Covid-19 vaccination starting (UK)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Covid-19 vaccination starting (UK)

Postby bearfacedkiller » Tue May 11, 2021 8:35 am

I’m 42 and got the phizer.

I was tired the day after the first shot. I wake up at 5am every morning without an alarm and I had a hard time waking up that morning and felt very foggy that day. My arm was not really sore at all. Maybe a little if I pressed on the injection site.

The second shot was pretty much the same except I was tired and foggy for two days. My arm was also much more sore and it hurt to use it a little.

No fever, headache or any other flu like symptoms for me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

Naperville

Postby Naperville » Tue May 11, 2021 9:04 am

Everyone in my immediate family except for children(so far) has had the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines. My mother and I both had the Pfizer vaccines. We received our 2nd vaccine shots early last week.

I'm 61. On the first shot my shoulder was a little sore(3 out a scale of 10) and my body ached. This went on for around 3 days. With the 2nd shot I did not notice anything. Nothing. I began to wonder if my immune system even works.

My mother is 80. On the first shot that my mother received, she had a reaction similar to my first vaccine shot. With the 2nd shot, after 24 hours she began having adverse reactions. I was on my way to obtaining the 2nd vaccine shot. Pulled the car out of the garage and as she was exiting the house, she collapsed on the floor. I jumped out of the car and raced to the doorway. I had a hard time getting her up and we eventually got her in to a wheelchair. She was unable to stand on her own two feet for 24 to 48 hours. She did throw up for about 30 minutes. Eventually she recovered. One of my relatives wondered if she had a stroke but there does not seem to be any lingering after effects. On the 3rd day, I wondered if I had seriously goofed in not immediately calling the fire department paramedics. I think that it is clear that I did. She is back to 100% now but the shot wiped her out for 3 days, after the first 24 hours.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights" and you should too!
Support https://tunnel2towers.org

DSH007

Postby DSH007 » Tue May 11, 2021 9:57 am

Sorry about your mom, Naperville.. glad to hear she's back to 100%!

I got my poke in the beginning of April.. Johnson & Johnson single shooter, one and done. Symptoms were mild for me.. I got my shot on a Saturday (noon time) and felt completely fine until about 10 hours after, when I noticed that I felt a little more tired than usual (this was around bedtime.. coincidence? maybe haha) and then had some pretty crazy chills at about 12 hours post-prick (that lasted about 1 hr). I went to sleep and woke up Sunday morning feeling generally sore, but otherwise fine. I'd describe it as how you feel getting a good workout in after not going to the gym for a while.. not exactly pleasant, but definitely not unbearable or anything. Advil helped and I felt better as the day went on. By Monday morning, I felt completely normal. I did have a dull pain at the injection site for maybe three days afterwards.. nothing crazy, maybe 1 out of 10 on a pain scale, at it's worst, and diminishing over time. Overall, no big deal for me..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..

JRinFL

Postby JRinFL » Tue May 11, 2021 10:39 am

On my second Moderna shot I had sore spot at the injection site and fatigue for about a day and half. I read somewhere that if you were previously exposed to the virus, you got a worse reaction to the second shot. But what can you believe these days?
Not every choiless knife needs a choil, not every knife with a choil needs it removed. Not every big knife needs a Lil' companion. Wharnie for the whin! Friends call me Jim. As do my foes. Used to be JR in CT with a much earlier join date.

JuPaul

Postby JuPaul » Wed May 12, 2021 3:18 pm

JRinFL wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:39 am
On my second Moderna shot I had sore spot at the injection site and fatigue for about a day and half. I read somewhere that if you were previously exposed to the virus, you got a worse reaction to the second shot. But what can you believe these days?
I've also read this and wondered about it, especially since I'm pretty sure I had covid very early on in all this. And I did have a pretty intense reaction to the J&J shot - about 24 hours of 102 fever, body aches, chills, headache. But who knows...anyhow it was worth it.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

JD Spydo

Postby JD Spydo » Wed May 12, 2021 3:28 pm

*EDITED - Way too far off-topic* TazKristi

TomAiello

Postby TomAiello » Wed May 12, 2021 3:44 pm

JD, if you don't want to be vaccinated, you definitely should not. That's a personal choice to be made by you and no one else.

I definitely do not have any magnetic properties in my left shoulder (where I was vaccinated), or anywhere else in my left arm. Plenty of magnetic material in other parts of my body though. :)

Julia, my reaction was among the most severe of the people I know (lasted for 48 hours and involved a lot of fever and chills) and I'm fairly certain I had no prior exposure. I had a negative covid test less than 2 weeks before my first vaccination shot.

