How have your preferences changed over the years?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

How have your preferences changed over the years?

Post by vivi »

About six years ago I asked this question here. I figured it's about time to ask it again.

I don't know about the rest of you, but my preferences have changed a bit since 2017.

Here's the 2017 version - viewtopic.php?p=1165792#p1165792

Short version of my answer from back then:

* switched to pretty much exclusively carrying H1 and other highly corrosion resistant steels
* switched to IWB carry 95%+ of the time
* stopped carrying detent based locks
* started to prefer frn over g10
* carried SE more than PE for the first time in my life.

So how have things changed for me since then?

* Went back to plain edge. I still have a CE Resilience in my rotation, and still have other serrated knives, but I rarely carry them. Tying into my next point, I found changing how I sharpened my plain edged folders gave them superior performance to my serrated folders for most of my uses.

* I started sharpening almost all my plain edged cutting tools to a 200-300 grit finish. The only exceptions are axes and a couple kitchen knives I use at work. Everything else gets a coarse finish. I found this gave me better performance than either polished plain edges or serrated edges. Materials don't slip off as easily as a polished edge, but there's a world less chance the edge snags on materials vs a serrated edge. Best of both worlds in terms of cutting action, while being significantly faster, easier and less expensive to apply than polished edges.

* I have completely and utterly deprioritized edge holding. Thanks to my coarse edges, I do not even have to think about this aspect of my knives any more. As a point of reference, I went two months carrying my rastasalt (PE H1 Pacific Salt) just about every day. Two weeks into my experiment I accidently chopped it into some rusted old wire fencing while clearing some thorny brush ( viewtopic.php?p=1711209#p1711209 ). The edge was chipped, the entire apex rolled, but the knife still cut so I kept using it. A month and a half later it still cuts fine. Contrast that with a post I read here yesterday about someone that carries a maxamet knife and a 15V knife and "polishes them every couple of days." I could get by carrying a PE H1 knife year round and sharpening it four times a year based on the results of my two month test, as I typically don't damage my edges like I did with this one.

* I've started moving away from designs that don't have a well exposed opening hole. The Chief and Siren are some of my favorite designs overall, but this one nitpick is one reason I choose the Pacific Salt and Resilience over them.

* Speaking of the Resilience vs Chief, I find myself becoming more critical of large index choils as time goes on. I rarely use them, as I don't find they offer much benefit on an already tiny knife (My 10" super blue gyuto is my most used knife, so any folder is small to me). How much do I really need to choke up if a blade is only 4" long and the handle goes up to the edge? The answer is not much, if at all. I can't think of a time I've been using my Resilience and felt it was cumbersome to cut with. So index choils often feel like wasted space for how I use my folders, and present an area for materials to get snagged on. I don't carry models that require index choils to get a full grip so that perk is lost on me too.

* I'm far less inclined to try every model out there. I look at each new release with a different view. Instead of "that's kind of cool, I'll try it out!" it has become "what would this knife do better than a Pacific Salt?" and the answer, for me at least, is usually zilch. If I can't justify a good reason to carry a new design over my favorite, then I pass.

* I've pretty much stopped buying fixed blades. When the Aqua Salt got discontinued, I bought 4, and haven't bought another fb since. Between my Street Beats, Aqua Salts, machetes, some Moras, $2000 worth of kitchen knives and my Scientifically Superior S7 Chopper, I'm set. While I have slowed down on folders too, I still buy some here and there, like the Stretch XL, and likely a Military 2 DLC.

* Detent based locks are back in the line-up. I only carry ones with a strong detent, but so far they've been doing ok. I wish every comp lock had the detent my Yojumbos do, they're perfect. Very firm detent, but not burdensome to overcome. Been carrying those and my Resiliences tip up IWB without issue so far. Plan to carry the Military 2 the same way should I end up getting one.

* I've become fond of brighter, more colorful handles. I was never wild about plain yellow salts, but I've started buying them to dye them different colors. I have a variety of greens, and of course my rastasalt, a yellow Pacific 1 with the rear end dyed green and the front of the handle dyed red. Blacked out is still cool in my eyes but a little variety can be fun.

* I'm happier than I've ever been with my collection. I've got 5 Aqua Salts, ~20 Pacific Salts from each generation, and my favorite versions of a select few other models (M4/micarta Manix XL, M4 Chiefs, Sprint C95, etc.) I mostly just carry the same Pacific Salt every day, and I love it. I'm happier clipping the same knife to my waistband every morning than going through a drawer full deciding what to carry.

