Textbook HISTORY: How Accurate Is It?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TomAiello

Re: Textbook HISTORY: How Accurate Is It?

Post by TomAiello »

If only that silly Mr. Korematsu had realized that the government was doing it for his own good, and that they knew what was best for him, and would protect him and keep him safe...
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:40 pm
Stupid, isn't it. Racism knows no limits to its stupidity.

Extremely so. :eye-roll
James Y

Post by James Y »

Very few Americans even seem aware of (much less care about) the Japanese-American internment camps. But if it had happened (or if it does happen in the future) to THEIR group, they would be calling it “the biggest injustice ever!” And almost no Americans nowadays (and even then) are aware of the achievements of the Japanese-American 442nd Infantry Regiment (the most decorated in US military history) that fought in Europe during WW2.

Big-screen movies have been made paying tribute to every other ethnic group for their contributions for the US during the major wars (even dogs!), but not the 442nd. And I do not count that old, forgotten 1951 movie, Go For Broke, which only featured the Japanese-Americans in a patronizing way, as childlike supporting characters to the Caucasian main character.

I’m betting that, if such a movie about the 442nd did come out now, out of ignorance, many Americans, unable to distinguish Japanese-Americans from Japanese, would say, “But they were the enemy!”

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I try to keep an open mind about everyone but I think I've been slandered at one time or another by everyone but a Tibetan.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Ankerson wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:01 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:40 pm
Stupid, isn't it. Racism knows no limits to its stupidity.

Extremely so. :eye-roll
Indeed. But those who encourage it for their own ends are evil.

Race & religion have been used throughout history to persuade people to harm their neighbours, when in reality they probably have more in common with those neighbours than those wielding the power to persuade them. Corrupt history texts have their role in that, too.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

In today’s news…

Vikings settled in North America in 1021AD, study says …https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58996186

“Vikings had a settlement in North America exactly one thousand years ago, centuries before Christopher Columbus arrived on the continent, a study says.

Scientists say a new dating technique analysing tree rings has provided evidence that Vikings occupied a site in Newfoundland, Canada, in 1021AD.

Writing in the journal Nature, scientists said they had analysed the tree rings of three pieces of wood cut for the Norse settlement at L'Anse aux Meadows.

They said that using an atmospheric radiocarbon signal produced by a dated solar storm as a reference, they were able to pin the "exact felling year of the tree" to 1021.

It adds that the L'Anse aux Meadows camp was a base from which other locations, including regions further south, were explored.

L'Anse aux Meadows, a Unesco world heritage site on the northernmost tip of the island of Newfoundland, is the first and only known site established by Vikings in North America and the earliest evidence of European settlement in the New World. “
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They should teach about Robert Smalls in school. Honestly, they should make a movie about this man and I have heard that one is in the works. Again, the biggest crime in history isn’t skewing facts but rather the omission of certain facts and stories. This one is worth hearing. Why did I have to stumble upon this on my own?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Smalls
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:11 am
They should teach about Robert Smalls in school. Honestly, they should make a movie about this man and I have heard that one is in the works. Again, the biggest crime in history isn’t skewing facts but rather the omission of certain facts and stories. This one is worth hearing. Why did I have to stumble upon this on my own?

That's a remarkable story.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

bearfacedkiller wrote:

Wow. That's huge....
James Y

Post by James Y »

bearfacedkiller wrote:

An amazing life! I’m disappointed that I’d never even heard of him before. There are FAR too many great American stories like this that need to be told, but instead are overlooked and omitted.

Jim