Covid-19 vaccination starting (UK)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: Covid-19 vaccination starting (UK)

Postby Ankerson » Sat May 15, 2021 9:42 am

TomAiello wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:40 am
All I am doing is copying and pasting the CDC guidelines.

Copying someone else's information and saying it is their information cannot be false.

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say here.

YOU forgot to add the EXECPT..... in your statement which would have actually made it factual.

Without those things it is a false statement and misleading at best.

And could get people in serious trouble if they take it as stated.

TomAiello

Postby TomAiello » Sat May 15, 2021 9:49 am

I think the 'basically' in my statement implied that in basically all situations (except those specifically called out as exceptions, which I had also included in the quoted text), the CDC was saying...

I also assumed that adding a link to the full CDC document would imply a reference to (shockingly) the full CDC document.

I do not think that my statement was likely to 'get people in serious trouble'. How the heck could it do that?

But hey, read it however you want. If you want to go overboard about a semantic difference, I guess that's your right. It's my right to think that you are being intentionally obtuse and argumentative, for no real reason. :)

Ankerson

Postby Ankerson » Sat May 15, 2021 9:54 am

TomAiello wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:49 am
I think the 'basically' in my statement implied that in basically all situations (except those specifically called out as exceptions, duh), the CDC was saying...

I also assumed that adding a link to the full CDC document would imply a reference to (shockingly) the full CDC document.

But hey, read it however you want. If you want to go overboard about a semantic difference, I guess that's your right.

I didn't write it, you did.

I didn't write it and leave out the exceptions, you did.

Taken as you worded it alone someone or people would and can actually take it as you stated it and be wrong.

False information.

There is zero doubt here.

TomAiello

Postby TomAiello » Sat May 15, 2021 9:57 am

My post included the parts you highlighted in yellow. Are those the parts you are saying that I was 'leaving out'?

Ankerson

Postby Ankerson » Sat May 15, 2021 10:00 am

TomAiello wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:57 am
My post included the parts you highlighted in yellow. Are those the parts you are saying that I was 'leaving out'?

You included none of those in your blanket statement.

So your statement could be taken completely out of context.

Especially these days.

As in the CDC said.... Enter your statement alone. And that's all some would actually read.... A lot of people...

They would be wrong.

James Y

Postby James Y » Sat May 15, 2021 10:06 am

TomAiello wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:33 am
James Y wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:56 am
Russian Roulette is a great way of putting it. They’re not just playing it with themselves, but with everybody else’s well-being, too.
I disagree.

So far, the best statistics available indicate that a vaccinated person has roughly a 0.01% chance of contracting Covid. As of My 4, more than 105 million people have been fully vaccinated, and there have been 9245 cases of vaccinated persons becoming infected reported to the CDC. There have been 132 deaths in the 9245 cases of which 20 were asymptomatic or not related to covid (meaning they died from some other condition). So we have 112 covid deaths in vaccinated individuals in the USA, from an initial vaccinated population of 105 million (which was still skewed toward older people as of May 4, because of vaccine roll out schedules).

Compare this to the chance of contracting influenza in a normal year (2018-2019). In the 2018-2019 flu season, 42 million people contracted influenza (per CDC estimates), and of those 61,200 died from influenza. So the death rate from influenza is 0.14% (higher than the death rate from covid amongst vaccinated persons).

People have a right to make their own health care decisions. Their decision not to get vaccinated doesn't 'play Russian Roulette' with my health, any more than seasonal influenza does. People choosing not to be vaccinated are not noticeably impacting anyone's well being except their own. I'm fully vaccinated. My risks from Covid are the same (or less, most likely) as my risks from the flu. If I'm not comfortable with the normal risks of the flu, I ought to have been living in a bubble for the last 40 years.

Right. But until everybody else is fully vaccinated, it is playing Russian Roulette with everybody else’s well-being, except those others who are fully-vaccinated. You can’t just tell who is and who isn’t while out and about. And at this point, not everybody who wants to be vaccinated are fully-vaccinated yet.