* Less experimentation. Old me would have bought an H2 Pacific on day 1 to compare to H2. Ten years ago I'd have bought a maxamet folder and a 15v folder to see which holds an edge longer. These days I don't care. I found what works for me, and if a new steel like magnacut comes along that offers 20% more edge retention, I don't care. I can go months between sharpenings with what I carry, which is good enough for me. It's a dragon I no longer care to chase, because eeking out a little more performance from my pocket knife just doesn't matter to me as much as other things in life do at this point.

How about you?
:unicorn
Bolster

Re: How have your preferences changed over the years?

Post by Bolster »

An interesting read to see how your preferences have changed, Vivi! Should make for a very interesting thread, good idea. Here are my changes during 15 years and 4000+ posts on this forum:

Heavy & Mid-weight —> light weight
Micarta, Wood —> FRN & FRCP
Bolsters (my screen name!) —> no bolsters
Ingot steels —> PM steels
Lansky & stones —> Hapstone & diamonds sharpening system
Any blade shape —> blades with mid-to-low tips
Have narrowed most purchases to preferred 3” blade size
Preference for small radius under the index finger on the handle
Less concern about corrosion resistance
No longer purchase liner locks, seldom a frame lock
Prefer deep carry clips.
Frequently use an interchangeable blade utility knife at work (!)
Buy many more mules than before.

Looking forward to seeing how others' preferences have changed over time!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

I’ve only been into Spydercos for a few years. Originally preferred the compression lock (I still like it most for single handed closing) but started to prefer lockbacks even though they are slightly more complicated to close one handed. I was also big into smaller sized blades, around 2.5” but have come to appreciate a 3.5” blade.

As someone who is still new to knives I appreciate peoples take on edge retention. So many reviews or overviews of a knife stress how great S110V and maxamet are because of the retention. Which isn’t the only aspect of a steel. Glad to read that people appreciate serrated edges or H1, which everyone online says is junk.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

I have found myself carrying smaller knives as a I have gotten older. I am also not all that concerned about the latest new supersteel. The handle shape and lock is more important to me than what steel the blade is made out of. I have started to really appreciate lockback knives too. They are simple to use.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I've always had a preference for tool steel and larger knifes, and that's not changed. The one area where I've completely flip-flopped is with compression locks. I thought they were awful for left handed users. They still are... kind of. But with the addition of a button/nub, they're really great. I haven't gone out and purchased a crate of compression locks, but now it's no longer a deal-breaker.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

vivi wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:12 am
About six years ago I asked this question here. I figured it's about time to ask it again.
Great idea for a thread, vivi, it's very interesting to read how your knife preferences have changed, and I look forward to reading others' experiences.

Many of my own knife preferences have definitely changed since 2017, though some of that has been due to changes in my work context rather than any sort of decision based on new insights gained from experience—some design/material features that were more important in my previous job simply aren't as important in my current one, and vice versa.

My folding knife preferences six years ago were fairly rigid & could be best encapsulated by the C41PSBK5 (Native 5 Lightweight, S35VN, Combo Edge), which was my most used & carried work & EDC folder at the time:
IMG_20230608_145415_700.jpg
  • Lock type: A strong preference for the mid-backlock.
  • Blade shape: A slight preference for drop point or spear point and a slight preference for a low-profile or non-existent thumb ramp over a prominent thumb ramp.
  • Edge type: A slight preference for fully or partially serrated edges over plain edge.
  • Steel: A strong preference for stainless steel, with VG-10 representing my baseline as far as material properties (edge retention, toughness, corrosion resistance).
  • Dimensions: A somewhat strong preference for knives that weigh < 3 ounces & blade length of ~3 inches.
In 2023, those preferences have loosened significantly. When I take stock of my most used knives of the year thus far, it doesn't seem like I have strict preferences in lock type, blade shape, edge type, steel and dimensions. Off the top of my head, my most used & carried knives (at work & for EDC) are the Yojimbo 2 (S30V), Lil' Temperance 3 LW SE (VG-10), Native 5 LW (SPY27), Endura 4 (ZDP-189), Delica 4 (K390), and Para Military 2 (Cru-Wear).
IMG_20230608_145427_944.jpg
That list includes mid-backlocks, compression locks, plain edges, serrated edges, stainless steels, non-stainless steels, different blade shapes, blade lengths that range from just under 3 inches all the way up to 3.75 inches, and weights of 2.4 oz. at the low end and 4 oz. at the top end.

