Rising Ocean Levels?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 15719
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Rising Ocean Levels?

Postby JD Spydo » Wed May 15, 2019 8:25 am

First off I want to make it crystal clear that I (JD SPYDO) do not believe in the popular concept of "Global Warming". I didn't believe that from the very "get-go" when Discovery Channel and several other popular media sources started touting that a long time ago. But I do believe that the weather system is changing>> that I do believe in. Not trying to step on the toes of those of you who do believe in "GLOBAL WARMING" at all>> but I've seen solid evidence indicating that isn't the case.

Now I do believe in a "Shift" in the global weather system. I even see that where I've lived here in the central part of the USA most of my life. It's actually getting colder in some areas whereas it's getting considerably warmer in others. I've recently heard theories of the possibility of a "Polar Shift" and I've got an open mind on that one and believe that is highly possible but overall my jury hasn't completely convened on that one yet.

But one recent revelation that has me sort of disturbed and I've gotten this information from three independent sources that our "Ocean Levels" are rising and are predicted to rise significantly over the next 10 to 15 years. I didn't really believe that until I heard it from a highly celebrated Professor that I have found to be very credible in the past. I've also heard that key military personnel have been briefed on the likelihood of rising "Ocean Levels"
I'm wondering if any of you have heard anything of the sort? Also for those of you who live close to coastlines I'm wondering if any of you have possibly noticed it already?

User avatar
wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 2396
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Rising Ocean Levels?

Postby wrdwrght » Wed May 15, 2019 9:07 am

JD, how will this thread not become political or, worse, personally insulting?

I could start by saying facts don’t care what you believe, and go from there. I’d rather we stick to edges and abrasives.
Marc (a Knife Rights donor)

RECENT ARRIVAL: S90V Native5. ON RADAR: AEB-L Urban sprint; Lil’ Native; Native Chief; Maxamet PM2. IN DREAMS: 10V Military; Cruwear/K390 Shaman; 3V/4V Native Chief; Slysz Swayback; Anso Rock Lobster; Nishijin “R”; C27 serrated Jess Horn.

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 15719
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Rising Ocean Levels?

Postby JD Spydo » Wed May 15, 2019 9:14 am

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:07 am
JD, how will this thread not become political or, worse, personally insulting?

I could start by saying facts don’t care what you believe, and go from there. I’d rather we stick to edges and abrasives.
In no way do I mean this thread to be political, or personally insulting to anyone. This is a scientific curiosity to me. If something potentially this profound has any truth to it I want to know ahead of time.

Since when is scientific curiosity construed as political :confused: ?? Why might I ask do you feel potentially insulted by what I put up :confused: ?

I just want to know if there is any real substance to this or not. I've got two very good friends that I see almost on a daily basis who vehemently disagree with me on the Global Warming concept and we have remained friends and have remained civil.

Please clearify?? Also this is the "Off Topic" section of the Forum where we have talked about a wide array of different subjects without people getting their feathers ruffled so to speak>> also I do cover subjects like edges and abrasives about as much as anyone else here does.

James Y
Member
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Southern CA

Re: Rising Ocean Levels?

Postby James Y » Wed May 15, 2019 9:37 am

From what I've heard, at one time the poles were very different, that they were once lush forests (possibly even jungles(¿). I believe that the earth is very much like (or is?) a biological thing, and as such is constantly changing/adjusting. I do not believe that things become one way and stay that way forever. It should be expected that the earth is, and will continue to, undergo changes.

I live not far from the ocean, but I can't honestly say I notice a dramatic rise in sea level, but I'm not a scrientist studying it. I HAVE noticed a greater need for the city to replenish the sand on many beaches here. I believe that the ocean temperatures have been rising.

Jim

User avatar
Xplorer
Member
Posts: 645
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: Rising Ocean Levels?