It's really hard to sort out reactions, because of the self-selecting nature of reaction reports. There are definitely reactions occurring, but I am unaware of any good statistical summary of them, because most people experiencing reactions don't report them anywhere, and a few people experiencing reactions are super vocal about them.

rangefinder

Postby rangefinder » Wed May 12, 2021 4:49 pm

FWIW, I got the Jannsen/J&J vaccine a week ago (Tuesday morning, 4 May). The injection spot was tender for a few days, which isn't unusual since I have had that happen with tetanus boosters too. The arm/shoulder that got the shot was a bit sore the next day, although that may have been unrelated to the shot since I had been doing a lot of yard work.

Other than that, I had no side effects. No fever, no headache, no nausea, etc.

I don't know if the data is available to the public in some anonymized form, but there is the "v-safe" tracker that the CDC is running to track side-effects from the vaccines: https://vsafe.cdc.gov/en/
Last edited by rangefinder on Fri May 14, 2021 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

TazKristi

Postby TazKristi » Wed May 12, 2021 6:58 pm

Ok, everyone, I've let this thread go even though I've had some concerns. Please continue to be mindful of our rules, and the intent of our forum. This topic can be polarizing, so let's steer clear of conspiracy theories and the like. I'd rather not close the thread, so please don't give me a reason to.

Thanks much.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.

MacLaren

Postby MacLaren » Wed May 12, 2021 8:59 pm

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:28 pm
*EDITED - Way too far off-topic* TazKristi
Joe, I would definitely get the shot if I were you.
There's absolutely no doubt that it's effective in saving lives. Case in point.
My wife's pharmacy technicians husband, whom is in his mid 50' and in poor health recently got his first round of Moderna. And, before that they were able to get his 80 year old father to get both shots. Now, the younger brother of the technicians husband whom was in good shape wanted absolutely nothing to do with the vaccine. Said it was a hoax and that he wanted absolutely nothing to do with it. That caused some problems in their family no doubt. Well, eventually all 3 contracted Covid19. And, all 3 were hospitalized.
Out of the 3, the 80 year old father was released in a few days. He had BOTH shots. The technicians husband whom was in poor health but, had 1 round of Moderna was in bad shape but, eventually got better and released from the hospital. As for younger brother that was in good shape ( early 50's ) well, he died.
So, just consider this before making a final decision.
*Edit* I should make clear that they all 3 contracted Covid19 at the same time and were all hospitalized about the same time.
Last edited by MacLaren on Thu May 13, 2021 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spydernation #0031

Liquid Cobra

Postby Liquid Cobra » Wed May 12, 2021 10:50 pm

My mother contracted covid 19 two weeks after getting her first dose of the vaccine. She is 71 years old, has sclerosis of the liver, diabetes, COPD (lung disease that blocks air) and was a smoker for over 55 years. Her symptoms from covid included coughing and feeling tired. She is fine now. I’m pretty convinced that the vaccine saved her life. If she had gotten covid without it I believe she would have at the very least been hospitalized.

As for me, well I contracted covid but feel fortunate that my symptoms weren’t severe. I had a cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, aches, tiredness, and lost my sense of smell and taste. Same goes for my wife. We still don’t have our taste or smell back, and I get winded very easily now as does she.

My wife and I both received our first dose of Pfizer last week. Her arm was a little sore but that was about it. I on the other hand had an extremely sore arm where the needle went in. I couldn’t sleep on that side for a few days. On the second day my lymph node under my arm became swollen and incredibly sore. The pain has subsided but the swelling has not.

My government has decided to stretch out the second dose for all Canadians from a few weeks to 4 months due to a lack of vaccines. There is a lot of talk about how this large gap of time between doses could lead to less protection from the virus. Time will tell I suppose.
Most recently acquired: Paramilitary 2 Tanto, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra

TomAiello

Postby TomAiello » Thu May 13, 2021 5:09 am

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:50 pm
My government has decided to stretch out the second dose for all Canadians from a few weeks to 4 months due to a lack of vaccines. There is a lot of talk about how this large gap of time between doses could lead to less protection from the virus. Time will tell I suppose.
There is actually some new evidence that a longer gap leads to improved protection.

Let me see if I can get my wife to send me the study link again, so I can post it here.

Its not necessarily a bad thing--might even be good.

There is a fairly substantial body of evidence that vaccinated persons have less severe cases if they are infected.