This broadening of preferences is due in large part to becoming more adaptable, as well as growing more open-minded as I continue to learn from more knowledgeable folks and the diverse opinions/experiences of people in this forum & elsewhere.

My work situation (as far as knife use) has changed a lot over time as well: I used to cut a lot more synthetic rope, straps, and netting, as well as damp and wet cardboard. I don't cut as much rope, straps & netting at work these days, and the cardboard I cut is almost always dry. I don't have to wear very thick, insulated work gloves these days, either (there was a 3-year stretch when I worked in subzero temperatures), so I am better able to use lock-types that require working a fingertip into a narrow space to actuate.

And some of the changes in my preferences are due to factors that I never really thought would directly affect my knife use. For instance, my old preference for a ~3 inch blade & a weight under 3 oz. had a lot to do with the fact that I used to keep my folder in my right front pants pocket, where it had to share real estate with my smartphone. As smartphones have gotten larger & larger, however, I've switched to keeping my folder in my right back pants pocket (or the right rear accessory/magazine pocket in the Vertx pants/jeans I wear to work), where it doesn't have to share space with anything else, thus enabling me to comfortably carry larger &/or heavier folders.

Paradoxically, even as I've broadened my folding knife preferences through the years, I find that currently, I am less likely to actually buy new designs or established models in different materials. I was much more prone to FOMO several years ago, whereas now, I am a lot less susceptible to hype because I know a lot more about knife steels than I used to, and also because I have had so much more time to zero in on what design elements work best for me ergonomically. It also has to do with learning to be happier & more content with what I have, and being more honest & realistic about my knife use. I have a smaller Spyderco folder collection now than the one I had in 2020, but outside of a few rare-ish specimens, every knife in my current collection is either a user or a knife that I keep for very specific, occasional use cases (a couple of Salt models, a slipjoint, small folders for carry & use in situations where openly using a knife might be problematic, etc.). I've gifted away a significant portion of my knife collection over the past couple of years and I've found just as much joy in introducing people to what a day-to-day game-changer having a quality folding knife can be as I have in acquiring folders.

I'm as curious and enthusiastic about new blade steels and knife designs as I've ever been—I'm as intrigued by MagnaCut as the next knife steel nerd—but no longer feel the need to keep up with the cutting edge (pardon the pun) of the hobby as far as actually owning the latest and greatest when they come out.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

-I no longer appreciate a 50/50 choil and prefer the handle goes to the edge or close enough
-Wharncliffe has become my favorite blade shape
-I have gone from enjoying the colorful handles to preferring black
-I learned to love the stock Spyderco clip
vivi

Post by vivi »

RugerNurse wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:04 pm
I’ve only been into Spydercos for a few years. Originally preferred the compression lock (I still like it most for single handed closing) but started to prefer lockbacks even though they are slightly more complicated to close one handed. I was also big into smaller sized blades, around 2.5” but have come to appreciate a 3.5” blade.

As someone who is still new to knives I appreciate peoples take on edge retention. So many reviews or overviews of a knife stress how great S110V and maxamet are because of the retention. Which isn’t the only aspect of a steel. Glad to read that people appreciate serrated edges or H1, which everyone online says is junk.
Since you're new here you probably haven't seen the 500 times me and wartstein have posted videos showing one handed closing methods for different locks. Here's three ways you can try closing your lockbacks:

https://streamja.com/RJwGR

Personally I use the second method most of the time, but I'll use the last method with my Siren. Most folks here seem to use the first method but I find that slower and more cumbersome than #2.

Outside of this forum most peoples opinions on serrations are pretty worthless in my experience. They don't know how to sharpen them, they don't appreciate the different types of serrations, and they have zero experience on the difference in cutting action between a brand new serrated edge and one that's been sharpened enough to round the points a bit.

Edge holding is seriously over prioritized in a lot of circles. With how rarely a lot of the pocket jewelry office worker crowd uses their knives it's a weird obsession to have. A lot of "garbage tier steels" like 420c, 440c, H1, O1, 1085, 8Cr, N690, BD1, BD1N etc. are an absolute joy to sharpen compared to the likes of maxamet.

