The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by MacLaren »

Mike Slayer wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:50 am
MacLaren wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:38 am
That Grendel would be an excellent deer round imo.
My cousin has a CZ bolt rifle in 6.5 Grendel.
Man, I'm just gonna stick to .308 - I've got plenty of it in both range ammo and the good stuff smk and even some Underwood offerings.
I have a buddy that uses 6.5 Grendel in his AR's and he has a Howa Mini action in it. It's impressive what he does with it. That round is also **** on Coyotes and Hogs. I plan to build a few AK's in 6.5 Grendel for myself when the time comes. Since I can get 6.5 Grendel specific metal AK mags now I want to build my version of the perfect fighting AK. The AK is where my heart is at.
I hear ya Mike. I love my Bren 805, I have never liked that SPROING! sound the AR produces.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:37 pm
Mike Slayer wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:50 am
MacLaren wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:38 am
That Grendel would be an excellent deer round imo.
My cousin has a CZ bolt rifle in 6.5 Grendel.
Man, I'm just gonna stick to .308 - I've got plenty of it in both range ammo and the good stuff smk and even some Underwood offerings.
I have a buddy that uses 6.5 Grendel in his AR's and he has a Howa Mini action in it. It's impressive what he does with it. That round is also **** on Coyotes and Hogs. I plan to build a few AK's in 6.5 Grendel for myself when the time comes. Since I can get 6.5 Grendel specific metal AK mags now I want to build my version of the perfect fighting AK. The AK is where my heart is at.
I hear ya Mike. I love my Bren 805, I have never liked that SPROING! sound the AR produces.
Don't get my wrong I know and respect AR's but if I have a group of fighting rifles in front of me. AK's, AR's and other's are in the group I will grab the AK every time because I literally know it inside and out. I can fix it, rebuild it, tune it up and make it run like a welt built sewing machine. I can run it hard, fast and accurately since most of my training was taken with an AK. I will never say it's better than any other fighting rifle because nothing is perfect and that would be an opinion. People get their opinions and emotions mixed up with facts sometimes. I just stick with what I know and run best. I do own a Bravo Company RECCE-16 that I am pretty good with but I do still really want a Bren 805 and of course a Bren BR.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I'm gonna have to try an AK someday
What manufacturer would you recommend Mike?
me2

Post by me2 »

T.J. wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:26 pm
Just bought a Glock 40 for my woods gun.

I looked at one of those for a longer range pistol a couple weeks ago. Any opinions yet?
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:00 pm
I will be honest it's not the best time to buy an AK since the market for rifles and parts is high right now. If you were to find a good one at a decent price or went the custom route that is the only way I would buy an AK right now. Arsenal, Saiga, Vepr, Norinco, Polytech are brands I prefer and look for. The last four can't be imported into the states anymore so that sucks. If you are patient and search around you can still find a decent deal on those brands but being patient is key. If you don't mind spending more money on getting exactly what you want you can go the custom route. Krebs, M-13 Industries, Meridian Defense, Kilo guns and many others. Just remember to look up reviews and take everything with a grain of salt. STAY AWAY from anything Century Arms, I.O, Lee Armory, Palmetto State Armory and I will say Riley Defense but last I heard they were trying to improve and make better AK's but at this time I wouldn't take that chance. I have literally been into and pulled these apart to repair, rebuild or diagnose problems. Other's might disagree with me and that is fine but working on and building AK's for a living at one point I shocked at some of the things I seen. No way a lot of this stuff should of made it out of QC or even before QC. I personally think these companies choose profit and quantity over being honest and providing a quality product. In the end it's your choice so just do your research.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

From November 2020 (bonus $$$) since the Seconds Sale wasn't held here locally... :smiling-heart-eyes

T.J.

Post by T.J. »

me2 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:43 pm
T.J. wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:26 pm
Just bought a Glock 40 for my woods gun.

I looked at one of those for a longer range pistol a couple weeks ago. Any opinions yet?
Still waiting on my purchase order and license amendment. It can take up to three weeks. I’m in the liberal cesspool that is New York State.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

toxophilus wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:54 pm
From November 2020 (bonus $$$) since the Seconds Sale wasn't held here locally... :smiling-heart-eyes

Nice! Love mine.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mike Slayer wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:13 pm
MacLaren wrote:
I will be honest it's not the best time to buy an AK since the market for rifles and parts is high right now. If you were to find a good one at a decent price or went the custom route that is the only way I would buy an AK right now. Arsenal, Saiga, Vepr, Norinco, Polytech are brands I prefer and look for. The last four can't be imported into the states anymore so that sucks. If you are patient and search around you can still find a decent deal on those brands but being patient is key. If you don't mind spending more money on getting exactly what you want you can go the custom route. Krebs, M-13 Industries, Meridian Defense, Kilo guns and many others. Just remember to look up reviews and take everything with a grain of salt. STAY AWAY from anything Century Arms, I.O, Lee Armory, Palmetto State Armory and I will say Riley Defense but last I heard they were trying to improve and make better AK's but at this time I wouldn't take that chance. I have literally been into and pulled these apart to repair, rebuild or diagnose problems. Other's might disagree with me and that is fine but working on and building AK's for a living at one point I shocked at some of the things I seen. No way a lot of this stuff should of made it out of QC or even before QC. I personally think these companies choose profit and quantity over being honest and providing a quality product. In the end it's your choice so just do your research.
Thanx Mike. I agree a lot prices are still really high right now.
I appreciate that info!!
I didn't realize Norinco couldn't be imported anymore.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

toxophilus wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:54 pm

That's a good lookin pistola.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:30 am
Mike Slayer wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:13 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Thanx Mike. I agree a lot prices are still really high right now.
I appreciate that info!!
I didn't realize Norinco couldn't be imported anymore.

