Covid-19 vaccination starting (UK)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: Covid-19 vaccination starting (UK)

Postby Ankerson » Fri May 14, 2021 7:50 am

James Y wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:47 am
The problem with the new rule about fully-vaccinated people being able to go maskless, and do away with social distancing in certain settings this early, is that whoever made that ruling is depending on the honor system to trust unvaccinated people to keep wearing masks and social distancing. They won’t, or at least most won’t. Extremely high percentages of people have already been doing that for the past year. Call me cynical, but IMO, depending on an honor system is stupid.

Jim

Jim,

I completely agree.

The honor system doesn't work, especially these days. ;)

Way too many morons and complete total idiots out there.

Thankfully I work from home so I am not subjected to those types of people very often. ;)

Jim
Last edited by Ankerson on Fri May 14, 2021 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

James Y

Postby James Y » Fri May 14, 2021 7:53 am

Ankerson wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:50 am
James Y wrote:
The problem with the new rule about fully-vaccinated people being able to go maskless, and do away with social distancing in certain settings this early, is that whoever made that ruling is depending on the honor system to trust unvaccinated people to keep wearing masks and social distancing. They won’t, or at least most won’t. Extremely high percentages of people have already been doing that for the past year. Call me cynical, but IMO, depending on an honor system is stupid.

Jim

Jim,

I completely agree.

Way too many morons out there.

Jim

Jim,

You’d think by now that the rule makers would have gotten a clue. Clearly, they haven’t been paying attention to human nature over the past year. It shouldn’t take a genius to figure it out.

Jim

Ankerson

Postby Ankerson » Fri May 14, 2021 7:56 am

James Y wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:53 am
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

I completely agree.

Jim

Jim,

You’d think by now that the rule makers would have gotten a clue. Clearly, they haven’t been paying attention to human nature over the past year. It shouldn’t take a genius to figure it out.

Jim

Jim,

Yeah, that is obvious.

Maybe they are just as stupid and ignorant. ;)

Jim

James Y

Postby James Y » Fri May 14, 2021 8:03 am

Ankerson wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:56 am
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Jim,

I completely agree.

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim,

Yeah, that is obvious.

Jim

I think much of it has to do with “See how much progress we’ve made!”

Something that really has me puzzled is Japan’s 2% vaccination rate. They’re SUPPOSED to be hosting the Olympics. I’d have thought that they would have had their (*bleep*) together. Things are usually very well-organized in Japan.

Jim

Ankerson

Postby Ankerson » Fri May 14, 2021 8:06 am

James Y wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:03 am
Ankerson wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:56 am
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Jim,

I completely agree.

Jim

Jim,

Jim

Jim,

Yeah, that is obvious.

Jim

I think much of it has to do with “See how much progress we’ve made!”

Something that really has me puzzled is Japan’s 2% vaccination rate. They’re SUPPOSED to be hosting the Olympics. I’d have thought that they would have had their (*bleep*) together. Things are usually very well-organized in Japan.

Jim

Jim,

Yes, they normally are very organized usually so that is puzzling.

Jim

James Y

Postby James Y » Fri May 14, 2021 8:14 am

At the very least, you would think that the huge expense of hosting the Olympics alone would have been an incentive to have gotten their act together. As it is, whether it actually happens is questionable.

Weird.

Jim

Ankerson

Postby Ankerson » Fri May 14, 2021 8:20 am

James Y wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:14 am
At the very least, you would think that the huge expense of hosting the Olympics alone would have been an incentive to have gotten their act together. As it is, whether it actually happens is questionable.

Weird.

Jim

Jim,

Time will tell I suppose, if they don't do something it is possible nobody will even show up, the ones who will be in the Olympics.

Jim

vivi

Postby vivi » Fri May 14, 2021 1:44 pm

Bunch of states dropped their mask mandates in the US today.
Join us at the Spyderco Swap!

Current favorite: M4 Native Chief

TomAiello

Postby TomAiello » Fri May 14, 2021 1:56 pm

Ankerson wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:28 am
TomAiello wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:14 am
New CDC guidelines released yesterday basically say that there is no need for vaccinated individuals to wear masks or socially distance.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... dance.html

Fully vaccinated people can:

Resume activities without wearing masks or physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance

Resume domestic travel and refrain from testing before or after travel or self-quarantine after travel

Refrain from testing before leaving the United States for international travel (unless required by the destination) and refrain from self-quarantine after arriving back in the United States

Refrain from testing following a known exposure, if asymptomatic, with some exceptions for specific settings
Refrain from quarantine following a known exposure if asymptomatic

Refrain from routine screening testing if feasible

That is NOT what that CDC said.
You literally highlighted portions of the actual CDC statement, which I copied and pasted, and then responded that the CDC hadn't said that.

Huh?

ChrisinHove

Postby ChrisinHove » Sat May 15, 2021 12:48 am

The U.K. government scientists are saying that there is a “realistic possibility” that the Indian variant spreads 50% faster than the last.

Not great news. With only my first jab under my belt, I’m not going to be taking any chances.

vivi

Postby vivi » Sat May 15, 2021 3:00 am

It's wild how different the situation is depending on the area. Where I live people have been going maskless for months. I've been going to the gym and bars and out to eat maskless for some time now. But I've got friends in other countries still in lockdown.

Numbers are low enough here none of my friends or family have ever caught it, nor have I. Out of all my co-workers I've talked to one girl had itand described it like a mild cold.
Join us at the Spyderco Swap!