I'm a chef by trade and I have no issues using simple steels like white #1 to break down hundreds of pounds of meat into steaks.
vivi

Post by vivi »

spydergoat wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:09 pm
-I no longer appreciate a 50/50 choil and prefer the handle goes to the edge or close enough
-Wharncliffe has become my favorite blade shape
-I have gone from enjoying the colorful handles to preferring black
-I learned to love the stock Spyderco clip
Wharnies are nice. Still hoping we see a wharncliffe Pacific Salt some day. That would give me a great excuse to try out H2 since I'm already sitting on enough regular Pacific 2's to last Noah for life.

I'm pretty surprised at how unpopular the stock clips are here. They're very well thought out not only in terms of doing their job, but also is regards to how their placement lines up with the ergonomics the knife. A lot of after market clips are ergonomically inferior, and speaking as someone that moonlights as a security guard, people can still tell you're carrying a knife.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Mostly my preferences have evolved with the evolution of the knife market. The only somewhat radical change I've made was to prefer blades that are more pointed. I had a Buck Prince or something else from that line that had a relatively blunt tip. Searching the internet for photos what I find now all have fairly pointed blades but mine was relatively blunt. I've learned over the years that I use the point a lot so now I prefer knives that have fairly keen points.
Other changes in preferences- the previously mentioned Buck was a lockback and did not have clips or one-handed opening. As I've discovered those things I've embraced them. I also prefer locks that are more one-hand oriented such as liner locks, BBL, compression lock. These have all been relatively gradual changes. As I discovered sprints/exclusives and more esoteric steels I've moved to them. My EDC rotation has moved almost completely to Spyderco knives with steels such as S110V, M4, K390 and Rex45.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Generally speaking … not much!!!!!

Where it hasn’t changed:

Delica is my favorite folder and has been for over a decade,

Still find fixed blades of more interest than folders!!!!!

Where it has changed:

Open to trying differing designs and metals other than stainles steel.

Liking wharncliffe more than PE in Delica edc format,

No more nail nick folders.

Sub $100 knives to over $500 on fixed blades … if they peak my interest.

CG

Last edited by cycleguy on Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I started out preferring larger, overbuilt knives with tactical implications. I also did not like choils.

Nowadays some of my most carried Spydercos are my Rhino & Chaparral LW.

Mostly this was driven by 2 factors - career change & age.

I'm no longer a 20 something Medic in the Infantry, EMT, or even 30 something CNA/Med Tech. I work hospital admissions now. I sit at a computer mostly with my knife getting used to open boxes of printer paper, labels, wristbands, and slice post-it notes for fun.

My outdoors use has gone from week long backpacking trips to weekend car camping.

My knife buying has definitely slowed down, but the passion is still there. Sure I have more than enough knives for any task I may run into for the rest of my life. But I still have that inner kid that was fascinated by King Arthur's sword Excaliber, Elric's sword Stormbringer, Gandalf & Glamdring, Bilbo & Sting, and on & on. I'll think I'm about done, then I see something, pick it up, inwardly Walter Mitty it, then end up having to have it.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

When I bought my first knife back around 93/94, I had no clue as to different steels (and steel choices were limited), makers, or blade profiles. I did not know what a good bushcraft knife profile looked like compared to a fighting or self defense knife.

Then I studied Filipino Martial Arts a bit starting around 2001, and began to collect knives in 2015. A few knives per year turned into a few knives per week and once in a while a few knives per day. I maintained a few lists of what to buy so that I avoided snap decisions, and the collection grew to around $20,000+ in value. I never considered it too large. But I had started to become an informed purchaser of knives. I now know the basics of steels, know what data and what charts to look at given the work of Larrin Thomas, and having watched hundreds of hours of YouTube videos on all manner of knife use. I'm now an educated customer and last year sold half of my collection off.

I still "collect knives" but buying knives is restricted due to not working full-time, and I look at far more knives before I make a decision.

I still buy fixed and folder. Thinking about buying a couple of "large" OTF knives from Microtech.

Always have bought plain edge knives, but now that new Spyderco Native Chief releases include serrations, I'll buy a few. The Spyderco Native Chief is the only brand and model that I seriously collect.

Now that I understand what the different steels are all about and I have charts, I can buy the right knife, machete or short-sword. I have a ballpark with regard to performance before I make the purchase.