Postby Xplorer » Wed May 15, 2019 11:19 am

When someone says they "believe" something about climate change that is opposite of what scientists around the globe agree to be factual I simply have to assume that person has not yet taken the time to look into the facts. I will also say I don't blame anyone for not doing the research and frankly there is so much misinformation offered by climate change deniers that it's (sadly) understandable why people still think this is a debatable subject. It's very important to understand that climate and weather are not the same thing. We are not able to witness weather around us an glean from that anything that speaks to actual climate change. It's also important to know that the scientific community (world-wide) is in agreement about climate change.

While it is true that the earth is very much like a living organism that will go through natural changes, the issue here is that the changes that are being realized are much more dramatic than in any time in recorded history, and most importantly are being shown to be the direct result of human activity.
Even for those who aren't concerned about global environmental affects these changes have economic, health and national security consequences that need to be taken seriously for the long term health of our nation as well as the earth.

A "few" agencies got together and compiled an incredibly extensive report that will provide you with facts and answers to your questions about the rise in sea levels and all other issues concerning climates changes.

This report was the joint effort of organizations that are doing the actual research and providing real data. Most of us have heard of most the groups that did the work here, they include...National Science Foundation, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, NASA, US Army Corp of Engineers, University of Washington, Pacific Northwest Laboratory, Texas Tech University, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Columbia University, Northern Arizona University, Rutgers University, North Carolina University, Naval Postgraduate School, National Center for Atmospheric Research, University of Illinois, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, US Department of Energy, University of Maryland, US EPA, Penn State University, UC San Diego, University of South Florida, UC Davis, Iowa State University, University of Alaska, US Department of Commerce, US Department of Agriculture, US Department of Health and Human Services, US Agency for International Development, Smithsonian Institute, US Department of Defense, US Department of State...and the list goes on..

To speak directly to JD Spydo's question about sea levels..Sea levels have risen nearly as much in the past 25 years as they did the previous 100 years before that, and they are indeed expected to continue to rise at an accelerated rate. Here's a short excerpt from the executive summary of the report I mentioned that speaks briefly about climate change and rising sea levels.

...["This assessment concludes, based on extensive evidence, that it is extremely likely that human activities, especially emissions of greenhouse gases, are the dominant cause of the observed warming since the mid-20th century. For the warming over the last century, there is no convincing alternative explanation supported by the extent of the observational evidence.

In addition to warming, many other aspects of global climate are changing, primarily in response to human activities. Thousands of studies conducted by researchers around the world have documented changes in surface, atmospheric, and oceanic temperatures; melting glaciers; diminishing snow cover; shrinking sea ice; rising sea levels; ocean acidification; and increasing atmospheric water vapor.

For example, global average sea level has risen by about 7–8 inches since 1900, with almost half (about 3 inches) of that rise occurring since 1993. Human-caused climate change has made a substantial contribution to this rise since 1900, contributing to a rate of rise that is greater than during any preceding century in at least 2,800 years. Global sea level rise has already affected the United States; the incidence of daily tidal flooding is accelerating in more than 25 Atlantic and Gulf Coast cities.

Global average sea levels are expected to continue to rise—by at least several inches in the next 15 years and by 1–4 feet by 2100. A rise of as much as 8 feet by 2100 cannot be ruled out. Sea level rise will be higher than the global average on the East and Gulf Coasts of the United States."]

There are other reports that provide good information but I have found this one to be the most thorough and compiled by the most wide-ranging group of researchers. Here's a link if you want to read the report...it pretty huge and well organized so it's a good resource for just looking up answers to specific questions too.

https://science2017.globalchange.gov/

I hope you find the information helpful and informative.

Best regards,
Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker and So. Cal native.
@Xplorer42 on Instagram.

James Y
Member
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Southern CA

Re: Rising Ocean Levels?

Postby James Y » Wed May 15, 2019 11:32 am

Xplorer wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:19 am
When someone says they "believe" something about climate change that is opposite of what scientists around the globe agree to be factual I simply have to assume that person has not yet taken the time to look into the facts. I will also say I don't blame anyone for not doing the research and frankly there is so much misinformation offered by climate change deniers that it's (sadly) understandable why people still think this is a debatable subject. It's very important to understand that climate and weather are not the same thing. We are not able to witness weather around us an glean from that anything that speaks to actual climate change. It's also important to know that the scientific community (world-wide) is in agreement about climate change.

