Water Filters & Purifiers

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mushroom

Re: Water Filters & Purifiers

Postby Mushroom » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:55 pm

I've used a Sawyer Mini for a few years while backpacking but just recently upgraded to the Platypus Gravityworks 2 liter kit. The Sawyer worked well for the time I used it, never got sick after filtering water while out backpacking but the filtration rate was slow and I just wanted something a little more efficient.
-Nick :spyder:
Image                                                                      Image

JD Spydo

Postby JD Spydo » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:10 am

I find it kind of puzzling that the Swiss made "KATADYN" water filters are rated so high in Europe but yet don't seem to get the same fanfare here in the USA as they do from across the pond. I've been told that even the Swiss Armed forces uses the KATADYN units almost exclusively. With the Swiss being so strict with their quality standards I'm amazed that those KATADYN filters are not more popular.

I recently ordered a couple of the LIFESTRAW filters that you can use to sip water out of almost any fresh water source ( even mud puddles). I've never yet heard anything negative about the LIFESTRAW filters. Everyone should have at least two of the LIFESTRAW filters in their survival kits.

ladybug93

Postby ladybug93 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:40 pm

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:10 am
I find it kind of puzzling that the Swiss made "KATADYN" water filters are rated so high in Europe but yet don't seem to get the same fanfare here in the USA as they do from across the pond. I've been told that even the Swiss Armed forces uses the KATADYN units almost exclusively. With the Swiss being so strict with their quality standards I'm amazed that those KATADYN filters are not more popular.

I recently ordered a couple of the LIFESTRAW filters that you can use to sip water out of almost any fresh water source ( even mud puddles). I've never yet heard anything negative about the LIFESTRAW filters. Everyone should have at least two of the LIFESTRAW filters in their survival kits.
i never went with lifestraw because i read that they wouldn't filter leptospirosis and i was living in hawaii. that's actually why i got the grayl geopress.

i'm guessing europeans have extra space in their packs for their bigger filters because they aren't carrying bigger knives or guns in their packs. haha
C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C130G, PLKIT1

vivi

Postby vivi » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:47 pm

I have a lifestraw I got in a subscription box. IIRC it has a filter that has 10x larger pores than the sawyer mini and retails for about the same price.

Mine stays in my bedroom. When I'm too lazy to go downstairs for filtered water I fill a cup from my bathroom and drink through the lifestraw. It fills that role well :p
Join us at the Spyderco Swap!

Current favorite: Pacific Salt

ladybug93

Postby ladybug93 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:37 pm

vivi wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:47 pm
Mine stays in my bedroom. When I'm too lazy to go downstairs for filtered water I fill a cup from my bathroom and drink through the lifestraw. It fills that role well :p
😂
C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C130G, PLKIT1

JD Spydo

Postby JD Spydo » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:29 pm

Well I'm going to do some more research on some of these newer water filtering devices you guys have mentioned. I just had a fishing buddy 2 days ago tell me that MSR has also got some new portable water filtering devices now available that are showing good results. I'm sure disappointed to hear that those Lifestraw units are not getting a good grade because in the past 3 years I had heard some good testimonies about them.

My buddy told me that the MSR Co. has a couple of really nice and highly rated portable water filtering units that he has had great results with. This is something I want to get right in case our present situation gets worse. Because water is exremely critical>> 3 days is about the maximum anyone can go without proper hydration. And having clean and safe water is literally life & death important as well.

ladybug93

Postby ladybug93 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:20 pm

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:29 pm
Well I'm going to do some more research on some of these newer water filtering devices you guys have mentioned. I just had a fishing buddy 2 days ago tell me that MSR has also got some new portable water filtering devices now available that are showing good results. I'm sure disappointed to hear that those Lifestraw units are not getting a good grade because in the past 3 years I had heard some good testimonies about them.

My buddy told me that the MSR Co. has a couple of really nice and highly rated portable water filtering units that he has had great results with. This is something I want to get right in case our present situation gets worse. Because water is exremely critical>> 3 days is about the maximum anyone can go without proper hydration. And having clean and safe water is literally life & death important as well.
lifestraw is probably good enough for almost anywhere in north america and many parts of the world. i'm pretty sure their website shows it being used in africa. i just had a very specific pathogen i had to protect myself against and it wasn't something the lifestraw would work against.
i went on an all day hike in hawaii once and carried 3 liters of water on me. i figured it would be more than enough for an 8.5 mile hike (the terrain is rough, which is why it takes all day). it wasn't even hot, but i was done with my water at around mile 5. we also got a bit of a late start, so we were hiking out in the dark and i was really struggling.
i weighed myself the next day, after i had a chance to rehydrate and eat. i had lost 8 pounds of water weight since the day before the hike. that's an insane amount of weight to lose from one day of hiking, especially since i drank 3 liters of water on the trail and had already had a lot more water since.
the thing is, that hike had us crossing a river over 20 times. i was by water the entire day. i did have a way to boil water with me, but i didn't have time to stop and deal with that because my car was going to get locked in a parking lot if i didn't get back to it in time. it's kind of silly to be right next to water all day and be suffering from dehydration. i bought the grayl geopress because of that hike. at any time that day, i could've spent less than 30 seconds and had 24 ounces of clean, filtered water to drink. it's a little inconvenient to carry, but i almost always have it on me now when i hike.
i also carry a sawyer mini with a rolled up bladder because it adds very little weight and will allow me to collect more water in case i'm not staying right next to a source to get more. i have a family of seven, so i need to make sure i can get more than just 24 ounces to carry over a distance if necessary. the sawyer is a good backup system for those instances.

