My 1st CRK

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Cycletroll

Re: My 1st CRK

Post by Cycletroll »

Can't go wrong with a Sebenza 21 or 31. Classic functional design with a super functional, effective blade shape and impeccable construction.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hey John,

Cool to see you interested in taking the leap! I've noticed you and I have a lot of similarities in our favorite knives and steels as well, so I'll offer up my opinion/suggestions.

I've got a Small Sebenza 31, as well as a Large Inkosi. I haven't really used the Small Sebenza much, but I can tell just by feel in hand and tinkering around with it, that I likely wouldn't want it to be something I'd edc if doing a fare amount of cutting throughout the day (Not to mention I am babying it on purpose) It's comfortable, just a little small in hand and I don't have big man hands. M/L gloves for me.

The Large Inkosi on the other hand is extremely comfortable in hand for me. With a size similar to the PM2/Manix/Shaman handles. Granted mine also has the micarta inlays, likely aiding in it being even more hand filling. I still think even without them it would still be a comfortable knife though. I was initially hesitant on getting it because of the handle grooves...but I felt that way about my first ever Manix and it turned into my favorite model. This Large Inkosi finger grooves also work out perfectly for me.

Those are the only two I can offer any insight on, but I hope it helps!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’ve got two Large 21s, and had a Large Inkosingo. I’m biased and much prefer the Large 21 but you honestly can’t go wrong with either. The Inkosi is a little bit thicker, thicker blade stock, if you are looking for a little more beef, but the Sebenza is more then capable of anything! You will love the high hollow grind oh man!!
Josh
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

I just ordered a plain Jane small sebenza 31 in s45vn today. Excited to try out my first CRK. I appreciate that they make a specific version for leftys.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

This thread makes me happy lol
Josh
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Henry_P wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:30 pm
I just ordered a plain Jane small sebenza 31 in s45vn today. Excited to try out my first CRK. I appreciate that they make a specific version for leftys.
Nice! Definitely post up pics and let us know how you like it!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

So...I received my sebenza 31 and I took it apart to remove the lanyard. Upon reassembly I somehow bent one of the washers and now the action is really stiff. I ended up sending it in to CRK for service. Disappointed I didn’t even get to use my knife yet. Definitely not as easy to take apart and put back together as my spydercos. Makes taking apart my PM2s and Para3s seem like a breeze even with the lanyard tubes.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

My first CRK in my pocket today. Small Regular I bought in about 2007 (May 06 birth card).

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Henry_P wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:46 pm
So...I received my sebenza 31 and I took it apart to remove the lanyard. Upon reassembly I somehow bent one of the washers and now the action is really stiff. I ended up sending it in to CRK for service. Disappointed I didn’t even get to use my knife yet. Definitely not as easy to take apart and put back together as my spydercos. Makes taking apart my PM2s and Para3s seem like a breeze even with the lanyard tubes.
Well that's a bummer, and odd. I find my CRK's easier to take apart than just about any of my other knives. They have great tutorials online, straight from Tim Reeve.

-Rick
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

PSquared wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:27 pm
My first CRK in my pocket today. Small Regular I bought in about 2007 (May 06 birth card).

Nice! I really like the look of those Regulars! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Henry_P wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:46 pm
For dis/assembly of the 21s & 31s, it is recommended that the blade/pivot assembly be removed/inserted while the handle is intact vs using the "sandwich" method. I thought this seemed like it would make things more difficult at first, but in practice, I find it is actually really easy. This is the video from Tim Reeve that Rick mentioned.. I found it helpful as well..

https://youtu.be/mtiPdLwvsrI
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
kobold

Post by kobold »

I also have and like the Spydiechef and the Swayback and both fluted Ti models.
I bought a Sebenza 21 first as I think it is the essential CRK. Then a small one and the Large Inkosi Insingo last. All are PJ and I really like them all. I wear L sized gloves and the small Sebenza fits it perfectly. It is a great EDC folder. I like it so much, I want to get one in damascus.

Both the Inkosi and the Large Sebenza are good work horses, you cant go wrong with either.
The blade and the detent are stronger on the Inkosi and has slightly better ergos. The Umnumzaan is supposed to be even stronger, but I feel the Inkosi is plenty strong for me.

But the hollow grind is deeper on the Sebenza, so the blade has more life in it.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

Reading this thread after selling off some guitar pedals was a bad idea...
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

FourStringFiend wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:03 pm
Just do it ;)
Josh
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

murphjd25 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:52 pm
FourStringFiend wrote:
Just do it ;)
Looks like more and more 31's are starting to be released at dealers the past week or so. I'm trying not to look...though I obviously have been :p

-Rick
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:00 pm
murphjd25 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:52 pm
FourStringFiend wrote:
Just do it ;)
Looks like more and more 31's are starting to be released at dealers the past week or so. I'm trying not to look...though I obviously have been :p
Ive been watching, but patience I do have. LOL. I just keep telling myself, Murph, you got two sebenzas, why the **** do you need a third? LOL
Josh
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Alright guys your peer pressure worked. I couldn't find a Sebenza with inlays I liked that didn't cost an arm and a leg. So I went with the plain jane small 31 drop point. I chose the 31 because of the offset clip. I can't wait to get the knife so I can cut off that silly lanyard. Putting paracord on a $375 knife seems weird to me. Like a bumpersticker on a sportscar. 🤷‍♀️
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I'm staying strong and holding at zero Sebenzas. I have looked and pondered over the last 15 years and so far have not caved. The cost of two Sebenzas is the cost of a very nice firearm like a Kimber K6S Combat.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:25 pm
Alright guys your peer pressure worked. I couldn't find a Sebenza with inlays I liked that didn't cost an arm and a leg. So I went with the plain jane small 31 drop point. I chose the 31 because of the offset clip. I can't wait to get the knife so I can cut off that silly lanyard. Putting paracord on a $375 knife seems weird to me. Like a bumpersticker on a sportscar. 🤷‍♀️
Nice! I haven't seen many of the PJ's around for sale. Nice first choice, there's a few differences between the 21 and 31. Seems like some prefer the 21 and some the 31, neither seems to be a bad choice. I haven't used my small 31 a whole lot, but I definitely like it and appreciate the craftsmanship!

I tried to get on board with the paracord/lanyard thing, but cut it off after a couple days. Just not for me I guess.

-Rick
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Hey the lanyard adds 100X cutting power, just like those bumper stickers add 100 HP!!!
Josh