While it is true that the earth is very much like a living organism that will go through natural changes, the issue here is that the changes that are being realized are much more dramatic than in any time in recorded history, and most importantly are being shown to be the direct result of human activity.
Even for those who aren't concerned about global environmental affects these changes have economic, health and national security consequences that need to be taken seriously for the long term health of our nation as well as the earth.

A "few" agencies got together and compiled an incredibly extensive report that will provide you with facts and answers to your questions about the rise in sea levels and all other issues concerning climates changes.

This report was the joint effort of organizations that are doing the actual research and providing real data. Most of us have heard of most the groups that did the work here, they include...National Science Foundation, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, NASA, US Army Corp of Engineers, University of Washington, Pacific Northwest Laboratory, Texas Tech University, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Columbia University, Northern Arizona University, Rutgers University, North Carolina University, Naval Postgraduate School, National Center for Atmospheric Research, University of Illinois, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, US Department of Energy, University of Maryland, US EPA, Penn State University, UC San Diego, University of South Florida, UC Davis, Iowa State University, University of Alaska, US Department of Commerce, US Department of Agriculture, US Department of Health and Human Services, US Agency for International Development, Smithsonian Institute, US Department of Defense, US Department of State...and the list goes on..

To speak directly to JD Spydo's question about sea levels..Sea levels have risen nearly as much in the past 25 years as they did the previous 100 years before that, and they are indeed expected to continue to rise at an accelerated rate. Here's a short excerpt from the executive summary of the report I mentioned that speaks briefly about climate change and rising sea levels.

...["This assessment concludes, based on extensive evidence, that it is extremely likely that human activities, especially emissions of greenhouse gases, are the dominant cause of the observed warming since the mid-20th century. For the warming over the last century, there is no convincing alternative explanation supported by the extent of the observational evidence.

In addition to warming, many other aspects of global climate are changing, primarily in response to human activities. Thousands of studies conducted by researchers around the world have documented changes in surface, atmospheric, and oceanic temperatures; melting glaciers; diminishing snow cover; shrinking sea ice; rising sea levels; ocean acidification; and increasing atmospheric water vapor.

For example, global average sea level has risen by about 7–8 inches since 1900, with almost half (about 3 inches) of that rise occurring since 1993. Human-caused climate change has made a substantial contribution to this rise since 1900, contributing to a rate of rise that is greater than during any preceding century in at least 2,800 years. Global sea level rise has already affected the United States; the incidence of daily tidal flooding is accelerating in more than 25 Atlantic and Gulf Coast cities.

Global average sea levels are expected to continue to rise—by at least several inches in the next 15 years and by 1–4 feet by 2100. A rise of as much as 8 feet by 2100 cannot be ruled out. Sea level rise will be higher than the global average on the East and Gulf Coasts of the United States."]

There are other reports that provide good information but I have found this one to be the most thorough and compiled by the most wide-ranging group of researchers. Here's a link if you want to read the report...it pretty huge and well organized so it's a good resource for just looking up answers to specific questions too.

https://science2017.globalchange.gov/

I hope you find the information helpful and informative.

Best regards,
Chad
As I said, I'm not a scientist, and I also never claimed to be a climate change denier. I don't see anything I said that's opposite of what scientists are saying. I simply said "I believe" because I don't claim to be an expert.

There is no doubt that things are changing. Thee wilderness in the western US is getting much dryer, and the wildfires have become far more destructive overall than in past decades.

Jim

User avatar
Xplorer
Member
Posts: 645
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:41 pm

Re: Rising Ocean Levels?

Postby Xplorer » Wed May 15, 2019 12:01 pm

James Y wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:32 am
As I said, I'm not a scientist, and I also never claimed to be a climate change denier. I don't see anything I said that's opposite of what scientists are saying. I simply said "I believe" because I don't claim to be an expert.

