Short(age) stuff

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Spydergirl88
Member
Posts: 8415
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: Short(age) stuff

Postby Spydergirl88 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:40 pm

kiwisailor wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:56 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:22 pm
I scrapped one of my old cars for chlorine tablet money. A sentence I never thought I'd type.
What are you using the chlorine tabs for?
Water purification?

VoodooChild, is that Mt. Bike or Motorbike parts?

We have issue with wood supply here as well.
Timber mills were closing down everywhere past 5-6 years with loss of jobs, due to it being cheaper offshore.
We have been exporting unprocessed wood to China.
They process it into lumber and plywood, then send it back to us.
At a now, much Higher price, that is if it is available at all.
House builders just cannot build houses which adds to the chronic housing shortage here.
Houses are ridiculously priced in NZ.

Pretty much out of most people's range.
$1.2 million for a 2-3 bedroom weather board dunger in Auckland...
Swimming pool

User avatar
Doc Dan
Member
Posts: 10961
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 am
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Short(age) stuff

Postby Doc Dan » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:00 am

From what I see, good sense is in short supply.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)


https://www.facebook.com/fallplanet Author page

Telegram Channel: https://t.me/dandocthomas

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

User avatar
JRinFL
Member
Posts: 2261
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:30 am
Location: Unfashionable West End of the Galaxy

Re: Short(age) stuff

Postby JRinFL » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:38 am

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:00 am
From what I see, good sense is in short supply.
Right? I mean let's ship all of our manufacturing to a country who has traditionally never been a friend to the West. What possibly could go wrong?
Not every choiless knife needs a choil, not every knife with a choil needs it removed. Not every big knife needs a Lil' companion. Wharnie for the whin! Friends call me Jim. As do my foes. Used to be JR in CT with a much earlier join date.

User avatar
VooDooChild
Member
Posts: 1647
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:29 am

Re: Short(age) stuff

Postby VooDooChild » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:45 am

kiwisailor wrote: ...

VoodooChild, is that Mt. Bike or Motorbike parts?

...
Bicycle, mountain bikes, road bikes, etc.
sal wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:14 pm
... "The edge is a ghost"...

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Short(age) stuff

Postby bearfacedkiller » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:17 am

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:38 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:00 am
From what I see, good sense is in short supply.
Right? I mean let's ship all of our manufacturing to a country who has traditionally never been a friend to the West. What possibly could go wrong?
I don’t know if we will achieve herd immunity but we have definitely achieved herd stupidity.

Between covid, ransom ware hacks, blocking of a canal and some questionable political decisions we are learning just how fragile a global supply chain really is. I try to live a self sufficient lifestyle and I think communities, states and countries should all also value self sufficiency. We would be weathering the current storm better if we were.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

User avatar
JRinFL
Member
Posts: 2261
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:30 am
Location: Unfashionable West End of the Galaxy

Re: Short(age) stuff

Postby JRinFL » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:59 am

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:17 am
JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:38 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:00 am
From what I see, good sense is in short supply.
Right? I mean let's ship all of our manufacturing to a country who has traditionally never been a friend to the West. What possibly could go wrong?
I don’t know if we will achieve herd immunity but we have definitely achieved herd stupidity.

Between covid, ransom ware hacks, blocking of a canal and some questionable political decisions we are learning just how fragile a global supply chain really is. I try to live a self sufficient lifestyle and I think communities, states and countries should all also value self sufficiency. We would be weathering the current storm better if we were.
Agreed!
Not every choiless knife needs a choil, not every knife with a choil needs it removed. Not every big knife needs a Lil' companion. Wharnie for the whin! Friends call me Jim. As do my foes. Used to be JR in CT with a much earlier join date.