This was my personal Norinco MAK-90 I had to put back together because somebody took it apart to use as parts for other non-chinese AK's. I put it back together added some laminated wood and a few other odds and ends. I used it and of course it started to wear so I just helped it along and she became more beautiful the more worn she looked. Sadly times got hard to the point of either having food on the table for my Family or having one of my dream AK's. I had to make that choice which wasn't really a choice at all.
IMG_0150.JPG
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Mike Slayer wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:16 pm

This was my personal Norinco MAK-90

That's got to be the prettiest MAK-90 I've ever seen... but then, it looks nothing like a MAK-90. I have one with a milled receiver that I've thought would look better with stocks from Ironwood Designs. Are there any other options for milled receivers?
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:47 pm
Mike Slayer wrote:

That's got to be the prettiest MAK-90 I've ever seen... but then, it looks nothing like a MAK-90. I have one with a milled receiver that I've thought would look better with stocks from Ironwood Designs. Are there any other options for milled receivers?
Ironwood Designs is your best bet from what I remember when it comes to milled AK's like that. My first AK was a Arsenal Milled SAM7UF. As much as I loved that rifle I learned quickly after carrying it during training and looking at the aftermarket support for a milled AK's that stamped Ak's are where it's at.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow Mike. Now, that's what I'm talkin about man.
That looks perfect imo.
I'm really sorry you had to part with her.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:47 pm
Mike Slayer wrote:

Now you're making me look those up. I bought a MAK-90 when I lived in California (just before they became unavailable), and those Ironwood Designs stocks look like a great way to dress it up.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

This is a Norinco SKS purchased for $65 in the late 1980s.
It rode around in the back of my Dad's truck for 30 years.
During that time, a number of wild pigs and coyotes fell to it.
A while back, I added a $40 Chinese scope.
Then late one evening put down this noble predator at 200 yards.
My grandsons spotted the song dog and had to point it out to me.
I'm glad I did not disappoint them.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:21 pm
Wow Mike. Now, that's what I'm talkin about man.
That looks perfect imo.
I'm really sorry you had to part with her.
Funny thing was AR guys and others would look at it and say it probably isn't accurate. Wouldn't take long to show them it was accurate. 2-2.5MOA out to 400 yards with good ammo like Hornady SST. The Tula 124gr HP 8m3 would hold the same out to 300 yards. I still have a special AK barrel that I will build my modern grail AK on. It's a different twist rate with 5R rifling and chrome lined so it should be tough and really accurate. I will probably build it on a Childers side folding receiver and see about adding a adjustable front sight gas block combo and a ACR stock. I will have other things on it as well but nothing super crazy. I like to run Aimpoint T2's on ultimak railed gas tube. The T2 I have now is the same one I have had since 2013 or 2014 on the Arsenal SAM7UF I had. I have dumped the heat to her numerous times to the point I could barely hold it with a glove during training but the T2 still holds zero perfectly and keeps on ticking. The MAK-90 just seemed perfect like she was not to mention it would let me train with iron sights which is important to me. Optics might not always work so making sure you can run iron sights is important.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

Mad Mac wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:50 pm
This is a Norinco SKS purchased for $65 in the late 1980s.
It rode around in the back of my Dad's truck for 30 years.
During that time, a number of wild pigs and coyotes fell to it.
A while back, I added a $40 Chinese scope.
Then late one evening put down this noble predator at 200 yards.
My grandsons spotted the song dog and had to point it out to me.
I'm glad I did not disappoint them.

Nice shooting. 7.62x39mm is a lot better in my opinion than people give it credit for. I think most of the time it's the shooter not the rifle or caliber. Still doesn't keep me from wanting an AK in 6.5 Grendel though.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

A grendel AK would be amazing. Is there a source for a finished rifle like that? Or are they all 'build your own' guns?
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:59 pm
A grendel AK would be amazing. Is there a source for a finished rifle like that? Or are they all 'build your own' guns?
I know a few companies have either tried or are going to do it but they aren't easy to find. It would be quicker to have a custom AK built by one of the custom shops I mentioned earlier. Now that a company makes a reliable and quality 30rd AK mag for 6.5 Grendel having a 6.5 Grendel AK converted to take AR mags isn't the only option anymore. I do have plans to start my own business building mostly AK's. Just getting the FFL and SOT for manufacturing will be awesome enough since I can legally have post '86 machine guns at that point.