There is no doubt that things are changing. Thee wilderness in the western US is getting much dryer, and the wildfires have become far more destructive overall than in past decades.

Jim
I get it Jim. :) I'm not trying to say there's anything wrong with what you've said and I'm certainly not suggesting you are a climate change denier. I was really trying not to personally offend anyone with my post. I'm offering the information that scientists have reported for anyone that wants to read it so that if one chooses to add more background to what they believe they can. I simply think it's very important to help anyone and everyone to dig deeper into the facts behind this issue and that's all my post was intended to do.

For a long time I personally thought that the natural changes the earth undergoes were a likely reason for all the "global warming" talk when I was younger. I thought that just because the changes are more severe than what we've recorded doesn't necessarily mean it's caused by human activity. I found it a bit alarming when I finally looked into the details and saw just how significant the changes really were, but most alarming was the consensus among such wide array of scientific and governmental organizations world-wide that conclude that human activity is the primary driver for the dramatic changes. So now that I have done a lot of research and found out I was wrong about a lot of my previous assumptions, I feel a responsibility to share what I've learned with people when the subject comes up.

Best regards,
Chad
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker and So. Cal native.
@Xplorer42 on Instagram.

User avatar
wrdwrght
Member
Posts: 2396
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Rising Ocean Levels?

Postby wrdwrght » Wed May 15, 2019 12:21 pm

JD (and whoever else might be wondering), what you want to discuss is in no way my concern. I’m just a dude on the Internet trying to stick to the rules of this Forum and have asked how this topic—one as much a part of identity politics as a woman’s right to choose—won’t head south.
Marc (a Knife Rights donor)

RECENT ARRIVAL: S90V Native5. ON RADAR: AEB-L Urban sprint; Lil’ Native; Native Chief; Maxamet PM2. IN DREAMS: 10V Military; Cruwear/K390 Shaman; 3V/4V Native Chief; Slysz Swayback; Anso Rock Lobster; Nishijin “R”; C27 serrated Jess Horn.

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 8371
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Rising Ocean Levels?

Postby bearfacedkiller » Wed May 15, 2019 1:08 pm

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

James Y
Member
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Southern CA

Re: Rising Ocean Levels?

Postby James Y » Wed May 15, 2019 1:45 pm

Xplorer wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:01 pm
James Y wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:32 am
As I said, I'm not a scientist, and I also never claimed to be a climate change denier. I don't see anything I said that's opposite of what scientists are saying. I simply said "I believe" because I don't claim to be an expert.

There is no doubt that things are changing. Thee wilderness in the western US is getting much dryer, and the wildfires have become far more destructive overall than in past decades.

Jim
I get it Jim. :) I'm not trying to say there's anything wrong with what you've said and I'm certainly not suggesting you are a climate change denier. I was really trying not to personally offend anyone with my post. I'm offering the information that scientists have reported for anyone that wants to read it so that if one chooses to add more background to what they believe they can. I simply think it's very important to help anyone and everyone to dig deeper into the facts behind this issue and that's all my post was intended to do.

For a long time I personally thought that the natural changes the earth undergoes were a likely reason for all the "global warming" talk when I was younger. I thought that just because the changes are more severe than what we've recorded doesn't necessarily mean it's caused by human activity. I found it a bit alarming when I finally looked into the details and saw just how significant the changes really were, but most alarming was the consensus among such wide array of scientific and governmental organizations world-wide that conclude that human activity is the primary driver for the dramatic changes. So now that I have done a lot of research and found out I was wrong about a lot of my previous assumptions, I feel a responsibility to share what I've learned with people when the subject comes up.

Best regards,
Chad
Your post wasn't offensive at all, Chad. I just wanted to clarify my first post. Thank you for your contributions to this thread.

See, guys? Cordial discussion is possible. :)

Jim

DSH007
Member
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:49 pm
Location: Merrimac, MA

Re: Rising Ocean Levels?

