My Persian just arrived!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

My Persian just arrived!

Post by The Deacon »

Checked the mailbox about an hour ago. It was the third time I'd checked it today and I'd just about given up hope. Considering I only purchased it with an eBay BIN on Thanksgiving Day it really was a stretch to even think it might get here today. But, thanks to super fast shipping by Sawyers, and excellent service by my local Post Office, I now hold in my hands a new Ed Shempp Persian. Well ok, had to put it down to type this, I type slow enough as it is working with two hands, but you know what I mean.

First impressions:

This knife is awesome. Fit and finish are excellent. Ed reference to it as "this vault of a knife" was no exaggeration, the blade is 1/8" thick, and the spine remains this thickness for all but the last inch of its 3 1/2" length. It is sandwiched between a pair of steel liners each about 3/64" thick. Add in the lockbar, back-strap, and those beautiful stainless bolsters, and you have an super solid framework to hang the matte finish black micarta scales on. In size it is similar to the Ayoob, the Shabaria, and the JD Smith, but weighs considerably more than any of them. I'd almost swear it weighs as much as any two of them together.

In my smallish hands the fit is perfect, my four fingers settle in with room to spare and the matte finish micarta give me confidence it will stay where I put it. Hole placement is excellent, the blade opens smoothly and easily with no feeling of over-reaching, although IMHO the hole could be bigger for easier operation with gloved hands. Lockup is typical of Spyderco front-lock folders - solid as a rock.

Forward grip is a bit scary though, the combination of a relatively shallow choil, no kick, and that wickedly sharp VG10 blade make some rather vivid images pop into my mind. Ok, I'll admit, I'm a bit paranoid to begin with, and the Native has me kind of spoiled in this regard, as it has to be about the ultimate "security blanket" for safe forward grip.

Personally, I fell that the black clip is more attractive on this knife than the shiny steel one on the prototype, as it does not compete for attention with the lines of the handle and blade. I do wish Sal would make a lefty clip for it, as this is one knife I would actually consider carrying clipped in my front pocket.

Paul
Zeppelin

Post by Zeppelin »

I saw the pictures, and that thing looks huge. I've never seen an Ayoob or a Shabaria in person. Is it close to a military? And the weight thing, would you say heavier than an SS Native II? I'm affraid I might find it too bulky for every day use, but it would still be a dang nice piece to sit around and look at.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Zeppelin, unfortunately I'm in the same boat regarding the Millie, have yet to even see one of those in person, and I don't have a SS Native here either. Best I can answer is, based on Spyderco specs (which I know are sometimes wrong), it weighs slightly less than a SS Police or Endura and a fair bit more than the SS Native (5.25 oz for the Persian, 5.5 for both the Police and Endura, and 4.6 for the Native). Biggest SS Spydie I have is the Calypso, and I can tell you the Persian is way heavier than that. As for size; based on my own measurments, the blade length is just a hair over 3.5" and the handle just under 4.75", for an OAL open of roughly 8.25" which would seem to make it a bit smaller than the Millie both opened and closed.

Paul
VWTattoo

Post by VWTattoo »

Deacon- Mine is also on it's way from Sawyer's as well. I am glad to hear your reviews and comments on it, as I am very anxious to get mine and hold it in my hand. I do have a Millie, though, so I can possibly give a side-by-side with them and post back with some pictures and verbiage.

C'mon UPS!! I also have an SE Worker coming as well- the one that has kept me waiting for WAY too long... Not an easy find, for an original Worker.
westfork

Post by westfork »

Received my Persian today. It is a very solid and attractive knife. I agree that the fit is perfect and it is one of the best looking knives I have. I don't think the weight is excessive but it is a little longer than I would use for everyday carry.
Lloyd
dialex

Post by dialex »

Congratulations on your new beautiful knife. Enjoy it.

<a href="http://users.pcnet.ro/dialex"><font color=blue>(my page)</font></a>
VWTattoo

Post by VWTattoo »

Well, I got the Persian last night, but I sent it to Spyderco Repair today. The blade looks great from a foot away, but as you really looked at the blade, the plunge cuts on the blade weren't even, and the edge was also not the same size on both sides. It also had a nick on the spine of the blade. I am hopeful that I will receive a new knife without these problems.

Other than the grind problems, it felt VERY comfortable in my hands, and was slightly tip-heavy which probably aids the cutting ability to some extent. It has very stocky bolsters, and the micarta had an excellent tactile feel to it. The tip seems to be very high, so watch yourself closing it if you swap your EDC a lot.

Please do not mistake my experience with this Persian as a complaint. I realize that sometimes things slip through QC, and I am not knocking Spyderco at all- it's just that this blade was not up to the calibre I am accustomed to with my other Spydies. For a new model knife to have these issues, I felt it prudent to have it replaced and to make Spyderco aware of these possible issues with other Persians. I still plan to give some sort of comparison between the Millie and the Persian, after I get something (new?) back from Spyderco Central. I'll be calling them later to speak with someone about it directly to see what they plan to do for me.
dynaryder

Post by dynaryder »

Don't have a Persian(yet),but here's a quickie size comparo. Delica is added for scale.