, as well as snorkeling. Those were some wonderful times...but I could see the bottom in that beautiful, clear water.

-Rick
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Really cool video, thanks for sharing Jim! :)

I knew the great lakes were deep, but wow.. hahah I did not expect Lake Superior to place like it did on the charts. Although.. I've been out in boats on the water a handful of times in various locations throughout my life and the roughest "seas" I've ever encountered were on the ferry to Isle Royale, MI.. I guess I really shouldn't be so surprised that lake Superior is so ocean-like in depth!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The thing is, we don't know what lives there. We only know a little of what lives in the upper 1% or something. Something to think about next time you get on a ship.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! I’m enjoying everyone’s experiences and insights.

When I was about 10, I went with my dad on a father-son fishing boat excursion that was being offered by the gardener’s association my dad belonged to. Previously, he had worked for years on a professional tuna fishing boat, so he was used to being on the sea. That day, as soon as the boat left the channel, it was rough. There were white caps. I got really seasick. I remember the front of the fishing boat rising up (which seemed really high), then going down, then up and down…over and over and over.

My dad and the other men weren’t bothered at all; they were just standing there, fishing off the side of the boat. Some kid barfed over the side, but I have never thrown up easily, and I didn’t that day. But I was extremely nauseated, and I had a really bad, pounding headache. I never went to one of the cots in the boat, I stayed sitting on the deck or whatever it’s called. I do remember standing up once and seeing some flying fish and some sharks (possibly blue sharks?) off the side of the boat, when someone yelled out about them. I was hoping the boat wouldn’t go down with those sharks out there. One family was sitting right near me with a picnic basket eating chicken, and they offered some to me. I could only shake my head lethargically.

As soon as the boat retuned to the dock, the weather became sunny. And as soon as I stepped off the ramp onto the dock, the seasickness immediately went away. Although I could still feel the rocking of the boat in my legs for a bit. It was weird. If there is a genetic component to seasickness, I clearly hadn’t inherited it from my dad. He was fine the entire time. Needless to say, I never went on a fishing boat again.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:25 am
The thing is, we don't know what lives there. We only know a little of what lives in the upper 1% or something. Something to think about next time you get on a ship.

Doc,

Yeah, I’m certain there are a LOT of ocean creatures of all sizes, including very large ones, swimming around in the oceans, that we know nothing about.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

9 of the World’s Deepest Lakes:

https://www.britannica.com/list/9-of-th ... pest-lakes

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

James Y wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:40 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:25 am

Doc,

Yeah, I’m certain there are a LOT of ocean creatures of all sizes, including very large ones, swimming around in the oceans, that we know nothing about.

Jim
There have been stories for centuries. Scientists (not to make fun) have not given credence to them and then some new discovery will prove some of them true. I think we will find that more of them were true than has been thought.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah about the only thing more terrifying to me than outer space is the ocean. It's already being speculated that the octopus is "not from this world" which is a wild idea, makes you wonder what else might be down there. Maybe I just watched that movie The Abyss too many times.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

I'm less than a mile from saltwater and have lived on the Atlantic most of my life. We always had a boat and cruised up and down the mid-Atlantic coast for many years. I even crossed the Atlantic twice on a troopship, but swimming in mile-deep water is kind of crazy.
benben

Post by benben »

Enjoyed the video, watched it twice back to back. Don't know why but this made me think of the USS Indianapolis, one of the most tragic, fascinating, and terrifying stories of WW2, and history period!

Almost the best (worst) of both worlds, being in the ocean at night, surrounded by sharks.....after surviving the attack and the ship going down, Can't imagine!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Never been more than 700 feet down, myself.
James Y

Post by James Y »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:26 am
Never been more than 700 feet down, myself.

That’s about 680 feet further down than I’ve ever been…

🙂

Jim