Postby DSH007 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:58 pm

Remaining as apolitical as I can..

JD, You refer to global warming as a "popular concept." This indicates to me that you acknowledge the belief is held by a majority of people and widely regarded as legitimate.. In spite of this, you claim to have "seen solid evidence (I assume scientific)" to the contrary. I find it interesting that you cite none..

You proceed to acknowledge that, due to a singular "highly regarded Professor," you are coming around to the possibility that the oceans are indeed rising.. Xplorer's measured and thoughtful response offers some insight into the scientific data gathered by thousands of additional highly regarded scientists. I hope that you and anyone else who may be on the fence as to their stance on global warming/climate change would take some time to review this information.

To more directly answer the question that you posed.. yes, I have noticed the effects of rising ocean levels. I live about 15 minutes from the ocean. Every year, flooding and coastal erosion seem more prevalent. Each year, more effort is needed to shore up beachfront property ahead of storms, and more houses seem to be damaged/destroyed due to flooding/beach erosion. That's not to say none of this happened in past years.. it just seems the frequency with which these events happen has increased in recent years. Right down the street from my house, a section of road is completely blocked off because sections of it crumbled into the river (which runs into the ocean) that runs adjacent to it. No effort has been made to fix it because it has been deemed too unsafe due to the potential of additional flooding. And I'm in Massachusetts.. pretty tame by coastal standards. I imagine those people in Florida or the Carolinas, or other areas more impacted by seasonal storms see the evidence of rising oceans on a larger scale..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..

User avatar
Liquid Cobra
Member
Posts: 6127
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:38 pm
Location: British Columbia, CANADA

Re: Rising Ocean Levels?

Postby Liquid Cobra » Wed May 15, 2019 2:01 pm

Xplorer wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:19 am
When someone says they "believe" something about climate change that is opposite of what scientists around the globe agree to be factual I simply have to assume that person has not yet taken the time to look into the facts. I will also say I don't blame anyone for not doing the research and frankly there is so much misinformation offered by climate change deniers that it's (sadly) understandable why people still think this is a debatable subject. It's very important to understand that climate and weather are not the same thing. We are not able to witness weather around us an glean from that anything that speaks to actual climate change. It's also important to know that the scientific community (world-wide) is in agreement about climate change.

While it is true that the earth is very much like a living organism that will go through natural changes, the issue here is that the changes that are being realized are much more dramatic than in any time in recorded history, and most importantly are being shown to be the direct result of human activity.
Even for those who aren't concerned about global environmental affects these changes have economic, health and national security consequences that need to be taken seriously for the long term health of our nation as well as the earth.

A "few" agencies got together and compiled an incredibly extensive report that will provide you with facts and answers to your questions about the rise in sea levels and all other issues concerning climates changes.

This report was the joint effort of organizations that are doing the actual research and providing real data. Most of us have heard of most the groups that did the work here, they include...National Science Foundation, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, NASA, US Army Corp of Engineers, University of Washington, Pacific Northwest Laboratory, Texas Tech University, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Columbia University, Northern Arizona University, Rutgers University, North Carolina University, Naval Postgraduate School, National Center for Atmospheric Research, University of Illinois, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, US Department of Energy, University of Maryland, US EPA, Penn State University, UC San Diego, University of South Florida, UC Davis, Iowa State University, University of Alaska, US Department of Commerce, US Department of Agriculture, US Department of Health and Human Services, US Agency for International Development, Smithsonian Institute, US Department of Defense, US Department of State...and the list goes on..

To speak directly to JD Spydo's question about sea levels..Sea levels have risen nearly as much in the past 25 years as they did the previous 100 years before that, and they are indeed expected to continue to rise at an accelerated rate. Here's a short excerpt from the executive summary of the report I mentioned that speaks briefly about climate change and rising sea levels.

