Anyone else watching the Olympics?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ChrisinHove

Anyone else watching the Olympics?

Post by ChrisinHove »

Whatever the controversy about even holding the event, there is no doubt as to the magnificent effort the athletes put into it.

The difference between this and modern “reality TV” is striking, and I find the coverage compelling, even in events I know less than nothing about, which tbh is most of them!

Anyone else enjoying the Olympics?
Sharp Guy

Re: Anyone else watching the Olympics?

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've always been a big fan of the Olympics (both summer and winter). This time I haven't been as drawn to it for some reason. I've been watching but not as interested as I usually am
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
James Y

Post by James Y »

I usually watch at least some summer Olympics. I had been looking forward to seeing them held in Tokyo. And under normal circumstances I'd probably be watching more of it, too. But I'm not, and the reason why is obvious. It's like watching the Olympic Games being held in a ghost town. It does detract from the feel and the atmosphere.

Jim
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I've been watching and enjoying a lot of the competitions. A girl from the high school my kids went to is in the long jump final Monday. I'm enjoying the beach volleyball and most of the track and field events. I'd have to say the best event I've seen so far was the gold metal table tennis match where Japan beat the reigning world champion team from China. China has dominated table tennis for years and Japan has never won a gold metal in table tennis. The Japanese team slayed the dragon (Chinese team had dragons on their jerseys) and went home as national heroes. It was intense competition. Ito's faster-than-cat-like reflexes were AMAZING!
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Been trying to. We really like Gymnastics and diving
And, I haven't saw one diving event as of yet.
I guess I need to pay better attention.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

There are still Olympic and World records being broken so the lack of crowds clearly isn’t affecting all the athletes.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

If watching the Olympics was an Olympic sport... I'd be heading to the finals! I've been recording as much as I can but my DVR keeps getting dangerously close to full.
I've loved that they mixed in a bunch of X Game type events. I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to see more of the surfing. Either I missed it or they only showed snippets of it.
The start of the men's triathlon, with that boat, was funny.
•• Beau
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've watched a little of it. Mostly gymnastics (my wife is really into gymnastics), swimming (my sport in college), and some Paralympic sports (my wife worked and travelled with the Paralympic rugby team in the late 90s and early 2000s).

I was pretty disappointed that they banned some of the Paralympics support staff (covid rules), essentially forcing some paralympians to withdraw. How is a blind athlete supposed to attend the games alone?
Last edited by TomAiello on Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Buddafucco wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:17 am
If watching the Olympics was an Olympic sport... I'd be heading to the finals! I've been recording as much as I can but my DVR keeps getting dangerously close to full.
I've loved that they mixed in a bunch of X Game type events. I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to see more of the surfing. Either I missed it or they only showed snippets of it.
The start of the men's triathlon, with that boat, was funny.
You can watch replays online. Nbc has hours of video. They have a page for surfing.

https://www.nbcolympics.com/surfing

Im a surfer so I was excited for it to be included. However I was a little disappointed they didnt also have longboard surfing. As I have gotten older I gravitate more towards longboarding/ more relaxed style. I also think the general non-surfing public would consider longboard surfing more "approachable" for people who may be inspired to try it.

With that said Im happy it was included.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:57 pm

You can watch replays online. Nbc has hours of video. They have a page for surfing.

https://www.nbcolympics.com/surfing
Thank you! Now i just have to figure out what my cable password is! :thinking
•• Beau