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: Short(age) stuff

Postby TomAiello » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:38 pm

soc_monki wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:55 pm
If you can even get a graphics card. Crypto miners buy them all, and what there is for pc people is outrageously priced. I was lucky to get mine and my wife's computers built right before everything went crazy. I wanted to eventually get a better video card (I've got an rx580 8gb) but it does the job well and I can wait. She's got an rx 5700 though, so a little better. Processors shot up right after I got ours as well (ryzen 5 3600 and ryzen 7 3700).
Crypto mining should calm down soon. It goes in waves, every couple years. When random people who don't know windows from linux are giving advice about what the hot new crypto is, you know that the crash is coming soon, and that mining profits will drop and things will go back to 'normal-ish.'

User avatar
jpm2
Member
Posts: 1130
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:40 pm
Location: TX - in the sticks

Re: Short(age) stuff

Postby jpm2 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:07 pm

Everything in my area has gone up 30 - 100%, except beer thank goodness.
Building materials, meats, and used cars are the most hit, that affect me.

User avatar
standy99
Member
Posts: 1105
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:07 am
Location: Between Broome and Cairns somewhere

Re: Short(age) stuff

Postby standy99 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:01 am

Meat is the result of one of the larger countries that export stopping export. (one month before elections coincidentally)

https://www.mla.com.au/prices-markets/m ... xport-ban/

Argentina, the world's fourth-largest beef exporter, shipped out $3.37 billion in beef products and leather last year, mainly to China, Germany and Israel. Following the announcement of the beef export ban, asking prices from beef exporters rose sharply.


The knock on from this is when the US, NZ, Canadian and Australian exporting price grows due to international shortage. Companies sell more to the export markets due to a better price than domestic.
You sell to the best priced market ....Export......which is way above domestic. But domestic becomes scarce so prices go up domestically.

When Japan had GFC issues domestic meat prices went down in Australia due to the less export demand in Japan.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.

soc_monki
Member
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:54 am

Re: Short(age) stuff

Postby soc_monki » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:53 am

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:38 pm
soc_monki wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:55 pm
If you can even get a graphics card. Crypto miners buy them all, and what there is for pc people is outrageously priced. I was lucky to get mine and my wife's computers built right before everything went crazy. I wanted to eventually get a better video card (I've got an rx580 8gb) but it does the job well and I can wait. She's got an rx 5700 though, so a little better. Processors shot up right after I got ours as well (ryzen 5 3600 and ryzen 7 3700).
Crypto mining should calm down soon. It goes in waves, every couple years. When random people who don't know windows from linux are giving advice about what the hot new crypto is, you know that the crash is coming soon, and that mining profits will drop and things will go back to 'normal-ish.'
As long as the cards get sold off. I see a shorage of new cards for a while considering the silicon shortage. The plant in china going boom ain't gonna help any! I can only imagine what happened. My first job as an electrician was to help build a silicon plant...that place is ripe for any number of incidents. I wouldn't work at a working silicon plant unless the pay was considerable...and I mean, ridiculous kind of pay.
Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman

User avatar
JRinFL
Member
Posts: 2261
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:30 am
Location: Unfashionable West End of the Galaxy

Re: Short(age) stuff

Postby JRinFL » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:36 pm

If there is a shortage of plywood and other wood products this year and if the hurricane season is bad, then it going to be very bad for the South East coast and Florida. I don’t even want to think how bad it will be for the people of the Islands.
Not every choiless knife needs a choil, not every knife with a choil needs it removed. Not every big knife needs a Lil' companion. Wharnie for the whin! Friends call me Jim. As do my foes. Used to be JR in CT with a much earlier join date.

kiwisailor
Member
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:26 pm
Location: Northern New Zealand

Re: Short(age) stuff

Postby kiwisailor » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:24 pm

As long as the cards get sold off. I see a shorage of new cards for a while considering the silicon shortage. The plant in china going boom ain't gonna help any! I can only imagine what happened. My first job as an electrician was to help build a silicon plant...that place is ripe for any number of incidents. I wouldn't work at a working silicon plant unless the pay was considerable...and I mean, ridiculous kind of pay.
[/quote]

Hi, had no idea that the manufacturing process was so dangerous..
Care to elaborate why ?


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: James Y, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 13 guests