Jim

TomAiello

Postby TomAiello » Sat May 15, 2021 10:14 am

James Y wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 10:06 am
But until everybody else is fully vaccinated, it is playing Russian Roulette with everybody else’s well-being, except those others who are fully-vaccinated. You can’t just tell who is and who isn’t while out and about. And at this point, not everybody who wants to be vaccinated are fully-vaccinated yet.
I would agree that if vaccines are still not available to people who wish to be vaccinated, they would be put at additional risk. What percentage of Americans who want to be vaccinated have not had the chance to do so?

That's a serious question, and I don't know the answer to it.

Where I live, it's been more than a month since vaccinations were available to the general population. We have walk in same day availability of vaccines for people 13 and older.

How many people who want to be vaccinated aren't able to do so in your area? Here, pretty much everyone who wants the vaccine can have it. In that environment, masks aren't terribly important.

I'm still wearing a mask in the local stores (private property) that require it, because it's their right to require whatever they want as a condition for entering their property. I'll continue to do so as long as the property owner wants. I'm free to patronize business (or not) based on a variety of factors, and eventually mask requirements may become one of them, although at this point they're not. I think our grocery store (Winco) is still requiring masks (today), and yesterday when I was at Home Depot they still had a mask requirement, but the other stores I generally shop at (Costco, Walmart, Target, and all the small local merchants) have removed the signs from their entrances asking people to wear masks. That means I'm wearing a mask in Winco and Home Depot, but not in the other stores. That seems reasonable to me.

People who choose not to be vaccinated, and therefore wish to continue wearing a mask to reduce their own risks, still have options for fully masked shopping at this point, although I expect those will diminish. Still, delivery services and subside pickup are still available for those individuals.

Ankerson

Postby Ankerson » Sat May 15, 2021 11:57 am

I doubt anyone really knows that answer right now and won't until the real data is all added up in the end.

Other than that one really can't believe the polls etc. at this point.

So it's anyone's guess.

vivi

Postby vivi » Sat May 15, 2021 2:22 pm

JRinFL wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:21 am
My wife’s co-worker’s whole family contracted COVID and the symptoms varied from flu-like to severe. Their 15 year old son has long term lung issues from it and will need long term treatment.

Still, many are willing to play Russian roulette with it.
In Russian roulette one of the chambers has a bullet.

In my small town of 5,000 I don't know anyone that has covid.

I don't consider walking near strangers that may or may not have a virus that may or may not spread to me the same as playing with a loaded gun.
Join us at the Spyderco Swap!

Current favorite: M4 Native Chief

JRinFL

Postby JRinFL » Sat May 15, 2021 2:34 pm

In Russian Roulette you know there is one bullet in the cylinder. In your town there are 5000 chambers any of which could be loaded, i.e. an asymptotic carrier. That person might even be you unless you been tested and the person walking by you could be a highly susceptible person.

Spin the wheel, take your chances. I cannot and will not control another and I’ve always felt the masks rules should always be voluntary for the general public. For myself, I wore the mask without complaint and I’ll wear one now after being vaccinated if it makes the other person more comfortable.

As with everything, YMMV.
Not every choiless knife needs a choil, not every knife with a choil needs it removed. Not every big knife needs a Lil' companion. Wharnie for the whin! Friends call me Jim. As do my foes. Used to be JR in CT with a much earlier join date.

vivi

Postby vivi » Sat May 15, 2021 2:48 pm

JRinFL wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 2:34 pm
In Russian Roulette you know there is one bullet in the cylinder. In your town there are 5000 chambers any of which could be loaded, i.e. an asymptotic carrier. That person might even be you unless you been tested and the person walking by you could be a highly susceptible person.

Spin the wheel, take your chances. I cannot and will not control another and I’ve always felt the masks rules should always be voluntary for the general public. For myself, I wore the mask without complaint and I’ll wear one now after being vaccinated if it makes the other person more comfortable.

As with everything, YMMV.
we agree more than we disagree :)

I get tested 5x a week. I've had the anti-body tests multiple times too, on my own dime. All negative so far!
Join us at the Spyderco Swap!