Mushroom

Postby Mushroom » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:41 pm

I'm picturing a happy go lucky tourist bent over with their face attached to a life straw drinking from a swamp in the Florida Everglades... Gator. Or even in Africa, lets say somewhere near the Nile river... Croc. Going to have to choose the water source carefully with that one.

Though I just checked their website and they offer a multitude of different filters and purifiers. The actual straw isn't their only option anymore.

Also Ladybug, I would suggest looking into the Platypus GravityWorks kits. They make a 2 liter, 4 liter, and 6 liter reservoir kit that would be plenty sufficient for a family of seven. With the kits, the water capacity can be pretty much doubled too because it comes with a dirty water bag and clean water bag that are both the same size. You can filter a full clean bag and then fill the dirty bag, then both can be brought back to camp. Could be useful if you know you won't be directly next to a water source and really need to make sure you have enough for the night.
-Nick :spyder:
Image                                                                      Image

JD Spydo

Postby JD Spydo » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:02 am

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:20 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:29 pm

lifestraw is probably good enough for almost anywhere in north america and many parts of the world. i'm pretty sure their website shows it being used in africa. i just had a very specific pathogen i had to protect myself against and it wasn't something the lifestraw would work against.
i went on an all day hike in hawaii once and carried 3 liters of water on me. i figured it would be more than enough for an 8.5 mile hike (the terrain is rough, which is why it takes all day). it wasn't even hot, but i was done with my water at around mile 5. we also got a bit of a late start, so we were hiking out in the dark and i was really struggling.
This just goes to show all of us what a truly demanding survival situation can be like. And the lack of potable water could quickly become a life & death problem. It's one thing to watch one of these celebrity survival type actors put on a show on one of the cable channels in which they are staying in the woods overnight or are stuck in a desert for a couple of days. But the truth of a real horrific situation is a completely different thing all together.

Like I've said earlier in this thread most of us here with the exception of a few of you I'm acquainted with who have done a really serious stint in the Military Forces have hardly no idea of what a truly demanding situation is like in real life. And having potable drinking water is the one of the biggest problems one could encounter. Lack of food will make you uncomfortable but lack of water will outright take your life. I've heard of people going up to 3 weeks without food and surviving just fine but with lack of water most people couldn't last longer than 2 days in many cases.

All of this conflicting information about LifeStraw filters is a bit disconcerting. The Lifestraw company even paid Les Stroud of all people to pitch their product in one of his survival shows. About a year ago I attended a local seminar right when the COVID problem first manifested on disaster survival and they talked like LifeStraw was truly a dependable lifesaver. But after hearing you guys give testimony about the LifeStraw product I'm no longer very confident that it's something you could rely on. It really kind of makes me wonder how many people could indeed survive a demanding 30 day survival scenario. Boiling will eradicate most of the pathogens but now I'm not too sure about any other contaminants. "Water Survival" I'm discovering is a serious subject and is one issue that not many people are aware of how to deal with. GOD help us all if we ever encounter another "Hurricane Katrina" type disaster. I heard from friends who lived in that part of the country that water quickly became the biggest problem they were forced to deal with.

I've always got a relatively fresh 5 gallon jug of fresh drinking water just in case of a natural disaster. But I'm now doubtful if that would get you past 3 days at the most.

ladybug93

Postby ladybug93 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:15 am

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:41 pm
Also Ladybug, I would suggest looking into the Platypus GravityWorks kits. They make a 2 liter, 4 liter, and 6 liter reservoir kit that would be plenty sufficient for a family of seven. With the kits, the water capacity can be pretty much doubled too because it comes with a dirty water bag and clean water bag that are both the same size. You can filter a full clean bag and then fill the dirty bag, then both can be brought back to camp. Could be useful if you know you won't be directly next to a water source and really need to make sure you have enough for the night.
thanks. that's basically the system i'm putting together with a sawyer and a couple 3 liter bags from cnoc. i like the design of those bags better because they open on one end for filling and cleaning. the problem is the sawyer mini i have isn't threaded on both ends, so if i want to use it as a gravity filter between to bags, i need to get a different filter and i just haven't yet. so, right now i just carry it with one bag, but i'll probably change it out to this system before i go on any other hikes with my family.

i've got little ones, so the hikes we do aren't particularly strenuous. i haven't really had a need to do anything different than i've been doing yet. but, now that we're in virginia and the summer is here, it's probably prudent.

another anecdote:
years ago, when i was just getting into survival skills and i hadn't really considered water purification yet, i went on a hike with an old friend here in the mountains of virginia in july. it was about 100° that day and we were carrying way too much gear for an overnight. i had three liters that day too, and was naive to think it would last the whole trip. not only was it gone quickly, but i was suffering heat exhaustion. i had to lay down on the trail for a while and when i tried to get up, i almost vomited. fortunately, when we got to our camp, it was by a river and he had brought iodine tablets. we spent a couple hours replenishing our water supply with some extra canteens he had brought.
i would've survived that trip without the iodine tablets, but that was the first time i've ever been in that kind of situation and i never looked at water the same way again. i always have a way to procure drinking water now.

vivi

Postby vivi » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:13 pm

This is my on the go setup:

32oz nalgene goes in my edc backpack

1/2 gallon jug stays next to my driver seat.

7 gallon jug in the trunk.

I fill them with the sawyer tap filter. I also keep a Sawyer Mini stashed in the trunk for while out hiking.
Join us at the Spyderco Swap!

Current favorite: Pacific Salt

glentlor

Postby glentlor » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:53 am

We have Berkey BK4X2-BB the filter is great. The Berkey is easy to assemble, use and clean, and the filtered water from this device tastes great.

Return to “Off-Topic”