Switch Gamers

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
przemekspce

Re: Switch Gamers

Postby przemekspce » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:18 am

I agree, it's a great game. The world is tempting to explore it!
:spyder: SPY-DK, Dragonfly G10, Honeybee, Pingo WoroKnives Titanium, Sage 2, Spydiechef, Techno2 :spyder:

vivi

Postby vivi » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:41 pm

I picked up a new game. Well, two new games on one cartridge. Risk of Rain 1+2. Only $20 for both, or $10-16 if you buy digital.

I read about them looking for new roguelikes for my Switch. I enjoy games I can play in short 10-30 minutes bursts, because epic quests like BotW or Skyrim take me a while to complete being so busy.

RoR 1 is 2D, and the second game is 3D. So far I've only tried the first. It plays vaguely like a sidescrolling Enter the Gungeon, except enemy difficulty is based on how long you've stayed on a given level rather than which level you're on.

The game is really tough, I've only made it to level 2 so far. The music is really good.

Risk of Rain 2 is supposed to be the same thing but full 3D FPS. Very excited to see how the game play translates to FPS later this week.
Current carry rotation:

Pacific Salt 2 LC200N | Manix XL M4 DLC | Aqua Salt

vivi

Postby vivi » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:51 pm

Risk of Rain 2 is superb. Quickly became one of my favorite games on the Switch. It's a lot tougher than 1, which I managed to beat within a few days.

Recently bought Hyper Light Drifter on sale for $10. I've played it briefly at a friends house and its a really good game with some Zelda and Dark Souls influences.
Current carry rotation:

Sumdumguy

Postby Sumdumguy » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:00 pm

Been playing Fire Emblem Three Houses a bit.

Good game, love the battles. Not as fond of the academy stuff. But, overall it's a fun game.

vivi

Postby vivi » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:55 pm

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:00 pm

Good game, love the battles. Not as fond of the academy stuff. But, overall it's a fun game.
I played the two for GBA back in the day. It's a fun series. Dunno if you're interested in the old titles from the series but in about a week they're releasing Fire Emblem 1 in the US for the first time. Originally for the NES, so super dated, but I plan to check it out:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/f ... ht-switch/

I ended up finishing Hyper Light Drifter. It was short, took me about 6 hours of play time, but I had played through nearly half before so I was pretty familiar with the layout. Nothing but good things to say about it, its among my favorite 2D games. Plan to go back through it on hard mode / NG+ sometime down the road.

Also beat Super Metroid again. It's one of my favorite games of all time. Did a few sequence breaks like Kraid before high jump boots and power bombs as soon as I entered lower Brinstar, but nothing too crazy. I've beat this game on a crazy number of platforms at this point....PSP, Xbox, SNES, Wii, Switch, PC, Android, DC, PS Classic and others.....

Each run I find something new to appreciate about the game. It's such a well crafted title. So many little things were a head of its time, like the way in game creatures teach you hidden moves and the way the world is built to frequently loop you back to where you need to be after gaining X power-up to minimize the required backtracking. Still head and shoulders above many Metroidvanias made 25 years later.
Current carry rotation:

Sumdumguy

Postby Sumdumguy » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:35 pm

vivi wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:55 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:00 pm

I played the two for GBA back in the day. It's a fun series. Dunno if you're interested in the old titles from the series but in about a week they're releasing Fire Emblem 1 in the US for the first time. Originally for the NES, so super dated, but I plan to check it out:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/f ... ht-switch/

I ended up finishing Hyper Light Drifter. It was short, took me about 6 hours of play time, but I had played through nearly half before so I was pretty familiar with the layout. Nothing but good things to say about it, its among my favorite 2D games. Plan to go back through it on hard mode / NG+ sometime down the road.

Also beat Super Metroid again. It's one of my favorite games of all time. Did a few sequence breaks like Kraid before high jump boots and power bombs as soon as I entered lower Brinstar, but nothing too crazy. I've beat this game on a crazy number of platforms at this point....PSP, Xbox, SNES, Wii, Switch, PC, Android, DC, PS Classic and others.....

Each run I find something new to appreciate about the game. It's such a well crafted title. So many little things were a head of its time, like the way in game creatures teach you hidden moves and the way the world is built to frequently loop you back to where you need to be after gaining X power-up to minimize the required backtracking. Still head and shoulders above many Metroidvanias made 25 years later.
My gaming all started on the NES, so it holds a special place in my heart.

I was going to buy the FE box set thing, until I found out there's no physical cartridge in it. Bleh, if it's cheap enough I'll just buy the digital copy.

I played a butt ton of Metroid back in the day. Never migrated to the newer ones, because of Dragon Warrior(Dragon Quest). Once I discovered those, it was all over. Games became more than just levels and challenges. They now had a story, front and center. Like a movie, albeit low quality.

When I started playing games again a couple years ago, they brought DQXI out for the Switch and it blew me away. The "like a film" aspect from when I was a kid was fully realized. Classic story, expanded into a jaw dropping experience. Basically, how I dreamed the originals were in my head. Been chasing the dragon(no pun intended) ever since.

My games of choice, pre JRPGs, were Gradius, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Star Tropics and Super Mario Bros.

I actually just bought the little Mario Game & Watch. Why? No idea, I've got it on 15 different systems.
I guess I'm a sucker for games and gadgets.

Return to “Off-Topic”