What's Cookin'?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
User avatar
vivi
Member
Posts: 8861
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: What's Cookin'?

Postby vivi » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:37 am

Yep.

It's funny, I've worked in a lot of different fields, but I always seem to find my way back into kitchens one way or another.

When covid19 lockdowns closed my old job down a year ago I enjoyed a little time off, then went back to slingin pizzas in the next state over where things opened up sooner.

After dipping my toes back in the water I looked for something a little more upscale with better pay, and in my area there's lots of demand so I had plenty of options to consider. This place treats me well. I get the whole kitchen to myself, which is how I like it VS having lots of bodies on the line.
Join us at the Spyderco Swap!

Current favorite: S30V DLC Military

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3472
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: What's Cookin'?

Postby Sumdumguy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:21 am

vivi wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:37 am
Yep.

It's funny, I've worked in a lot of different fields, but I always seem to find my way back into kitchens one way or another.

When covid19 lockdowns closed my old job down a year ago I enjoyed a little time off, then went back to slingin pizzas in the next state over where things opened up sooner.

After dipping my toes back in the water I looked for something a little more upscale with better pay, and in my area there's lots of demand so I had plenty of options to consider. This place treats me well. I get the whole kitchen to myself, which is how I like it VS having lots of bodies on the line.
I worked as a banquet cook at a casino, just after high school, for about four years, until the family business came calling.

It remains the most enjoyable job I have had. Same reasons, we had our own massive kitchen and it was usually just me and one or two others. A lot of overnight prep and a crap ton of overtime.

Unfortunately, the sous chef took a better job opportunity and the new guy was about as pleasant as a sock full of glass... I lasted a few months, before rolling on down the road.

I've always missed the kitchen.

One of these days, I'm going to open my own restaurant.

User avatar
Cambertree
Member
Posts: 1620
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:48 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: What's Cookin'?

Postby Cambertree » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:55 am

B739593A-9099-47BE-A55C-C599ABCF2ED5.jpeg
Made a salad out of roquette/arugula, red onion, thinly sliced nashis and crunchy pears in lemon vinaigrette, with maple syrup glazed toasted pecans and walnuts.

User avatar
vivi
Member
Posts: 8861
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: What's Cookin'?

Postby vivi » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:01 pm

Made some of my spicy flour, secret blend of six spices.

Image

Chicken & shrimp, breaded, fried, a honey drizzle, served with sweet chili sauce.

Image

The spice is balanced out with the sweet, so you taste the heat but never feel like you need a drink.
Join us at the Spyderco Swap!

Current favorite: S30V DLC Military

roxiescarf
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:44 am

Re: What's Cookin'?

Postby roxiescarf » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:44 am

Wow, I am salivating Vivi. That is a good appetizer, we need some booze to match it!

User avatar
vivi
Member
Posts: 8861
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: What's Cookin'?

Postby vivi » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:51 pm

roxiescarf wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:44 am
Wow, I am salivating Vivi. That is a good appetizer, we need some booze to match it!
Hah, we have a nice selection here ;)

Todays employee app was chips and salsa. First time I've made it in a long time. Flavor is great, everyone came back for seconds and thirds. Color / consistency was off though, came out a little thick and orange.

Image

Goes well with a quesadilla

Image
Join us at the Spyderco Swap!

Current favorite: S30V DLC Military

User avatar
vivi
Member
Posts: 8861
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: What's Cookin'?

Postby vivi » Sat May 01, 2021 9:05 pm

bacon avocado burger

Image
Join us at the Spyderco Swap!

Current favorite: S30V DLC Military

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3472
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: What's Cookin'?

Postby Sumdumguy » Sun May 02, 2021 10:28 am

Vivi... just so you know, I hate you. ;) :D

Seriously though... I'm supposed to be dreaming of real estate, not a kitchen!

User avatar
vivi
Member
Posts: 8861
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: What's Cookin'?

Postby vivi » Sun May 02, 2021 8:52 pm

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:28 am
Vivi... just so you know, I hate you. ;) :D

Seriously though... I'm supposed to be dreaming of real estate, not a kitchen!
:D

Bartender asked for some of my chicken strips. Did them the right way this time with panko and egg wash. flash fried then baked. crispy crust, very tender meat.

Image

Image

Tastes a lot different than the frozen ones.
Join us at the Spyderco Swap!

Current favorite: S30V DLC Military

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3472
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: What's Cookin'?

Postby Sumdumguy » Mon May 03, 2021 8:39 am

Looks like we are on the same page. Mine are floured, egged, breadcrumbed and rested for 5 minutes(15 is the best. But who has the time?!).

There is no other way to fry them up, in my book.

If I have the time, I'm making shrimp potstickers tonight. Just have to get the dough prepped...

User avatar
ThomC
Member
Posts: 371
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:01 pm
Location: France

Re: What's Cookin'?

