Manix 2 ball cage lock on other knives!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ezzimist76

Manix 2 ball cage lock on other knives!

Post by Ezzimist76 »

I'm starting a petition to get the greatest knife company to ever exist, Spyderco, to release industry classics like the Paramilitary 2 or the Shaman with the ball cage lock. Please do this! This would be the biggest news in the knife world since the invention of the pocket clip (also a Spyderco first). Thank you
Scandi Grind

Re: Manix 2 ball cage lock on other knives!

Post by Scandi Grind »

I'd bet if they do more knives with the CBBL they will be new models, which frankly I would have no problem with. I'd love to see a Mini Manix that would reside in the size range of the Native and Para 3.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

Im surprised they haven't produced another knife yet with a CBBL. I'd certainly be interested.
JackRussell

Post by JackRussell »

There's always the p'kal, if you can find one.
cjk

Post by cjk »

jmj3esq wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:03 pm
Im surprised they haven't produced another knife yet with a CBBL. I'd certainly be interested.
There's also the P'kal in addition to the two Manix 2 sizes.

I think the lock is brilliant. The wear surface on the ball bearing seems pretty huge compared to other lock types, so it seems like it'd probably last forever.

I'd be really interested in Spyderco taking the bones of the P'kal and making a similar sized, but a bit more conventionally shaped handle and blade.
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Dont know if it’s possible but a sage would be nice.
Erion929

Post by Erion929 »

Just don’t start with a slim plastic cage that calls for mods right off the bat….
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

capt.carl wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:16 pm
Look up Sage 3. It would be nice to see its return. Even just an exclusive or sprint.
I have never held one, however seems similar to the CBBL.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

capt.carl wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:16 pm

Was gonna say the same. Have waited long time for the CBBL to show up in a line of knives designed specifically to showcase different types of locks.

The two-hundred-dollar question is: how small a knife can a CBBL fit into? Can it even fit into the Sage?

:thinking
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

I second anything that will lead to more CBBL knife models being introduced. Anything.

It's by far my favourite folding knife lock and it boggles my mind it's not present on more knives... I'd happily buy knives just because they sport that lock.
notorious fidgeteer
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Erion929 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:40 pm
Just don’t start with a slim plastic cage that calls for mods right off the bat….

Well, I had/have three Manix 2 LWs so far which really took a beating in all kinds of conditions, got opened and closed many,many times and dropped several times.

No problems whatsoever with the factory cage. Perfectly sturdy and great in use imo.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ezzimist76 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:04 am
I'm starting a petition to get the greatest knife company to ever exist, Spyderco, to release industry classics like the Paramilitary 2 or the Shaman with the ball cage lock. Please do this! This would be the biggest news in the knife world since the invention of the pocket clip (also a Spyderco first). Thank you

Completely on board!!

For me personally a CBBL on PM2 and/or Shaman would be a real upgrade in several aspects.

And I´d love to see more CBBL models generally!

Don´t know why this locktype gets used so seldom?

It offers a good self closing bias, has a really solid lock up, does not mess with the ergos since there is no cutout in the handle, is completely ambidextrous, can be operated one handed in at least six or seven different ways, gives folks who really need that the "finger out of the blade path" thing, is easy to use with gloves on, and so on...

Only con I can think of: Some designs are just not possible or a lot harder to do with this lock, its size and the way it sits in the handle.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I wonder if the relative dearth of CBBL options in Spyderco’s lineup has anything to do with some other knife manufacturers using visually similar designs almost exclusively? I often get asked if my Manix 2 XL’s are a ‘cool new benchmade model’ or a Hogue (I then get to enjoy introducing people to Spyderco, so it’s all good).

The comp lock is Spyderco’s own innovation, so it makes sense to me that they would capitalise on that key market differentiator by utilising it in a bevvy of high profile modern Spyderco models (para2 and 3 having huge collector followings especially).

I’ve handled the Dodo and the Sage 3(?? Not sure about the number) with the ball locking situations, and they were nice.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
vivi

Post by vivi »

I support more CBBL models. 100% with you on this one. Incredibly smooth action, easy one handed operation, and a decent self close. What else can you ask for in a lock?
:unicorn
Erion929

Post by Erion929 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:05 am
Erion929 wrote:

Well, I had/have three Manix 2 LWs so far which really took a beating in all kinds of conditions, got opened and closed many,many times and dropped several times.

No problems whatsoever with the factory cage. Perfectly sturdy and great in use imo.

I wasn’t really being negative on the plastic. It’s just that, at least with the G10 model, the grip purchase is slim. With that slim purchase and strong spring, it’s not an easy, smooth operation. I don’t know if the LW handle is cut differently to allow better access to the cage?
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm still baffled at stiff spring issues with CBBL's. I've handled over a hundred of them at this point and none of them required more than my thumb to release.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:55 am
I'm still baffled at stiff spring issues with CBBL's. I've handled over a hundred of them at this point and none of them required more than my thumb to release.

Same here. Though I definitely did not handle hundreds, rather just five or so... :grimace :smirk
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Erion929 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:49 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:05 am
Erion929 wrote:

I wasn’t really being negative on the plastic. It’s just that, at least with the G10 model, the grip purchase is slim. With that slim purchase and strong spring, it’s not an easy, smooth operation. I don’t know if the LW handle is cut differently to allow better access to the cage?

I don´t think it is actually cut differently - perhaps it gives better purchase though due to the FRCP texturing?
Can´t tell, I just briefly handled a G10 Manix, but have no real experience but a lot with the LWs

They were all easy to operate - in several ways (see these vids I posted once viewtopic.php?t=87806#p1459252 )
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I am a big fan on the Manix lock. It would be good to see in other knives.

On the other hand the only lock that I am not crazy about is the liner lock.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
cjk

Post by cjk »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:55 am
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're also a giant.
I'm pretty sure you have more leverage than little 5 foot 8 me on pretty much anything . :smlling-eyes