Sharpened A Coworker's Knife

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Pokey

Sharpened A Coworker's Knife

Post by Pokey »

I'm working with a new bunch of coworkers. Judging from the number of pocket clips I see about 90% of them carry a knife. I noticed one kid, an engineer, with a knife clipped in his left front pocket, (he's one of the oppressed 10%,) but it was set up for right pocket carry. It turns out he bought it on Fleabay, and it has aftermarket jade G-10 scales that are for righthand carry only. He didn't even realize there was a problem; he makes it work.

He was showing it to me and I noticed the pivot screw had backed way out. I looked at the edge and noticed there were small notches in it and it was very dull. Despite not being ideal, he really liked it. He's always interested in seeing what I and the other guys are carrying, so I asked him if he wanted me to sharpen it, and he jumped at the chance.

The blade was 154 CM so I thought it would be fairly easy to bring it back to shaving sharp. I flattened the edge down almost to the bottom of the deepest nick in the blade using the brown Spyderco Whet Stone. Then, I went through the usual progression of diamond, CBN, brown and white Tri-Angles using the SharpMaker. I used the 30° setting for the edge bevel then switched to the 40° side for a micro-bevel. I used acetone to get the gunk off of the blade, blew the dust bunnies out of the interior, oiled up the bronze bushings, and put removable Locktite on the pivot screw. (The spa treatment.) I put it in a Zip-Loc bag along with a band-aid and took it to work.

I handed it to him the next day and he asked, "What's the band-aid for?" I said you'll see. A few minutes later I walked over to a bunch of the guys and one of them showed me where he used the knife to shave the hair on part of his arm, and naturally, he cut himself. (The kid then knew what the band-aid was for.) I told the guy who cut himself I'd have to give him a time-out, and that he'd have to hand over his Manix 2 G-10, black blade. (Fat chance!)

The kid with the knife was as happy as a bi-valve mollusk that it was cleaned up and sharp enough to shave with. He even walked over later and effortlessly sliced some of the material we use with a big grin on his face.

Boy, that 154 CM and the SharpMaker make me look good. ;) :D
Naperville

Re: Sharpened A Coworker's Knife

Post by Naperville »

That was really nice of you to help that guy out. He may become a knife nut!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Now you need to teach him how to sharpen and care for his knives. Pass along the skills.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I sharpened a kitchen knife for a friend once. Yep, his wife cut herself later that day.
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

Great story and nice touch with the Band-Aid. :D
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

chuck_roxas45 wrote: I sharpened a kitchen knife for a friend once. Yep, his wife cut herself later that day.
She may have been used to the old more dulled blade not the newer high performance blade. It takes a little getting used to.

I was in a shop recently and the owner was showing me a knife. Before he did though he said, “And of course, it’s sharp.” He’s known me for years so he really wasn’t too worried about me cutting myself. But he did say he is astounded by the number of people he warns about how sharp the knives are and they run their fingers along the edge and cut themselves. Then they say something like, “Wow, that IS sharp.”
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have sharpened a lot of knives for people and quite a few times people have complained about them being too sharp and have even requested that I get them less sharp next time.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Pokey wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 7:02 am
chuck_roxas45 wrote: I sharpened a kitchen knife for a friend once. Yep, his wife cut herself later that day.
She may have been used to the old more dulled blade not the newer high performance blade. It takes a little getting used to.

I was in a shop recently and the owner was showing me a knife. Before he did though he said, “And of course, it’s sharp.” He’s known me for years so he really wasn’t too worried about me cutting myself. But he did say he is astounded by the number of people he warns about how sharp the knives are and they run their fingers along the edge and cut themselves. Then they say something like, “Wow, that IS sharp.”
I think some people judge how sharp a knife is by how much they bleed after handling it.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Pokey wrote:
But he did say he is astounded by the number of people he warns about how sharp the knives are and they run their fingers along the edge and cut themselves. Then they say something like, “Wow, that IS sharp.”
I've never understood running your finger along an edge. To test sharpness, I lightly press my thumb perpendicular to the edge and then stop but never run it along and down the edge. If you perform a cutting motion, it will cut! Even with a dull blade. Lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A lot of people are terrified of sharp knives. Even if you tell them a dull knife is dangerous, takes more effort to use, etc. they will not listen. If you cut something easily with one of your own sharp knives they will inevitably remark, "Wow! That knife is really sharp!" and back away. (Although, once I was cutting through something and the knife came out and hit my hand and I was glad it was not sharper. Not my knife).

Good that you were able to sharpen your co-worker's knife and make him proud of it. Maybe you will be able to teach him more things, perhaps even mod his scales for him.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 7:42 am
Good that you were able to sharpen your co-worker's knife and make him proud of it. Maybe you will be able to teach him more things, perhaps even mod his scales for him.
OldHoosier62 mentioned above showing him how to sharpen knives. You’ve mentioned about modding the scales. I’m not sure he’d be interested, plus he’s young and married, so his priority's may not be in spending money on knife stuff.

I let him try out the same model of knife with the original scales and set up for left pocket carry. I don’t know if he’d be interested in me swapping scales or not.

He does wear t-shirts with a lot of fishing branded logos. Maybe that’s his hobby.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Sharpening his knife was a nice gesture. Reminds me that some of mine could use a good stropping, now that I have an old belt.
Regular carrier: zome green Delica 4
Occasional/situational carrier: Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Pokey wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 9:05 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 7:42 am
OldHoosier62 mentioned above showing him how to sharpen knives. You’ve mentioned about modding the scales. I’m not sure he’d be interested, plus he’s young and married, so his priority's may not be in spending money on knife stuff.

I let him try out the same model of knife with the original scales and set up for left pocket carry. I don’t know if he’d be interested in me swapping scales or not.

He does wear t-shirts with a lot of fishing branded logos. Maybe that’s his hobby.
I was wondering if his current scales could be modded to make them more functional for him in some manner.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Pokey wrote:

Yes, Most people don't even know what sharp is. I have to dull down the kitchen knife that my wife uses because she refuses to use the one that is sharpened to my taste.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 6:22 pm
I was wondering if his current scales could be modded to make them more functional for him in some manner.
Hey Doc,

He essentially needs the flat area and the three screw holes as shown on this Mini Griptilian. On his scales those are missing. It’s just rounded G-10 on the left side. I think he bought the knife & scales without realizing it’s dedicated righthand/tip up carry. It also has a glow in the dark back spacer, too.
Attachments
3DB6DD65-ED69-4266-81A2-6786C0FA27CB.jpeg
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

When I sharpen someone's knife I always give it back to them with a verbal disclaimer. "This knife is very sharp and once it leaves my hands I'm not responsible for what happens. Be careful."