Current favorite: M4 Native Chief

TomAiello

Postby TomAiello » Sun May 16, 2021 11:38 am

JRinFL wrote:
I’ll wear one now after being vaccinated if it makes the other person more comfortable.
Ditto.

I tend to 'mirror' mask wearing. If the person I'm talking to has one on, I put one on. If they don't, I take mine off (or don't put it on in the first place). I see that as a common courtesy issue. Too many people see mask wearing (or not) as a political issue.

Ankerson

Postby Ankerson » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:48 am

Got my 2nd Phizer Dose today so I am all done. :cool:

Went to the store after this morning and could believe all the people in there that either can't read and or can't comprehend what they read. :rolleyes:

James Y

Postby James Y » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:00 am

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:48 am

Went to the store after this morning and could believe all the people in there that either can't read and or can't comprehend what they read. :rolleyes:

That’s great, Jim!

I go for my second dose (Moderna) this coming Monday.

Jim

Ankerson

Postby Ankerson » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:02 am

James Y wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:00 am
Ankerson wrote:

That’s great, Jim!

Jim

Jim,

Well it's not like I really go out all that much, but it is nice to know it's done.

And I will be better protected from the typical morons. ;)

Jim

James Y

Postby James Y » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:12 am

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:02 am
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

That’s great, Jim!

Jim

Jim,

Well it's not like I really go out all that much, but it is nice to know it's done.

Jim

I haven’t gone out much either, not compared to most people. It will feel good to be done with this two-round dose routine, even if there is a required booster later on. If there is one, that one better be a one-time dose.

Even after my second dose, it’s gonna take me awhile until I get comfortable going completely maskless around other people again. It’s weird saying that, because when the the wearing of masks was originally mandated here, I was mad about that.

Jim

bearfacedkiller

Postby bearfacedkiller » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:16 am

TomAiello wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 11:38 am
JRinFL wrote:
I’ll wear one now after being vaccinated if it makes the other person more comfortable.
Ditto.

I tend to 'mirror' mask wearing. If the person I'm talking to has one on, I put one on. If they don't, I take mine off (or don't put it on in the first place). I see that as a common courtesy issue. Too many people see mask wearing (or not) as a political issue.
Agreed, this shouldn’t be about politics. It is sad that masks have become the liberal MAGA hat.

I personally don’t think that some homemade mask made from some material from JoAnne Fabrics does much but I also respect my fellow man enough to wear one if it makes them more comfortable. It’s common courtesy. You have to give respect in order to get respect.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

Ankerson

Postby Ankerson » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:17 am

James Y wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:12 am
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

That’s great, Jim!

Jim

Jim,

Jim

I haven’t gone out much either, not compared to most people. It will feel good to be done with this two-round dose routine, even if there is a required booster later on. If there is one, that one better be a one-time dose.

Even after my second dose, it’s gonna take me awhile until I get comfortable going completely maskless around other people again. It’s weird saying that, because when the the wearing of masks was originally mandated here, I was mad about that.

Jim

Jim,

NC removed the mask mandates (Mostly) because of the pretty high percentage of people in NC that have already been done. But still recommends that unvaccinated people still wear masks etc. (But you know how people are. ;))

Jim

ChrisinHove

Postby ChrisinHove » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:05 pm

The Indian / Delta variant has leapt ahead here, now, and in just a few weeks comprises the overwhelming majority of tested & hospitalised cases.

This bug just keeps on giving ....

Update - figures suggest this variant is 2.6 times more likely to result in hospitalisation than the Kent / Alpha variant. There is also concern that a newer Delta variant, “Nepalese”, might be vaccine defeating. I think travel/border controls will be with us for a while.

Ankerson

Postby Ankerson » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:42 am

James Y wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:12 am
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

That’s great, Jim!

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim

Jim,

After the 2nd dose of the Phizer I did feel that one a bit. :(

They said to drink a lot of water or better yet Gatorade so I was going to the store anyway after so I picked up some.

Started hitting me a few hours later and slept most of the day, better the next day.

Not too bad, just a little sore and tired.

Then the next day, well about half way through the next day I was fine after that. :cool:

Jim

Return to “Off-Topic”