Early on I bought a few knives that I would not carry today that fall into the 2.5 to <3.7 inch blade length. They have inconvenient lengths. I ONLY BUY folders that are Chicago length legal or in the 3.7+ to 5 inch blade length range now, and they must have high edge retention. The only thing that I am going to use a folder for is self defense, I do not open boxes with my self defense knives.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Danke

Post by Danke »

Happy to buy knives that are not 100% tactical for one. Second willing to try knives that on first glance I don't like.
Ric

Post by Ric »

I started mainly with the Para 3 G10.
As the lightweight came out I switched to it.
Now I am more into the Dragonflys.

A lightweight 2-2.5 inch compression lock knife would be cool.
I have high hopes in the lil native lightweight...
Erion929

Post by Erion929 »

— Never liked Spydercos, purely due to cosmetics

— Bought ~25 Chinese-made knives over the last 5 years (Kizer, Twosun, Bestech, Kansept, We, Civivi, etc.)

— YouTube vids opened my eyes to a Manix 2….”flatter” cosmetics with less thumb ramp, fell in love with that‼️

— 2 weeks later, just bought two PM2s (M4 Lava Flow fatcarbon and a Cruwear)…..intrigued and wanting to try the differing steels. NEVER thought I’d buy a PM2, had to see what the major fuss was about, LOL. Now, I’m actually liking the look 😂

— Have begun selling off some knives in favor of more Spydercos….guess they’re like Glocks!

JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I’ve enjoyed reading this thread a lot.

In a nutshell I’ve stopped buying with my eyes and started buying with my experience.

I used to be very fixated on comp locks for rapid opening and closing one handed, but I’ve come to realise that all folders are a compromise when compared to fixed blades for my work uses. Nowadays I generally carry a primary fixed blade of something relatively tough and stainless (Magnacut or Elmax usually) for wood tasks, a serrated folder that I can resharpen easily (H1 or LC200N are my current favourites for this) for dirty tasks like cutting muddy ropes, and a PE blade with decent edge retention for cutting up anything else clean and food stuffs. If I’m grafting trees I like a PE Wharncliffe blade, but I’m not picky which (Yojumbo/Yojimbo/Dragonfly) so long as it stays shaving sharp for as close to a full day of work as possible. The only lock types I actively don’t like (and this is just personal preference) is RIL and frame locks - they just feel awkward to me 🤷🏼‍♂️

My main takeaway thus far is - buy it and decide yourself, don’t be swept up by the hype train.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

The most noticeable changes in my preferences overtime are:

1. Acceptable blade length got longer - I just can't seem to like anything below 85mm, best over 100mm (~4"), apart from tiny knives like my pink Dragonfly
2. Cutting ability became the second most important consideration, especially BTE thickness, instead of something that was a happy bonus, but nothing I even thought of when buying knives.
3. I still like chasing new steels but I'm much happier with OPTIMAL steels (fit for the design and budget)
4. Action became much less of a consideration - I'm not so enamored with bearings, even converted a couple ball-bearinged knives to PB washers. It's fun sometimes but it's also somewhat lifeless, good washer action gives me much more fun than most ball-bearing pivots.
5. I'm much more weight conscious, finding the sub 1oz/1" edge knife gives me the "fizz", 1g/1mm is even better :O.

On the other hand, there's a couple things that haven't changed and have even been reinforced:

1. Absolutely no tip-down carry. I just can't stand it, no matter how cool the design might seem or however many other checkboxes it might tick, I don't even kid myself I'll like it and skip it.
2. Even though I'm perfectly capable of sharpening them now I still dislike recurves. They just don't jive with me and 99% of the time I just skip them
3. One-hand opening is still a must. Apart from sometimes owning a single knife for travel purposes (and of course the mandatory Swiss Army Knife) two-handed knives don't do it for me at all
benben

Post by benben »

Used to be, without question.
*Golden made.
*G-10.
*Plain edge.

Now….(we’re on vacation this week, brought three knives with me).
*All three are Seki made.
*All three are FRN.
*All three are serrated.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Well my answer is not so complicated as I haven’t been into REAL knives that long (Nov. 2021)…I will say I have a preference for Salt knives and the steels they come in but trying Cruwear changed all that…also getting my hands on a wharnie and more serrated blades has opened my mind and my wallet 😳…I like small/medium/large sized knives,different lock types and scale materials but FOMO is still a work in progress, at least I’ve reduced the different brands down to just a few…really good thread for seeing what other’s preferences are and how they’ve changed and Vivi I consciously omitted any quotation marks for your viewing pleasure 👊