Current favorite: M4 Native Chief

JRinFL

Postby JRinFL » Sat May 15, 2021 7:21 am

My wife’s co-worker’s whole family contracted COVID and the symptoms varied from flu-like to severe. Their 15 year old son has long term lung issues from it and will need long term treatment.

Still, many are willing to play Russian roulette with it.
Not every choiless knife needs a choil, not every knife with a choil needs it removed. Not every big knife needs a Lil' companion. Wharnie for the whin! Friends call me Jim. As do my foes. Used to be JR in CT with a much earlier join date.

TomAiello

Postby TomAiello » Sat May 15, 2021 7:32 am

JRinFL wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:21 am
My wife’s co-worker’s whole family contracted COVID and the symptoms varied from flu-like to severe.
Were they vaccinated when they got it?

I wonder if there is some genetic component, where families somehow share a trait that makes them more susceptible despite vaccination?

JRinFL

Postby JRinFL » Sat May 15, 2021 7:36 am

It was pre-vaccine.
Not every choiless knife needs a choil, not every knife with a choil needs it removed. Not every big knife needs a Lil' companion. Wharnie for the whin! Friends call me Jim. As do my foes. Used to be JR in CT with a much earlier join date.

James Y

Postby James Y » Sat May 15, 2021 7:56 am

JRinFL wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:21 am
My wife’s co-worker’s whole family contracted COVID and the symptoms varied from flu-like to severe. Their 15 year old son has long term lung issues from it and will need long term treatment.

Still, many are willing to play Russian roulette with it.

Jim,

Russian Roulette is a great way of putting it. They’re not just playing it with themselves, but with everybody else’s well-being, too.

My niece’s father-in-law got it really bad and was hospitalized (also pre-vaccine), and according to them, his condition was touch-and-go for awhile. He’s in his 60s, but has always been a big, strong guy.

As I’ve mentioned, there is no small number of young people who have gotten Covid and are now suffering from long-term issues from it, particularly lung damage.

Jim

Ankerson

Postby Ankerson » Sat May 15, 2021 9:31 am

TomAiello wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 1:56 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:28 am
TomAiello wrote:
New CDC guidelines released yesterday basically say that there is no need for vaccinated individuals to wear masks or socially distance.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... dance.html

Fully vaccinated people can:

Resume activities without wearing masks or physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance

Resume domestic travel and refrain from testing before or after travel or self-quarantine after travel

Refrain from testing before leaving the United States for international travel (unless required by the destination) and refrain from self-quarantine after arriving back in the United States

Refrain from testing following a known exposure, if asymptomatic, with some exceptions for specific settings
Refrain from quarantine following a known exposure if asymptomatic

Refrain from routine screening testing if feasible

That is NOT what that CDC said.
You literally highlighted portions of the actual CDC statement, which I copied and pasted, and then responded that the CDC hadn't said that.

Huh?

This is what I was referring to. ;)

Just that one statement alone, taken as YOU stated it is false.

Like reading just a headline and not everything else or just making some comment without adding in the relevant information or at the very least pointing it out.

Leads to confirmation bias, and or false information.

Especially since it was stated as a fact, that's even worse.
TomAiello wrote:

TomAiello

Postby TomAiello » Sat May 15, 2021 9:33 am

James Y wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:56 am
Russian Roulette is a great way of putting it. They’re not just playing it with themselves, but with everybody else’s well-being, too.
I disagree.

So far, the best statistics available indicate that a vaccinated person has roughly a 0.01% chance of contracting Covid. As of My 4, more than 105 million people have been fully vaccinated, and there have been 9245 cases of vaccinated persons becoming infected reported to the CDC. There have been 132 deaths in the 9245 cases of which 20 were asymptomatic or not related to covid (meaning they died from some other condition). So we have 112 covid deaths in vaccinated individuals in the USA, from an initial vaccinated population of 105 million (which was still skewed toward older people as of May 4, because of vaccine roll out schedules).

Compare this to the chance of contracting influenza in a normal year (2018-2019). In the 2018-2019 flu season, 42 million people contracted influenza (per CDC estimates), and of those 61,200 died from influenza. So the death rate from influenza is 0.14% (higher than the death rate from covid amongst vaccinated persons).

People have a right to make their own health care decisions. Their decision not to get vaccinated doesn't 'play Russian Roulette' with my health, any more than seasonal influenza does. People choosing not to be vaccinated are not noticeably impacting anyone's well being except their own. I'm fully vaccinated. My risks from Covid are the same (or less, most likely) as my risks from the flu. If I'm not comfortable with the normal risks of the flu, I ought to have been living in a bubble for the last 40 years.

TomAiello

Postby TomAiello » Sat May 15, 2021 9:36 am

Ankerson wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:31 am
Especially since it was stated as a fact, that's even worse.
TomAiello wrote:

There is no falsehood in my statement.

The CDC guidelines state:

"Fully vaccinated people can resume activities without wearing a mask or physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance."

Reference: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... nated.html
Last edited by TomAiello on Sat May 15, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ankerson

Postby Ankerson » Sat May 15, 2021 9:37 am

TomAiello wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:36 am
There is no falsehood in my statement.

The CDC guidelines state:

"Fully vaccinated people can resume activities without wearing a mask or physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance."

Reference: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... nated.html

It absolutely was false. ;)

There is not doubt about it period.

TomAiello

Postby TomAiello » Sat May 15, 2021 9:40 am

All I am doing is copying and pasting the CDC guidelines.

Copying someone else's information and saying it is their information cannot be false.

I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say here.

Return to “Off-Topic”