...["This assessment concludes, based on extensive evidence, that it is extremely likely that human activities, especially emissions of greenhouse gases, are the dominant cause of the observed warming since the mid-20th century. For the warming over the last century, there is no convincing alternative explanation supported by the extent of the observational evidence.

In addition to warming, many other aspects of global climate are changing, primarily in response to human activities. Thousands of studies conducted by researchers around the world have documented changes in surface, atmospheric, and oceanic temperatures; melting glaciers; diminishing snow cover; shrinking sea ice; rising sea levels; ocean acidification; and increasing atmospheric water vapor.

For example, global average sea level has risen by about 7–8 inches since 1900, with almost half (about 3 inches) of that rise occurring since 1993. Human-caused climate change has made a substantial contribution to this rise since 1900, contributing to a rate of rise that is greater than during any preceding century in at least 2,800 years. Global sea level rise has already affected the United States; the incidence of daily tidal flooding is accelerating in more than 25 Atlantic and Gulf Coast cities.

Global average sea levels are expected to continue to rise—by at least several inches in the next 15 years and by 1–4 feet by 2100. A rise of as much as 8 feet by 2100 cannot be ruled out. Sea level rise will be higher than the global average on the East and Gulf Coasts of the United States."]

There are other reports that provide good information but I have found this one to be the most thorough and compiled by the most wide-ranging group of researchers. Here's a link if you want to read the report...it pretty huge and well organized so it's a good resource for just looking up answers to specific questions too.

https://science2017.globalchange.gov/

I hope you find the information helpful and informative.

Best regards,
Chad

Found this very informative. Thanks Chad.
Most recently acquired: Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra

User avatar
ChrisinHove
Member
Posts: 1712
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:12 am
Location: England, still in the EU.

Re: Rising Ocean Levels?

Postby ChrisinHove » Wed May 15, 2019 3:23 pm

I suppose a pertinent question (for all of us) is, whatever your current opinion, what would it take for you to be persuaded that the opposite is true?

User avatar
Peter1960
Member
Posts: 3367
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:54 pm
Location: Austria, Europe

Re: Rising Ocean Levels?

Postby Peter1960 » Wed May 15, 2019 3:40 pm

Xplorer wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:19 am
When someone says they "believe" something about climate change that is opposite of what scientists around the globe agree to be factual I simply have to assume that person has not yet taken the time to look into the facts.
How true your words are!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 15719
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Rising Ocean Levels?

Postby JD Spydo » Wed May 15, 2019 6:35 pm

OK one guys has said that the sea levels are for sure rising. Which is what I thought to be the case. I'm not a scientist either and it's fair for someone to question why I don't believe in the official narrative about the concept of "Global Warming". I guess I would really have to know what their definition of Global Warming really is. Because one scientist I follow claims that some glaciers in certain areas of the globe are actually getting thicker. To me that's not consistent with a warmer average temperature globally.

Also I have a friend who has lived in the Florida Panhandle area for most of his life. He said that as recent as the mid 1970s you could grow citrus fruits in the Florida Panhandle area. But he also said since about 1977 it has gotten considerably colder in that area and it is no longer possible to grow citrus fruits like it used to be. Two of his neighbors told me the same thing.

To me the concept of "Global Warming" would indicate to me that the entire planet is getting warmer all over the entire planet. From the information I've gathered that just isn't the case from what I've discovered. Which is why I mainly believe in a climate shift more than I do with "Global Warming". Here in the Kansas City, MO USA area where I've lived a good part of my life the weather has changed considerably in the past 20 to 25 years. We don't have nearly the snowfall we used to and it seems like the summers are getting longer and hotter. However there are also some other anomalies too>> last year ( 2018) we had the second coldest March & April that we've had in recorded history. I feel if Global Warming was the absolute truth we would be having warmer spring times not colder ones :confused:

Those are just a few observations I've seen right before my eyes that I can document. Also I got that data on the colder March & April of 2018 from "N. O.A.A." which is the national weather bureau. But hey I'm always open to look at additional evidence.