Postby ThomC » Mon May 03, 2021 2:40 pm

vivi wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 8:52 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:28 am
Vivi... just so you know, I hate you. ;) :D

Seriously though... I'm supposed to be dreaming of real estate, not a kitchen!
:D

Bartender asked for some of my chicken strips. Did them the right way this time with panko and egg wash. flash fried then baked. crispy crust, very tender meat.

Image

Image

Tastes a lot different than the frozen ones.
They look delicious. I make mine using my late grandma' way, dipped in milk, egg and flour and cooked in melted butter.
Instant childhood flashback :)

Tonight was chicken wings with a basic sunflower seed oil, cinnamon, massala and S&P seasoning. Served with pan-roasted chickpeas and broad beans (I think)
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore

In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spydiechef, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie

User avatar
M Sea
Member
Posts: 1145
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:20 am
Location: Margaritaville

Re: What's Cookin'?

Postby M Sea » Fri May 07, 2021 8:03 pm

Fresh caught Mahi-Mahi
59E0BFD5-21D4-4845-8880-02D4D42A70B1.jpeg
E97E705A-0AA1-4A70-8D63-957724A42790.jpeg
82719FC2-C188-43FA-98F5-985E1FA6C7EB.jpeg

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3472
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: What's Cookin'?

Postby Sumdumguy » Sat May 08, 2021 5:35 am

I love Mahi Mahi. It's my second favorite fish, just behind Ono(Wahoo).

User avatar
M Sea
Member
Posts: 1145
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:20 am
Location: Margaritaville

Re: What's Cookin'?

Postby M Sea » Sat May 08, 2021 9:00 am

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 5:35 am
I love Mahi Mahi. It's my second favorite fish, just behind Ono(Wahoo).
This came out great, been doing it for years. Also love Wahoo, maybe even more!!

User avatar
knifemovieguy
Member
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:52 am
Location: Russia

Re: What's Cookin'?

Postby knifemovieguy » Sun May 09, 2021 7:19 am

La pasta
Image
:spyder: IG @knifemovieguy :spyder:

User avatar
vivi
Member
Posts: 8861
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: What's Cookin'?

Postby vivi » Sun May 09, 2021 7:03 pm

Made a margherita pizza for the staff to share.

Image
Image
Image

I used this recipe + a teaspoon of sugar and a tablespoon of olive oil for the dough.
Join us at the Spyderco Swap!

Current favorite: S30V DLC Military

Joshcrutchley1
Member
Posts: 402
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:44 am
Location: Michigan

Re: What's Cookin'?

Postby Joshcrutchley1 » Sun May 09, 2021 10:07 pm

M Sea wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:03 pm
Fresh caught Mahi-Mahi
82719FC2-C188-43FA-98F5-985E1FA6C7EB.jpeg
Looks good!

I was born and raised in Baltimore, Md right by the Chesapeake bay. My uncle used to put Old Bay on everything, a little too much if you ask me. I keep it reserved for seafood only.

Dan In MI
Member
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon May 03, 2021 7:36 pm
Location: Michigan, at the base of the thumb

Re: What's Cookin'?

Postby Dan In MI » Sun May 09, 2021 10:55 pm

M Sea wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:03 pm
Fresh caught Mahi-Mahi
Excellent! Reminds me that I need to get my butt on one of Michigan's many waterways and fish up some yellow perch.
Regular carrier: zome green Delica 4
Occasional/situational carrier: Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade
Display only: Manbug with Wharncliffe blade, Dragonfly 2 with Wharncliffe blade, zome green Delica 4

User avatar
M Sea
Member
Posts: 1145
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:20 am
Location: Margaritaville

Re: What's Cookin'?

Postby M Sea » Mon May 10, 2021 4:00 am

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:07 pm
M Sea wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:03 pm
Fresh caught Mahi-Mahi
82719FC2-C188-43FA-98F5-985E1FA6C7EB.jpeg
Looks good!

I was born and raised in Baltimore, Md right by the Chesapeake bay. My uncle used to put Old Bay on everything, a little too much if you ask me. I keep it reserved for seafood only.
Love that area, I have delivered a few boats up to DC and always stopped at the Tides Inn on the Rappahannock (sp?) on our way up the Chesapeake. Beautiful area, great people.

User avatar
M Sea
Member
Posts: 1145
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:20 am
Location: Margaritaville

Re: What's Cookin'?

Postby M Sea » Mon May 10, 2021 4:02 am

Dan In MI wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:55 pm
M Sea wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:03 pm
Fresh caught Mahi-Mahi
Excellent! Reminds me that I need to get my butt on one of Michigan's many waterways and fish up some yellow perch.
Fishing is like therapy, such a wonderful hobby. I actually prefer fishing from the shore in a quiet spot than on a boat with all the electronics, fancy offshore tackle etc., much more enjoyable.


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FourStringFiend and 12 guests