There is also a reasonable body of evidence growing that younger people have less severe cases (regardless of vaccination) and it is a reasonable position for a younger person to decide to acquire natural immunity through infection, rather than to be vaccinated.

There are a lot of different trains of thought and decisions being made, and that's all good. Diversity yields better systemic resistance.

JRinFL

Postby JRinFL » Thu May 13, 2021 7:37 am

I hear there may be required (recommended) yearly booster shots needed as well, much like flu shots.
Not every choiless knife needs a choil, not every knife with a choil needs it removed. Not every big knife needs a Lil' companion. Wharnie for the whin! Friends call me Jim. As do my foes. Used to be JR in CT with a much earlier join date.

Ankerson

Postby Ankerson » Thu May 13, 2021 8:26 am

Well got mine today, Pfizer. :D

Have to go back in 3 weeks for the 2nd one.

James Y

Postby James Y » Thu May 13, 2021 8:36 am

TomAiello wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:09 am
There is also a reasonable body of evidence growing that younger people have less severe cases (regardless of vaccination) and it is a reasonable position for a younger person to decide to acquire natural immunity through infection, rather than to be vaccinated.

Maybe, but IMO, that’s a gamble. There have also been young, healthy people who got Covid and died from it. And there are many others who have survived it, but are still suffering from long-term effects, including lung damage.

Only one example was the 30 year old man in Florida who attended a “Covid party,” in which young partygoers were completely unprotected and ‘trying to get Covid’ because they didn’t believe in it, sometime last year. Well, he ended up catching it. As he lay dying in the hospital, his last words were, “I think I made a mistake.”

Jim

James Y

Postby James Y » Thu May 13, 2021 8:38 am

Ankerson wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:26 am
Well got mine today, Pfizer. :D

Have to go back in 3 weeks for the 2nd one.

Great news, Jim! :)

Jim

ChrisinHove

Postby ChrisinHove » Fri May 14, 2021 6:04 am

There’s worry here now about a new Indian Variant, even more transmissible than the last.

I think we’ll be seeing the need for updated booster shots for quite some while.

TomAiello

Postby TomAiello » Fri May 14, 2021 7:14 am

New CDC guidelines released yesterday basically say that there is no need for vaccinated individuals to wear masks or socially distance.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... dance.html

Fully vaccinated people can:

Resume activities without wearing masks or physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance

Resume domestic travel and refrain from testing before or after travel or self-quarantine after travel

Refrain from testing before leaving the United States for international travel (unless required by the destination) and refrain from self-quarantine after arriving back in the United States

Refrain from testing following a known exposure, if asymptomatic, with some exceptions for specific settings
Refrain from quarantine following a known exposure if asymptomatic

Refrain from routine screening testing if feasible

Ankerson

Postby Ankerson » Fri May 14, 2021 7:28 am

TomAiello wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:14 am
New CDC guidelines released yesterday basically say that there is no need for vaccinated individuals to wear masks or socially distance.

Fully vaccinated people can:

Resume activities without wearing masks or physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance

Resume domestic travel and refrain from testing before or after travel or self-quarantine after travel

Refrain from testing before leaving the United States for international travel (unless required by the destination) and refrain from self-quarantine after arriving back in the United States

Refrain from testing following a known exposure, if asymptomatic, with some exceptions for specific settings
Refrain from quarantine following a known exposure if asymptomatic

Refrain from routine screening testing if feasible

That is NOT what that CDC said.

A little more info, have to scroll down some and READ. ;)

Guiding Principles for Fully Vaccinated People

Indoor and outdoor activities pose minimal risk to fully vaccinated people.

Fully vaccinated people have a reduced risk of transmitting SARS-CoV-2 to unvaccinated people.

Fully vaccinated people should still get tested if experiencing COVID-19 symptoms

Fully vaccinated people should not visit private or public settings if they have tested positive for COVID-19 in the prior 10 days or are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.

Fully vaccinated people should continue to follow any applicable federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations.

James Y

Postby James Y » Fri May 14, 2021 7:47 am

The problem with the new rule about fully-vaccinated people being able to go maskless, and do away with social distancing in certain settings this early, is that whoever made that ruling is expecting unvaccinated people to follow an honor system and keep wearing masks and social distancing. They won’t, or at least most won’t. Extremely high percentages of people have already been ignoring that for the past year. Call me cynical, but IMO, depending on an honor system is stupid.

Jim

Return to “Off-Topic”