User avatar
anagarika
Member
Posts: 1681
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:59 pm

Re: Rising Ocean Levels?

Postby anagarika » Wed May 15, 2019 6:43 pm

Thank you Chad, for excellent response.

There are conflicting accounts on human role in the climate change. It depend who makes the report you read.
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/teachers-grap ... 49949.html

I think digging into the facts are important to have better understanding.
Chris :spyder:

James Y
Member
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Southern CA

Re: Rising Ocean Levels?

Postby James Y » Wed May 15, 2019 7:27 pm

I will say that last summer was the hottest and most humid I can personally recall in San Diego. The counters in my kitchen felt like a hot oven in the evening just from the heat absorbed into my house during the day. The heat and humidity were reminiscent of the summers I experienced in Taipei, Taiwan when I lived there. I'm good with dry heat, but not extra-humid heat, which was one of the things I did NOT like in Taiwan. That type of humidity is common there, but not so much in San Diego. Unfortunately, it appears that this is going to be "the new normal", as people like to say.

And I should correct some wording from my first post, because the local ocean temps were extremely warm last summer.

Jim

User avatar
Bloke
Member
Posts: 3219
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Rising Ocean Levels?

Postby Bloke » Wed May 15, 2019 8:15 pm

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:35 pm
I have a friend who has
Image
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

Extra330SC
Member
Posts: 608
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:17 pm
Location: Encinitas, CALIFORNIA

Re: Rising Ocean Levels?

Postby Extra330SC » Wed May 15, 2019 9:16 pm

Bloke wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:15 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:35 pm
I have a friend who has
Image
You've been missing in action sir...there's been a few threads in general discussion that needed to be BLOKED! :D

James

User avatar
ChrisinHove
Member
Posts: 1712
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:12 am
Location: England, still in the EU.

Re: Rising Ocean Levels?

Postby ChrisinHove » Thu May 16, 2019 1:00 am

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:35 pm
OK one guys has said that the sea levels are for sure rising. Which is what I thought to be the case. I'm not a scientist either and it's fair for someone to question why I don't believe in the official narrative about the concept of "Global Warming". I guess I would really have to know what their definition of Global Warming really is. Because one scientist I follow claims that some glaciers in certain areas of the globe are actually getting thicker. To me that's not consistent with a warmer average temperature globally.

Also I have a friend who has lived in the Florida Panhandle area for most of his life. He said that as recent as the mid 1970s you could grow citrus fruits in the Florida Panhandle area. But he also said since about 1977 it has gotten considerably colder in that area and it is no longer possible to grow citrus fruits like it used to be. Two of his neighbors told me the same thing.

To me the concept of "Global Warming" would indicate to me that the entire planet is getting warmer all over the entire planet. From the information I've gathered that just isn't the case from what I've discovered. Which is why I mainly believe in a climate shift more than I do with "Global Warming". Here in the Kansas City, MO USA area where I've lived a good part of my life the weather has changed considerably in the past 20 to 25 years. We don't have nearly the snowfall we used to and it seems like the summers are getting longer and hotter. However there are also some other anomalies too>> last year ( 2018) we had the second coldest March & April that we've had in recorded history. I feel if Global Warming was the absolute truth we would be having warmer spring times not colder ones :confused:

Those are just a few observations I've seen right before my eyes that I can document. Also I got that data on the colder March & April of 2018 from "N. O.A.A." which is the national weather bureau. But hey I'm always open to look at additional evidence.
I see what you mean. I think Global Warming refers to overall global temperature. My understanding is that as temperatures rise, weather patterns will change that will affect different areas in different ways, but overall warmer.

For example the temperate U.K. climate is moderated by the warm Atlantic Gulf Stream. If ocean currents are disrupted, (by both temperature change and dilution from freshwater melt from the poles changing seawater density perhaps) then more extremes of both hot and cold weather would be expected.

As I see it, if we wait for the full effects to manifest (and enough to convince everybody), it will be too late to do anything about it.


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DigDug72, The Meat man and 7 guests